PDA

View Full Version : Mandel's Mailbag 6/2/2010 - OU Feature

HBick
6/2/2010, 09:20 PM
First page of the mailbag details Mandel's take on the Phil Steele Article. Interesting take, in which he points out some of the problems with preseason polls which have been mentioned on this board before. I didn't see an article so I figured I'd post it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/06/02/preseason-polls/index.html

Over the years, we've discussed again and again the various flaws and consequences of preseason polls. I believe I've recycled the phrase "inherently arbitrary" more often than Jimmy Traina has led Hot Clicks with Minka Kelly.

But any debate always comes back to the same, unavoidable fact: Officially or unofficially, the sport will always have preseason polls because there will always be preview magazines -- and fans love preview magazines. The first wave has already begun hitting the newsstands, and while most follow the same general hierarchy that my colleague Andy Staples first proffered last January (Alabama, Ohio Sate, Boise State, et. al.), the industry's most famous contrarian, Phil Steele, has outdone himself this year.

Phil Steele has rated Oklahoma as his preseason No. 1 team ... huh? How would you rate his ranking on a scale of 1-10, with "1" being spot-on and "10" being way past ludicrous?
-- Jason, Ankeny, Iowa

I'd put it a lot closer to 1 than 10, seeing as there are easily 100 teams out there that would be more unlikely picks. While certainly surprising, I hardly find it ludicrous to pick a team that's played for the national championship four team times in the past decade (including as recently as two years ago) to return to that level. If we're assigning a 1 to Alabama (though the more accurate term would be "safe bet," not "spot-on"), then I'd rate Steele's pick a 3.

While Steele, like all of us, has had some notable busts over the years, in general, his are the most accurate predictions of any notable publication (as he's not shy to point out). The reasons are twofold. For one, he clearly puts more time and detail into this endeavor than any reasonably sane person (I believe they had to create a new font size to accommodate all the info he crams onto a single page). But more importantly, Steele, more so than most prognosticators, puts as much emphasis on trying to project forward as backward, on guessing how a team will mature and how it will fare against its given schedule rather than defaulting to how it did the year before.

A classic example came in 2008. I was still an AP voter at the time and clung firmly to my belief that a preseason poll should be treated solely as a "starting point." If a team finished the previous year No. 2 and returned 17 starters, it deserved to start the next season just as high. Hence, most other voters and I had Georgia (which fit that exact description) No. 1. Steele, on the other hand, went with Florida, a team that lost four games the previous year -- including a blowout to Georgia -- but had both potential and a more favorable schedule. Guess who was right?

Now that I'm free of voting responsibilities, I, too, can take more chances when it comes to preseason predictions, and the fact is every one of this year's token contenders has serious questions. Therefore, I have no problem with someone taking a stab on a sleeper team, and the Sooners -- coming off a deceiving five-loss season (three came by a field goal or less) in which they seemed to gel at the end (crushing Oklahoma State 27-0 and putting up 477 yards on Stanford in the Sun Bowl) -- could theoretically fit that bill. Bob Stoops has a history of producing prolific quarterbacks and Landry Jones began fitting that mold last year once he had time to acclimate.

But here's what I don't get about Steele's pick. I don't see anything particularly advantageous about Oklahoma's schedule. The Sooners do miss Big 12 North favorite Nebraska, but they face Cincinnati, Florida State and Air Force out of conference and play in arguably the nation's toughest division. Furthermore, the single most important area I look at in the preseason is a team's offensive line. Oklahoma's was terrible last year and its most accomplished performer (Trent Williams) is gone.

This hardly seems the stuff of a No. 1 team, but again, I'd hardly call it ludicrous. In fact, 10 years ago this fall, Stoops won his lone national championship in Norman -- coming off a five-loss season.

itsok
6/2/2010, 09:41 PM
OU has the potential to do very, very well this year...I like our chances, but we need to have some luck in the injury department. Just like it happened in 2000.

Collier11
6/2/2010, 10:05 PM
OK, this article has been posted twice already...goodness

HBick
6/3/2010, 05:06 PM
OK, this article has been posted twice already...goodness

This article was posted twice already? In it's own topic? I searched through the main page and didn't find anything. Any reason why it's such an inconvenience to you?

goingoneight
6/3/2010, 05:36 PM
I don't know much about Mandel, but this is a good article. It's, dare I say... fair and balanced?

Again, for the doubters: Phil Steele looked at this:

Landry Jones, provided no sophomore slump, should be one of the better QBs in the country. I think a healthy, experienced QB at a place like Oklahoma under a consistent-winning Stoops immediately puts you top 10.

DeMarco Murray, Mossis Madu and Jermie Calhoun... once again a good crop to pick from with potential star power.

The line can only expect to be better by virtue of strength in numbers and experience. IOW, everybody's off the IR and 2009 served a purpose to get the corps ready for 2010. "Expected progress" is reasonable from OU under Stoops.

Miller, Broyles, Reynolds, Stills = the next great OU WR quartet.

This is just offense: No, it's not video game-numbers-2008 OU with RoboBradford slingin TDs left and right... but I don't see many better cupboards stocked in this department.

The defensive line needs an interior presence, true... but when have we not had solid DT play under Stoops? And with the HC being impressed with both lines of scrimmage through winter and spring, you can't help but think that guys like Beal and Alexander will continue to do their thing and bring them along.

LB = stocked

DB is a little top-heavy, admittedly. We can ill-afford injury here... but preseason mags don't know whose ACL or ankle will get hurt if any. It looks at what you've got. And we've got Nelson, Hurst, Proctor and Carter all with starting experience.

Broyles and Murray are game-changing threats on offense as well as special teams. And worst-case-scenario... Tress Way can boot the shat out of a football.

I know, I know... 8-5, right? See: OU 1999-to-2000 Bama 2007-to-2008.

Those numbers and advantages we have coming back make it hard to pick against a team with a top 5 coach.

Top five meaning:
Urban Meyer (life without Tebow and Charlie Strong begins with a n00bie QB and 9 starters gone from defense)
Mack Brown (consistent winner with some serious rebuilding to do himself... good for 10 wins is almost a gimme... but how good can you be graduating all your starters on the DL, McCoy and Shipley? Better than 2008 and 2009 is a stretch. Possible, but not likely. Prove it.)
Nick Saban (the recruiting monster in the SEC will no doubt begin to filter in some prime Saban recruits, but are they ready to defend a National Title with a young defense? Arenas and Tiffin are gone, so is Mt. Cody and Rolondo McClain.)
Jim Tressell (meh... in about the same boat as Stoops as far as reputation goes... his team is relying on the ups-and-downs of life with Pryor.)

stoopified
6/5/2010, 07:50 AM
Good stuff.BTW while EVERYONE talks about Steele picking OU #1,Athlon did too.

Leroy Lizard
6/5/2010, 10:41 AM
I don't like that term "lone national championship" Ugh.

Flagstaffsooner
6/5/2010, 11:59 AM
Good stuff.BTW while EVERYONE talks about Steele picking OU #1,Athlon did too.That's it. Were doomed.:D

Salt City Sooner
6/5/2010, 01:54 PM
Athlon has OU at #5. They did however, pick OU to win the B12 & play Pitt in the Fiesta.