PDA

View Full Version : Another Conference realignment rumor...

yankee
6/3/2010, 02:23 PM
i don't know if we can trust a whorns site though.

:texan:

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1090747

Collier11
6/3/2010, 02:26 PM
Orangebloods.com reports Pac 10 prepared to offer Texas, Texas A-M, Texas Tech, CU, Ok St, and OU invites

PDXsooner
6/3/2010, 02:27 PM
I find that hard to believe...HOWEVER, it would be pretty cool.

soonervegas
6/3/2010, 02:29 PM
Tech and not Kansas?

I can't see it.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 02:30 PM
Yea cus we need to make trips to the left coast 3 or 4 times a year for away games, I dont think these are considering how much it costs to travel for fans and teams alike

Boomer.....
6/3/2010, 02:36 PM
Yahoo Sports posted a link to that page under Breaking News.

sooner_born_1960
6/3/2010, 02:39 PM
Yea cus we need to make trips to the left coast 3 or 4 times a year for away games, I dont think these are considering how much it costs to travel for fans and teams alike
In the current Big12, we only make 1 or 2 trips to the North each year. In a 16 team conference, I'd only see 1 trip a year to the Western Division. Seven games in division, three OOC games and two intra-division games.

badger
6/3/2010, 02:39 PM

Anyone that dyes the crystal ball orange is not to be trusted:
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/902/945276.jpg

uuuuuu-gly!

(and yes, I know it is a lighting trick... but it still sucks, like texas)

Collier11
6/3/2010, 02:40 PM
Here are the divisions

The six teams from the Big 12 would be in an eight-team division with Arizona and Arizona State. The other eight-team division would consist of USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State.

Even with that, that would be atleast 2, maybe 3 games a year on the west coast or them coming here.

sooner_born_1960
6/3/2010, 02:43 PM
"or them coming here" makes your original post a lot different.

sooner_born_1960
6/3/2010, 02:43 PM
Well, not your original post. Your second post.

NormanPride
6/3/2010, 02:46 PM
Yeah, going to Oregon and having UCLA come here would be two games. Then seven in division and three non-conference would round out the schedule.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 02:47 PM
and going to either AZ or AZ ST

sooner_born_1960
6/3/2010, 02:48 PM
And we could schedule Kansas, Baylor, or Kansas State as OOC games to save on travel.

TexasBornSoonerProud
6/3/2010, 03:13 PM
Well let's not forget basketball and other sports where you would have to go out west consistently each season. I say the best option is to do what it takes to keep the Big 12 around.

badger
6/3/2010, 03:24 PM
This would involve a lot of sacrifice for Az and Az State. They have tradition and rivalries built up with the other Pac-10 schools. Would they give up their annual games with those west coast 8 to begin annual games with us 6 instead?

We have a lot less to sacrifice - we can still schedule games with our preferred north opponents and if we really want, Baylor. I imagine we will get an annual non-conf with Nebbish (yay!) and maybe an occasional border war with KU or KSU, especially in basketball (yay!) and never have to face Mizzou or Iowa State again if we don't want (further yay!) and Baylor, only if we want (YAY YAY YAY!)

Is everyone else saying "yay!" here, or is it just me? The only one that really seems to have to change a lot in this deal is the Arizona schools. The rest are just making their usual 2-3 non-conference trips out east into conference matchups. I think pretty much everyone in the Big 12 South, aside from Tech and Baylor, have had home-and-homes with a Pac 10 school lately.

(this is only considering football, not other sports)

As far as other sports go, they already do a tremendous amount of travel. The preseason NIT is in New York. We had some tourney in Maui last season, we have road games all across the country every year, and the postseason takes us who KNOWS where.

rawlingsHOH
6/3/2010, 03:36 PM
Tech and not Kansas?

I can't see it.

Agree, ridiculous.

NormanPride
6/3/2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah, for basketball it's not as bad since you don't travel as many people. And it's not like you get tons of fans making road trips to see games.

The Arizona schools would get hosed in this one. 3 or 4 trips into the texas/Oklahoma area a year, versus 1-2 for us out there. If you got both AZ teams on the road, I guess that would be 3 trips. That's a lot of travel, and I guarantee the time zones would play hell on the kids.

Eielson
6/3/2010, 03:38 PM
It's rumors like this that make people think that it would be best just to leave the conferences as they are.

SoonerAtKU
6/3/2010, 03:59 PM
Well, aren't the two Arizona schools the relative late-comers to the Pac-10? It'd make sense geographically to have them move to another division, and they're the low men on the totem pole so to speak.

sooner94
6/3/2010, 04:06 PM
Of all the crazy ideas thrown around, I actually like this one. I would result in some great matchups that would get more $$ in a TV contract.

