PDA

View Full Version : As I was driving past a BP station today...

sooneron
6/3/2010, 02:18 PM
I found it odd that there were so many cars gassing up there. I would have thought it be a ghost town, but no...

Anyway, can someone post what they think the justification would be for buying there? And before someone posts it, there are about 8 gas stations on this highway within 1.5 mi of each other, so not having a choice aint it.

sooner_born_1960
6/3/2010, 02:21 PM
BP had a major accident. American Airlines had a major accident once (at least). I still fly American.

sooneron
6/3/2010, 02:25 PM
BP has had a few major accidents as of late and their safety violations are legendary. There's a difference between an oopsie and negligence, be it in this particular case or not imo.

sooner_born_1960
6/3/2010, 02:28 PM
So, I guess you won't be buying gas from BP stations. Just remember, that doesn't mean you aren't buying BP gasoline.

SicEmBaylor
I found it odd that there were so many cars gassing up there. I would have thought it be a ghost town, but no...

Anyway, can someone post what they think the justification would be for buying there? And before someone posts it, there are about 8 gas stations on this highway within 1.5 mi of each other, so not having a choice aint it.

Why wouldn't you get gas at BP? If their CEO and BoD suddenly woke up one day and decided, "Hey lets cause a major accident at one of our offshore drilling rigs and dump thousands/millions of barrels of crude into the ocean just for ****s and giggles!" then I could see refusing to buy their gas.

Accidents happen. It doesn't make BP evil.

PDXsooner
As if Texaco, 76, Shell or any of the other options are really any better...If you want to protest, ride your bike.

sooneron
6/3/2010, 02:45 PM
As if Texaco, 76, Shell or any of the other options are really any better...If you want to protest, ride your bike.

Really? Check out the osha fines-
http://www.businessinsider.com/bp-has-been-fined-by-osha-760-times-has-an-awful-track-record-for-safety-2010-6

None of those are in my neck of the woods
And usually, I take the train.

With their record, something like this was bound to happen-
http://www.truthout.org/safety-violations-and-fines-did-not-deter-bp-and-massey-disasters59953

olevetonahill
6/3/2010, 03:27 PM
Do you really want em to go broke right now ?

sooneron
6/3/2010, 03:29 PM
Now see, there is a counterpoint. Not the tired old "oops" argument.

Leroy Lizard
6/3/2010, 03:30 PM
Do you really want em to go broke right now ?

Agreed.

Let's let them clean up the spill first. We can extract revenge later if we so desire.

sooner_born_1960
6/3/2010, 03:31 PM
My counterpoint was that I'm just not feeling the indignation you are experiencing. I'm sure other will post to echo your sentiments.

olevetonahill
6/3/2010, 03:32 PM
Ive thot about this , We need em to stay a viable company to pay for the clean up.

This way Only those who buy their products will pay the cost. If they go belly up WE ALL DO.

Sooner04
6/3/2010, 03:40 PM
BP had a major accident. American Airlines had a major accident once (at least). I still fly American.
The unfortunate souls who bought a ticket for an American Airlines flight had a choice. The doomed wildlife of the Gulf did not.

sooner_born_1960
6/3/2010, 03:41 PM
That doesn't even make sense.

olevetonahill
6/3/2010, 03:48 PM

No kidding bro :rolleyes:

sooneron
6/3/2010, 03:50 PM
My counterpoint was that I'm just not feeling the indignation you are experiencing. I'm sure other will post to echo your sentiments.

Indignation is a strong word. I avoided them beginning after the Texas City fiasco and all of the findings about their GROSS negligence there.

StoopTroup
6/3/2010, 04:02 PM
The Gulf laid back and let BP drill. The Gulf didn't struggle or complain and The Gulf let BP do it more than once. The Gulf is a whore who had it coming and now that The Gulf can't get BP's lube off it feels violated and is claiming it was raped. I've seen this story before. ;)

1890MilesToNorman
6/3/2010, 04:16 PM

^^^^ These are my feelings.

On a side note. How many more screwups are we going to allow our federal gubmint before we close them down? :cool:

Bourbon St Sooner
6/3/2010, 04:18 PM
Remember, most of those BP branded stations aren't owned by BP but are owned by independent operators. If you boycott their stations you're hurting the little guy more than you're hurting the company, unless you boycott the corporate owned stations.

The biggest way to hit the company is to not allow them to bid on any more leases in US waters or on US lands. Most of the money an oil company makes is from pumping oil out of the ground not from selling the refined products.

SicEmBaylor
6/3/2010, 04:20 PM

On a side note. How many more screwups are we going to allow our federal gubmint before we close them down? :cool:

See, you're looking at it totally wrong. It's okay for the government to screw up, invade our privacy, lie, cheat, steal, etc. etc. because they aren't trying to "make a profit." It's the profit making that makes all the difference not the ends themselves.

For what it's worth, I think liberals are out of their damned minds for believing and having faith in government. I think it's even more insane for conservatives to trust big business.

Both should be distrusted.

StoopTroup
6/3/2010, 05:01 PM
If ya can't beat em...join em. :D

http://www.foodmessalert.com/cliff-claven-200w.jpg

sooneron
6/3/2010, 05:16 PM
The Gulf laid back and let BP drill. The Gulf didn't struggle or complain and The Gulf let BP do it more than once. The Gulf is a whore who had it coming and now that The Gulf can't get BP's lube off it feels violated and is claiming it was raped. I've seen this story before. ;)

Is this about that time you woke up face down in NoLa?

sooneron
6/3/2010, 05:17 PM
See, you're looking at it totally wrong. It's okay for the government to screw up, invade our privacy, lie, cheat, steal, etc. etc. because they aren't trying to "make a profit." It's the profit making that makes all the difference not the ends themselves.

For what it's worth, I think liberals are out of their damned minds for believing and having faith in government. I think it's even more insane for conservatives to trust big business.

Both should be distrusted.
I hate it when I sorta agree with slappy.:eek:

StoopTroup
6/3/2010, 05:21 PM
Is this about that time you woke up face down in NoLa?

I've never been there. :D

StoopTroup
6/3/2010, 05:24 PM
Agreed.

Let's let them clean up the spill first. We can extract revenge later if we so desire.

We?

sooneron
6/3/2010, 05:29 PM
I've never been there. :D

Face down? Liar!:pop:

achiro
6/3/2010, 05:31 PM
I can't say for certain but my understanding is that regardless of the company, when drilling a hole in the ground to get oil, speed is pretty important to the office jockeys. I can't imagine that there is any major oil company that hasn't had a rig cut corners for sake of speed. It's just that in this case it REALLY came at a great cost.

sooneron
6/3/2010, 06:27 PM
I can't say for certain but my understanding is that regardless of the company, when drilling a hole in the ground to get oil, speed is pretty important to the office jockeys. I can't imagine that there is any major oil company that hasn't had a rig cut corners for sake of speed. It's just that in this case it REALLY came at a great cost.

