PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Classic Programming Alert: II

Sooner04
5/31/2010, 10:56 PM
It comes around every March, and you can almost set your watch to it. It is driven into your skull as a pillar of all that is constant, all that is inevitable. A 16-seed has never defeated a 1-seed in the NCAA Tournament.

But in 1989, it damn near happened.

At 4 PM you'll see a mighty OU team absolutely on the ropes in Nashville. Stacey "Sky" King, Mookie Blaylock, Tyrone Jones and Skeeter Henry. They were the Big 8 Champions for crying out loud, and they damn near became the answer to the most hideous trivia question in the history of sports, all at the hands of East Tennessee State and a man they called "Mister", Keith Jennings.

Tune in and try to keep down your lunch because we certainly made it FAR beyond interesting.

NMSooner'80
6/2/2010, 09:45 AM
No doubt that was nearly the shocker that would have rendered Boise State meaningless years later. I was getting a business degree from UNM at the time, and I got home and turned on the TV to check the scores (it wasn't on TV live at the time). I about died of shock when I saw that OU was DOWN by 17 points.

CBS did switch to it later, and I got to see the comeback.

Sooner24
6/2/2010, 07:36 PM
That might have been the worst game Mookie ever played at OU. Caught the last half of the game yesterday and the only thing that kept me watching was knowing we pulled it out.