I vote yes.

badger
6/3/2010, 04:09 PM
If (and that's a big IF) this happpens, here's what I think happens to the leftovers:

Mizzou: Becomes Big Ten's new whipping boy. Even Northwestern pwns Mizzou. Tee hee.

Nebbish: Also joins Big Ten. Pwns everyone. Fans become a lot less nice when dealing with evil Penn Staters.

Iowa State: Royally screwed. Tries to join Big Ten, laughed at by everyone, including Iowa. Joins C-USA.

Kansas: Fields offers from Big East, C-USA and MWC. Joins Big East and has a lot of fun in basketball. really, a LOT of fun.

K-State: Also tries to join Big Ten, Big East, SEC, ACC, MWC, C-USA anyone that will have them. Settles for the WAC. Nobody wants them.

Baylor: Joins old buddies from the SWC in the MWC. Doesn't consider other options, because they're afraid of rejection.

Happily ever after? Hardly. Rivalries get more bitter during occasional non-conference matchups with old Big 12 foes. Hell hath no fury than old conference foes scorned.

Sooner-N-KS
6/3/2010, 04:10 PM
I bet that would make for some late night, west coast games. :-(

swardboy
6/3/2010, 04:15 PM
Let's see, travel to warm, somewhat exotic climes....or travel to frozen tundra.....

sooner_born_1960
6/3/2010, 04:17 PM
If we join the PAC-??, will we have a better shot at landing that stud DT from Georgia?

swardboy
6/3/2010, 04:20 PM
We could call it teh "Pac Nacho 16"

swardboy
6/3/2010, 04:29 PM
That site also says it's looking less likely that Nebbish will get a b-10 invite.....hmmmmm.

oudavid1
6/3/2010, 04:31 PM
I heard that this is true, the pac-10 is very interested in Oklahoma as much as any school. I dont wanna see it happen though. IMO

Herr Scholz
6/3/2010, 04:33 PM
I think our ADs and Presidents should do everything they can to keep the Big XII together. It's been a good conference for everyone involved. And everyone could get big Fox tv dollars next year with the alliance idea by just playing the PAC 10 OOC.

Of course if Nebraska, Mizzou and CU all want to leave than screw it. Let's look West. I think this plan would be pretty cool. The Pac 10 doesn't want to wait on the Big 10 apparently.

Herr Scholz
6/3/2010, 04:35 PM
That site also says it's looking less likely that Nebbish will get a b-10 invite.....hmmmmm.
Yeah, this could be a big time OOPS for them.

cjames317
6/3/2010, 04:41 PM
Here are the divisions

The six teams from the Big 12 would be in an eight-team division with Arizona and Arizona State. The other eight-team division would consist of USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State.

Even with that, that would be atleast 2, maybe 3 games a year on the west coast or them coming here.

I'll trade trips to Waco for Tempe and Tucson. And we'd get an annual Stoops Bowl. I hope the Death Star gets in on hosting that conference championship game, along with the Rose Bowl, Univ. of Phoenix Stadium and Qwest Field. All that, along with our currently scheduled series with Tennessee, LSU, Notre Dame, etc? Sounds like a wet dream for college football fans.

MI Sooner
6/3/2010, 04:51 PM
Arizona isn't on Pacific time, although it is two hours behind during summer as I think they don't do DST.

But SRSLY? Tech and Okie St.? Rather than making a push for Kansas and Nebraska? I would absolutely love to see A&M, and/or OSU, and/or Tech dumped from this deal for Nebraksa and Kansas. Get rid of all the "little brothers."

Question on all this realignement business...

Does OU have enough support in the DFW market to bring it to whatever conf. they join on their own? If OU and some ACC schools joined the SEC, and the SEC started a network like the Big Ten Network, would OU + the other conf. members be enough to bring the DFW market? Is OU #2,3,4,5 there? I assume Texas is #1, but are the Metroplex schools #2? Is A&M?

OklahomaTuba
6/3/2010, 05:02 PM
Pac-10 refs.

Enough said really.

KantoSooner
6/3/2010, 05:03 PM
1-2 time zones makes absolutely no difference in athletic performance, plus the transit times are actually no more than an additional hour or two over what we have now: Omaha vs. LA? the diff is the additional 1.5 hours in the air. No real diff.
I am in favor keepinig the B12 together if we can. BUT, we have to have the money and we can't replace a Nebraska if they choose to bolt. So, hat's off to Beebe and Castiglione for keeping their options open in the event this report has any reality to it.

goingoneight
6/3/2010, 05:07 PM
Pac-10 refs.