Exactly!! That is why we have had dozens of off shore rig explosions and thus, leaks of jillions of gallons of crude into the water!

oops, wait a tick...:rolleyes:

OU_Sooners75
6/3/2010, 06:36 PM
I look at it this way....

BP is one of, if not, the biggest oil companies in the entire world.

The chances you are buying BP oil when you purchase gas is there no matter where you buy it.

No matter how must distrust, or distaste, you have for BP, they will continue to thrive as an oil giant. Just like Exxon did after the Prince Williams Sound disaster.

sooneron
6/3/2010, 06:57 PM
I look at it this way....

BP is one of, if not, the biggest oil companies in the entire world.

The chances you are buying BP oil when you purchase gas is there no matter where you buy it.

No matter how must distrust, or distaste, you have for BP, they will continue to thrive as an oil giant. Just like Exxon did after the Prince Williams Sound disaster.

You have a point, but the valdez was the result of a drunk captain, not years of malfeasance (ok, maybe) met with opening a checkbook. Of course, that's the bigger issue, BP and their ilk buying whatever good will that they can - be it donations to campaigns, or fines. Maybe I will only buy from Hess...

Leroy Lizard
6/3/2010, 07:05 PM
We?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/we

delhalew
6/3/2010, 07:47 PM

If you boycott BP stations, you are hurting a small business owner, and doing very little damage to BP.

Veritas
6/3/2010, 08:00 PM
I bought gas at BP this morning because a) it was the cleanest station in the area and b) I don't give a flying **** about the oil spill.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/3/2010, 08:44 PM

On a side note. How many more screwups are we going to allow our federal gubmint before we close them down? :cool:in conclusion. End thread. Nuff said!

soonerboomer93
6/3/2010, 09:12 PM
I care about the oil spill, it's bad for business. However we do a lot of work with BP. We do work at several of their job sites, including Texas City. I frankly have no plans to shoot myself in the foot like that. Of course I can't think of a BP station near me.

I only boycott Citgo.

olevetonahill
6/3/2010, 09:22 PM
^^^^^ Yup

achiro
6/3/2010, 10:09 PM
Exactly!! That is why we have had dozens of off shore rig explosions and thus, leaks of jillions of gallons of crude into the water!

oops, wait a tick...:rolleyes:

You missed my point entirely.

Stitch Face
6/3/2010, 10:57 PM

Did you happen to notice the price of gas there relative to the other seven? Because if it was a couple of cents cheaper than the ones immediately around it then I'm going to guess it had something to do with that.

Sooner04
6/4/2010, 12:26 AM
So none of you care about the thousands upon thousands of animals dying a slow, suffocating death because of the oil slick?

Leroy Lizard
6/4/2010, 01:14 AM
Nature is cruel.

MrJimBeam
6/4/2010, 06:01 AM
So none of you care about the thousands upon thousands of animals dying a slow, suffocating death because of the oil slick?

I think it's unfortunate but I'm not spending a whole lot of time on it. Besides, I like furry animals best.

sooneron
6/4/2010, 07:28 AM
Did you happen to notice the price of gas there relative to the other seven? Because if it was a couple of cents cheaper than the ones immediately around it then I'm going to guess it had something to do with that.

I don't think it was cheaper than most of the others with the exception of Exxon. There was a cheap no name place a 1/4 mile away that was around 2.54 , whereas, BP was around 2.57.

Harry Beanbag
6/4/2010, 09:36 AM
I only boycott Citgo.

This.

StoopTroup
6/4/2010, 10:05 AM

What's sad is that longwhorns don't live In the gulf.

IB4OU2
6/4/2010, 10:29 AM
My dislike for BP has very little to do with the oil spill. I dislike how the Amoco employees were treated by BP and Amoco when they were sold in the late 90's. The Research center in Tulsa being closed and many left without a job... my wife being one of them.

XFollower
6/4/2010, 10:45 AM
People want to hate BP (and other large companies) as a giant monster of doom and gloom. Most (the leftists) don't stop to think that there are thousands of everyday people providing food for their families because they work there in quality jobs. They aren't greedy, evil people, just those like you and I. You want to see real devastating impact on life form? Boycott and do your best to shutdown a company like that.

Okla-homey
6/4/2010, 11:20 AM
BP provides a precious commodity as necessary to our way of life as oxygen. They had an accident. They'll make it right. Nothing to see here. Let's move on.

Oh, and what someone else said about station boycotts hurting the owner/operator of said station more than the oil company whose brand is on the sign.

That said, I still won't trade at CITGO though, but that's because I hate evil Stalinist tyrants like the dictator who owns the company.

swardboy
6/4/2010, 11:40 AM
Louisiana has enough problems now without dealing with losing thousands of BP jobs.

VeeJay
6/4/2010, 03:43 PM
BP provides a precious commodity as necessary to our way of life as oxygen. They had an accident. They'll make it right. Nothing to see here. Let's move on.

Oh, and what someone else said about station boycotts hurting the owner/operator of said station more than the oil company whose brand is on the sign.

That said, I still won't trade at CITGO though, but that's because I hate evil Stalinist tyrants like the dictator who owns the company.

"They'll make it right"?

This I would like to see some specifics on, as BP has so far offered up little more than rhetoric, smokescreens and lies.

A $50 million ad campaign on their greatness while people lose their livelihoods probably doesn't help their case.

6/4/2010, 04:00 PM
"They'll make it right"?

This I would like to see some specifics on, as BP has so far offered up little more than rhetoric, smokescreens and lies.

A $50 million ad campaign on their greatness while people lose their livelihoods probably doesn't help their case.You think they're not trying every thing they can think of to stop the flow?

Okla-homey
6/4/2010, 04:40 PM
"They'll make it right"?

A $50 million ad campaign on their greatness while people lose their livelihoods probably doesn't help their case.

You sound like my Blonde Daughter..."Daddy, those people are hurting and BP needs to start cutting checks"

I'll tell you the same thing I told her.

They should only pay legitimate claims and they have every right (moral and legal) to confirm the veracity of each and every claim made before paying same. It's not too tough to represent yourself as a <whatever> whose livelihood has been interrupted by this spill, when in fact you are an unemployed housepainter who once fantacized about opening a shrimpin' bidness once after seeing "Forrest Gump."

C&CDean
6/4/2010, 04:49 PM
There's only two things I look at when fueling up. The price, and if there's corn-fuel in the gasoline. I couldn't give a **** what the brand name is.

