PDA

View Full Version : Detroit pitcher flat SCREWED out of a perfect game.....

Salt City Sooner
6/2/2010, 08:00 PM
2 outs in the 9th, batter hits one to the first baseman who throws to the pitcher (Galarraga) covering for the final out (he was out by a foot). Only problem is the ump blew the call & said he was safe. I'm not even a Tiger fan & I'm sick for the guy.

JLEW1818
6/2/2010, 08:27 PM
yah i hope this ump loses his job, wife, and kids to another man.

Ike
6/2/2010, 08:40 PM
yeah...he was screwed. But thats part of the game. I didn't see the whole AB...watched it on gamecast, and at least in that application, the first strike to the last batter was called way outside...which is about where the final pitch to him was hit. He got one call his way, and the ultimate call against him in that AB....such is the breaks.

JLEW1818
6/2/2010, 08:42 PM
death threats coming his way .

JLEW1818
6/2/2010, 08:51 PM
Heard some post game from Galarraga, he said Joyce (the umpire) personally apologized to him with tears in his eyes.

JLEW1818
6/2/2010, 09:24 PM
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm474/jlew1818/blowncall.jpg

Curly Bill
6/2/2010, 10:27 PM
To blow that call in that situation is beyond ridiculous, or even stupidity. You just don't miss that particular call in that particular situation.

...and yeah: it wouldn't hurt my feelers if this guy lost his job over it. I am sick of officials screwing up and nothing really being done about it.

...and hell! I don't even like baseball and I'm p*ssed about this. :D

tommieharris91
6/2/2010, 10:57 PM
On another note, since when did it become easy for pitchers to throw a perfect game?

Curly Bill
6/2/2010, 10:59 PM
On another note, since when did it become easy for pitchers to throw a perfect game?

It's pretty damn hard when the umps are against ya doing it! :D

Ike
6/2/2010, 11:17 PM

Since they started testing for roids? And since they opened up the strikezone.

Collier11
6/2/2010, 11:38 PM
Theyve been testing for about 7 years now, I think its just that the pitchers are better and they arent being squeezed by the umps as much

It was a screw job but what can ya do, it was a mistake and the ump apologized

yankee
6/2/2010, 11:57 PM
this kind of **** is the reason the MLB needs to expand its replay system to include more than just home runs. i honestly feel bad for the ump, but i feel even worse for that pitcher. that would have been the 3rd perfect game this season, and 2nd in like 5 days! :eek:

Collier11
6/3/2010, 12:04 AM
I disagree, you know how many close plays there are on the bases...are you gonna review every other play of the game?

yankee
6/3/2010, 12:19 AM
I disagree, you know how many close plays there are on the bases...are you gonna review every other play of the game?

limit it to 2 per game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AiN7iDnHmwuXu8DvUncnfDQ5nYcB?slug=jp-galarragareplay060210

Ike
6/3/2010, 12:21 AM
this kind of **** is the reason the MLB needs to expand its replay system to include more than just home runs. i honestly feel bad for the ump, but i feel even worse for that pitcher. that would have been the 3rd perfect game this season, and 2nd in like 5 days! :eek:

God no...please no more instant replay. We don't need games taking forever because every close call has to be reviewed. Yeah, instant replay would 'fix' this particular issue, and a few others that occur over the course of a season. But how often then will umpires make the call thats more easily reversed because they will have the benefit of replay...or how often will close plays that umpires get right 99% of the time already be reviewed and how much longer is that going to drag out the game.

Also: Having replay takes away one of the central messages of baseball to young kids (or at least one of the central messages I got as a kid): The game ain't always fair. Deal with it.

I'm just going to re-post what I wrote about this on Paperclip's FB:

As bad a call as it was, Im having a tough time getting worked up over it. For any PG or NoNo, a pitcher needs a few calls to go his way. Sometimes those are bad calls. It's part of the game, and players have known that since childhood. You put it behind you and get on to the next batter/game.

I believe Joyce when he says that in the moment he believed the runner beat it out. That's the best we can ask for umps. To call it like they see it. I'd rather have that than to have an ump determine his call on a close play based on what is at stake.

And as Paperclip responded..."It's too bad we're talking about an umpire and not Gallaraga, not to mention Austin Jackson's unbelievable catch."

