PDA

View Full Version : Hey UT.... bwhahahahahahahahaha!

the_ouskull
6/2/2010, 10:43 AM
http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/university-of-texas-dorm-named-for-ku-klux-klan-leader/19497081?icid=mainhp-laptopdl1link3http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fnatio n%2Farticle%2Funiversity-of-texas-dorm-named-for-ku-klux-klan-leader%2F19497081

I mean, I'm sure that with names like "Bud Wilkinson," and "Gomer Jones," you'd question it, but I don't think we've ever named any buildings after known Klansmen. I hope I'm wrong, 'cause this is funny as sh*t.

the_ouskull

goingoneight
6/2/2010, 11:26 AM
Say it ain't so... SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!

No way could something negative be said about Tejas?

Quick... somebody bring up Capel... errr... and Bomar... errr... and academics! :texan:

OffroadOUFan
6/2/2010, 11:38 AM
On OU's campus, there is a building formerly known as Debarr Hall. There still is--or was when I was around--a street on campus corner, I think, named Debarr Avenue or Street. I believe for a time, the formerly-known Debarr Hall was called Chemistry Hall and is now known as Old Science Hall, but both of those names may be incorrect or for different buildings altogether.

Time has clouded my memory, but in the mid 1990s there was some issue about giving an award or scholarship in Debarr's name. I don't know if the award was ever given or if a solution was ever decided upon.

The short and sweet summary of Debarr's OU-related history is found here (http://pharmacy.ouhsc.edu/about/debarr.asp).

OU44life
6/2/2010, 11:39 AM
I'll bet that kind of stuff has happened all over the country especially in SEC country. Its even happened at OU.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19880507&id=VGkaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=yCoEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1814,7706762

Whats important though is what each university chooses to do or not do about it.

badger
6/2/2010, 11:58 AM
I think a lot of people used to be KKK members, just because everyone else was doing it. Hell, even liberal senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia (the one who infamously said "barbaric" over and over like a senile old man referring to dog fighting) was once a KKK grand wizard (what a stupid name) at one time.

The current pope was once a member of the Hitler Youth, because he was forced to be. Perhaps this professor had to join the KKK because his boss was the leader in Austin, in order to get/keep his job?

I think rather than completely chastise the guy for being a member, they should find out what exactly he did with the group when he was a member.

But as always, Texas still sucks :D

KantoSooner
6/2/2010, 12:45 PM
I don't think force had much to do with Herr Popemeister's membership in Der Hitlerjungen. You have to remember that the pope at that time was for all intents and purposes a Nazi himself. The Hitler Youth acted pretty much as an accepted youth activity of the church.

fwsooner22
6/2/2010, 12:52 PM
Well of course it could happen everywhere else because...well....we all suck....but in Austin ? They are perfect and diverse and liberal and understanding and "they get it". What a bunch of hypocrite pretenders. The UT crowd reminds me of congress; we get it and you all do what we say because we say so. "Nevermind that we aren't any better, we are better because we say we are better and the rules don't apply to us". Puke.

badger
6/2/2010, 01:01 PM
For the record, UT has 2,192 black students, and 830 are black men,not including foreign students, in fall 08.

This is exactly what Switzer was telling recruits about UT way back when: "You're gonna be lonely."

KantoSooner
6/2/2010, 01:43 PM
Wow. Those numbers are incredible. With Houston, Dallas and East Texas, in general, not being too terribly lilly white, that gets awfully close to 'presumption' of an exclusion policy.

badger
6/2/2010, 01:58 PM
Wow. Those numbers are incredible. With Houston, Dallas and East Texas, in general, not being too terribly lilly white, that gets awfully close to 'presumption' of an exclusion policy.

I really think that top ten percent rule disallowed them from focusing on diversity solely. It was totally pwning their enrollment, which they recently got the legislature to approve capping at 75 percent of incoming freshmen, so now it's more like top 9 or top 8 percent... gotta free up spots for the Vince Youngs that aren't even in the top 99 percent, yknow :D

I mentioned it earlier, but one legislator suggested that the academic standards apply to athletes as well, which will force students to work harder to get into the top 10 percent to qualify for UT. Oh yeah, the whorns'll love that - "Sorry Vince Young, you are a future Heisman finalist and will lead us to the 05 title single-handedly, but your class ranking sucks, so I guess you'll go to A&M instead! Whoooooop!"

But what was this thread about originally? Texas sucking? Oh yeah, they totally suck.

starclassic tama
6/2/2010, 02:19 PM
830 are black men,not including foreign students, in fall 08.

and probably 100 or more of those are athletes...

