PDA

View Full Version : Random NBA Talk: Re: Trades

the_ouskull
6/1/2010, 08:05 PM
I was thinking about what's been in the news, and TA-DA:

Toronto trades Mongo, Marcus Banks, and Reggie Evans (or, if they want to do it, Jose Calderon instead of Banks and Evans) to Washington for Gilbert Arenas and Andrae Blatche. (The Wiz may also consider Javale McGee or Al Thornton in some combination...)

What do you think about summa dat? It works under the cap, it makes both teams worse. It's a modern-day NBA trade. :D

the_ouskull

Eielson
6/1/2010, 08:32 PM
Can we include free agency in this thread, or do we need a separate one?

the_ouskull
6/1/2010, 09:42 PM
Surprise me.

Eielson
6/1/2010, 10:38 PM
Ooooh! This is exciting!

ouleaf
6/2/2010, 08:41 AM
Who do you mean by "Mongo"?

the_ouskull
6/2/2010, 10:48 AM
Hedo Turkoglu. Who else would I mean by "Mongo," have you ever looked at the guy?

the_ouskull

ouleaf
6/2/2010, 11:54 AM
That's what I figured, just wanted to make sure.

Is this trade also under the assumption that Bosh packs up and leaves Toronto too?

Even still I would definitely jump at this if I were Toronto. Arenas is still only 28 years old and despite having the character issues and being prone to injuries, he is still a great player. I also think Blatche is someone to watch next season as well. He was quite the fantasy stud the last few months of the season after the Dallas and Cle trades opened up more playing time for him.

Definitely pull the trigger on this if you can keep Calderon too (Banks and Evans are pretty much spares anyhow). While Jose isn't a world beater he is definitely a servicable PG. And if you can convince Bosh to resign with the addition of Arenas then the Raptors may really have something.

While i think this trade would be a losing proposition for the Wizards it would clear out Arenas and allow the incoming John Wall to be the unquesitoned face of the franchise.

starclassic tama
6/2/2010, 01:12 PM
not sure arenas is a great player... he is an great scorer, but so is a guy like michael redd and i don't really consider him great. just seems like arenas scores too many empty points...

the_ouskull
6/2/2010, 03:02 PM
Arenas, of whose game I used to be a big fan, has really started to wear on me because his usage rate sucks, and his shooting percentages haven't gotten any better.

BUT, in Toronto, if they keep Calderon, then does Gilbert play the two? Do they try to move Derozan to the three? If they get rid of Calderon, who seems to want out with the way he played last season - stinking up the joint something horrible, the team would be telling Agent Zero, "This is your team. Win for us." Gilbert is someone who needs to hear that.

Gilbert,
Jarrett Jack,
DeRozan or Sonny Weems,
Amir Johnson,
Bargnani

Now, bring DeRozan or Weems off of the bench, with Bellinelli, Antonie Wright, and, Mensa-Bonsu - along with their draft pick(s) and they're a decent defensive team with the potential to get up and down the court a lot, depending on how Jack and Gilbert are taking care of the ball.

Also, you couldn't play Gilbert with Calderon, because they both dominate the basketball, and their styles cancel one another out. (AZ: Reckless... JC: Turtle...)

the_ouskull

ouleaf
6/2/2010, 03:29 PM
I think you could get pretty creative between Arenas and Calderon. If you keep Calderon you pretty much have to play him with the money you are paying him. My point is he'd be pretty hard to move with the years and money left on his contract.

Why not go with...

Calderon - PG
Arenas - SG
DeRozan - SF (I think he could move over here. He's a pretty good rebounder, and a good enough defender to cover most other 3's)
Blatche - PF
Bargnani - C (could flip with Blatche)

Then you'd have Jack, and assuming they resign Johnson, Wright, et. all it would be a pretty good bench. Might have to add a little more depth than that though to really make some noise.