Enough said really.

PAC 10 refs + BIG 12 refs = Dumb and Dumber

badger
6/3/2010, 05:23 PM
:P We could always just add Az and ASU to the Big 12 and kick a few deadbeats out that we don't want anymore.

HBick
6/3/2010, 05:23 PM
I think, as much as it pains me, the Oklahoma A&M Tigers can serve their purpose in other sports. Tech on the other hand, dumb. Invite Nebraska, Omaha may be a smaller market than El Paso, but it could preserve rivalries for Nebraska: OU, Colorado, and the new rivalry forming between Texas.

I think the travel wouldn't be as bad as I initially feared, with 8 teams in the East Division (I prefer Mountain Division, sounds fancier, or Great Plains), those would be the teams you play each year, then two more games from the division. One there, one home as to be fair. Then you schedule two out of conference games, 12 game seasons sounds about right. Then your Conference Championship Game, followed by a bowl, 14 game seasons. Or 13 if you fail to make the CCG. Travel would be relegated to one Coast division school, one Zone, then Texas and Colorado every other year.

Doesn't sound too bad to me? What say you all?

Not to mention how much Pac-16 (or whatever it's named) sports you'd get on the new channel. It'd be damn near 24/7. And as for the 9PM kickoffs, that's not too terrible considering most college kids bodies adjust to where 9PM is the new 7PM. I'm living proof of that.

yankee
6/3/2010, 05:27 PM
And as for the 9PM kickoffs, that's too terrible considering most college kids bodies adjust to where 9PM is the new 7PM. I'm living proof of that.

two more hours to pre-game, hell yeah!

HBick
6/3/2010, 05:29 PM
two more hours to pre-game, hell yeah!

see, yankee gets it. because game days are all about watching football, but when OU is away and I'm not traveling, I have an excuse to start drinking at 9am when game day starts

Jdog
6/3/2010, 05:38 PM
ku basketball should count for something.

badger
6/3/2010, 05:40 PM

lol @ Oklahoma A&M Tigers :P

How bout "Coastal Elitists" and "Heartland Patriots" or something to show how snobby we are toward each other - seriously, there are so many rivalry implications it's really awesome to think about. They will complain that we have no beaches, we will complain the hippies have no work ethics. They will complain that we have no academic standards, we will complain that they have no budgetary constraints.

Also, as far as the refs thing goes, I think they have discussed doing away with their ref rules for non-conference games. However, you can be d@mn well guaranteed that they will use Pac-10 refs for Pac-10 in-conference games, so there you go :(

westbrooke
6/3/2010, 05:55 PM
As much as we might scratch our heads at the lack of interest in Nebraska, I'm sure the rationale behind taking Tech is to pacify the Texas political realities that make it hard to break up those schools. Similarly, though to a lesser extent, with the Kansas-OSU trade respecting the cries we'd hear if OU tried to leave the Pokes behind.

As for the Arizona schools, while L.A. may be closer than any new Big 12 rival, it's a much shorter trip from Tuscon to Norman than Tuscon to Seattle. Significant issue or not, the travel will pretty much balance out.

I'm with those who favor keeping the Big 12 together and just creating an informal scheduling and TV partnership with the Pac 10, but this wouldn't be a horrible alternative.

cjames317
6/3/2010, 05:56 PM
Speaking of Pac 10 refs, how bout this blast from the past?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Learning-to-live-with-the-human-element-starr;_ylt=Ar3By9as8XZiMnCorldAlyYcvrYF?urn=ncaaf, 245489

JLEW1818
6/3/2010, 06:39 PM
I'm fine with how everything is...

idc what are tv contract is. seems we play a lot of prime time games when winning.

we have no problem recruiting.

i have no problems.

Mr. Nuke
6/3/2010, 06:39 PM
Dan beebe cancels the 6:00 p.m. press conference.

Mr. Nuke
6/3/2010, 07:16 PM
And Bohn the CU AD appears to vaguely confirm the Pac-10 rumor.
http://ht.ly/1TQmN

Mr. Nuke
6/3/2010, 07:16 PM
As much as we might scratch our heads at the lack of interest in Nebraska, I'm sure the rationale behind taking Tech is to pacify the Texas political realities that make it hard to break up those schools.
Or perhaps Nebraska is already accounted for elsewhere.