Leroy Lizard
6/4/2010, 05:33 PM
It's not too tough to represent yourself as a <whatever> whose livelihood has been interrupted by this spill, when in fact you are an unemployed housepainter who once fantacized about opening a shrimpin' bidness once after seeing "Forrest Gump."

Well, there goes my argument. :(

OUthunder
6/4/2010, 06:29 PM

I agree.

Collier11
6/4/2010, 08:38 PM

Of course we do but most of us care more about the 11 people who died, their families, and the future of those families who grow up without dads, brothers, uncles, moms, sisters, etc...

Collier11
6/4/2010, 08:40 PM
BP provides a precious commodity as necessary to our way of life as oxygen. They had an accident. They'll make it right. .

Id agree except that you say it was an accident and it wasnt, it was due to years of ignoring the issues by BP. They knew the issue needed to be fixed and they didnt fix it, plain and simple. They gambled and lost Big Time

Sooner04
6/4/2010, 08:42 PM
Of course we do but most of us care more about the 11 people who died, their families, and the future of those families who grow up without dads, brothers, uncles, moms, sisters, etc...
No doubt. The problem is that thing STILL isn't solved. It's still pouring into the Gulf. What changes will be made? How will we be insured that this can never happen again? I mean there are poor, defenseless animals being essentially slaughtered out there by the thousands. It's horrific.

Whose butt will fry over that? Will a comprehensive study be done to see where the corners were cut?

Okla-homey
6/4/2010, 08:56 PM
No doubt. The problem is that thing STILL isn't solved. It's still pouring into the Gulf. What changes will be made? How will we be insured that this can never happen again? I mean there are poor, defenseless animals being essentially slaughtered out there by the thousands. It's horrific.

Whose butt will fry over that? Will a comprehensive study be done to see where the corners were cut?

I'd rather have an affordable and dependable supply of gasoline and natural gas than all the pelicans in Louisiana. And in the final analysis, I bet you would too.

It's easy to pillory the folks who keep that gasoline as close as your neighborhood pump, but watch what happens if that golden liquid that fuels our way-of-life ever trickles to a stop.

Sooner04
6/4/2010, 08:59 PM
I'd rather have an affordable and dependable supply of gasoline and natural gas than all the pelicans in Louisiana. And in the final analysis, I bet you would too.
Not a chance. I value all of God's creatures.

But, then again, I am the guy who captures in a cup the cockroach that wanders into the house and releases it back outside.

StoopTroup
6/4/2010, 09:00 PM
Pelicans suck in heavy traffic.

olevetonahill
6/4/2010, 09:00 PM

It's easy to pillory the folks who keep that gasoline as close as your neighborhood pump, but watch what happens if that golden liquid that fuels our way-of-life ever trickles to a stop.

Homey bro , he dont care about The way of life of MOST americans , He to busy crying over Duck feathers:rolleyes:

Okla-homey
6/4/2010, 09:01 PM
Id agree except that you say it was an accident and it wasnt, it was due to years of ignoring the issues by BP. They knew the issue needed to be fixed and they didnt fix it, plain and simple. They gambled and lost Big Time

Fine. But please be specific. What precisely did BP do wrong? What issues were ignored. What needed to be fixed?

And what role has the State of Louisiana played in this drama over the last 30years as it raked in stacks of cash from those it allowed to drill off-shore? Perhaps the chickens have finally come home to roost.

Anyway, they have plenty of shrimp and oysters off the Atlantic Coast. Lots of pelicans too. It'll be fine.

Okla-homey
6/4/2010, 09:02 PM
Homey bro , he dont care about The way of life of MOST americans , He to busy crying over Duck feathers:rolleyes:

Yep. Me? I think my ability to put gas in my vehicles not bought from Saudi is more important than the chosen profession of a bunch of drunk LSU fans and their native birds.

DRILL BABY DRILL!

StoopTroup
6/4/2010, 09:06 PM
Fine. But please be specific. What precisely did BP do wrong? What issues were ignored. What needed to be fixed?

And what role has the State of Louisiana played in this drama over the last 30years as it raked in stacks of cash from those it allowed to drill off-shore? Perhaps the chickens have finally come home to roost.

Anyway, they have plenty of shrimp and oysters off the Atlantic Coast. Lots of pelicans too. It'll be fine.

BP didn't do anything wrong. The damn Gulf current stole the oil they were storing where their platform used to be.

Collier11
6/4/2010, 09:06 PM

I cant explain it in exact terms because I have never worked on a rig but my buddy does and apparently the reason they had the blowout was because they flatout ignored some issues that had been listed as dangerous for quite a while but they decided not to spend the money to fix it.

StoopTroup
6/4/2010, 09:09 PM
I think they have had more violations than any other Company that does Off-shore drilling. From what I understand they have a percentage that is like 100 times higher than any other company.

olevetonahill
6/4/2010, 09:09 PM

But, then again, I am the guy who captures in a cup the cockroach that wanders into the house and releases it back outside.

So yer sayin ya like to help spread Filth and disease?:eek:

olevetonahill
6/4/2010, 09:11 PM
Yep. Me? I think my ability to put gas in my vehicles not bought from Saudi is more important than the chosen profession of a bunch of drunk LSU fans and their native birds.

DRILL BABY DRILL!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Zackery

StoopTroup
6/4/2010, 09:12 PM
04 should move to China instead of worry about some seagulls.

Py2zH78x3No&has_verified=1

Collier11
6/4/2010, 09:12 PM
We should all buy into that VET

StoopTroup
6/4/2010, 09:13 PM
qBpE6mMQpXY&feature=related

olevetonahill
6/4/2010, 09:13 PM
04 should move to China instead of worry about some seagulls.

Py2zH78x3No&has_verified=1

Hed Cry his self to sleep every night .:pop:

6/5/2010, 03:19 AM

DRILL BABY DRILL!Our leader is apparently not content just to watch several industries go Kaput in the Gulf States, such as sport and commercial fishing, beach hotels and restaurants, etc. No, he wants to cut the offshore oil industry in half, so even more folks in the Gulf states can join in the misery of unemployment.. Good move, Barry-O!

6/5/2010, 03:20 AM

DRILL BABY DRILL!Woops, technical glitch

6/5/2010, 03:21 AM

DRILL BABY DRILL!Woops, technical glitch

OU_Sooners75
6/5/2010, 07:10 AM

Kum Ba Yah My Lord, Kum Ba Yah.

vo9AH4vG2wA

Better yet...can you prove there is a God? Not saying there isn't, but can you prove that all those creatures belong to a God?