SbOrOiNaEnR
6/2/2010, 02:23 PM
On OU's campus, there is a building formerly known as Debarr Hall. There still is--or was when I was around--a street on campus corner, I think, named Debarr Avenue or Street. I believe for a time, the formerly-known Debarr Hall was called Chemistry Hall and is now known as Old Science Hall, but both of those names may be incorrect or for different buildings altogether.

DeBarr Hall = Chemistry Building, which looks like the Law Barn (now known as the Western History Collection).

Old Science Hall is a seperate building (I think the official name is now Beatrice Carr Wallace "I-Gave-a-Ton-of-Money-to-Have-a-Building-Named-For-Me" Hall). THAT building looks like the Carnegie Library.

The pairs are located opposite each other on Parrington (North) Oval.

yankee
6/2/2010, 02:33 PM
For the record, UT has 2,192 black students, and 830 are black men,not including foreign students, in fall 08.

This is exactly what Switzer was telling recruits about UT way back when: "You're gonna be lonely."

OU has 1,037 black students...obviously OU is much smaller in terms of enrollment when compared to UT, but i wonder how that stacks up in terms of pct...because that seems like an awfully small number for us too...i came from a high school that was like 98% white and i expected to be blown away with the amount of diversity at college...it wasn't nearly as mind-blowing as i had previously thought. :D

badger
6/2/2010, 02:38 PM
The difference is that Oklahoma has

1- Less people.
2- Less black people.

8 percent of Oklahoma's population is black according to U.S. stats. The same stats site says Texas' black population makes up 11.9 percent of its population... and that's with a lot more people, mind you (about 24 million versus about 3 million).

based on population, UT should have about 6,000 black students, whereas OU should have about 2,000.

GKeeper316
6/2/2010, 02:41 PM
I don't think force had much to do with Herr Popemeister's membership in Der Hitlerjungen. You have to remember that the pope at that time was for all intents and purposes a Nazi himself. The Hitler Youth acted pretty much as an accepted youth activity of the church.

no it was more like joining the boy scouts.

and he was 13 years old. i dont know about you guys, but when i was 13, i did what i was told and didnt concern myself with moral objections.

MeMyself&Me
6/2/2010, 02:45 PM
OU has 1,037 black students...obviously OU is much smaller in terms of enrollment when compared to UT, but i wonder how that stacks up in terms of pct...because that seems like an awfully small number for us too...i came from a high school that was like 98% white and i expected to be blown away with the amount of diversity at college...it wasn't nearly as mind-blowing as i had previously thought. :D

I also came from a high school with a very high percentage of white students (only one student in my class was black). When I got to OU, most of what I saw around campus were Greeks (rich white kids getting paid by their parents to skip half their classes and party). The students that I worked with were predominantly black though. Enough so that 1,037 number kinda sounds a bit low to me. What did strike me that I didn't expect was the number of international students there.

the_ouskull
6/2/2010, 02:49 PM

1- Less people.
2- Less black people.

8 percent of Oklahoma's population is black according to U.S. stats. The same stats site says Texas' black population makes up 11.9 percent of its population... and that's with a lot more people, mind you (about 24 million versus about 3 million).

based on population, UT should have about 6,000 black students, whereas OU should have about 2,000.

Then you have to take into account the number of major state schools. This would cut UT's number into 3rd's (A&M and Tech) and OU's into half (OSU) meaning that UT is even MORE out of wack. :D

Yeah, I suck at math, but I swear there was a point in there somewhere if someone smarter than I would care to look for it.

Oh, and by the way, I missed yesterday, but it's (after) June 1st, so I'm trying to get the "hate Tejas" ball rolling full-steam. I, like many of you, never really stop... but sometimes during the off-seasons, it's easier to let them become background noise.

Heh. A KKK dorm. Nice move, idiots.

the_ouskull

KantoSooner
6/2/2010, 02:51 PM
no it was more like joining the boy scouts.

and he was 13 years old. i dont know about you guys, but when i was 13, i did what i was told and didnt concern myself with moral objections.

Fair enough, but let's not credit the pedophile-in-chief with being 'forced' into the organization.

yankee
6/2/2010, 03:14 PM

1- Less people.
2- Less black people.

i guess if you pick and choose which numbers to sample from, it can make your argument stronger...but i don't think, at least, that state populations are relevant...since we were talking about the low number of black students at the university of texas. ;)

yankee
6/2/2010, 03:16 PM
What did strike me that I didn't expect was the number of international students there.

yes...those darned asians. :D

taking over the huff basketball courts in their gangs...there's seemingly millions of them...

badger
6/2/2010, 03:46 PM
Heh. A KKK dorm. Nice move, idiots.

the_ouskull

They call it the Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity house ;)

the_ouskull
6/2/2010, 03:57 PM
Well, there's only one "K" in "skull," so I feel okay for now.