MeMyself&Me
6/3/2010, 07:34 PM
I actually like this idea and I'm not so sure that the AZ schools would be hosed here as some have suggested. I think they already recruit heavily in California. If they could hold onto their ties there and make new ties into the Texas area in recruiting, they could improve from where they are now.

As for the rest of us, I don't think the travel will be that bad. In a 16 team conference, I don't think you play the other division as much as you do in a 12 team conference. For whatever increase in travel the conference schedule makes you do, you can schedule more local OOC games to make up for it. And that goes for all the sports.

Scott D
6/3/2010, 07:46 PM
I don't believe any alignment rumor that doesn't have Texas in a 2 team conference with Notre Dame fighting over NBC money.

PLaw
6/3/2010, 08:03 PM

:texan:

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1090747

Just saw this on newsok.com. Question: can OU and NU cut conference ties? Or, does the OU - NU affair become an annual event again and have the same national impact as OU - TU pre-Big XII?

Boomer

OU_Sooners75
6/3/2010, 08:06 PM
I think, as much as it pains me, the Oklahoma A&M Tigers can serve their purpose in other sports. Tech on the other hand, dumb. Invite Nebraska, Omaha may be a smaller market than El Paso, but it could preserve rivalries for Nebraska: OU, Colorado, and the new rivalry forming between Texas.

I think the travel wouldn't be as bad as I initially feared, with 8 teams in the East Division (I prefer Mountain Division, sounds fancier, or Great Plains), those would be the teams you play each year, then two more games from the division. One there, one home as to be fair. Then you schedule two out of conference games, 12 game seasons sounds about right. Then your Conference Championship Game, followed by a bowl, 14 game seasons. Or 13 if you fail to make the CCG. Travel would be relegated to one Coast division school, one Zone, then Texas and Colorado every other year.

Not to mention how much Pac-16 (or whatever it's named) sports you'd get on the new channel. It'd be damn near 24/7. And as for the 9PM kickoffs, that's not too terrible considering most college kids bodies adjust to where 9PM is the new 7PM. I'm living proof of that.

I think your math is just a tad bit off.

8 teams in a division = 7 Games
2 Intra-Division game= 2 Games
2 Non conference games = 2 games.

Add it all up and you only reach 11 games, 7+2+2=11.

Would have to add another Non-conference game to make 12 games.

OU_Sooners75
6/3/2010, 08:07 PM
Personally, I dont give a crap what happens. We will just continue to win conference championships so bring on any conference and any foe!

MichiganSooner
6/3/2010, 08:43 PM
This sounds good because of the tv money possibilities. We lose St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha/Lincoln, Des Moines, and Wichita but pick up Seattle/Tacoma, Portland, San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose, Sacramento, LA, San Diego, Phoenix and Tucson markets.

But, right now, people on the east coast and our area do not watch most Pac-10 teams because the games are so late. It has been said that the Pac-10 does not "get the respect" it deserves because the rest of the country does not see them play. This translates into voting for BCS contenders.

Discuss.

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2010, 08:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/DallasColleges/post/_/id/4668217/report-pac-10-thinking-of-raiding-big-12
Now on ESPN Dallas as well!

HBick
6/3/2010, 09:39 PM
This sounds good because of the tv money possibilities. We lose St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha/Lincoln, Des Moines, and Wichita but pick up Seattle/Tacoma, Portland, San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose, Sacramento, LA, San Diego, Phoenix and Tucson markets.

But, right now, people on the east coast and our area do not watch most Pac-10 teams because the games are so late. It has been said that the Pac-10 does not "get the respect" it deserves because the rest of the country does not see them play. This translates into voting for BCS contenders.

Discuss.

Good point, adding teams in the central time zone would help. Think of the hype USC, UCLA, Oregon and even Cal would get traveling to Austin, College Station, or Norman. It would work I think, scheduling would be tricky, but also for OU, OSU, CU, Tex, & Tex A&M would be able to establish footholds into the lucrative recruiting goldmine that is Southern California. Keep in mind this will be retroactive, Pac-10 schools in Texas. But the Eastern Division keeps big rivalry games OU Tex, OU OSU, the Texas school rivalries.

And then every couple of years you get to visit USC, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, Cal etc...

Western Division will remain the elitists with their snobbery, but also get national exposure in the Central Time Zone which means 8pm prime time games on the east coast.

Mr. Nuke
6/3/2010, 10:27 PM
Just saw this on newsok.com. Question: can OU and NU cut conference ties? Or, does the OU - NU affair become an annual event again and have the same national impact as OU - TU pre-Big XII?