OU_Sooners75
6/5/2010, 07:14 AM
I cant explain it in exact terms because I have never worked on a rig but my buddy does and apparently the reason they had the blowout was because they flatout ignored some issues that had been listed as dangerous for quite a while but they decided not to spend the money to fix it.

Collier, you do know that BP simply owned the platform, right? They did not operate the rig, another company operated the disappeared platform.

Seems to me, the other company is at more fault than BP.

Collier11
6/5/2010, 09:19 AM
Yea it was a joint deal, from what I hear both should be at fault in some ways

Collier11
6/15/2010, 04:33 AM
Here are your specifics

BP engineer called doomed rig a 'nightmare well'

WASHINGTON – BP took measures to cut costs in the weeks before the catastrophic blowout in the Gulf of Mexico as it dealt with one problem after another, prompting a BP engineer to describe the doomed rig as a "nightmare well," according to internal documents released Monday.

The comment by BP engineer Brian Morel came in an e-mail April 14, six days before the Deepwater Horizon rig explosion that killed 11 people and has sent tens of millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf in the nation's worst environmental disaster.

The e-mail was among dozens of internal documents released by the House Energy and Commerce Committee, which is investigating the explosion and its aftermath.

In a letter to BP CEO Tony Hayward, Reps. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., and Bart Stupak, D-Mich., noted at least five questionable decisions BP made in the days leading up to the explosion.

"The common feature of these five decisions is that they posed a trade-off between cost and well safety," said Waxman and Stupak. Waxman chairs the energy panel while Stupak heads a subcommittee on oversight and investigations.

"Time after time, it appears that BP made decisions that increased the risk of a blowout to save the company time or expense," the lawmakers wrote in the 14-page letter to Hayward. "If this is what happened, BP's carelessness and complacency have inflicted a heavy toll on the Gulf, its inhabitants, and the workers on the rig."

The letter, supplemented by 61 footnotes and dozens of documents, outlines a series of questions Hayward can expect when he comes before Stupak's subcommittee on Thursday.

The hearing will be Hayward's first appearance before a congressional committee since the explosion and sinking of the BP-operated Deepwater Horizon rig. BP America President Lamar McKay and other officials represented the company at earlier hearings.

The letter by Waxman and Stupak focuses on details such as how to secure the final section of the deepwater well. The company apparently chose a riskier option among two possibilities — running a single string of steel casing from the seafloor to the bottom of the well, instead of hanging a steel liner with a "tieback" on top.

Despite warnings from its own engineers, "BP chose the more risky casing option, apparently because the liner option would have cost $7 to $10 million more and taken longer," Waxman and Stupak said.

In a brief e-mail exchange, Morel and a colleague, Richard Miller, talked about the last-minute changes.

"We could be running it in 2-3 days, so need a relative quick response. Sorry for the late notice, this has been nightmare well which has everyone all over the place," Morel wrote on April 14.

Waxman and Stupak also said BP apparently rejected advice of a subcontractor, Halliburton Inc., in preparing for a cementing job to close up the well. BP rejected Halliburton's recommendation to use 21 "centralizers" to make sure the casing ran down the center of the well bore, they said. Instead, BP used six centralizers.

In an e-mail on April 16, a BP official involved in the decision explained: "It will take 10 hours to install them. I do not like this." Later that day, another official recognized the risks of proceeding with insufficient centralizers but commented: "who cares, it's done, end of story, will probably be fine."

In spite of the well's difficulties, "BP appears to have made multiple decisions for economic reasons that increased the danger of a catastrophic well failure," Waxman and Stupak said.

The lawmakers also said BP also decided against a nine- to 12-hour procedure known as a "cement bond log" that would have tested the integrity of the cement. A team from Schlumberger, an oil services firm, was on board the rig, but BP sent the team home on a regularly scheduled helicopter flight the morning of April 20. Less than 12 hours later, the rig exploded.

BP also failed to fully circulate drilling mud, a 12-hour procedure that could have helped detect gas pockets that later shot up the well and exploded on the drilling rig.
A spokesman for BP could not immediately reached for comment.

sooneron
6/15/2010, 08:51 AM
Yeah, that looks like an oops to me.

sooneron
6/15/2010, 08:56 AM

lol!

http://www.pikeynet.com/myloftextension/site/05/minister.jpg

badger
6/15/2010, 09:09 AM

If someone didn't mention it, gas stations are not owned by BP, but like Mickie D's, are owned privately. So, by not shopping at a BP, you're not really hurting BP, but local business owners.

I only know this because they've had a bunch of 'em on the national cable news stations saying this in interviews after they get bricks through windows and stuff.

ouleaf
6/15/2010, 09:54 AM
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/chartdl.aspx?Symbol=BP&&ShowChtBt=Refresh+Chart&DateRangeForm=1&CP=0&PT=4&C9=0&ComparisonsForm=1&CE=0&DisplayForm=1&D4=1&D5=0&D3=0&ViewType=0&PeriodType=3

For those of you that don't follow the markets a whole lot BP stock has plummetted by about 50% over the past month 2 months or so. Which is just absolutely staggering. I think they mentioned it equated to about a loss in value of about $95 Billion.

Leroy Lizard
6/15/2010, 11:53 AM
Watch the Feds levy about a 100 million dollar fine so that Obama can strut around claiming he kicked ***.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/15/2010, 12:37 PM
Now's the time to buy up BP stock.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/yUWM_8Yl8Zo/0.jpg

badger
6/15/2010, 01:09 PM
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/chartdl.aspx?Symbol=BP&&ShowChtBt=Refresh+Chart&DateRangeForm=1&CP=0&PT=4&C9=0&ComparisonsForm=1&CE=0&DisplayForm=1&D4=1&D5=0&D3=0&ViewType=0&PeriodType=3

For those of you that don't follow the markets a whole lot BP stock has plummetted by about 50% over the past month 2 months or so. Which is just absolutely staggering. I think they mentioned it equated to about a loss in value of about $95 Billion.

Yeah, I heard that Brit investors aren't too happy with Obama et al for all the BP dissing, because a lot of retirement pensions were invested in BP. Thus, the Brits had a lot to lose when the oil disaster happened.

A lot to lose money-wise, that is. Their oceanfronts probably haven't even turned the lightest shade of gooey black.

jkjsooner
6/15/2010, 01:47 PM
I will avoid BP stations if at all possible. I understand that most are independently owned and I'm sorry for them but the only way I can send BP a message is by avoiding their stations. I don't know exactly how it works but I imagine that the refined gas comes from BP to the stations so it isn't just the independent owners who will suffer. (Correct?) Either way, I can only do what I can do.