And he's absolutely right. The guy pitched a great game, whether it was a PG or not. Jackson made a hell of a catch. Willy Mays Style. It was a fricking great game. It had a bad call in it, like lots of games do. Gallaraga did exactly what players everywhere are expected to do after a bad call. He got back on that bump and got the next guy.

yankee
6/3/2010, 12:24 AM
God no...please no more instant replay. We don't need games taking forever because every close call has to be reviewed. Yeah, instant replay would 'fix' this particular issue, and a few others that occur over the course of a season. But how often then will umpires make the call thats more easily reversed because they will have the benefit of replay...or how often will close plays that umpires get right 99% of the time already be reviewed and how much longer is that going to drag out the game.

Also: Having replay takes away one of the central messages of baseball to young kids (or at least one of the central messages I got as a kid): The game ain't always fair. Deal with it.

I'm just going to re-post what I wrote about this on Paperclip's FB:

And as Paperclip responded..."It's too bad we're talking about an umpire and not Gallaraga, not to mention Austin Jackson's unbelievable catch."

And he's absolutely right. The guy pitched a great game, whether it was a PG or not. Jackson made a hell of a catch. Willy Mays Style. It was a fricking great game. It had a bad call in it, like lots of games do. Gallaraga did exactly what players everywhere are expected to do after a bad call. He got back on that bump and got the next guy.

there is absolutely no reason, with the given technology we have, to continue to keep the MLB without a halfway decent replay system. it's a joke, and it would NOT stretch the games forever like you say it would...especially if the number of replays were limited in a game.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 12:24 AM
limit it to 2 per game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AiN7iDnHmwuXu8DvUncnfDQ5nYcB?slug=jp-galarragareplay060210

So, what if there were two plays earlier in the game...that play wouldnt be reviewed anyway. I dont agree, Joyce has been one of the better MLB umpires for years, he made a big frickin mistake but it didnt cost the Tigers a win or a playoff spot, unfortunately it did cost them though

Collier11
6/3/2010, 12:26 AM
You are dead on IKE, not to mention, if you watch it in regular speed it is very very close. The umpire doesnt have the ability to slow it down like we do, doesnt take away from the fact that he missed it but I dont want replay either

Collier11
6/3/2010, 12:27 AM
there is absolutely no reason, with the given technology we have, to continue to keep the MLB without a halfway decent replay system. it's a joke, and it would NOT stretch the games forever like you say it would...especially if the number of replays were limited in a game.

How many times throughout a season does something like this come down to an umpires call? Why even have umpires, why not just use cameras and technology. There is no place for further replay in baseball

yankee
6/3/2010, 12:27 AM
So, what if there were two plays earlier in the game...that play wouldnt be reviewed anyway. I dont agree, Joyce has been one of the better MLB umpires for years, he made a big frickin mistake but it didnt cost the Tigers a win or a playoff spot, unfortunately it did cost them though

listen, i'm no expert on instant replay systems...but if there's ALREADY one in place for home runs, it's plain silly to not have one for other circumstances. the umping this year has been a joke across the league, and for a sport that relies more on the human eye than just about any other sport, it needs some kind of replay system.

yankee
6/3/2010, 12:28 AM
How many times throughout a season does something like this come down to an umpires call? Why even have umpires, why not just use cameras and technology. There is no place for further replay in baseball

because you can't kick dirt on a camera and argue with it. :rolleyes:

Collier11
6/3/2010, 12:29 AM
Because the one for HRs takes runs off the board if it is missed. You are only saying it has been a joke because there have been 3 big instances in the last cpl of weeks. Overall, MLB umpires are pretty good and far better than football and bball refs

Ike
6/3/2010, 12:37 AM

If you limit the number of replays to say, 2 as you mentioned earlier, it will just be ineffective. You'll burn the two replays with the first two stolen base attempts. There's no way to have an effective replay system without slowing the game down.

yankee
6/3/2010, 12:41 AM
i guess we'll just agree to disagree on this one.

ouleaf
6/3/2010, 08:30 AM
Ruined the perfecto and the no hitter for the guy. Just awful

The Ump has admitted now that he made the wrong call. MLB should drop him down to the Minor Leagues.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 08:31 AM
Nah, Joyce is one of the really good umps, he just screwed up. Its too bad this couldnt happen to one of the bad umps.

The Denkinger incident in 85 was far worse, cost the Cardinals a WS title most likely. To this day when Denkinger talks about it he still breaks down, he was a good one too unfortunately

GrapevineSooner
6/3/2010, 09:00 AM
Since it occurred on the final out, Bud Selig should do the right thing in the "Best Interests of the Game", overturn Joyce's call, and give Galarraga his perfect game.

He won't. But he should.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 09:01 AM
What amazes me, as incompetent as Selig has proven to be time after time, he gets a very favorable rating by the players. That honestly shocked me...