There's also one "K" in "KILL!" (Sorry, I was trying to get my knees pumped up to go and play ball. They just peed in the floor, though, so I should go...)

the_ouskull

bluedogok
6/2/2010, 09:26 PM
Old Science Hall is a seperate building (I think the official name is now Beatrice Carr Wallace "I-Gave-a-Ton-of-Money-to-Have-a-Building-Named-For-Me" Hall). THAT building looks like the Carnegie Library.
My architecture lab was in the basement of that building, it was not in very good shape in 1983.

This was in the news here a couple of weeks ago, of course some want to whitewash history but other students thought it more relevant to keep it and make its history known as an example.

Leroy Lizard
6/2/2010, 11:14 PM
Of all the damn things to worry about: "What is the background of the person this building is named after?"

olevetonahill
6/2/2010, 11:27 PM
Of all the damn things to worry about: "What is the background of the person this building is named after?"

Yer not even upset that hes Dead either are ya ?:rolleyes:

StoopTroup
6/3/2010, 05:05 AM
You know I don't think this is so much about OU or another School in the SEC or wherever....

This is about how callous and uncaring +exas university and there ilk are to the plight of black Americans and the History of a former KKK member who a backround check should have revealed that honoring him might just upset a few folks.

I'd like to think that just because someone threw a bunch of dough at you that most Universities would be glad to accept an anonymous endowment from someone who had violated peoples civil rights and was just trying to take a swipe at letting go of their past and doing something that GOD Almighty would be proud of...but to offer that dough up so that you could be honored by having a building, or a plaque or whatever, I think Universities and the like need to be more careful and make sure they aren't being used to honor such folks because they later became "OK" or really nice older folks who just got caught up in an organization they later denounced.

As a White kid growing up in America I think we shouldn't honor folks fir finally doing the right thing. I'd like to think that someday there wouldn't be a KKK or anyone who thinks they are judged by their race but it's going to happen. I however don't think honoring folks like that with a building named after them is appropriate. If one is uncovered that was done 2 decades ago that's one thing but to have done it recently in today's social climate....I have to think that was not only a ****ty thing to do...but that the u of t should be ashamed.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 07:36 AM
i came from a high school that was like 98% white and i expected to be blown away with the amount of diversity at college...it wasn't nearly as mind-blowing as i had previously thought. :D

Well, quit taking all English classes ;)

Collier11
6/3/2010, 07:38 AM
yes...those darned asians. :D

taking over the huff basketball courts in their gangs...there's seemingly millions of them...

Meh, when I was playin at the huff every day it was more frat dooshers than asians trying to take over the court. Thats why you just gotta beat them and not let them back on the court :D

TheHumanAlphabet
6/3/2010, 12:10 PM
DeBarr Hall = Chemistry Building, which looks like the Law Barn (now known as the Western History Collection).

You must be an Engineer ;)

Leroy Lizard
6/3/2010, 02:14 PM
I'd like to think that just because someone threw a bunch of dough at you that most Universities would be glad to accept an anonymous endowment from someone who had violated peoples civil rights and was just trying to take a swipe at letting go of their past and doing something that GOD Almighty would be proud of...but to offer that dough up so that you could be honored by having a building, or a plaque or whatever, I think Universities and the like need to be more careful and make sure they aren't being used to honor such folks because they later became "OK" or really nice older folks who just got caught up in an organization they later denounced.

Maybe, but if I give the $$$ with the understanding that a building is to be named after me, I don't want the building's name changed later.

If UT is willing to give back all the money that was donated (including interest) to the family, then they can rename the building to their heart's content. We will then know exactly important this issue really is.

If they don't want to pony up the cash (which over a period of 100 years would be considerable) then they should leave well enough alone.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 02:22 PM
Money Talks, Boone Pickens made part of his fortune by being a bully and a thief, of course I would never expect osu fans to be up in arms about something lacking ethics

47straight
6/4/2010, 04:29 PM
UT named the stadium after the coach/AD who didn't integrate the team until the 70s (ok, maybe 1969) so why would this be any worse?

StoopTroup
6/4/2010, 04:35 PM
Maybe, but if I give the $$$ with the understanding that a building is to be named after me, I don't want the building's name changed later.

If UT is willing to give back all the money that was donated (including interest) to the family, then they can rename the building to their heart's content. We will then know exactly important this issue really is.

If they don't want to pony up the cash (which over a period of 100 years would be considerable) then they should leave well enough alone.

I'd just tell you to come get your ****Ing building and charge you rent hourly until you move it.

Leroy Lizard
6/4/2010, 05:27 PM
I'd just tell you to come get your ****Ing building and charge you rent hourly until you move it.

Okay, then they can charge UT backdated usage fees.

In all seriousness, they don't own the building. And in even more seriousness, there is probably something in the law that frees the institution to rename a building after a certain period of time. Ethically though, it stinks.