My biggest problem with BP is their behavior publically after the incident. They constantly placed the blame elsewhere and the CEO made quite a few insulting statements in the weeks following the blowout.

Not that I like making decisions for PR purposes but BP's PR was a disaster. It appeared that BP's executives were ignoring the PR guys in favor of the advice given from the accountants and attorneys. Most analsysts were saying that this decision was penny wise and pound foolish and BP will pay much more in the long term because of it.

Sometimes lawyers (or at least the people listening to them) need to be a little less myopic and see the big picture.

Sooner04
6/15/2010, 01:49 PM
Have they stopped the leak yet?

Or is the wildlife in the Gulf of Mexico continuing to be slaughtered?

Collier11
6/15/2010, 01:52 PM
not really

Leroy Lizard
6/15/2010, 02:19 PM
I will avoid BP stations if at all possible. I understand that most are independently owned and I'm sorry for them but the only way I can send BP a message is by avoiding their stations.

That'll teach 'em!!

Bourbon St Sooner
6/15/2010, 04:01 PM

This wasn't just an accident, oops, let's just move on. 11 men died and a lot of lives have been affected. I'm a little surprised at the intellectual dishonesty in your posts. It shouldn't have happened and the reason it did was because BP was behind schedule and made decisions that compromised the rig. Period!

It's the people of Louisiana who work in the industry and also enjoy fishing in the waters along the coast and enjoy the gulf seafood. The people of Louisiana do the dirty work, just like many good folks in Oklahoma, so *******s in New York and Cali can fill up their SUVs and thumb their noses at the poor hicks down here.

And it's the people in the industry here that are most pissed off. Not only are our waters being threatened but now jobs in the industry here are at stake because of BP's poor safety culture.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/15/2010, 04:07 PM
I don't know exactly how it works but I imagine that the refined gas comes from BP to the stations so it isn't just the independent owners who will suffer. (Correct?)

Wrong. Your gasoline comes from the nearest refinery. If that's a BP refinery then that's where it comes from. Gasoline is gasoline. It's only the additive in the branded gasolines that differentiates it. Each company has their own chemical additive they put in that they say will make your car run better.

sooneron
6/15/2010, 04:11 PM
That'll teach 'em!!

For me, it's not about sending a message to BP, it's about not wanting to support a foreign company that has constantly thumbed it's nose at the US. There's a difference. If I don't buy from a BP station, odds are, I will have to fill up somewhere else. I could really care less if BP stayed afloat or not. Due to demand, if they did shut down, another big oil name would step right in and start their gear/rigs/refineries right up again. I would hope that they would be more responsible.

NOWHERE in my original post or the others that followed, did I propose any boycott. I gave my reasons as to why I choose not to shop for gas there. Everyone keeps throwing out the weak argument of "what about the poor lil Joe Lunchpails that work there?" Well, what about the DEAD ones out in the gulf or Texas City? Let's just consider those poor uneducated saps grease in the cogs. Them making an already ****ty body of water far ****tier is the icing on the cake for me. Pretty sad that no one here gives a flying **** about the wildflife/few remaining ecosystems that are affected by this.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/15/2010, 04:14 PM
Wrong. Your gasoline comes from the nearest refinery. If that's a BP refinery then that's where it comes from. Gasoline is gasoline. It's only the additive in the branded gasolines that differentiates it. Each company has their own chemical additive they put in that they say will make your car run better.

This is also wrong.

It comes from local terminals, but refined fuels received by local terminals can and do come from any number of refineries across the United States.

SoonerInKCMO
6/15/2010, 07:54 PM
TIME TO GET ON THE CNG BANDWAGON!! :hot:

Okla-homey
6/15/2010, 08:12 PM
This wasn't just an accident, oops, let's just move on. 11 men died and a lot of lives have been affected. I'm a little surprised at the intellectual dishonesty in your posts. It shouldn't have happened and the reason it did was because BP was behind schedule and made decisions that compromised the rig. Period!

It's the people of Louisiana who work in the industry and also enjoy fishing in the waters along the coast and enjoy the gulf seafood. The people of Louisiana do the dirty work, just like many good folks in Oklahoma, so *******s in New York and Cali can fill up their SUVs and thumb their noses at the poor hicks down here.

And it's the people in the industry here that are most pissed off. Not only are our waters being threatened but now jobs in the industry here are at stake because of BP's poor safety culture.

I undertand BP is south Louisiana's largest employer. Do south Louisianans really want BP hammered into leaving for friendlier climes?

Okla-homey
6/15/2010, 08:14 PM
TIME TO GET ON THE CNG BANDWAGON!! :hot:

Works for me! What does it cost to have a vehicle retrofitted to run on CNG? Generally of course. I realize it would vary by model vehicle.

StoopTroup
6/15/2010, 08:22 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_2175756_convert-vehicle-natural-gas.html

Things You'll Need:
•Certificate of conformity
•Conversion kit

JoUNlJNuPLI

StoopTroup
6/15/2010, 08:26 PM
Dodge Conversion...

4V8mgpfAZI0&feature=related

SoonerInKCMO
6/15/2010, 08:29 PM
Works for me! What does it cost to have a vehicle retrofitted to run on CNG? Generally of course. I realize it would vary by model vehicle.

Generally it's in the range of $10k. There is a $4k federal tax credit in place if you do a dedicated conversion rather than a bi-fuel one. State tax credits vary widely - Oklahoma's is one of the more generous... it's 50% of the incremental cost... I think that's on the full price and not the amount left over after the federal credit. So... in OK, a conversion will end up costing about $1k.

Those credits are also applicable if one purchases a Honda Civic GX (the only factory-delivered CNG auto available in the U.S.).

One company's price list: http://www.cleanfuelconversions.com/

StoopTroup
6/15/2010, 08:45 PM
My FIL and his Brothers owned the Propane Plant in Haskell, OK for years. Everything they had would run on Propane I think.

They were doing it way before it was cool to do....lol

The old trucks were lots easier to convert than what you have to go through now. Leave it for someone to try and regulate it until it's worthless to do.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/16/2010, 09:06 AM
I undertand BP is south Louisiana's largest employer. Do south Louisianans really want BP hammered into leaving for friendlier climes?

I don't know where that comes from. BP doesn't even have offices in Louisiana. All of their offices are in Houston. Sure they have shore bases and hire contractors to support their offshore operations. But if they weren't drilling somebody else would be.

I don't want BP bankrupted. I want them to be a responsible operator. As more is uncovered about what went into the decisions on this well, it becomes more clear that the decisions were made in favor of saving money instead of safety.