GrapevineSooner
6/3/2010, 09:05 AM
Ruined the perfecto and the no hitter for the guy. Just awful

The Ump has admitted now that he made the wrong call. MLB should drop him down to the Minor Leagues.

No.

Joyce botched the call. As soon as he saw it on replay, he did the right thing and personally apologized to Jim Leyland and Armando Galarraga.

All parties involved handled the situation with dignity and class after the game. No need to pile on.

Ike
6/3/2010, 10:00 AM
No.

Joyce botched the call. As soon as he saw it on replay, he did the right thing and personally apologized to Jim Leyland and Armando Galarraga.

All parties involved handled the situation with dignity and class after the game. No need to pile on.

Agreed.

GrapevineSooner
6/3/2010, 10:25 AM
Since it occurred on the final out, Bud Selig should do the right thing in the "Best Interests of the Game", overturn Joyce's call, and give Galarraga his perfect game.

He won't. But he should.

On second thought, maybe he shouldn't.

It might open up a Pandora's Box (http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/jim-joyce-wasnt-the-only-one-who-blew-a-call-last-night.html.php).

Question to all of you -- and there are a lot of you -- who want Bud Selig to step in, (http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/should-bud-selig-reverse-the-call-and-award-galarraga-the-perfect-game.html.php) change Jim Joyce's call and award Armando Galarraga a perfect game: do you want Bud to change the outcome of the Mariners-Twins game too (http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100602&content_id=10740160&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea)? Because that one ended on a blown call as well.

The scene: tenth inning, two on, two out, Ichiro at the plate. He lines one up the middle and Twins second baseman Matt Tolbert makes a diving stop and flips it to J.J. Hardy. The call by second base umpire Dale Scott is that base runner Josh Wilson was "safe," thereby allowing Ryan Langerhans comes around to score the game-winning run.

The only problem? He was pretty clearly out (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=8632095&query=game_pk%3D264602).But I will stick to my opinion that baseball needs some expanded use of the replay system.

Give the manager's a limited number of challenges. This isn't like football where the referee needs to check to see if the receiver had control, had two feet down, etc.

The runner is either out or he's safe. It's either a catch or it's not.

No, it won't eliminate all the missed calls in a game. But it will help mitigate them. And tell me, what exactly is wrong with that?

Scott D
6/3/2010, 07:51 PM
Everyone is a fan of replay until that already 4 hour Yankees/Red Sox game goes 6 hours because of instant replay.

texaspokieokie
6/4/2010, 07:48 AM
i very strongly dislike "instant replay" !!!!

even using it; many plays called badly on the field are permitted to stand.

it does make games run longer.

ouleaf
6/4/2010, 09:01 AM
Why not do like the NFL and give the Managers one challenge per game. Would be perfect for situations like last night. Would also bring more strategy to the game. Does the manager elect to use his challenge early on, or hold on to it for later in the game.

Also, why is it that in the MLB it seems like the group of umpires never come together about calls. We see it all the time in the NBA, NFL, Soccer, Hockey, etc where a ref might call a foul, penalty, etc. but the whole unit comes together and discuss it and sometimes overturn it in their discussions.

jkjsooner
6/5/2010, 09:18 PM
Everyone is a fan of replay until that already 4 hour Yankees/Red Sox game goes 6 hours because of instant replay.

I can't see that happening. On average you might have a couple of reviewable plays per game. Obviously you wouldn't review balls and strikes.

I'm just amazed at how much class everyone involved showed. Kids everywhere (and frankly adults as well) could learn a lot from the way the pitcher handled himself. The ump showed a lot of class as well.

One thing I like about professional sports is that umps will generally take responsibility for their mistakes - and if they don't the head of officiating will publically. IMO that makes the mistakes so much more palatable as opposed to the college culture of protecting officials at all costs. (I don't know why CFB can't pay officials a decent salary in exchange for a little public scrutiny.)

Collier11
6/5/2010, 09:20 PM
I can't see that happening. On average you might have a couple of reviewable plays per game.

Id say there are atleast 7-10 close calls on the bases every game.

KC//CRIMSON
6/7/2010, 10:16 AM
Zang!

Xc2xs7POefg

Salt City Sooner
6/13/2010, 03:24 PM
Wanna guess who was just voted the best ump in the bigs?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5281467

Scott D
6/13/2010, 05:53 PM
I'm actually surprised that CB Bucknor was voted worse than Joe West. Angel Hernandez rounding out that trio isn't a shocker since they're all three awful.