PDA

View Full Version : Why is OU noy after this kid (re-visited)

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 07:54 AM
I posted earlier asking why this kid wasn't on OU's radar and made it clear that I thought he should be since Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, ect. had offered him.

He is now the #3 prospect in the ESPN Top 150 and has 24 or 25 offers.
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=96282&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d962 82%26season%3d2011

I've watched every high school game he has played and IMO he is the 2nd best prospect to come out of our school behind Charlie Ward (Heisman winner) and ahead of Myron Guyton (2 time Superbowl winner/starter with NY Giants and New England) and Danny Copeland (Superbowl winner/starter with Washington)

Collier11
6/3/2010, 08:01 AM
Well first off, OU doesnt recruit kids based off of who else is recruiting them. Secondly, maybe they like other guys better on the DL? Third, it appears that minus USC (who is on every top 10 players list most of the time) he is looking at East coast schools

Mad Dog Madsen
6/3/2010, 08:16 AM
Yeah, he won't leave SEC country...

goingoneight
6/3/2010, 08:24 AM
How do you know he wasn't offered already and said "no?" I've heard of guys after a few years admit they turned down an offer no one knew they had.

badger
6/3/2010, 08:29 AM
OU has no problem getting quality DE's. I wouldn't worry about whether OU is recruiting one that a few other schools are after. ;)

KantoSooner
6/3/2010, 08:34 AM
Ib general you're better off in life being positive. Tout the kid, don't second guess Stoops and co. for 'not' recruiting him. (first, you don't know if they have talked with him, second, if you had such a great eye for talent, you'd be a coach, third, Bob seems to do okay on the recruiting trail. The sky is not falling.)

NormanPride
6/3/2010, 09:59 AM
Do what the kid from New Jersey did. Mail Stoops the video.

rawlingsHOH
6/3/2010, 10:17 AM
How do you know he wasn't offered already and said "no?" I've heard of guys after a few years admit they turned down an offer no one knew they had.

Yeah, no kidding.

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 10:32 AM
I know for a fact OU hasn't offered him. His dad graduated with me, he worked for me for 13 years and we are friends to this day.

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 10:33 AM
Ib general you're better off in life being positive. Tout the kid, don't second guess Stoops and co. for 'not' recruiting him. (first, you don't know if they have talked with him, second, if you had such a great eye for talent, you'd be a coach, third, Bob seems to do okay on the recruiting trail. The sky is not falling.)

How do you know I'm not a coach?

Mad Dog Madsen
6/3/2010, 10:40 AM

You just told us! :D

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 10:42 AM
I know the kid will end up at Alabama or Auburn, but I just can't see OU not reaching out to this kind of talent. As Ric Flair said "to be the man you have to beat the man" and there is two ways of doing this, you out-coach the others (which plenty of you have second guessed OU's coaching) or you out-talent the other team with kids like this!

ask yourself,
With the DE's that are on the roster now that will be starting in 2 years, how many of them were ranked in ESPN's top 5?
Of the kids OU is recruiting this coming season, how many of those are in the ESPN top 5?

This ex-OU player is from a town 50 miles away, it can be done.
http://www.albanyherald.com/sports/headlines/93179279.html

stoops the eternal pimp
6/3/2010, 10:43 AM
the kid wants to stay close to home..OU doesnt want to waste their limited time trying to recruit him..so what

stoops the eternal pimp
6/3/2010, 10:44 AM
I know the kid will end up at Alabama or Auburn, but I just can't see OU not reaching out to this kind of talent. As Ric Flair said "to be the man you have to beat the man" and there is two ways of doing this, you out-coach the others (which plenty of you have second guessed OU's coaching) or you out-talent the other team with kids like this!

ask yourself,
With the DE's that are on the roster now that will be starting in 2 years, how many of them were ranked in ESPN's top 5?
Of the kids OU is recruiting this coming season, how many of those are in the ESPN top 5?

So OU should recruit based on what recruiting services say

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 10:45 AM
You just told us! :D

I do not see where I said that.

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 10:46 AM
So OU should recruit based on what recruiting services say

Or they could come stand on the sidelines during practice with all the other big time college recruiters!

stoops the eternal pimp
6/3/2010, 10:48 AM
dear god, this is awesome....

stoops the eternal pimp
6/3/2010, 10:49 AM
Or they could come stand on the sidelines during practice with all the other big time college recruiters!

again a waste of time for OU

Leroy Lizard
6/3/2010, 10:51 AM
No one of this athlete's stature is going to go unnoticed by the OU staff. If OU is not offering him, there is a reason for it. Most likely he isn't interested in playing for OU.

KantoSooner
6/3/2010, 10:51 AM

In truth, I don't. I also don't know, for sure, that my entire life has not been one long delusion and that I'm actually an alien being, in a coma, imagining that I'm a human being on Earth.

On the other hand, IF you were a coach, and particularly a coach of any stature (as in, not a coach of a little league team - I too have coached such, but that doesn't make me a 'coach'), you wouldn't be hanging out on a chat site, indulging in semantic bantering with such as us. Thus I admit that I don't know for sure about you......but would bet a modest sum that I'm not wrong.

Cheers, 36 hours to weekend time!

gaylordfan1
6/3/2010, 10:55 AM
Stoops and co. look at recruiting a little different than some in their position. They go after kids with certain talents and capabilities rather than the number of stars behind their name.

