PDA

View Full Version : Capel names assistants

Collier11
6/2/2010, 07:43 PM
Capel Promotes Goodman, Phelps to Assistant Coach Positions

June 2, 2010

NORMAN, Okla. - University of Oklahoma head men's basketball coach Jeff Capel announced Wednesday that he has promoted Bryan Goodman and Dionne Phelps to assistant coach positions. The pair worked on Capel's staff the last four years, with Goodman serving as director of basketball operations and Phelps as video coordinator.

"After talking to and interviewing several candidates, I kept coming back to Bryan Goodman and Dionne Phelps," said Capel, who is 82-51 in his four seasons at OU. "They represent everything I wanted in this search for assistant coaches. They have experience and have experienced success. Also, they will be incredibly invested in what needs to be done.

"I'm very excited about both hires and look forward to our future together."

Goodman, 37, has 10 years of experience as a collegiate assistant coach, six of them at Bucknell University. He helped the Bison to a 105-76 record over the 2000-01 through 2005-06 seasons, including a 52-30 Patriot League mark. Bucknell posted a 24-4 conference record his final two years on staff, the same years it knocked off No. 3 seed Kansas in the 2005 NCAA Tournament in Oklahoma City and No. 8 seed Arkansas in the 2006 NCAA Tournament first round in Dallas.

Goodman also served as assistant coach for two seasons at Susquehanna University (1998-99 and 1999-00) and for two seasons at his alma mater, Barat College in Lake Forest, Ill. (1996-97 and 1997-98).

"Bryan was an assistant on some really good Bucknell teams," said Capel. "He has a lot of experience recruiting, teaching and helping student-athletes achieve success on and off the court. He will be a tremendous asset to our coaching staff."

Said Goodman, "I'm grateful to Coach Capel for the opportunity. I'm extremely proud to be a part of the University of Oklahoma and the men's basketball program, and am anxious to take on this new role."

Goodman graduated from Barat College in 1996 with a degree in interdisciplinary social science and earned a master's degree in history from DePaul University in 1998. He lettered three times as a point guard at Barat and served as a team captain his final two seasons. He was an academic All-American as a senior.

Born in Ankara, Turkey, and raised in Choctaw, Okla., Goodman and his wife, Amy, have three children.

The 44-year-old Phelps has 16 years of experience as an assistant coach, all collegiately in the state of Texas. His most recent coaching stint was at UT San Antonio from the 2003-04 through 2005-06 campaigns. There he helped the Roadrunners to 2004 Southland Conference regular season and tournament titles, as well as an NCAA Tournament berth. He served as associate head coach his final year at UTSA prior to joining the OU staff.

Prior to working at UTSA, Phelps spent four seasons as an assistant at Texas State (1999-00 through 2002-03), one at Baylor (1998-99) and eight at his alma mater, Texas Lutheran (1989-90 through 1992-93 and 1994-95 through 1997-98).

"Dionne has a lot of coaching experience and is a man of tremendous character," said Capel. "He will have an amazing impact on the lives of our current and future student-athletes. He is also very respected as a recruiter and will be an asset to us in that regard nationally and in surrounding states."

Said Phelps, "I'm honored to be a part of Coach Capel's staff and can't express how excited I am to get back into coaching. I've missed being able to work with players in practice the last four years and I've also missed being out on the recruiting trail. I'm going to hit the ground running and continue to treat my job and the University of Oklahoma with the utmost respect."

The San Antonio, Texas, native, graduated from Texas Lutheran in 1989 with a degree in physical education. He earned all-conference honors twice and was inducted into the school's athletic hall of honors in 2002.

Phelps, who earned a master's degree in education from Texas State in 1996, and his wife, Lisa, have two children.

A search has begun to fill the positions of director of operations and video coordinator

StoopTroup
6/2/2010, 08:40 PM
Hey Dean...

Director of Operations is open.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/3/2010, 08:15 AM
Groovy...

stoopified
6/3/2010, 03:58 PM
I have to admit I was hoping for a bigger splash hire but I still trust Jeff and what he is doing.KS had a lot of coaches with less than blueblood pedigrees and it worked for him AND THERE IS NO REASON TO THINK IT CAN'T WORK FOR jEFF.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 03:59 PM
Im assuming that Capel is going for experience and character over a big name, atleast thats what I hope he is doing