Boomer
The ties were almost already cut with the ending of the yearly game when the conference was formed. Assuming the Pac-10 and Big-10 both go to 9 game conference schedules, I don't see any chance of an annual or even semi-regular series. I'd expect a home and home once every decade or so. That being said, how cool would an NU-OU meeting in the Rose Bowl be?

Herr Scholz
6/3/2010, 10:53 PM
Watch, nothing will happen anywhere.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 11:00 PM
Everyone is going to wait on The Big 10 most likely. If they add 1 or 3, nothing big will be done nationally. If they go to 16 we will see alot of moves IMO.

BTW, I really like the possible move of Boise to the MWC. Boise, TCU, Utah, not too shabby

OUstud
6/4/2010, 12:48 AM
Watch, nothing will happen anywhere.

Gotta go with Herr on this one. I'll believe it when I see it.

btk108
6/4/2010, 01:01 AM
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....let me know when it's on paper.

TexasLidig8r
6/4/2010, 08:43 AM
I'm fine with how everything is...

idc what are tv contract is. seems we play a lot of prime time games when winning.

we have no problem recruiting.

i have no problems.

On September 27, 1938, when negotiations between Hitler and Chamberlain were strained, the British Prime Minister addressed the British people. Ultimately, he ended his address with these words....

"For the present I ask you to await as calmly as you can the events of the next few days. As long as war has not begun, there is always hope that it may be prevented, and you know that I am going to work for peace to the last moment. Good night."

Universities cannot afford to wait in this game of conference realignment musical chairs.

You may not like or respect Deloss Dodds.. Athletic Director at Texas. But, two days ago, he told the Kansas City Star (Big 12 A.D.s are meeting in KC)...

“We’re going to be a player in whatever happens,” Dodds told The Star.
“Everybody stays ready,” said Dodds. “Everybody figures out what’s best for them and get options… “We did not start this,” he says. “If we need to finish it, we’ll finish it.”

badger
6/4/2010, 08:56 AM
For those of you who hate 11 a.m. start times (meee!!!!!) remember that it would be 9 a.m. on the west coast, so they would never (and I repeat, NEVER) start a "Western Alliance" (Pac 10 + Big 12's top teams) conference game that early. We would have 2:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. and primetime kickoffs repeatedly, just because that's where our conference is. We would have an even bigger audience because of kickoff times, regardless of how many top markets we control.

KantoSooner
6/4/2010, 08:56 AM
I have always had issues with Texas and Texans, but lived most of my life in Asia. And, from that perspective, Texans had a lot more in common with me than not. There are times when a Texan attitude goes down just right. And Dodds' comment above is just right. The Big 10 may end up very sorry they started this mess.

badger
6/4/2010, 10:04 AM
Another thing to consider - BCS invites = 2 per conference max.

The Big 12 South usually gets two, the Pac 10 usually 1. The BCS should make a new rule that "superconferences" that have 16 football schools (so that the Big East doesn't count) get up to three bids, including one auto.

Dio
6/4/2010, 10:07 AM
IF this happens, it would be awesome to ditch osu and Tech and take Ku and NU out west with us (Neb to the Big 10 isn't a done deal yet, and the P-10 already has a pumpkin-pie-haircut-wearing little brother named osu). Political realities in the Ok and Tx legislatures would probably prevent that though. Plus we could try to work it where OU-NU is a Thanksgiving weekend staple again, the way God intended it.

No1Better
6/4/2010, 10:11 AM
A move to the PAC 10 would be fantastic. The recruiting alone would get a HUGE boost, and the games would be incredible - imagine, OU v SUC, OU v "we're the ducks and we suck" U, etc. Every game would be like the super bowl - awesome IMHO.

badger
6/4/2010, 10:20 AM
I originally thought the deal would be that we'd agree to have at least one non-conference matchup each year with one of their opponents for every school (and they'd either leave two of our school out, or a few would double up).

Perhaps this was just a rumor based on that, and this got bigger than intended :P

delhalew
6/4/2010, 10:21 AM
I don't hate it, but I think we fit better with the SEC. Superconfrence here we come.

SoonerMom2
6/4/2010, 10:46 AM
This sure makes Bob Stoops comments recently make a lot more sense. Sounds like this has been in the works for sometime.

As for Refs, I wouldn't brag on Big 12 refs -- they are not much better. The Washington people who came into Norman the other year were really nice.

I love the idea of making a roadtrip to SoCal yearly. Plus it would give us a chance to host the Rose Bowl!