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 11:03 AM
another reason to recruit a kid like this
http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2010/05/25/ten-at-10-de-ray-drew-not-close-to-committing-anywhere/

I'm guessing he won't
1. http://www.koco.com/video/22574132/index.html

2. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/12n-ouarrest1231-CR.html

3. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2537332

cheezyq
6/3/2010, 11:14 AM

I have to say that I'm as pessimistic now as I'll ever be about OU, and it's simply because I'm tired of being disappointed when they underperform. If the good happens, then I end up appreciating it a lot more.

I remember actually being excited about Blake as a head coach. After Gibbs (who I think wasn't really given an honest shot, after all that he had to work through) and after Drunky, I was very optimistic about Blake. He was known for his recruiting, was a die-hard Sooner, a former player under Switzer, and was young and enthusiastic. What a HUGE disappointment that was. So, I was VERY pessimistic about Stoops, just because we had so much reason to be pessimistic at that point. It was a VERY nice surprise when we won the 2000 MNC.

I have high expectations for OU, but I am pessimistic about our ability to live up to those expectations, even with Stoops. In general, though I might be more critical of our coaching than others, I find that the good times end up being just a little bit sweeter when you're not hoping desperately for it.

But that's just me.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/3/2010, 11:15 AM
Dear Coach Stoops,

I was wondering if instead of recruiting young men who are possibly interested in your school, maybe you should spend more time and money talking to players who don't want to come to Oklahoma. Even though tying up your time with someone not interested could cause you to lose out on players who are, it would make a lot of sense to me, because after all, I know this kid. And therefore, you should be after him. In fact, why don't you only recruit players I personally know? It will be the fastest way back to NC#8.

Please don't recruit off of team needs, but just recruit the top 25 players on the ESPN 150 list. I'm sure they are all interested in attending the same school, even if they play the same position.

Your recruiting middle man,

soonerfromgeorgia

goingoneight
6/3/2010, 11:19 AM
http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2010/05/25/ten-at-10-de-ray-drew-not-close-to-committing-anywhere/

I'm guessing he won't
1. http://www.koco.com/video/22574132/index.html

2. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/12n-ouarrest1231-CR.html

3. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2537332

You're asking to get banned by questioning the character of Stoops's players. You really had to dig up a four-year old article to rip on our character evaluation?

Ever heard of Sam Bradford? Gerald McCoy? Manny Johnson? Mark Clayton? Carl Pendleton? Josh Heupel? I could go on... you keep looking for negative articles, though.

badger
6/3/2010, 11:29 AM
You know who paid attention to recruiting sites and who other schools were after more than anyone else? Coker. He got a nat'l title his first season at Miami, but his recruiting strategy was a losing one. All of the titles and first round picks couldn't save the sh!t-tier recruiting job Coker et al were doing... BY PAYING ATTENTION TO RECRUITING SITES AND WHO EVERYONE ELSE WAS AFTER.

Larry Coker should teach us all a very valuable lesson. Actual recruiting triumphs over Internet recruiting.

sooner518
6/3/2010, 11:30 AM
I know for a fact OU hasn't offered him. His dad graduated with me, he worked for me for 13 years and we are friends to this day.

if you are sooo close to the family, why dont you ask them if he is even open to playing 800 miles from home? As said, many times in this and the previous thread, chances are the OU coaching staff got the impression, explicitly or implicitly, that the kid just wasnt interested in coming to OU.

seriously, reading your posts, its like you dont even read the responses to your question of why we're not recruiting him.

or maybe its some weird OU conspiracy to not recruit players from Georgia, no matter how good they are and how much they want to come here.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

From the Scout page:

North Carolina assistant coach John Blake made his second evaluation visit to Thomasville (Ga.) Thomas County Central High School recently. He followed the trip up with a phone conversation with Ray Drew, a four-star defensive end from the school.

LOL!

goingoneight
6/3/2010, 11:36 AM
I remember your types throwing a screaming meanie because didn't get Jevan Snead, Stephen Garcia or Matthew Stafford... we "only" got A JUCO and some local "project" named Sam Bradford.

If I hadn't seen and known any better about Stoops's evaluation of players, I might get all mad about us not going after someone. Some of his best players are either converted from other positions or not very highly recruited in the first place.

badger
6/3/2010, 11:37 AM
Also, for those who doubt my assessment of Coker, here is proof.

While counterparts were scouring the country for the next All-American, the Hurricanes' coaches likely were parked in front of a computer with a pad and pen. They surfed Internet recruiting sites in search of talent, almost forgetting their own evaluation in the process.

"That's accurate," UM recruiting coordinator Clint Hurtt said. "We spent way too much time recruiting off [Internet] lists and finding these top guys instead of truly evaluating. You can't just go off hearsay or just because Florida, Florida State or Alabama is recruiting him. That doesn't mean a thing."

Link (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2009-06-21/sports/um_1_online-recruiting-spencer-adkins-recruiting-analyst-tom)

yankee
6/3/2010, 11:42 AM

you just said you have no doubt he's going to auburn or alabama, and then you go and post this article. it's pretty obvious (a long time ago) that you're delusional...

goingoneight
6/3/2010, 11:49 AM
The thing I think that Stoops does well is evaluates what a kid can become rather than what he is. A kid may have a cannon for an arm, but can't handle pressure. He knows a guy's frame and what it can become under Schmiddy. This is the reason a lot of guys like Auston English, Mark Clayton and Sam Bradford become successful.

