PDA

View Full Version : Baylor to the Pac-10

SicEmBaylor
6/5/2010, 11:57 PM
We've always been blessed with a lot of political clout in Austin.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5256377

Fraggle145
6/6/2010, 12:12 AM
Why do we need to keep mediocrity around? **** Baylor. The Pac 10 already has a private school to keep records requests in house. We dont need effing Baylor.

Scotty
6/6/2010, 12:15 AM
I'm not sure the legislators have as much power in this as they think.

Say the PAC10 tactically invites Colorado first, with the intentions of adding 5 more later. With CU out, Mizzou gets the big ten invite (and maybe NU too, it doesn't matter at this point; the big12 is already dead) and every other school is on survival mode. Next, say the Pac10 gives the other original five schools the invite. Is texas still going to stick to its guns and say that the texas schools are an all-or-nothing deal? I don't see that happening. I don't see the Pac10 giving up the Denver market for another Texas school that adds nothing revenue-wise.

Flagstaffsooner
6/6/2010, 05:33 AM
Go where you belong...
NAIA

BudSooner
6/6/2010, 07:17 AM
I'm quite surprised that Boise State has not been mentioned.

Sooner-N-KS
6/6/2010, 07:39 AM

Too bad you haven't been blessed with the ability to win football games.

Dio
6/6/2010, 08:34 AM
Dodds and Jamail need to stamp this out NOW.

delhalew
6/6/2010, 08:45 AM
Sure...the PAC10 will settle for some tv's in Waco rather than the state of Colorado.

MI Sooner
6/6/2010, 09:00 AM
The Pac 10 emphasizes non-revenue sports more than most conferences (probably because they're good in them, but maybe it's the other way around).

Anyway Baylor does have oustanding track and baseball programs, right? Or at least, they have a baseball program and Colorodo doesn't.

Seriously, besides a 10 year run in FB, is Colorado really any better than Baylor? They have weak FB fan support and a terrible basketball program. I understand the Colorado markets are more attractive than adding a few more eyeballs in the Texas markets you'd already have, and that's a very important consideration.

Still, I think people have done a horrible job analyzing how the finances break down. Way too much static-state analysis and way too few facts. I still haven't seen a good explanation of how AAU membership of fellow athletic conference members directly impacts a school's research funds. I understand there may be some reputational effects, but I suspect these are with the public at large and not grant-making institutions.

I also keep hearing about the Big 10's great TV deal. They may have a tremendous money edge now, but how sustainable is it? People who bought their houses three years ago are in much worse shape (in most places anyway), than those that bought them yesterday. What bearing does this have on your next home purchase? You still have a house worth X. When you go negotiate the next deal, you're not getting more than the house next door with more square footage just because your last deal was favorable.

The Big 10 is more attractive that the Big XII from a TV standpoint, no questsion. They have more people in the TV markets and probably a lot more alums. They also don't cannabilize their markets to the extent the Big XII does (seriously, two teams in OK and KS?). But that said, is the Big 10 Network model really that hard to copy? If they get $20 mil per team, what's to stop the Big XII from getting $15 mil or whatever. And if they can't because the providers won't pony up per subscriber, I don't see them continuing to do it for the Big 10 Network.

Plus, a can see a few (small) advantages that a Big XII network would have over the Big 10 Network. There is no attractive programming on the BTN outside of FB and men's BB. I'm not sure how many viewers Big XII baseball or women's BB would pull in, but it has to be more than the cross country meets on the BTN in the spring. Most Big 10 teams play hockey, and that gets quite a bit of interest, but the hockey leagues are the CCHA and WCHA, not the Big 10.

PLaw
6/6/2010, 09:07 AM

What does Baylor bring to the party? Make no mistake, this about tv sets and all of the political clout in Fagstin isn't going to help you this time around. My recommendation is to start putting a deal together with the MWC or CUSA.

Boomer

diegosooner
6/6/2010, 09:15 AM
You're right, I think money will drive decisions.

Sooner-N-KS
6/6/2010, 09:26 AM
What does Baylor bring to the party? Make no mistake, this about tv sets and all of the political clout in Fagstin isn't going to help you this time around. My recommendation is to start putting a deal together with the MWC or CUSA.

Boomer

No, they will likely head up the reorganized Big 12 with KU, KSU and ISU. They will want to pick up teams like Tulsa, TCU and Houston. Maybe even Boise.

FroggyStyle22
6/6/2010, 09:27 AM
I'm quite surprised that Boise State has not been mentioned.

