PDA

View Full Version : Remembering History

fadada1
6/6/2010, 06:57 AM
Remember today's anniversary in your lives today. 66 years ago we landed at Normandy. Remember the lives lost and sacrifices made so we can enjoy a quiet summer Sunday. Quite possibly the most important day in the history of our planet - remember and honor it.

SoonerInFla
6/6/2010, 07:39 AM
Interestingly enough, I have went to my hometown newspaper site, fox,cnn,yahoo and aol. Not a mention of D-Day on the front of any of those sites. Thought maybe I had gone screwy and forgot the date, or had it wrong. Anyways, I figured somebody in here remembered.

Leroy Lizard
6/6/2010, 11:41 AM
Yet let it be the anniversary of Mexico's defeat of a French Army in Mexico and we have to pull out the Coronas.

Totally, absolutely bizarre. I mean, think about it. We don't celebrate our own victories; we celebrate the victory of a foreign power over another foreign power on foreign soil.

olevetonahill
6/6/2010, 12:19 PM
Limptard, Ya got a mouse in yer pocket? whats this we ****?:rolleyes:

SoonerInKCMO
6/6/2010, 12:45 PM
Yet let it be the anniversary of Mexico's defeat of a French Army in Mexico and we have to pull out the Coronas.

Totally, absolutely bizarre. I mean, think about it. We don't celebrate our own victories; we celebrate the victory of a foreign power over another foreign power on foreign soil.

Would you really want the memory of D-Day cheapened by the type of drunken foolishness that accompanies Cinco de Mayo?

"Hey! It's the anniversary of the biggest battle of the biggest war in our history! Let's drink cheap beer and eat nachos!"

diegosooner
6/6/2010, 12:56 PM
Thank you Allied Forces! And **** you Hitler!

Leroy Lizard
6/6/2010, 02:37 PM
Limptard, Ya got a mouse in yer pocket? whats this we ****?:rolleyes:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/we

Leroy Lizard
6/6/2010, 02:38 PM
Would you really want the memory of D-Day cheapened by the type of drunken foolishness that accompanies Cinco de Mayo?

"Hey! It's the anniversary of the biggest battle of the biggest war in our history! Let's drink cheap beer and eat nachos!"

You do have a point there.

olevetonahill
6/6/2010, 02:41 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/we

:rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
6/6/2010, 02:55 PM
No charge for that information.

TUSooner
6/6/2010, 02:55 PM
You do have a point there.

WHAT !?!? A point conceded by LL !?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D :D :D

But seriously, it was one of the greatest battles, greatest events, greatest days, and greatest victories of good over evil, in all of recorded human history. I'll drink a good beer to the memory of all who made it happen, and to the spirit and determination of an unprecedented alliance of freedom-loving peoples, particularly but not exclusively those of the English speaking world led by the USA and the British Empire.

Is it ironic that I'm toasting this tremendous victory with a beer made in Louisiana by a post-WWII German immigrant?

MR2-Sooner86
6/7/2010, 08:10 AM
Don't forget those who survived. My grandfather went in, first wave, and going up the beach head they had to take down a wall which when exploded parts fell on his legs. He got the purple heart for it.
Anyway, everybody in the family thinks that day screwed him up for life. Saving Private Ryan really sticks with you but actually being there? I know I wouldn't be the same again. I don't think anybody would.

swardboy
6/7/2010, 08:45 AM
Ah, back when our intelligence was...intelligent.

olevetonahill
6/7/2010, 09:15 AM
WHAT !?!? A point conceded by LL !?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D :D :D

But seriously, it was one of the greatest battles, greatest events, greatest days, and greatest victories of good over evil, in all of recorded human history. I'll drink a good beer to the memory of all who made it happen, and to the spirit and determination of an unprecedented alliance of freedom-loving peoples, particularly but not exclusively those of the English speaking world led by the USA and the British Empire.

Is it ironic that I'm toasting this tremendous victory with a beer made in Louisiana by a post-WWII German immigrant?

Kev, Substitute Horrible for Greatest and Ya got it

Don't forget those who survived. My grandfather went in, first wave, and going up the beach head they had to take down a wall which when exploded parts fell on his legs. He got the purple heart for it.
Anyway, everybody in the family thinks that day screwed him up for life. Saving Private Ryan really sticks with you but actually being there? I know I wouldn't be the same again. I don't think anybody would.

Mr, i rented that movie, took me 3 weeks to get past the 1st 15 minutes., jes sayin

TUSooner
6/7/2010, 07:55 PM
Kev, Substitute Horrible for Greatest and Ya got it

Mr, i rented that movie, took me 3 weeks to get past the 1st 15 minutes., jes sayin

No doubt. And I'll never watch Saving Pvt Ryan again.
But I meant "greatest" in its original sense of "biggest."