Remember how people were saying OUr 2008 class was far and away the best recruiting class in OU history? Outside of DeJuan Miller, who has shown us even a hint they might even be good, let alone great?

Josh Jarboe? Oh, wait...
Jameel Owens? Oh, wait...
Justin Johnson? Oh, wait...

IIRC, all three of those guys were "can't miss" ESPN All-Everythings. NTM the O-Linemen who left and some of the guys we still have who are riding the bench.

badger
6/3/2010, 11:57 AM
I really do trust the coaches. About the only thing I've questioned lately is why our guys can't get up for big year-end games. However, after the way they fought for last year's bowl, hopefully that's outta their system. If they'll fight for a midtier bowl in El Paso, they'll fight for a BCS title game wherever.

goingoneight
6/3/2010, 12:07 PM
North Carolina assistant coach John Blake made his second evaluation visit to Thomasville (Ga.) Thomas County Central High School recently. He followed the trip up with a phone conversation with Ray Drew, a four-star defensive end from the school.

LOL!

In sooneringeorgia's defense, John Blake recruited Ndamakung Suh and some pretty good ones for OUr 2000 team. He knows the DL, for sure. How to speak publicly, coach, handle pressure, win more than 5 games as a HC... that's a different story.

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 12:08 PM
Just my opinion, but if we ( yes I'm a OU fan) recruited more talented players we might win more of RRS lately, wouldn't be get our butts handed to us in BCS games and not be laughed at for losing to Boise State. Yes Sammy and the others above were special players at OU, but how many more rings would the sooners have if they mixed in a few more top recruits?

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 12:13 PM
if you are sooo close to the family, why dont you ask them if he is even open to playing 800 miles from home? As said, many times in this and the previous thread, chances are the OU coaching staff got the impression, explicitly or implicitly, that the kid just wasnt interested in coming to OU.

seriously, reading your posts, its like you dont even read the responses to your question of why we're not recruiting him.

or maybe its some weird OU conspiracy to not recruit players from Georgia, no matter how good they are and how much they want to come here.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

From the Scout page:

LOL!

He is considering USC and the last time I checked, Southern California is a lot further from Georgia than Oklahoma is.

badger
6/3/2010, 12:14 PM
Just my opinion, but if we ( yes I'm a OU fan) recruited more talented players we might win more of RRS lately, wouldn't be get our butts handed to us in BCS games and not be laughed at for losing to Boise State. Yes Sammy and the others above were special players at OU, but how many more rings would the sooners have if they mixed in a few more top recruits?

Man, we don't win the Big 12 one year and suddenly our recruiting sucks :rolleyes:

goingoneight
6/3/2010, 12:14 PM
You make it sound like we're intentionally going after scraps. The recruiting process is extensive at OU. What you think you know, the coaches know more. One of my friends was a monster defensive end in high school... but nobody liked his technique or his attitude. In Junior college, his technique got him hurt twice, his attitude got him kicked out of school. Good guy, and great numbers in high school... but it's not like you're trading stock here. The coaches do their homework.

He may become the Michael Crabtree we missed out on. He may also become the XLK we "missed out on."

SoonerAtKU
6/3/2010, 12:17 PM
Since you're such a close friend of the family, why haven't you asked him how he feels about Oklahoma? You're not supposed to influence him in recruiting if you're a "booster" of any kind, of course, but you can ask him what he thinks, can't you?

Why are you asking a message board about this, when we're the LAST people who are going to have ANY bearing on where talented kids go to play college football? Ask the coaches, ask the kids, ask their parents, ask their high school coaches, ask Nike, but we don't have your answer, bud.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/3/2010, 12:40 PM
Why are you so in love with this kid??? BFF?

NormanPride
6/3/2010, 12:50 PM
This is the best troll ever! Never leave, man.

We actually had the top rated DE in the nation a couple years back in R.J. Washington. I think Chaisson was really highly recruited as well. The problem is that DE is so tough to evaluate as far as body goes in high schoolers. A kid that comes in at 6'2" 215 may end up at 6'4" 265 if they have the right frame. And a kid that looks great in HS at 6'5" 220 may never get bigger and be a wash.

sooner518
6/3/2010, 12:51 PM
He is considering USC and the last time I checked, Southern California is a lot further from Georgia than Oklahoma is.

fine. why dont you ask him if he would consider coming to Oklahoma?

as youve previously said, he is pretty much a Bammer or Auburn lock. why would our coaches waste their time on someone who is 99% certain he is going to stay in the SEC?

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 12:58 PM
Because you just never know!

Keep a eye on ESPN in a couple of years when he is a sophomore in college (somewhere besides OU), I have a feeling you'll start seeing some highlights of this kid.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/3/2010, 12:59 PM
good for him..hope he does well where ever he ends up..

NormanPride
6/3/2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah no kidding. He'll go to someone in the SEC, get paid a ton, and then get paid more on Sundays a few years later. I doubt he'll regret not coming here, and I doubt we'll regret not recruiting him.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 01:23 PM
Oh my goodness

fwsooner22
6/3/2010, 01:27 PM
We are all on an "opinion board" which means we should all take ourselves with a "grain of salt". Seems like everybody is doing that here 'cept One.