Here's the latest story.

http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/bp_engineers_testimony_contrad.html

Sooner in Tampa
6/16/2010, 10:01 AM
A couple of observations:

BP had an accident...it was due to cutting corners by most accounts, but nevertheless, it was an accident. We have all cut corners at work to speed things along...it just stings A LOT more when you have an oil rig and it leads to an accident.

BP station are, as already stated, owned and operated by the average Joe just trying to make ends meet. If YOU owned a BP station, you would want some understanding

The reason BP is drilling in a mile of water...the libtards don't want us drilling closer to the shore, so now you make repairs expotentially more difficult. I would venture to say if the water was half as deep, this be looking MUCH better.

Why is so difficult to just say...make more shut valves? You know, like the ones they are already drilling?

If we boycotted everything and everyone made a mistake...we would be some self sufficent mofo's

I am sad for the wildlife...but Brandon takes it to a WHOLE new level...to each his own

The best thing I have read all week is: Officals and locals in the Florida Keys are already planning on how THEY are going to cleanup and take care of the effects of the spill...they ain't waiting on the gubment...Novel idea folks

Obama (ALL HAIL!!!) is so far in over his head...he doesn't have a clue...the latest I heard is that Barry may actually take over BP...good lawd

Name ONE thing the gubment took over that it DIDN'T **** UP?

I think I will stop at the BP on the way home and fill up

OklahomaTuba
6/16/2010, 10:07 AM
Got a contact at HAL in Duncan who told me the casing is just gone on the well and the relief well they are trying to drill doesn't have a prayer. Probably spewing 2-3 times what BP says in public.

Nuke the ****er and stop forcing us to drill so far out.

sooneron
6/16/2010, 10:22 AM
This is also wrong.

It comes from local terminals, but refined fuels received by local terminals can and do come from any number of refineries across the United States.

I'm just curious, if Citgo stations are owned my locals just "trying to get by" and the gas isn't necessarily Chavez's, how is not buying from a BP station any different? Are all Citgo stations owned by Hugo? If not, the guys not buying Citgo are just hurting the local guy too.

I'm not really directing this at you, as I don't think you mentioned that you don't buy from Citgo, but others that have come to BP's defense have also stated they don't buy Citgo gas AND that I'm not really hurting BP by not buying from a BP gas station.

OklahomaTuba
6/16/2010, 10:39 AM
Perhaps CITGO stations are company owned and BP's are "franchised". I don't know, but doesn't matter. Refineries get their oil from all kinds of places. Really depends on the type of crude (heavy, sweet, sour, etc) coming in rather than who owns the producing well, and what the refinery is designed to refine profitably. The traders figure all that **** out.

Ike
6/16/2010, 11:19 AM

Maybe, maybe not. If BP gets hammered so hard that they pack up and leave (or fold altogether), you can bet that someone else will step in to fill the void (shell, chevron, someone), and a lot of BP people will wind up working for whoever that is. That is of course, assuming that there is still a void to fill, and I think there will be.

BP (and potentially TransOcean too) has caused a huge negative externailty for a wide swath of the southern economy. One that they should have to pay for up to their ability to do so. If we can do that (i.e. ignore the 75 million dollar cap), then worrying about punitive damages is probably overkill...just paying for the damage already caused is likely to break them.
Such is life. Such is economics. Sure I feel bad for the people that will lose their jobs at BP that had nothing to do with this...but I think going gentle on companies that cause catastrophic damages in order to prevent layoffs is on par with bailing out other companies (like banks or AIG) that make stupid decisions with their money. It's a huge distortion to the market place, and sends the signal to other companies that if you screw up and are large enough, don't worry because the government will get your back.

You want industries to be better at self-regulation (and I do)? You have to make the punishment for super-sized screwups like this one incur super-sized cost. Otherwise, the whole idea of self-regulation is just a joke.

6/16/2010, 11:49 AM
Maybe, maybe not. If BP gets hammered so hard that they pack up and leave (or fold altogether), you can bet that someone else will step in to fill the void (shell, chevron, someone), and a lot of BP people will wind up working for whoever that is. That is of course, assuming that there is still a void to fill, and I think there will be.

BP (and potentially TransOcean too) has caused a huge negative externailty for a wide swath of the southern economy. One that they should have to pay for up to their ability to do so. If we can do that (i.e. ignore the 75 million dollar cap), then worrying about punitive damages is probably overkill...just paying for the damage already caused is likely to break them.
Such is life. Such is economics. Sure I feel bad for the people that will lose their jobs at BP that had nothing to do with this...but I think going gentle on companies that cause catastrophic damages in order to prevent layoffs is on par with bailing out other companies (like banks or AIG) that make stupid decisions with their money. It's a huge distortion to the market place, and sends the signal to other companies that if you screw up and are large enough, don't worry because the government will get your back.

You want industries to be better at self-regulation (and I do)? You have to make the punishment for super-sized screwups like this one incur super-sized cost. Otherwise, the whole idea of self-regulation is just a joke.Along with the order by the chief honcho, to curtail deep water drilling, should be the approval for shallow water drilling, where this type of catastrophe won't likely happen.

Ike
6/16/2010, 12:03 PM
Along with the order by the chief honcho, to curtail deep water drilling, should be the approval for shallow water drilling, where this type of catastrophe won't likely happen.

Im not so sure about that. It's quite possible that the failure of the BOP could have happened in shallow water too...we won't know for sure until they bring it up to the surface and tear it apart. The one thing that the shallow water does certainly get you is that it makes it a lot easier to get people/equipment down to the well head to work on it if something like this happened. But thats not a guarantee of anything.

6/16/2010, 12:17 PM
Im not so sure about that. It's quite possible that the failure of the BOP could have happened in shallow water too...we won't know for sure until they bring it up to the surface and tear it apart. The one thing that the shallow water does certainly get you is that it makes it a lot easier to get people/equipment down to the well head to work on it if something like this happened. But thats not a guarantee of anything.It's what makes sense...There's just one guarantee in life.

Ike
6/16/2010, 12:26 PM
It's what makes sense...There's just one guarantee in life.

It may make sense. I was just taking issue with the "where this type of catastrophe won't likely happen." part of your statement. It has happened before...Ixtoc occured in 160ft of water. It took them nearly 10 months to shut it down. Granted, thats been 30 years ago, but considering that many of the defenses we are deploying for this now are the same ones that were deployed then, I'm still very much uncertain what restricting ourselves to shallow water drilling really gets us.

6/16/2010, 12:40 PM
It may make sense. I was just taking issue with the "where this type of catastrophe won't likely happen." part of your statement. It has happened before...Ixtoc occured in 160ft of water. It took them nearly 10 months to shut it down. Granted, thats been 30 years ago, but considering that many of the defenses we are deploying for this now are the same ones that were deployed then, I'm still very much uncertain what restricting ourselves to shallow water drilling really gets us.Whadda you want? No offshore drilling? no domestic drilling?