Boise won't get a PAC-10 Invite for two reasons.

1. They have no other sports than football.

2. They are practically a four year Juco.

Academics do mean something to the conference. Especially when there are more attractive options available.

Soonermagik
6/6/2010, 10:19 AM
Honestly, I would be surprised if either Colorado or Baylor ends up going. I would think from a sports perspective that Kansas has more to offer than Colorado or Baylor.

Either way, adding a Colorado or Kansas makes more sense in my mind. You would add another state with tv's on. I would think the academics of Colorado might play some factor though.

Harry Beanbag
6/6/2010, 10:24 AM
Baylor would be better than Tech.

bluedogok
6/6/2010, 10:58 AM
The Pac 10 emphasizes non-revenue sports more than most conferences (probably because they're good in them, but maybe it's the other way around).

Anyway Baylor does have oustanding track and baseball programs, right? Or at least, they have a baseball program and Colorodo doesn't.

Seriously, besides a 10 year run in FB, is Colorado really any better than Baylor? They have weak FB fan support and a terrible basketball program. I understand the Colorado markets are more attractive than adding a few more eyeballs in the Texas markets you'd already have, and that's a very important consideration.
This whole conference realignment issue has absolutely nothing to do with non-revenue sports, it only had to do primarily with football and men's basketball in a secondary capacity, all other sports are pretty much irrelevant. It also has more to do with potential TV market size than real fan support because the TV dollars are what drives this, the Denver market is a big one and therefore is worth more than a Waco market that is already dominated by UT and A&M.

Baylor would do themselves a favor in sports to move to a C-USA, they could become a dominant team in that conference but all they are thinking about is the revenue from riding others coattails instead of being a dominant program elsewhere.

MeMyself&Me
6/6/2010, 11:38 AM
This Pac-16 plan sounded really good to me and is in the interests of all the 16 schools yet now we have some politicians that think they can change the plan. Baylor will not go to the Pac 10/16. If the politicians pass some sort of resolution requiring Baylor stay with the Texas schools, this will not happen. Too bad.

soonerboomer93
6/6/2010, 12:22 PM
Political forces in the state of Texas are preparing to demand that Baylor -- not Colorado -- should be one of the schools in the mix should the Pac-10 extend an invitation to six Big 12 schools to join its ranks, according to Orangebloods.com.

So no one read the source for the ESPN article?

HBick
6/6/2010, 12:30 PM
CU is an AAU university right?

Stitch Face
6/6/2010, 12:32 PM
I heard the conferences were going to combine into the USA-116. Just think how big that market would be.

Harry Beanbag
6/6/2010, 12:32 PM
KU is too, right?

KantoSooner
6/7/2010, 10:55 AM
If we're looking to get more teevee bucks, let me suggest some sure fire winners outside the current 'revenue' sports:

1. Women's Beach Volley Ball. Need I say more?
2. Women's Wrestlling. Need I say more?
3. Ultimate Frisbee. Appeals to the Bay Area AND keeps stoners across the Southwest firmly planted to their couchs.
4. Rock Climbing. Always the chance of a fatal accident. Nascar in slowmotion.
5. Hurley. Lacrosse without rules for drunken Celts. Now boys, THAT'S a sport.
6. Polo. I'd love to watch Texas invade THAT little baileywick. A bunch of rednecks on horseback with hammers. Stanford would NOT ride off with that trophy.
So, yes, I'm looking forward to a P16 channel.

Mississippi Sooner
6/7/2010, 11:20 AM
I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why the Texas legislature would have an active interest in what happens to a private school that's affiliated with the Southern Baptist church.

Wait a minute, I have just answered my own question.

From a humor standpoint, though, I think it would be kinda funny if Colorado wound up getting hosed. I'm sure they've already been packing their bags up there.

BudSooner
6/7/2010, 11:28 AM
Boise won't get a PAC-10 Invite for two reasons.

1. They have no other sports than football.

2. They are practically a four year Juco.

Academics do mean something to the conference. Especially when there are more attractive options available.
I've heard that the Pac10 wanted Boise at one time, but Utah wanted to be a package deal with them and the Pac10 said no, so in a sense it killed that deal which was about 5yrs ago.
One article I thought was kinda funny was this-
http://www.buffzone.com/ci_15240660

"I think the Pac-10 teams are far more prestigious than any other teams in our conference, except for Texas," Hill said. "Our reputation could go up (if CU joins the Pac-10)."
What reputation? Prestigious? So, CU is prestigious...... Are you ****ing kidding me??

