PDA

View Full Version : Stoops: Don't play for a discount

sooner59
5/31/2010, 02:54 PM
I am not a fan of Berry Tramel, but he has a decent article here with Stoops. Made some valid points regarding players leaving early, most notably the ones who aren't assured of a 1st round pick.

http://newsok.com/bob-stoops-dont-play-for-a-discount/article/3465011

badger
5/31/2010, 03:29 PM
I am not a fan of Berry Tramel, but he has a decent article here with Stoops. Made some valid points regarding players leaving early, most notably the ones who aren't assured of a 1st round pick.

http://newsok.com/bob-stoops-dont-play-for-a-discount/article/3465011

I enjoyed this article also (but was having too much fun posting anti-baylor stuff on a different thread to post this, haha).

No player took a bigger discount during Stoops' OU career than Jimmy Wilkerson, but he really had to take care of his family, so Stoops (and I) understood why he had to go pro early. It is fortunate that injuries did not sideline his career early-on.

Other players that I can think offhand include Malcolm Kelly (pick 51 overall, second round), Curtis Lofton (another second rounder that belonged in the first round) and now, Dom Franks (fifth round this past draft)

Looking at Stoops' draft picks during his time at Oklahoma (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/stoops_draft.html), those are the ones that stick out the most (although admittedly, I'm probably forgetting that some still had eligibility when they went to the draft and mistakenly thought they were seniors when they were drafted).

So, I wonder if Stoops' message is really sinking in, seeing how the more questionable drops have been during the past several seasons. Or perhaps, he hasn't had a need to really emphasize this issue until recently.

stoopified
5/31/2010, 03:58 PM
All Berrry did in this article is acknowledge that Bob is right;that if you are NOT a first round draft choice you need to stay in school.I think most people have known that for years.

diegosooner
5/31/2010, 06:14 PM
Each case is probably a little different. But in general I agree, if one is not at the top of draft expectations, then wait a year.

Some won't go higher, though. And if they had a great junior season may fall a bit if production drops.

ashley
5/31/2010, 07:00 PM
Each case is probably a little different. But in general I agree, if one is not at the top of draft expectations, then wait a year.

Some won't go higher, though. And if they had a great junior season may fall a bit if production drops.

I find it funny that you generally agree.

rawlingsHOH
5/31/2010, 07:40 PM
Most of the early-entries, a very high percentage, probably did the right thing.

oumartin
5/31/2010, 08:42 PM
that selfish Bradford kid needed another year in school I tell ya! ;)

olevetonahill
5/31/2010, 09:11 PM
I find it funny that you generally agree.

I find it funny that hes Green and yer RED

No shat bro , what was he thinkin ?:cool: :D

Eielson
5/31/2010, 11:28 PM
There isn't really a right and wrong answer. Laurinaitis was looked at as possibly top-10 pick after his junior year. He came back for his senior year and got picked in the second round. It looks like a bad move on his part, but he went to the Rams, started at MLB from day 1, received ROY votes, and will probably be starting for the Rams as long as he is healthy. It looks like it turned out great for him coming back.

sooner59
6/1/2010, 12:10 AM

He ended up ok, I think. :D

Everyone knew he was still a 1st rounder, though.

Collier11
6/1/2010, 12:12 AM
If you are making the decision that you want to make, it is the right decision no matter what anyone else may think

VA Sooner
6/1/2010, 08:22 PM
Tough for a young man to consider "not" making the millions by getting out a year earlier. How many can show impulse control at that age?

Thank god we've got Travis Lewis and Beal on defense... going to be a good year.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/2/2010, 10:34 AM
Most of the early-entries, a very high percentage, probably did the right thing.

agreed...

Malcolm kelly wasn't gonna get an attitude adjustment and new knees by staying

Curtis Lofton wasnt gonna get any faster..obviously he has proven better now that he deserved a higher pick but another college football season wouldnt have done much if anything for him

Dom Franks did the right thing if he was scared about something happening his senior year or he wasn't gonna play 100%...thats about where he belonged anyway

I would probably say they made the right decision...like what c11 said, its what they wanted to do...