OklahomaTuba
6/16/2010, 02:11 PM
It may make sense. I was just taking issue with the "where this type of catastrophe won't likely happen." part of your statement. It has happened before...Ixtoc occured in 160ft of water. It took them nearly 10 months to shut it down.

Frankly, PEMEX is so incompetent it could happen right on land and they wouldn't know what to do. But it is Government run, which explains a lot usually.

In any case, government regulation caused this mess by forcing E&P into deepwater leases in the first place.

A lot less wildlife and ecology would be damaged if we were drilling in Alaska, etc right now, so thank the environmental wackos when you get a chance.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/16/2010, 02:55 PM
Well let's see, I can buy from a South American country that hates us, Middle Eastern countries that help fund people trying to destroy us, or an incompetent ally....there is really no way to win at this. They need to reconvene the Manhattan Project, but this time to solve the gas problem, you can't tell me that if you put 50 to 100 of the smartest men in the world in a room that they couldn't come up with a solution in 2 years

Ike
6/16/2010, 03:10 PM
Frankly, PEMEX is so incompetent it could happen right on land and they wouldn't know what to do. But it is Government run, which explains a lot usually.

In any case, government regulation caused this mess by forcing E&P into deepwater leases in the first place.

A lot less wildlife and ecology would be damaged if we were drilling in Alaska, etc right now, so thank the environmental wackos when you get a chance.

I'll buy the first part of that post...I really have no idea, but I really don't care too much either.

The second part, I'm not so sure.

First: I'm not convinced that this exact kind of blowout would not have happened had the water depth been 200 ft instead of 5000 at the drill site. Given the issues with the cementing plan ( http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/bp_engineers_testimony_contrad.html) reported on today and the apparent maintenance issues with the BOP, and pressure issues in the well (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-12/bp-tells-congress-gulf-well-failed-tests-before-blast-update2-.html ), it very much seems like this was more a function of pressure from below than pressure from above, meaning that the depth of water had little to do with the cause of the accident.

Second: It's not by any means certain that BP or anyone would have been able to plug the well by now in shallow waters. Yes, it would be much easier to get people and machines down there to the well, but it would still be quite a chore to stop the leaking.

And Thirdly, I don't know that I buy that they were forced into deep water leases. At least not by the environmental wackos. The environmental wackos would rather force them to not drill at all, and shut everything down now. Deep water drilling is not exclusive to the gulf of Mexico. It's happening in a lot of places, and in a lot of places that don't have as much concern for the environment. It's not the environmentalists that are driving deepwater drilling...its that deep water drilling represents the new frontier of oil and gas. There is the potential for a whole lot of oil and gas to be found in deep waters. There are some giant finds waiting to be discovered in deep waters.

jkjsooner
6/16/2010, 03:13 PM

Understood, but I guarantee you BP makes money somehow off of independently owned BP stations. I don't know if it's a franchise fee or what but in the long run people avoiding BP stations will have an impact on the company.

Ike
6/16/2010, 03:18 PM
Whadda you want? No offshore drilling? no domestic drilling?

Not at all. I want smart and safe drilling. It CAN be done cleanly, and there is no reason why it shouldn't be.

KC//CRIMSON
6/16/2010, 04:11 PM

It's amazing how your *ucking buffoonery has no bounds....

KC//CRIMSON
6/16/2010, 04:27 PM
Alaska's favorite neanderthal has a new blog, probably scribed in crayon too.

The Sarah has a new blog entry.

You'll need a pair of chest waders and a barf bag to get through it.

Blasting the president for not taking control of a free-market corporation reveals frayed tea bag credentials:

These decisions and the resulting spill have shaken the public's confidence in the ability to safely drill. Unless government appropriately regulates oil developments and holds oil executives accountable, the public will not trust them to drill, baby, drill. And we must! Or we will be even more beholden to, and controlled by, dangerous foreign regimes that supply much of our energy.

Foreign regimes like Canada and Mexico who deliver more oil to America than any other country? The best way to enter this country from North or South would be in an oil barrel. She goes on:

As the aforementioned article notes, BP's operation in Alaska would hurt our state and waste public resources if allowed to continue. That's why my administration created the Petroleum Systems Integrity Office (PSIO) when we saw proof of improper maintenance of oil infrastructure in our state. We had to verify. And that's why we instituted new oversight and held BP and other oil companies financially accountable for poor maintenance practices. We knew we could partner with them to develop resources without *****footing around with them. As a CEO, it was my job to look out for the interests of Alaskans with the same intensity and action as the oil company CEOs looked out for the interests of their shareholders.

In March of 2006, Alaska had the largest onshore spill in Alaska history (210,000 gallons) went undetected for at least five days. Three BP gas and oil pipelines on Alaska's North Slope clogged or ruptured between September 2008 and November 2009. All while Palin was preoccupied with shopping, campaigning, race baiting and getting a book deal. Todd Palin worked for BP for 18 years. BP had another spill in December 2009 when a pipeline, while being inspected, broke from its well housing. Six acres of Alaskan tundra was contaminated. The DOJ began an investigation. The Alaska Attorney General, Talis Colberg, was too busy advising Todd Palin and other Palin aids to ignore subpoenas to notice. Just last month, the pipeline was closed down due to a spill that cost the state tens of millions of dollars.

BTW, you weren't a CEO, you were a governor. Elected not hired. Quit not fired.

I learned firsthand the way these companies operate when I served as chair of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (AOGCC). I ended up resigning in protest because my bosses (the Governor and his chief of staff at the time) wouldn't support efforts to clean up the corruption involving improper conflicts of interest with energy companies that the state was supposed to be watching. (I wrote about this valuable learning experience in my book, "Going Rogue".) I felt guilty taking home a big paycheck while being reduced to sitting on my thumbs - essentially rendered ineffective as a supervisor of a regulatory agency in charge of nearly 20% of the U.S. domestic supply of energy.

The reason Palin really quit was complicated. Corrupt? Oh, beyond belief. Palin hacking into a co-workers email account? Well, priceless. It got a bit uncomfortable around there. I never noticed Palin unwilling to take money for nothing. Paid for sleeping in her own bed, flying her kids around, clothes, etc. Good to see she's gotten over that.

My experience (though, granted, I got the message loud and clear during the campaign that my executive experience managing the fastest growing community in the state, and then running the largest state in the union, was nothing compared to the experiences of a community organizer) showed me how government officials and oil execs could scratch each others' backs to the detriment of the public, and it made me ill. I ran for Governor to fight such practices. So, as a former chief executive, I humbly offer this advice to the President: you must verify. That means you must meet with Hayward. Demand answers.