My vote is YES!

badger
6/4/2010, 10:51 AM
I loved going to Seattle. For a little hippie town in liberal granola country, they were quite hospitable. I also enjoyed the Rose Bowl with the Apple Aggies (Wazzu).

The quacks that came to Norman seemed ready to party, but I heard bad things about the quacks out in Eugene from those that went.

Hardly any Ooo-cla's came to Norman, but when we went to UCLA, they were pretty trashy fans before and after the game. The students weren't even in fall semester session yet.

I didn't hear either way from those that attended at El Paso about the Stanford crazies.

Nothing good can be said about USC fans in Miami. Boo to them.

Sounds like hit-or-miss, but you'll find that in any conference. Remember how stupid LSU fans were when we went to Nawlins?

IBleedCrimson
6/4/2010, 10:54 AM
talk radio here in denver is afire with local sportswriters saying CU is headed for the pac10

yankee
6/4/2010, 11:20 AM
obviously nothing is sure here...consider me in the camp that is going to wait until an official announcement is made by a conference administrator or an AD or two...but is tceh really that "sure" of a thing to go to this new super-conference if it were to happen? i don't see what's so appealing to the pac-10 about them...i say the only reason the pac-10 would invite them is because they don't want to split up ut/aggy/tceh? i know some tceh fans who are hitching onto the idea that it's in the state legislature or that they could never be split from aggy/ut...but i think that last argument is especially lame, because i think they're just trying to latch onto it so they don't get left behind. thoughts?

swardboy
6/4/2010, 11:30 AM
For those of you who hate 11 a.m. start times (meee!!!!!) remember that it would be 9 a.m. on the west coast, so they would never (and I repeat, NEVER) start a "Western Alliance" (Pac 10 + Big 12's top teams) conference game that early. We would have 2:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. and primetime kickoffs repeatedly, just because that's where our conference is. We would have an even bigger audience because of kickoff times, regardless of how many top markets we control.

Woman with nail polish speak much truth.

And for all you SEC lovers, think about how bad the converse would be for us....

schlanker
6/4/2010, 11:30 AM
I think this would be great. I'm sick of paying good money to watch us play weak teams like baylor, iowa state, kstate etc... Plus the away games will make for better trips. I got friends all over the west coast that I need a reason to visit.

HBick
6/4/2010, 11:35 AM
I think if something happens with this, this will be the domino that begins the complete makeover of college football. There are a lot of moving parts to this, 6 big 12 schools, plus trying to get the Pac-10 to agree to this? 16 schools, 10 have to vote to allow it, then 6 more vote to follow through.

But if this doesn't happen, I say this conference expansion is over until after next season.

badger
6/4/2010, 11:47 AM
Woman with nail polish speak much truth.

And for all you SEC lovers, think about how bad the converse would be for us....

SEC teams get noon games for a reason. How many of you are even awake by that time on Saturdays? (ok, so all of you that aren't students, lol)

On the opposite site of the spectrum, how many of you stay up so late on Saturday gamedays that it turns into Sunday, and ESPN starts showing a game that happened earlier? (all of you have at one point!)

Later games and later travel? No problem. Earlier games and earlier travel? Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

badger
6/4/2010, 12:04 PM
Oh, and as for Beebe:

http://i46.tinypic.com/206ykw6.jpg

ouduckhunter
6/4/2010, 12:27 PM
I hate the Pac 10, and I hope that teams from the Big XII don't join it. However, if they do, at least I will get to see the Sooners play when they are out here for away games. I could definitely get excited about that! :D

delhalew
6/4/2010, 01:22 PM
I'm tired hearing our fate is tied to Texas and they are in the drivers seat. I think when we know what they want to do, we should head the other way.

MeMyself&Me
6/4/2010, 04:09 PM

I've been thinking about that and I totally agree. It's MUCH easier for me to catch a primetime game than one in the middle of the day and certainly much harder for me to catch it if it's in the morning. Damn kids have to many activities!!! I LOVE the idea of not doing 11am games.

Another thing to consider - BCS invites = 2 per conference max.

The Big 12 South usually gets two, the Pac 10 usually 1. The BCS should make a new rule that "superconferences" that have 16 football schools (so that the Big East doesn't count) get up to three bids, including one auto.

Been thinking about this too. I think the necessity of that would depend on how many super conferences and bcs conferences we end up with. However, I think the BCS will need to add the Cotton Bowl to the BCS mix to make do that... I'm not opposed to that.

soonervegas
6/4/2010, 04:33 PM
I am by no means an expert, but I think it boils down to this:

If Texas goes Big 10 - we would probably end up in the SEC (as part of some OU, Miami, FSU, A&M? expansion)

If Texas goes Pac 10 so do we

I am still in disbelief that Texas could end up in the Big 10...