Leroy Lizard
6/3/2010, 02:05 PM
You're asking to get banned by questioning the character of Stoops's players. You really had to dig up a four-year old article to rip on our character evaluation?

Ever heard of Sam Bradford? Gerald McCoy? Manny Johnson? Mark Clayton? Carl Pendleton? Josh Heupel? I could go on... you keep looking for negative articles, though.

I think you took this the wrong way. I think the poster was just pointing out that character is an important point to consider, not just the number of stars. (Take a look at what's happened to our basketball team.)

BoulderSooner79
6/3/2010, 03:01 PM
To say OU should recruit more talent sounds absurd. I'm sure the coaches are judged in part by their recruiting accomplishments and they want to pull in the best players they possibly can. Maybe you are just saying our current staff is not good enough as recruiters - a fair question. At the moment, Norman (and the OU program) doesn't seem to have the same built in attraction as USC, UT, UF and maybe a few others. But a huge majority of the remaining BSC schools would sacrifice their coaches dangley bits to sign the players that OU has signed recently.

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 04:13 PM
To say OU should recruit more talent sounds absurd. I'm sure the coaches are judged in part by their recruiting accomplishments and they want to pull in the best players they possibly can. Maybe you are just saying our current staff is not good enough as recruiters - a fair question. At the moment, Norman (and the OU program) doesn't seem to have the same built in attraction as USC, UT, UF and maybe a few others. But a huge majority of the remaining BSC schools would sacrifice their coaches dangley bits to sign the players that OU has signed recently.

I hold OU to a higher standard than other BCS schools because I'm a fan of the sooners.

badger
6/3/2010, 04:25 PM
I hold OU to a higher standard than other BCS schools because I'm a fan of the sooners.

I think that the reason why people do not take your assessment of this athlete seriously is because you've said that you have ties to his family. Like a proud papa, you're expected to have an inflated view of the kid. It's nothing against you, it's what any friend or family member would think about a star athlete.

Further, I think people are upset that you are not just praising this kid, but rather, calling OU coaches judgment into question because they are not after a kid that you have ties to.

If I ever have a star athlete son, or anyone of my friends or family members do, I would hope and pray that the coaches at OU would consider him for a scholarship. But, if they don't, I'm not going to badmouth OU coaches about it. I would respectfully ask that you do the same

Collier11
6/3/2010, 04:26 PM
Currently for this coming years class we are #7 and #2 By Rivals and Scout
In 09 we were #13 and 10
In 08 we were #6 and 13
In 07 we were # 14 and unranked
In 06 we were #9 and 7
In 05 we were # 3 and 5
In 04 we were #8 and 7
In 03 we were # 4 and 3
In 02 we were #7 and 2

So, in the past 9 seasons out of 18 possible rankings we have been Top Ten 14 times and Top Five 5 times. Im fairly sure this coaching staff can recruit just fine

goingoneight
6/3/2010, 05:12 PM
Who cares where we've been ranked in recruiting? Look at Stoops's record the last 12 years... name one coach more a consistent winner and I guarantee you he's not leaving his Yankees job at Bama, Texas, Florida, etc.

We have one of the best... if missing out on guys like Barry Sanders didn't kill the program, I doubt this kid will.

sooner518
6/3/2010, 05:47 PM
Because you just never know!

Keep a eye on ESPN in a couple of years when he is a sophomore in college (somewhere besides OU), I have a feeling you'll start seeing some highlights of this kid.

Sighhhhh

this is not a case of OU coaches saying "this kid isn't good enough to play for us".

This is a case of the kid indicating that HE DOESNT WANT TO COME HERE!!! The coaches have a very limited amount of time to recruit. Why would they spend one second on a kid who they have absolutely no real shot of getting?

I'm sure he's a great player and a great person, but if we have no shot at getting him, it irresponsible and stupid for our coaches to waste their time on a player who we know wont come here.

BoulderSooner79
6/3/2010, 05:57 PM

Did you check the name of this message board? You may not be the only Sooner fan in the house. My beef with the your messages is that you imply that if we recruit a kid, then we will sign the kid. Yet you admit there are coaches from a dozen other schools attending his games and practices. So Stoops must have some VIP pass to cut to front of the line, eh? As I said before, it's a fair discussion on whether our coaches are great recruiters, but I'd bet anything it's not from lack of effort. Recruiting is inherently unfair - most kids stay relatively close to home. The really high profile guys on every ones' lists seem to land at USC half the time. Maybe that means our coaches suck at selling, but if so, all the other non-USC coaches suck too. But perhaps Hollywood and SoCal weather is a bigger pull than Norman - go figure.

fossil
6/3/2010, 06:22 PM
I posted earlier asking why this kid wasn't on OU's radar and made it clear that I thought he should be since Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, ect. had offered him.

He is now the #3 prospect in the ESPN Top 150 and has 24 or 25 offers.
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=96282&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d962 82%26season%3d2011

I've watched every high school game he has played and IMO he is the 2nd best prospect to come out of our school behind Charlie Ward (Heisman winner) and ahead of Myron Guyton (2 time Superbowl winner/starter with NY Giants and New England) and Danny Copeland (Superbowl winner/starter with Washington)

:D So, what position does your kid play???