"A real fan will follow their team no matter what," Boyd said.

The only part of the article I can agree with.

Mississippi Sooner
6/7/2010, 11:38 AM
Colorado is very prestigious...

in downhill skiing.

KantoSooner
6/7/2010, 11:49 AM
Varsity Bong Pulling, too. They are winnahs in that as well.

BudSooner
6/7/2010, 11:53 AM

in downhill skiing.
Pfft, Kansas pwns them in that.:D

Mac94
6/7/2010, 12:21 PM
We have 15 state legislators pushing for Baylor ... out of a state house of 150 elected representatives. Plus, the Lege will not meet again until January of 2011 so outside of political posturing I don;t know how much influence they can have. And, when they do meet, the budget and the states budget shortfall and redistricting will dominate the session ... not Baylor football.

Dio
6/7/2010, 12:34 PM

in battery chucking.

Fixed

rawlingsHOH
6/7/2010, 12:38 PM

Boomer

They have a strong athletic program.

rawlingsHOH
6/7/2010, 12:40 PM
I've heard that the Pac10 wanted Boise at one time, but Utah wanted to be a package deal with them and the Pac10 said no, so in a sense it killed that deal which was about 5yrs ago.

The Pac10 wanted Boise 5 years ago? I find that hard to believe.

NormanPride
6/7/2010, 03:20 PM
The Pac 10 should expand into Canada and Mexico. Forget heading east - head north and south of our borders ;)

Eielson
6/7/2010, 05:28 PM
This Pac-16 needs teams like Baylor. Somebody has to be bad to make the good teams look good, right?

MeMyself&Me
6/7/2010, 05:45 PM
This Pac-16 needs teams like Baylor. Somebody has to be bad to make the good teams look good, right?

Colorado is doing a pretty good job of that right now in the Big 12 North.

TheUnnamedSooner
6/7/2010, 07:09 PM
But that said, is the Big 10 Network model really that hard to copy? If they get $20 mil per team, what's to stop the Big XII from getting $15 mil or whatever.

texas was stopping this from happening. They want their own network.

silverwheels
6/7/2010, 08:41 PM

That's what Washington State is for.

BudSooner
6/7/2010, 08:55 PM
Colorado is doing a pretty good job of that right now in the Big 12 North.
Eh, that would be a dogfight between them and Iowa state...they suck epicly.

Salt City Sooner
6/7/2010, 09:48 PM
Iowa St. won a bowl game & beat Nebraska in Lincoln last year. Right now, CU is in a class by themselves, & it ain't good.

betterstill
6/7/2010, 10:13 PM
Kantosooner, the way things are going with the oil spill yould could combine womens' beach volleyball and mud wrestling in one sport.

John Kochtoston
6/7/2010, 10:23 PM
Baylor will be paid off with cold hard cash and the promise of non-conference home games from Texas, A&M and Tech.

Harry Beanbag
6/7/2010, 11:23 PM
texas was stopping this from happening. They want their own network.

Texas can go **** themselves. Those arrogant insipid buttplungers want to join the Pac-10 AND still have their own network.

HBick
6/7/2010, 11:28 PM
Texas can go **** themselves. Those arrogant insipid buttplungers want to join the Pac-10 AND still have their own network.

Which they may very well end up getting. Talk about a sweet deal...

yankee
6/7/2010, 11:31 PM
baylor to pac 10 not happening:

Baylor president responds to Pac-10 expansion effort

By: News 8 Austin Staff

Pac-10 Commissioner Larry Scott said he’s already spoken with several universities, but the list of schools that could be invited does not include Baylor University.

Pac-10 may expand offers to six Big 12 schools. Those schools include the University of Texas, Texas A&M University, Texas Tech University, Oklahoma University, Oklahoma State University and the University of Colorado to join the league.

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe has said last week he's "comfortable" the league will remain intact.

Baylor University President Ken Starr said he remains optimistic about the outcome.

"The reports coming out of the Pac-10, and the Pac-10 has expressed interest in expanding," Starr said. "But, I think we also know there has been a very clear set of statements coming out of the University of Texas that the University of Texas intends to stay with the Big 12."

The decision, supposedly, hinges on whether the University of Nebraska will stay with the Big 12 or go to the Big Ten. That decision is expected to later this week or early next week.

Pac 10 Commissioner Scott said there are still many discussions that will come before any decisions are finalized.

not surprising...

KantoSooner
6/8/2010, 09:12 AM
Harry, nice use of 'insipid buttplunger' in a sentence. A cocktail to you, sir.