KantoSooner
6/4/2010, 04:42 PM
The benefit to Texas is clear:

If they stay with us, they lose that game appallingly (for them) often.

If they go to the Big 10 without us, they win the conference effectively forever and ever, world without end. But probably not another natl championship.

Scott D
6/4/2010, 04:45 PM
Pondering the breakdown..

Say the Pac-10 thing is legit and those 6 schools go to the Pac-16, followed by Nebraska and Missouri going to the Big-10 along with Rutgers and Pitt. The question becomes where does Kansas go...the Big-10 is possible, depending on whether or not Notre Dame continues to live it's ostrichlike existence.

So the SEC makes their move, and goes for Miami, FSU, Clemson and VT or North Carolina. That pretty much leaves the Big East and ACC to either dig for lower tier scraps, or bite the bullet and work on their own merger.

The real loser in all of this is probably Boise State who has all but finalized a deal to join the Mountain West in 2011.

HBick
6/4/2010, 04:54 PM
The real loser in all of this is probably Boise State who has all but finalized a deal to join the Mountain West in 2011.

:pop:

And for whoever said it above, I think the harsh reality is that we need Texas to an extent, and they need us. The Red River Shootout is considered one of the best rivalries of all time due to the resurgence of both programs during the early part of this decade.

That said, I still think Joe C and Osbourne should get together and set up a permanent non-conference game each season. I know it's extremely difficult, but with Bo P turning Nebraska into another power house (it's not a sure thing yet, but I think he'll come through), the appeal of playing Texas, and Nebraska in the same year, winning and meeting a USC/Oregon team in the CCG, while difficult, scratch that, extremely difficult, it would prepare our players and I think our teams would benefit.

I think whatever team(s) emerged from the conference with one loss would be great and would be extremely dangerous to their bowl opponents.

Collier11
6/4/2010, 05:02 PM
How is Boise a loser, they pick up Utah and TCU, that makes the MWC pretty damn solid

Scott D
6/4/2010, 05:05 PM
How is Boise a loser, they pick up Utah and TCU, that makes the MWC pretty damn solid

Because as Boise is doing it as a power move, the Major conferences realigning to essentially 4 16 team power conferences will virtually trump that move, unless the Mountain West also brings in Baylor, Iowa St., and K-State.

The Boise move on it's own is great for them, and it's a move that I've argued they should have made a few years ago. But, if the overall landscape of college football changes as much as everyone believes it may, then it's a no win situation for Boise unless the Mountain West expands more than just Boise and ends up with the now defunct Big-12's BCS bid.

Collier11
6/4/2010, 05:08 PM
There wont be any power conferences, I still dont think its gonna happen. And as they just said on the Sports Animal, no one really cares if Missouri leaves, the Big 12 will probably just stick with 11 anyway.

Tramel also said that he is certain that the Big 12 conference gave Nebraska a deadline today

Scott D
6/4/2010, 05:10 PM
That's why I said in that Boise loses in the scenario above....personally I think it's about time they made the move out of I-AA....I mean The WAC.

Collier11
6/4/2010, 05:11 PM
yepsky

goingoneight
6/4/2010, 05:15 PM
I think we should join the NFC.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/4/2010, 05:46 PM
11 teams = no conference championship per NCAA rules ...?

Hence the reason the Big 10 and Pac 10 wish to expand.

HBick
6/4/2010, 06:15 PM
11 teams = no conference championship per NCAA rules ...?

Hence the reason the Big 10 and Pac 10 wish to expand.

As opposed to the Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knocking it will be

TCU - Can't You Hear Me Knocking

silverwheels
6/4/2010, 06:18 PM
Not TCU, please. BYU would be better. If Nebraska and Missouri both go to the Big Ten, the pickings are slim for adequate replacements around here. Quite a few mid-majors in this part of the country, but very few of them have an argument to be in a BCS conference. And I think if NU and MU left, the Pac-10 rumors might actually be the best thing for the schools involved.

OUthunder
6/4/2010, 06:42 PM
Regardless I think CU will be gone soon. It can't happen soon enough.

betterstill
6/5/2010, 10:27 PM
Our Nebraska rivalry will be totally dead. There is no way we play NU every year when we have the prospect of having to beat Texas and USC to get to the big game.