Collier11
6/3/2010, 06:44 PM
Who cares where we've been ranked in recruiting? .

I was using it to show those that were saying we havent been great at recruiting

agoo758
6/3/2010, 06:46 PM
:D So, what position does your kid play???

Please say punter, please say punter please say..........:pop:

OU_Sooners75
6/3/2010, 08:33 PM

ask yourself,

Well, If you were a coach, you would understand the recruiting process.

Every school has certain needs they will need to fill by the time that kid gets to college.
Every coach has certain types of players they recruit. Recruiting rankings are not exact science. If so, Sam Bradford should not have been picked #1 in the NFL.
Recruiting sites base their rankings on information they obtain, usually by third person reporting and info. Sometimes they will contact a recruit and talk to them to see if they can pry information from them.
All college teams are restricted by how many hours they can recruit. How many visits they can go on. How much contact they can have with a recruit. All this adding up, if a kid shows virtually no interest in you, then you most likely are not important to them, meaning you would be wasting your time with that recruit.These are very basic recruiting info when it comes to how coaches and programs recruit. There are more than this...and in fact I am pretty sure there are people here that can tell you exactly what a coach is doing and thinking.

As far as being bitter when coming here...calm down. The kid may be a great player. But he also has to show true interest in Oklahoma before OU will be coming to talk to him.

OU_Sooners75
6/3/2010, 08:48 PM

Oklahoma has been playing football since 1895 or for 115 years. Oklahoma has 799 wins or 6.95 wins per season in that time. The Sooners have won an amazing 7 national titles in that 115 years. That is roughly one national championship for every 16.43 years.

With that said...you cannot win every single championship or game you play. It is impossible to do that.

So lighten up...Can you name all current coaches that has coached his team to 4 BCS title games?

There is only one...and that is Bob Stoops!

So, with that said...I am glad he is here!

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 09:08 PM
My beef with the your messages is that you imply that if we recruit a kid, then we will sign the kid.

No where have I implied that if OU recruits the kid he'll sign with the Sooner's but I can guarantee you that if they don't, he won't !!!!!!!!

olevetonahill
6/3/2010, 09:15 PM
No where have I implied that if OU recruits the kid he'll sign with the Sooner's but I can guarantee you that if they don't, he won't !!!!!!!!

http://somecallmeduh.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/captainobvious.jpg

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 09:16 PM
My point is that OU has been beaten by USC, Florida, LSU, Miami in recent years and they have all offered the kid. Maybe if we were recruiting the same players and getting a few of them, it would be the other way around!
It means just as much to keep them from getting someone as it does for you to get that same player.
As a OU fan I'd like to see them get the best available for each position, wouldn't you? If you don't, you are just looking for excuses for when the sooner's lose next. I'm tired of losing every big game OU plays in.

olevetonahill
6/3/2010, 09:18 PM
You have been asked a few times now, IF ya Know this Kids family so well, WHY DONT YA JUST ASK THE KID IF HE'S INTERESTED IN OU?
If he shows a strong interest then send the Staff a Tape
Simple

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 09:21 PM
Oklahoma has been playing football since 1895 or for 115 years. Oklahoma has 799 wins or 6.95 wins per season in that time. The Sooners have won an amazing 7 national titles in that 115 years. That is roughly one national championship for every 16.43 years.

With that said...you cannot win every single championship or game you play. It is impossible to do that.

So lighten up...Can you name all current coaches that has coached his team to 4 BCS title games?

There is only one...and that is Bob Stoops!

So, with that said...I am glad he is here!

You seem to like stats. Please tell me his record in BCS games?
If it isn't him (I don't think it is), it must be the talent compared to the teams he played!

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 09:28 PM
You have been asked a few times now, IF ya Know this Kids family so well, WHY DONT YA JUST ASK THE KID IF HE'S INTERESTED IN OU?
If he shows a strong interest then send the Staff a Tape
Simple

Well lets put it this way,
OU was recruiting our play by play guy to work in the media department and as a replacement for the current OU radio guy. This got out in the open before our radio guy wanted it to because the kid we are talking about saw a letter laying on the teachers desk and though it was to him from OU, so he opened it thinking or possibly hoping it was a offer. I'm not saying he would have accepted, just saying he was interested enough to open the mail.

I don't think I should have to send a tape of the #3 kid in the country to the staff, he should be on their radar already. I'm pretty sure no one sent tapes to USC, Notre Dame.

Leroy Lizard
6/3/2010, 09:31 PM
OU was recruiting our play by play guy to work in the media department and as a replacement for the current OU radio guy. This got out in the open before our radio guy wanted it to because the kid we are talking about saw a letter laying on the teachers desk and though it was to him from OU, so he opened it thinking or possibly hoping it was a offer. I'm not saying he would have accepted, just saying he was interested enough to open the mail..

That story sounds extraordinarily unlikely.

olevetonahill
6/3/2010, 09:31 PM
OU was recruiting our play by play guy to work in the media department and as a replacement for the current OU radio guy. This got out in the open before our radio guy wanted it to because the kid we are talking about saw a letter laying on the teachers desk and though it was to him from OU, so he opened it thinking or possibly hoping it was a offer. I'm not saying he would have accepted, just saying he was interested enough to open the mail..