Considering the cozy relationship between Palin and Dick Cheney, I don't want to think about back scratching. Sarah's "executive experience" in her own hometown? She left it in massive debt-still losing the battle with meth. The largest state? That's geography. Consider the "largest state in the union" didn't give one red cent to SarahPAC in the first quarter of this year. We demanded answers. She quit.

In the interview today, the President said "I don't sit around just talking to experts because this is a college seminar. We talk to these folks because they potentially have the best answers, so I know whose *** to kick."

Please, sir, for the sake of the Gulf residents, reach out to experts who have experience holding oil companies accountable. I suggested a few weeks ago that you start with Alaska's Department of Natural Resources, led by Commissioner Tom Irwin. Having worked with Tom and his DNR and AGIA team led by Marty Rutherford, I can vouch for their integrity and expertise in dealing with Big Oil and overseeing its developments.

One of the best things Palin did was hire Irwin and Rutherford. She didn't put Pat Galvin on the list, but should have. I'll vouch for them. See, they're still working for Alaskans. Palin also failed to mention Rick Steiner and Riki Ott who have been invaluable to those suffering in the Gulf. Steiner had his funding pulled by the University of Alaska last year-the same week they cut the red ribbon on the new UAA Conoco Phillips "Science" Building.

We've all lived and worked through the Exxon-Valdez spill. They can help you. Give them a call. Or, what the heck, give me a call.

No. I lived and worked through the Spill. I smelled it every day, ruined more boots than I can count and if tears could clean crude off a baby otter, I would have saved every one of them. When Katie Couric asked what SCOTUS decision other than Roe v Wade weren't to Palin's liking, she COULDN'T REMEMBER the Exxon v Baker decision 3 months earlier!

If President Obama wants to look North for advice, I'd point him to the late Wally Hickel's book Who Owns America? Hickel was Nixon's Secretary of the Interior at the time of the Santa Barbara Spill in 1970. He pulled their leases for wasting a publicly owned resource. He dusted off the 1899 Refuse act for "teeth" to fight water polluting companies.

Hickel wrote: "That was law enough. All that was lacking was guys with guts. The laws are there. What is needed is the men--men with attitude."

Wally knew how to kick *** after an oil spill. His fighting spirit and can-do attitude are missed now more than ever.

Sooner04
6/16/2010, 04:42 PM
Instead of pointing fingers, let's get the damn thing plugged/stopped/capped already.

C&CDean
6/16/2010, 04:53 PM
I say they just stuff you mullet-first into that sucker. It'll work.

VeeJay
6/16/2010, 07:22 PM
You think they're not trying every thing they can think of to stop the flow?

This should have been thought of before the flow.

VeeJay
6/16/2010, 07:28 PM
You sound like my Blonde Daughter..."Daddy, those people are hurting and BP needs to start cutting checks"

I'll tell you the same thing I told her.

They should only pay legitimate claims and they have every right (moral and legal) to confirm the veracity of each and every claim made before paying same. It's not too tough to represent yourself as a <whatever> whose livelihood has been interrupted by this spill, when in fact you are an unemployed housepainter who once fantacized about opening a shrimpin' bidness once after seeing "Forrest Gump."

I doubt I'd agree with your Blonde Daughter on anything, seeing as how she's still Fresh out of Academia. To assume BP is a good corporate citizen is foolish. I have no problems with them verifying legitimate claims, and I am also wise enough to know there will be con men and slugs who will smell money and come out of the woodwork claiming to have suffered injury (maybe a local Home Depot employee who had his hours cut and blames it on BP. Please.)

BP so far has not acted responsibly. Nor has our rock star president.

Scott D
6/16/2010, 07:28 PM
Remember, most of those BP branded stations aren't owned by BP but are owned by independent operators. If you boycott their stations you're hurting the little guy more than you're hurting the company, unless you boycott the corporate owned stations.

The biggest way to hit the company is to not allow them to bid on any more leases in US waters or on US lands. Most of the money an oil company makes is from pumping oil out of the ground not from selling the refined products.

this sums it up to be honest.

Sooner04
6/16/2010, 07:33 PM
I say they just stuff you mullet-first into that sucker. It'll work.
Who are you talking to?

VeeJay
6/16/2010, 07:36 PM
this sums it up to be honest.

I agree 100%. This is not the making of the BP owner/operators who are trying to make an honest living. They are unfortunate because BP is their franchisor and/or landlord. These local BP stations make very little money on the sale of gasoline. Maybe 3-4 cents per gallon if they're lucky.

My experience in this business says that if a store has "drive-offs" or other gas shortages, the difference comes out of the store sales, pure and simple. BP gets their money on the gasoline that is sold. This is contractual.

Scott D
6/16/2010, 07:40 PM
The odds that most BP stations even have BP gasoline is pretty low. It's the same lesson that should have been learned when people shunned Sunoco stations because that nutjob down in Venezuela initiated a state takeover. The stations were likely carrying another company's product based on local refinement.

Okla-homey
6/16/2010, 09:00 PM
BP so far has not acted responsibly. Nor has our rock star president.

The irony is, BHO is beating on BP, and they are the very people upon whom he must depend to get him out of this mess. It's like cussing out the fireman as he puts out your housefire. Mind-bogglingly stupid. The twit.

bluedogok
6/16/2010, 09:06 PM
The irony is, BHO is beating on BP, and they are the very people upon whom he must depend to get him out of this mess. It's like cussing out the fireman as he puts out your housefire. Mind-bogglingly stupid. The twit.
They must've stepped in his flowerbed....

VeeJay
6/16/2010, 09:39 PM

I agree. No one in their right mind wants to see BP pull up stakes and walk away from this. It would seem to me that BP, though, with their resources, could find some PR guy that could avoid statements like Tony Heyward's "I'd like my life back" and today's reference to BP's interest in the "small people."

If you're a commercial fisherman or beach house owner in Grand Isle, LA hearing this, you probably expect a little better.

Knowing of course, your president is too inept to provide you any help.

Sooner04
6/16/2010, 09:57 PM
Incorrect. Unless the fireman started the fire.

Okla-homey
6/17/2010, 06:42 AM
Incorrect. Unless the fireman started the fire.

It doesn't matter how it happened right now.

There will be plenty of time for all the score settling AFTER they get the mess under control. The important thing now is to figure out a way to either stop the flow (which may be impossible), or contain what's flowing (which may be possible).

Leroy Lizard
6/17/2010, 04:48 PM
There will be plenty of time for all the score settling AFTER they get the mess under control.

We need to know whose *** to kick! The time to score political points is NOW! Who cares about stopping the silly leak?