PDA

View Full Version : Top Guitar Songs

Leroy Lizard
6/4/2010, 01:43 AM
Okay, I'm a little drunk tonight, so bear with me.

I've been thinking about all the great guitar songs that have sprung up over the years. (And by "top guitar songs," I'm not talking about over-wrought guitar solos by hair-bands from the 1990s or snotty "blues legends.") There have been a few that stuck out for their INGENUITY.

1. "Scary Monsters" by David Bowie (guitarist: Robert Fripp). Fripp just rips the **** out of his guitar for this song.
2. "Supernova" by Opal (guitarist: Clay Allison) The song is completely drenched in the psychedelic 60's heavy fuzz and reverb.
3. "Ring of Fire" by Wall of Voodoo (guitarist: Marc Moreland) If you want to get thrown out of your apartment complex, play this version of Johnny Cash' hit real loud.
4. "Stranglehold' by Ted Nugent. Essentially a full-length guitar solo.
5. "Eruption" by Van Halen. This was a trend setter. Few that have heard it can discount Eddie Van Halen's virtuosity.
6. "I Ran" by A Flock of Seagulls (guitarist: Paul Reynolds) The guitar solo is a classic. Paul Reynolds was badly underrated as a guitarist.
7. "Catch the Rainbow" by Rainbow (guitarist: Ritchie Blackmore) Ritchie was not the greatest guitarist in the world, but his solos were the best in heavy metal imo. Unlike most of the crap you hear from heavy metal, his solos matched the song beautifully.
8. "Gut Feeling" by Devo. Like "Ring of Fire," play this one loud for an immediate 86.
9. "Egyptian Danza" by Al DiMeola. This is my favorite from a man who is considered one of the all-time greats.
10. (you fill the missing item)

NormanPride
6/4/2010, 10:08 AM
No Hendrix? Wow.

Mjcpr
6/4/2010, 10:11 AM
Okay, I'm a little drunk tonight...

...and you need us now?

Leroy Lizard
6/4/2010, 10:35 AM
No Hendrix? Wow.

These are personal choices. I burned out on Hendrix a long time ago.

Leroy Lizard
6/4/2010, 10:38 AM
...and you need us now?

Shhhhhh, I told you to PM me when you want to talk.

NormanPride
6/4/2010, 10:51 AM
And how is Gut Feeling a guitar song?

adV8-_hgL4g

goingoneight
6/4/2010, 11:03 AM
As something of an all-around guitar fan, I can tell you this is difficult for me. I look at acoustic only as sort of a genre of it's own. Same for rock and roll and blues. They just don't sound the same to me. Like country to jazz... that kinda difference.
That said, too... I enjoy way too much guitar work to even begin to list what I feel are my favorites. Hair band stuff was kinda like the best of both worlds, wild rock and smooth solos.

Leroy Lizard
6/4/2010, 11:11 AM
And how is Gut Feeling a guitar song?

adV8-_hgL4g

The screeching at the end is EXCELLENT.

I do like Buckethead, though.

NormanPride
6/4/2010, 11:21 AM
t25AOSxZZkI

Petrucci is the lead guitarist for Dream Theater, and this is from his solo work.

MjNAeELQ_Z8

Satriani is the lead for Chickenfoot. He's usually a solo act, but he got bored of kicking *** on his own and wanted to join a band.

jY8wyKuLY2k

Steve Vai got his start with Frank Zappa and is an all around badass. I love that freaking huge guitar...

OhU1
6/4/2010, 11:26 AM
Slayer "Reign in Blood" among others. Love the Wall of Voodoo "Ring of Fire" too.

Dick Dale.

Leroy Lizard
6/4/2010, 11:33 AM
Dick Dale is great. I like Junior Brown and John Petrucci too. But I always considered Steve Vai the epitome of the over-the-top, "look at me!," mind-numbing endless soloist. The guy can flat play, but just too many notes, not enough song.

ndpruitt03
6/4/2010, 11:36 AM
Zeppelin Kashmir or Achilles Last Stand

TenkillerSooner
6/4/2010, 12:02 PM
Zeppelin Kashmir or Achilles Last Stand

And I'll add White Summer/ Black Mountainside. :D

MR2-Sooner86
6/4/2010, 12:31 PM
David Gilmore - Comfortably Numb
David Gilmore - Time
David Gilmore - Money
David Gilmore - Wish You Were Here
David Gilmore - One of these Days
Kirk Hammet - Master of Puppets
Kirk Hammet - Damage Inc.
Kirk Hammet - Fade to Black
Kirk Hammet - One
Eric Clampton - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Jimmy Page - Stairway to Heaven
Zakk Wylde - No More Tears
Angus Young - Shook Me All Night Long
Angus Young - Hells Bells
Angus Young - Thunderstruck
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze

I could keep going but you get the idea.

The Remnant
6/4/2010, 02:26 PM
Alvin Lee

Leroy Lizard
6/4/2010, 02:31 PM
I would agree with Alvin Lee, but I don't want to admit to the advanced age.

1890MilesToNorman
6/4/2010, 03:17 PM
Anything that ain't electric and has more than 6 strings is good for me!

That would be 12 string acoustic please. :D