Just call the Kid up and Ask him :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:
If he really wants to come then Im sure the Coaches will look at him .:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
6/3/2010, 09:34 PM
OU was recruiting our play by play guy to work in the media department and as a replacement for the current OU radio guy. This got out in the open before our radio guy wanted it to because the kid we are talking about saw a letter laying on the teachers desk and though it was to him from OU, so he opened it thinking or possibly hoping it was a offer. I'm not saying he would have accepted, just saying he was interested enough to open the mail.

I don't think I should have to send a tape of the #3 kid in the country to the staff, he should be on their radar already. I'm pretty sure no one sent tapes to USC, Notre Dame.

If hes so ****ing Stupid he will open someone else s mail thinking its His , maybe he caint qualify here .:pop:

OU_Sooners75
6/3/2010, 09:34 PM

Holy Jesus...You are smart arent you?

If OU recruits NO ONE...do you honestly think someone will sign with OU?

:pop:

OU_Sooners75
6/3/2010, 09:35 PM
My point is that OU has been beaten by USC, Florida, LSU, Miami in recent years and they have all offered the kid. Maybe if we were recruiting the same players and getting a few of them, it would be the other way around!
It means just as much to keep them from getting someone as it does for you to get that same player.
As a OU fan I'd like to see them get the best available for each position, wouldn't you? If you don't, you are just looking for excuses for when the sooner's lose next. I'm tired of losing every big game OU plays in.

You just dont get it do you?

Go be stupid somewhere else.

ratherthanlater
6/3/2010, 09:39 PM

Isn't opening someone's mail a federal offense? Sounds like the kid is a bad apple and Bob doesn't want that cancer to spread. Or maybe Bob and Co. don't think he fits their scheme on D. Or maybe they think he doesn't want to come to Oklahoma. Or maybe they found out the play by play guy in the media department had a few years of eligibility left and offered him and this pissed off your family friend D-End and he told Coach to stick it where the sun don't shine. Or maybe the staff feels they would be better served going another direction. Troll on ******.

OU_Sooners75
6/3/2010, 09:43 PM
You seem to like stats. Please tell me his record in BCS games?
If it isn't him (I don't think it is), it must be the talent compared to the teams he played!

It doesnt matter what his stats are...name one other coach that has been as successful over the last 10 years that Stoops has been at OU?

You cant. Just because OU loses games does not mean they are out recruited by anyone.

What it does mean, he was outcoached a few times against coaches that had equal talent on their teams. It has nothing to do with OU having less talent.

I remember everyone, from ESPN to Fox stating that OU would not be able to keep up with the speed of Florida or LSU. Well, a couple of mistakes were the difference in both those games.

To throw the Miami loss last year is not exactly something to be done. OU matched it second worst record under Stoops last year.

The USC game...that was a joke. If Florida has such great talent year in and year out...why didnt they win the title last year? Sma question for LSU and USC?

You should actually try learning more about this sport instead of just flopping your fat *** on the couch with your toothless wife and watching an occasional game while drinking your Milwaukee's Best!

You do know if Stoops stays on track...he will be the fastest coach to win 200 games, just like he was to win 100 games. He will also reach 300 wins well before 30 years as a head coach which would also be the fastest in NCAA history.

LAS Jr, your argument is lame!

You come here asking for answers that no one can give you...and when people give you logical reasons as to why OU is not recruiting the kid, you act a phucking fool.

Leroy Lizard
6/3/2010, 09:46 PM

soonerfromgeorgia, you offered a legitimate question: why isn't OU recruiting a certain player? Plenty of people have responded with good reasons. At this point, you're trying to hang on to a notion that is nonviable and getting too worked up defending it.

There are 150 players on ESPN Top 150 (pretty smart, heh?). We can't go after all of them. We certainly can't offer all of them. Therefore, we pick and choose. I just see no good reason to think that we should go after this kid more than the others.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 09:51 PM
What he is doing is taking a simple question to the extreme for no reason. Im sure we recruited a ton of players that led us to 4 national title games in 11 years that other teams wish they had. Sometimes they work out and sometimes they dont. You cant get everyone though and we have done well with who we have gotten

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 09:56 PM
It doesnt matter what his stats are...name one other coach that has been as successful over the last 10 years that Stoops has been at OU?

You cant. Just because OU loses games does not mean they are out recruited by anyone.

What it does mean, he was outcoached a few times against coaches that had equal talent on their teams. It has nothing to do with OU having less talent.

I remember everyone, from ESPN to Fox stating that OU would not be able to keep up with the speed of Florida or LSU. Well, a couple of mistakes were the difference in both those games.

To throw the Miami loss last year is not exactly something to be done. OU matched it second worst record under Stoops last year.

The USC game...that was a joke. If Florida has such great talent year in and year out...why didnt they win the title last year? Sma question for LSU and USC?

You should actually try learning more about this sport instead of just flopping your fat *** on the couch with your toothless wife and watching an occasional game while drinking your Milwaukee's Best!

You do know if Stoops stays on track...he will be the fastest coach to win 200 games, just like he was to win 100 games. He will also reach 300 wins well before 30 years as a head coach which would also be the fastest in NCAA history.

LAS Jr, your argument is lame!

You come here asking for answers that no one can give you...and when people give you logical reasons as to why OU is not recruiting the kid, you act a phucking fool.

Do you have a excuse for every loss? I notice that you dodged the out-talented excuse for this argument.