IronHorseSooner
6/5/2010, 11:11 PM
I was thinking about this the other day while running, and here's what would make sense:

Pac-16: West: Wazzu, U-Dub, UO, Oregon State, Stanford, Cal, SUc, UCLAns
East: Us, OSU, *, A&M, CU, Tech, ASU, 'Zona

WAC: West: Hawaii, Fresno, SJSU, SDSU, BSU, UNLV, Nevada, Idaho
East: BYU, Utah, CSU, Wyoming, USAFA, New Mexico, TCU, La Tech

Big 16: West: KU, KSU, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Mizzou, Wisky, Illinois
East: UM, MSU, N'western, Purdue, IU, PSU, tOSU, ND

ACC: North: Syracuse, Pitt, BC, UCONN, Rutgers, Maryland, VA Tech, UVA
South: NC, NC State, Wake, Duke, GA Tech, Clemson, scUM, FSU

SEC: East: Louisville, WVU, Kentucky, FLA, UGA, Cincy, USF, South Carolina
West: TENN, Vandy, 'Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, MSU, Arky, LSU

Conference USA adds Baylor, Utah State, NMSU, and Troy to get to 16.

MAC adds Iowa State, Army, and Navy to go to 16.

The NCAA could then either send the remaining Sun Belt teams to FCS, or they try to take the top 8 teams from FCS (i.e. 'Nova, Appy State, Montana) and bring them up. The former is probably better, as it would make those teams more likely to be competitive in the FCS, and since most teams will play only 3 non-cons now, those teams will likely find it harder to get the big boys to play them. Membership to FBS would then be shut off.

I haven't thought about if the BCS should be open to all teams, or to just the PAC-16, Big-16, SEC, ACC, and MWC.

All teams would play seven games within their own division, and two cross-divisional games that would rotate every two years.

bluedogok
6/6/2010, 10:48 AM
Our Nebraska rivalry will be totally dead. There is no way we play NU every year when we have the prospect of having to beat Texas and USC to get to the big game.
It pretty much died with the Big 12 merger happening during the Blake years, it has never regained the momentum due to many factors. The game has never been what it was during the Big 8 days.

MeMyself&Me
6/6/2010, 11:43 AM
It pretty much died with the Big 12 merger happening during the Blake years, it has never regained the momentum due to many factors. The game has never been what it was during the Big 8 days.

Yup. The closest we got was the 2006 Big 12 champ game. That rivalry is history unless it can be resurrected in a non-conference type of game and I doubt that would happen.

Mr. Nuke
6/6/2010, 11:51 AM
You guys got the Texas game and we got some made up "rivalry" game against Colorado.

MeMyself&Me
6/6/2010, 12:38 PM
You guys got the Texas game and we got some made up "rivalry" game against Colorado.

We've always had the "Texas" game. What they tried to do after giving you guys the Colorado game on Thanksgiving weekend was have us play OSU on Thanksgiving weekend in some made up "rivalry" and gave it a fancy name.

I'm not a fan of the Big 12 and hated the way it was set up. I'm OK if everybody splits up and goes elsewhere now. OU hasn't really been with the old Big 8 teams being in different division and all anyway.

yankee
6/6/2010, 03:23 PM
i think it's happening folks...

yankee
6/6/2010, 03:23 PM
http://twitter.com/ChipBrownOB

OB: Pac-10 commish Larry Scott says he's been given authority to "advance" expansion process (hand out invites) at today's Pac-10 meetings.

prrriiide
6/6/2010, 03:30 PM
And we could schedule Kansas, Baylor, or Kansas State as OOC games to save on travel.

Throw in the Weak Sisters of the Poor and you still have a better OOC sched than a typical whorn OOC sched.

diegosooner
6/6/2010, 03:46 PM
If it's going to happen, a Pac 16 will be fine with me. A west coast trip every year would be good.

Captain Cob Mob
6/6/2010, 11:03 PM
IF this happens, it would be awesome to ditch osu and Tech and take Ku and NU out west with us (Neb to the Big 10 isn't a done deal yet, and the P-10 already has a pumpkin-pie-haircut-wearing little brother named osu). Political realities in the Ok and Tx legislatures would probably prevent that though. Plus we could try to work it where OU-NU is a Thanksgiving weekend staple again, the way God intended it.

This is a pretty sweet idea right here. Get back the NU vs OU game and that could turn some heads. It would also really really screw Texas. They are not really ready to go independent yet, the Big 10 is simply to far for them, and they won't touch the SEC since it would mean another 2-3 losses yearly for them. They would either have to go to the Pac 10 without their entourage backing them up, or stay in the shambles of the Big 12 and try to re-build it.