PDA

View Full Version : Cooking shows

Leroy Lizard
6/6/2010, 12:08 AM
Are these shows getting a bit over the top? You would think they are preparing to charge up San Juan Hill the way they carry on. Had I realized that cooking a steak involved so much strategy and conflict, I would have left a bigger tip.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/6/2010, 12:32 AM
Who cooks, you or your wife?

Leroy Lizard
6/6/2010, 04:10 AM
I barbecue. I don't cook.

delhalew
6/6/2010, 08:15 AM
I barbecue. I don't cook.

Cooking is WAR!!!
Seriously though, it's like everything else. They work so hard adding drama to the mundane, they render the shows unwatchable.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/6/2010, 08:50 AM
I like Top Chef and I'll watch The Next Food Network Star tonight.

But you're right, when they have 24-7 to fill their schedule of shows, some shows are going to be substandard.

JohnnyMack
6/6/2010, 09:12 AM
Man vs. Food

Harry Beanbag
6/6/2010, 09:40 AM
Alton Brown is over the top, but interesting nonetheless. I don't watch anything else.

delhalew
6/6/2010, 10:57 AM
Alton Brown is over the top, but interesting nonetheless. I don't watch anything else.

Alton Brown is awesome. I like some scientific info with my cooking shows.

delhalew
6/6/2010, 10:59 AM
Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is not bad. I like Paula Dean. Bobby Flay is ok, but his throwdown show is kind of pointless.

Harry Beanbag
6/6/2010, 11:03 AM
Triple D, Andrew Zimmern, and Man vs. Food aren't really cooking shows, they're eating shows. :)

delhalew
6/6/2010, 11:05 AM
Triple D, Andrew Zimmern, and Man vs. Food aren't really cooking shows, they're eating shows. :)

Heh, true.

Ruuuuuufus
6/6/2010, 01:30 PM
I like to watch Chopped from time to time just to see what wild food combination they can come up with only to see them get criticized and talked down to by the judges.

Diners, drive-ins and dives would be much more watchable if it wasn't hosted by that bleached spiky haired clown.

olevetonahill
6/6/2010, 01:36 PM
Yall that watch "Cookin Shows" are jes a tad lower in intelligence than those who watch Survivor or some of those other realty shows . and they rank just lower than folks who watch a lot of TeeVee in the 1st place .:D

GottaHavePride
6/6/2010, 01:40 PM
I'll watch Alton Brown - I like his explanations of why stuff works.

I'll watch Gordon Ramsay's shows, because he's seriously amazing. And I like that when it's warranted, he actually will tell a customer to **** off dip **** and get out of his restaurant.

GottaHavePride
6/6/2010, 01:41 PM
Oh, and I'll watch ANdrew Zimmern and Anthony Bourdain because they will eat any damn thing people put in front of them.

And Anthony Bourdain has some EPIC rips on Food Network in his blog posts.

KC//CRIMSON
6/6/2010, 01:44 PM
Watch the Cooking Channel if you really want to learn something.

KC//CRIMSON
6/6/2010, 01:46 PM
Oh, and I'll watch ANdrew Zimmern and Anthony Bourdain because they will eat any damn thing people put in front of them.

And Anthony Bourdain has some EPIC rips on Food Network in his blog posts.

Epic rips on Rachel Ray too.

Leroy Lizard
6/6/2010, 02:31 PM
Yall that watch "Cookin Shows" are jes a tad lower in intelligence than those who watch Survivor or some of those other realty shows . and they rank just lower than folks who watch a lot of TeeVee in the 1st place .:D

I don't think cooking shows are worse than reality shows like Survivor and The Batchelorette, but I tend to agree, especially about tv in general.

ouleaf
6/6/2010, 06:56 PM
Food Network - Enjoy watching Alton Brown, Bobby Flay, and Mario Batali the most. The other hosts/shows are okay to watch from time to time. I suppose my guilty pleasure would have to be Every Day Italian. Giada is purty.

Top Chef/Top Chef masters - Love the competition aspect, quality of food prepared, and high technical skills required.

Gordon Ramsay - All his shows are ridiculous, but that doesn't mean I won't watch them. The best is actually watching the old BBC versions of his shows over here. He seems much more authentic there.

Man vs. Food - All around awesome to watch.

olevetonahill
6/6/2010, 08:33 PM
Food Network - Enjoy watching Alton Brown, Bobby Flay, and Mario Batali the most. The other hosts/shows are okay to watch from time to time. I suppose my guilty pleasure would have to be Every Day Italian. Giada is purty.

Top Chef/Top Chef masters - Love the competition aspect, quality of food prepared, and high technical skills required.

Gordon Ramsay - All his shows are ridiculous, but that doesn't mean I won't watch them. The best is actually watching the old BBC versions of his shows over here. He seems much more authentic there.

Man vs. Food - All around awesome to watch.

:eek:
Give me a good novel any time Versus a dumas TeeVee show.:cool:

Turd_Ferguson
6/6/2010, 08:42 PM
I'd give a weeks pay check just to have Gordon personally tell me to **** off:D

TUSooner
6/6/2010, 10:03 PM
The competitive aspect is a bit over the top. That said, I my wife & daughters & I (going under the team name "The Steamin' Wienies") are 3-time champs of my office friends' Fantasy Top Chef challenge. :O

GottaHavePride
6/7/2010, 11:05 AM

Actually my favorite show of his is The F Word for that very reason.

IB4OU2
6/7/2010, 02:09 PM
Anything with Giadda and her cleavage works for me.

sooner59
6/7/2010, 05:53 PM
I like Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. Gives ideas on where to eat sometimes. I went to a couple in OKC and Dallas that I saw on that show. At least its applicable to something.