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 10:00 PM
Isn't opening someone's mail a federal offense? Sounds like the kid is a bad apple and Bob doesn't want that cancer to spread. Or maybe Bob and Co. don't think he fits their scheme on D. Or maybe they think he doesn't want to come to Oklahoma. Or maybe they found out the play by play guy in the media department had a few years of eligibility left and offered him and this pissed off your family friend D-End and he told Coach to stick it where the sun don't shine. Or maybe the staff feels they would be better served going another direction. Troll on ******.

Only a federal offense if the addressee files charges and that it wasn't a honest mistake, even you should know this wasn't the case in this situation.

soonerfromgeorgia
6/3/2010, 10:04 PM

You do know that is a very big "if" and lets hope he is still in Norman when he reaches 300. You are the type of fan who will turn on him and say he was "over-rated" if and when he leaves for another job.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 10:06 PM
I dont care if he only wins 13 more games as long as that means we win a natl title this year

OU_Sooners75
6/3/2010, 10:15 PM
Do you have a excuse for every loss? I notice that you dodged the out-talented excuse for this argument.

LMFAO...nice troll job.

If you are a sooner fan, which I doubt you are...then you would not pose this question.

1. OU is very rarely, if ever "out-talented." Yes, other teams can grab very talented players, i.e. Reggie Bush, Tim Tebow, Vince Young. But OU has only amassed 150 All-Americans (Ou leads the nation in Unanimous All-Americans at 31). OU is also 4th nationally with 346 past players drafted in the NFL. Ever hear of players like Adrian Peterson, Mark Bradley, Sam Bradford, and on and on and on?

2. Has OU lost some games we all think they should have won? Yes. Can you kindly name me one school or program that has not done this? Florida in 1995 got beat 62-24 by Nebraska, just as one example. Georgia last year to Okie Lite.

3. I have yet given any excuses for games lost. Outside the actual reasons OU lost a couple of games. OU could have been easily up 21+ to 7 at the half against Florida. However, a couple of boneheaded mistakes by the players takes about 3 scoring drives away to equal zero points. OU lost by 10. OU had the chance to tie LSU late in the game. They rush the ball to get inside the redzone...getting a first and goal, OU throws four consecutive passes and loses by 7. Does OU score no matter what? No one knows. But if you had rushed the ball once or twice, or if Jason Whites last pass was a little lower, OU ties and maybe wins. OU gets its *** whipped by USC. OU loses to the only undefeated team in Boise State because of 2 trick plays. Signature win for Boise.

These are not excuses son, this is what happened in those games. Talent does not win games...it helps, but it is the coaching, the mental attitude of the players, and the motivation to win, that wins games!

OU_Sooners75
6/3/2010, 10:17 PM
You do know that is a very big "if" and lets hope he is still in Norman when he reaches 300. You are the type of fan who will turn on him and say he was "over-rated" if and when he leaves for another job.

A very big if?

Here is an if for you...

If you were a Sooner Fan, you would not be acting like this when so many people, from all walks of life, try to give you an answer to a question no one here is qualified to answer.

You may want to stick with your Yellow Jackets of Georgia Tech...because you are not a Sooner Fan.

I am ecstatic we have Stoops...unlike you, I was supporting OU when we were in our dark years in the 1990s. If he does leave OU to take another job...I will be one that thanks him and wishes him nothing but the best of luck. But if he was ready to leave, he would have done so by now...especially since he is building a new house, or just had one built. He would have taken the many different offers he has had in the past to go elsewhere. He hasn't, so I dont see Stoops leaving for any other job. And if he does, I can see him retiring a year or two between jobs.

OU will be naming athletic facilities after this man...No hate will come from me.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 10:22 PM
First of all, Stoops isnt leaving unless it is for the NFL or retirement. Id be more surprised if Stoops went to the NFL than if he just flat out retired after 15 or 20 years which would be another 4-9 years for those of you who cant add :D

OU_Sooners75
6/3/2010, 10:26 PM
You know, I do not have anyone on my ignore list...I think I may have to buck that trend.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 10:28 PM
I dont even care enough to put anyone on ignore, honestly

gaylordfan1
6/3/2010, 10:40 PM
Holy crap.... I'm off the boards for a couple of hours and it reaches 5 pages. I guess I will go back and read... must be good. :confused:

Eielson
6/3/2010, 10:45 PM
I'm not saying he would have accepted, just saying he was interested enough to open the mail.

Wow...

BoulderSooner79
6/3/2010, 11:33 PM

Sorry, I thought my message was obvious, but I guess not. Others spelled it out in more detail, but to summarize: everything in recruiting is limited by the rules. Totals hours, visits, phone calls and text messages. Coaches have to apply the resources to optimize results. We go after as many 5 star, top 150 list or how ever you want to quantify the top recruits as any one else. Most we don't have any chance of getting and the fewer the precious of these resources spent to determine that, the more successful the outcome. And just because a kid has the potential on the field *and* is interested in OU isn't enough. Then there are academics, character, team chemistry and other factors to determine good fit. Amazing enough, some kids even care about how good the school is in their academic area of interest. I don't know anything about this particular kid, but if you inside information and their is a disconnect here, let one of the coaches know.

sooner518
6/4/2010, 07:39 AM
Sorry, I thought my message was obvious, but I guess not. Others spelled it out in more detail, but to summarize: everything in recruiting is limited by the rules. Totals hours, visits, phone calls and text messages. Coaches have to apply the resources to optimize results. We go after as many 5 star, top 150 list or how ever you want to quantify the top recruits as any one else. Most we don't have any chance of getting and the fewer the precious of these resources spent to determine that, the more successful the outcome. And just because a kid has the potential on the field *and* is interested in OU isn't enough. Then there are academics, character, team chemistry and other factors to determine good fit. Amazing enough, some kids even care about how good the school is in their academic area of interest. I don't know anything about this particular kid, but if you inside information and their is a disconnect here, let one of the coaches know.

