PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 could soon be the little 4

Rudy Canoza
6/4/2010, 10:16 PM
Big 12/Pac-10 rumors have legs (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/bohls/entries/2010/06/04/big_12pac10_rum.html?cxntfid=blogs_bohl_games)

Do not for a minute discount all this recent talk about Texas to the Pac-10. It very well could happen, and happen very soon.

My 9 Things column a few weeks ago suggested a merger or TV alliance with the Pac-10 would be the most likely scenario for Texas and A&M, and Orangebloods.com, to its credit, nailed it down this week, saying the Pac-10 is prepared to invite six Big 12 schools and form an eastern division including those six, Arizona State and Arizona.

Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne told his staff and coaches that the reports are accurate and could happen, at least one College Station radio station, KZNe (1150) is reporting.

Forget all the denials. These are back-room deals at work, and no one in authority and in the know is going to say anything concrete until it’s done.

Even though I think this story has legs, it is far from officially complete and may never come about because it’s a highly fluid situation.

The possibility that Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado could merge with the Pac 10 is very real.

It is probably contingent on the decisions by Nebraska and maybe Missouri to continue dancing with the Big Ten despite no hard invitations from that league.

If Nebraska’s board of trustees, who meet June 12, vote to stick with the Big 12, it could totally quash the Pac 10 options. The Cornhuskers definitely want to join the Big Ten, in my opinion, as does Missouri, but haven’t been invited yet.

The Big 12 figures to call ‘em both out and demand a position.

I am also told that a linkage between Texas and Texas A&M may not necessarily be set in stone, and that quite frankly stuns me.

Soonermagik
6/4/2010, 10:22 PM
I'm all for it. OU is getting $9 million in tv money as of 2007. An expanded Pac-16 or whatever they call it said OU would get $20 million. I think that's reason enough to leave.

Also, I'm sick of the Baylors, Iowa State, Kansas State type teams. I think it would be cool to play SC, Cal, Oregon etc.. I think change can be a really positive thing. Plus, the Big 12 isn't trying that hard (with any money type of incentive) to keep OU or Texas.

Lastly, I would prefer they drop Tech and bring Kansas. Kansas would bring a great basketball school to the table. Tech had a decent run with Leach, but nothing amazing.

silverwheels
6/4/2010, 11:23 PM
Trade Kansas and Utah for OSU and Tech and that is a really, really good move for the Pac-10.

yermom
6/4/2010, 11:28 PM
i still say we go nowhere without OSU

silverwheels
6/4/2010, 11:33 PM
Probably not, but it would be nice if we didn't have to drag them around, and the Pac-10 would most likely benefit more from having Kansas or Utah than OSU.

yermom
6/4/2010, 11:36 PM
seems hard to believe they'd split up KU/KSU too though

i'd generally agree though

i'd really miss the old Big 8 teams/history

Rudy Canoza
6/4/2010, 11:37 PM
Pac 18 can't have two 'OSU's"...it would confuse the masses and cause pandemonium.

silverwheels
6/4/2010, 11:41 PM
Meh, the Big 8 started its slow death when it picked up the 4 former SWC schools from Texas on the side of the road and then gave the Longhorns the keys to the car. Within 5 years they got the Big 12 offices moved from Kansas City to Irving, and we've seen the kind of treatment they get from the refs. Plus they have the largest fanbase and stadium in the conference now.

I wish things didn't have to change, but money trumps history and tradition.

oudivesherpa
6/5/2010, 07:47 AM
i still say we go nowhere without OSU

Why not? It would leave OSU free to join Conference USA.

JLEW1818
6/5/2010, 07:49 AM
all this seems hard to believe, and i will not buy any team leaving any conference till it actually happens.

i still say in sept, all the conference are the same as now.

stoopified
6/5/2010, 07:55 AM
Screw it,I say go independent and let everyone else fend for themselves.

oudavid1
6/5/2010, 08:37 AM
all this seems hard to believe, and i will not buy any team leaving any conference till it actually happens.

Same here

I wish it would all just stay the same.

Mississippi Sooner
6/5/2010, 09:11 AM

I'm pretty sure the conferences will stay intact through this season, anyway.

But I'm leaning towards some big changes and soon. College football seems to go through this realignment craze every 15-20 years. We are now about 18 years since the last sea change, and there has been momentum in this direction for a few years now. College football has been a continuous story of evolution, for better or worse.

And, the more we move towards three or four "super conferences," the closer we get to a scenario where we can have a real national championship game simply through a process of elimination. Get through a conference schedule that includes the likes of OU, texas, suc and Oregon; no one can argue that you have a right to be in the championship game.

silverwheels
6/5/2010, 10:29 AM
Screw it,I say go independent and let everyone else fend for themselves.

After a few years, we'd be scrambling to get back into a conference, especially if the super-conferences have taken shape by then.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/5/2010, 12:18 PM
sweet, pac 10 refs for every game

silverwheels
6/5/2010, 12:32 PM
sweet, pac 10 refs for every game

Yeah it would suck, but Big 12 refs are hardly any better.

Flagstaffsooner
6/5/2010, 12:33 PM
sweet, pac 10 refs for every gameThey and the Jon Bible crowd will love each other.:mad:

soonervegas
6/5/2010, 01:10 PM
Pac 18 can't have two 'OSU's"...it would confuse the masses and cause pandemonium.

Can you imagine? Two programs named OSU that back it up with hideous orange and black uniforms.

If I was the Pac 10 schools I would veto it on that threat alone.

HBick
6/5/2010, 01:35 PM
Can you imagine? Two programs named OSU that back it up with hideous orange and black uniforms.

aggies ruin everything

gotpoi73
6/5/2010, 01:51 PM

pokes and beavers ? crazy talk

oudivesherpa
6/5/2010, 02:30 PM
pokes and beavers ? crazy talk

I can hear the chant now--Poke the beavers

snrfan65
6/5/2010, 04:50 PM
...the Big 8 started its slow death when it picked up the 4 former SWC schools from Texas on the side of the road and then gave the Longhorns the keys to the car. Within 5 years they got the Big 12 offices moved from Kansas City to Irving, and we've seen the kind of treatment they get from the refs.

Nailed it. Perfectly stated.

rawlingsHOH
6/5/2010, 05:46 PM
Meh, the Big 8 started its slow death when it picked up the 4 former SWC schools from Texas on the side of the road and then gave the Longhorns the keys to the car. Within 5 years they got the Big 12 offices moved from Kansas City to Irving, and we've seen the kind of treatment they get from the refs. Plus they have the largest fanbase and stadium in the conference now.

I wish things didn't have to change, but money trumps history and tradition.

great post

Jdog
6/5/2010, 08:42 PM
I love how, besides money, everyone's talking about academics - like that really matters to the other schools in the conference. Are there Conference academic competitions that we don't know about. Or is it that they just want to play athletic competitions against other smart people?

I also like how everyone is just talking about football - I kind of have to think that a basketball program like Kansas would benefit a conference.

starrca23
6/6/2010, 06:55 AM
I think it would be cool from a recruiting aspect. We would be able to expand into California more than we do already. If USC ever does get hit for the Bush fiasco and Cal and UCLA are still mediocre we could really benefit from playing games in California the way we do with Texas.