Obviously there is alot of interest from the kid. I mean, HE OPENED A LETTER! We ought to pencil him in as a starter next year!

Mad Dog Madsen
6/4/2010, 08:12 AM
Can we lock this thread yet? This is getting ridiculous...

Collier11
6/4/2010, 11:35 AM
your face

Scott D
6/4/2010, 12:13 PM
I don't know why any of you bothered responding to this guy. I mean clearly the coaching staff is completely whiffing on the second coming of Lee Roy Selmon and should be fired.

olevetonahill
6/4/2010, 12:23 PM
I don't know why any of you bothered responding to this guy. I mean clearly the coaching staff is completely whiffing on the second coming of Lee Roy Selmon and should be fired.

I know bro
Ive asked him to Contact the Kid and see if hes really interested. If the Kid is Ill tell Bob to get his *** down there and Recruit that kid.

NOVSooner
6/4/2010, 12:25 PM
LMFAO...nice troll job.

If you are a sooner fan, which I doubt you are...

^^^this.....his posts sound more like a horn poster than sooner fan...just sayin

stoops the eternal pimp
6/4/2010, 04:07 PM
Dear Coach Stoops,

I was wondering if instead of recruiting young men who are possibly interested in your school, maybe you should spend more time and money talking to players who don't want to come to Oklahoma. Even though tying up your time with someone not interested could cause you to lose out on players who are, it would make a lot of sense to me, because after all, I know this kid. And therefore, you should be after him. In fact, why don't you only recruit players I personally know? It will be the fastest way back to NC#8.

Please don't recruit off of team needs, but just recruit the top 25 players on the ESPN 150 list. I'm sure they are all interested in attending the same school, even if they play the same position.

Your recruiting middle man,

soonerfromgeorgia

I got a response for the letter I sent on your behalf..

Dear hornfromgeorgia,

Shut the **** up.

Bobby S.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/4/2010, 04:39 PM
I got a response for the letter I sent on your behalf..

Dear hornfromgeorgia,

Shut the **** up.

Bobby S.

I second that.

gaylordfan1
6/4/2010, 05:11 PM
:confused: Where did he go?

soonerinabilene
6/4/2010, 05:13 PM
i heard he doesnt horse collar enough.

goingoneight
6/4/2010, 05:16 PM
I think the obvious answer is this is all Brent Venables's fault. I mean, if we had Mike Stoops, we'd get all 150 of them top ESPN 150.

Collier11
6/4/2010, 05:18 PM
I think the obvious answer is this is all Brent Venables's fault. I mean, if we had Mike Stoops, we'd get all 150 of them top ESPN 150.

You mustve been talking to Curly :D

soonerfromgeorgia
6/4/2010, 07:33 PM
If I could post attachments, I would be more than glad to post pictures of my truck, my golf cart, my computer background and a assortment of hats/shirts that would prove to everyone of you that I am in fact a Sooner fan. Please explain how I can do this and I'll be more than glad to show it.

Collier11
6/4/2010, 07:45 PM
I dont need you to prove anything to me personally but if you want to post for others you can upload them to photobucket.com and post the IMG code

Scott D
6/4/2010, 09:15 PM
or better yet, you can write a letter to Bob Stoops asking why he isn't recruiting this kid, and to Joe Castiglione asking him how he can hire a coach who can't win a bowl game. And while you do all of that, you can quit being asinine on this board.

soonerfromgeorgia
6/4/2010, 09:32 PM
or better yet, you can write a letter to Bob Stoops asking why he isn't recruiting this kid, and to Joe Castiglione asking him how he can hire a coach who can't win a bowl game. And while you do all of that, you can quit being asinine on this board.

I never said Stoops couldn't win bowl games, but he has come up a little short in the BCS games.

Leroy Lizard
6/5/2010, 12:29 AM
soonerfromgeorgia is my designated decoy.

olevetonahill
6/5/2010, 12:36 AM
soonerfromgeorgia is my Biological SON.

Fixed it fer ya

Collier11
6/5/2010, 02:43 AM
soonerfromgeorgia is my designated butt licker.

Whatev Man

OU_Sooners75
6/5/2010, 07:00 AM
I never said Stoops couldn't win bowl games, but he has come up a little short in the BCS games.

Yeah, because all he has done was lose them all. :rolleyes:

OU_Sooners75
6/5/2010, 07:00 AM
soonerfromgeorgia is my alter ego.

I believe that.

soonerhubs
6/5/2010, 08:05 AM
Nick moved to Georgia and came up with a third handle? Interesting!

Scott D
6/5/2010, 09:17 PM

well since with the rare exception bcs bowl games are what he's coached in, that is pretty much what you were saying.