PDA

View Full Version : Margaritas

StoopTroup
5/30/2010, 06:45 PM
Went to the store awhile ago and every Marg Mixer has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it.

We have banned HFCS from our hOUse.

I am currently using a manual QVC juicer to juice up 12 limes and 2 lemons so we can have a few Margs with our grilled chicken quesadillas and nachos.

Wife makes fresh Pico de Gallo too.

Anyone know if there is a brand of Marg mixer out there w/o HFCS in it?

We checked everyone we saw at the grocer. Rose, Buffet, Mr. T, On the Border, The Bucket and probably four others all had it. We checked the frozen stuff too...bacardi, minute maid....all of them too.

http://www.chefdepot.net/graphics38/pa961.jpg :(

SoonerInKCMO
5/30/2010, 07:10 PM
Don't bother with a margarita mix; all you need is good tequila, the fresh lime juice you have and some Triple Sec. Add some sugar if you want or sub Blue Curacao for the Triple Sec.

Or, just get really good tequila and skip the rest. :D

SoonerInKCMO
5/30/2010, 07:11 PM
Oh - but if you really want some mix, check out Whole Foods - they have lots of HFCS-free products.

GKeeper316
5/30/2010, 07:40 PM
beer

StoopTroup
5/30/2010, 07:45 PM
It's gettin that lime juice out of these rock freaking hard limes...lol

StoopTroup
5/30/2010, 07:46 PM
We used to use that other crap because it was convenient. I like Fresh lime much better too.

GKeeper316
5/30/2010, 08:00 PM
place whole lime on counter top or cutting board.
push down on lime and roll it around.
poke hole in lime and squeeze juice out.

little trick i picked up in my years of bartending.

StoopTroup
5/30/2010, 08:21 PM
Were in Margaritaville already G but thanks for the tip.

6 double shots of Suaza Gold...2 double shots of Gran Marnier...

We took the lime juice with 1 lemon juice and 1 1/2 cup of sugar and it was around 1 1/2 up lime/lemon juice so we added 7 cups of water and put it in a 1 gallon shaker with ice and then added about 1/2 of the total to the liquor mix and then shook it up in the shaker and poured the margs into a couple of those Pier One type cactus marg glasses we had cooling off in the freezer.

IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG NOW!

StoopTroup
5/30/2010, 08:21 PM
Oh yeah....fresh pico just hit the counter with fresh chips!

StoopTroup
5/30/2010, 08:24 PM
Oh - but if you really want some mix, check out Whole Foods - they have lots of HFCS-free products.

Good idea. You know when you're gonna have a bunch of folks over and you don't want to go shop for some decent limes...

Hell....these today weren't that great and they were getting 89 cents a lime...try and make margs for 5-10 folks the way I make margs and you'll be out $100 bucks quick.

Thanks for the tip KCMO....

StoopTroup
5/30/2010, 08:27 PM
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS LIVE FROM NYC on AT&T UVERSE FOR FREE!

61R0LO9Sa0k

StoopTroup
5/30/2010, 08:31 PM
I wanna run through your empty garden....

http://www.stp.eu/images/about-petty.jpg

GKeeper316
5/30/2010, 08:55 PM
wicked garden, troup, wicked garden.

StoopTroup
5/30/2010, 08:57 PM
Never smoke the orange...you've been warned... :D

XFQa3D3xD4o

delhalew
5/30/2010, 09:18 PM
place whole lime on counter top or cutting board.
push down on lime and roll it around.
poke hole in lime and squeeze juice out.

little trick i picked up in my years of bartending.

This. Best trick ever to juice a lime.
Also, triple sec sucks. Use Cointreau instead. That help make up for the fact that you're not using mix. I haven't used mix in years. If you have someone who has to have more sweetness, you mix a little simple syrup like you would for lemonade. 1 cup sugar 1cup water boil.

StoopTroup
5/30/2010, 09:56 PM
Was out of Cointreau and Brandy. Used Gran Marnier tonight.

I Sometimes go with 3-4 shots of tequila with 1 shot Gran Marnier and one shot Brandy and will substitute the Gran Marnier with the Cointreau....

Whatever it takes to get there...

delhalew
5/30/2010, 10:20 PM
Was out of Cointreau and Brandy. Used Gran Marnier tonight.

I Sometimes go with 3-4 shots of tequila with 1 shot Gran Marnier and one shot Brandy and will substitute the Gran Marnier with the Cointreau....

Whatever it takes to get there...

:D Were there is a will, there is way.

Skysooner
5/30/2010, 10:59 PM
:D Were there is a will, there is way.

Where there is a will, there is a dead person.

tommieharris91
5/31/2010, 12:33 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_liCdTKSQP-E/ShcuytzUt1I/AAAAAAAAAYI/rROdxCNdUn8/s320/Limeade

YWIA. No HFCS, only 4 ingredients.

btk108
5/31/2010, 01:04 AM
i got yer high fructose right here :D

stoopified
5/31/2010, 10:10 AM
This thread is worthless w/o samples.

Dio
5/31/2010, 11:05 AM
this^^^^^

StoopTroup
5/31/2010, 11:22 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_liCdTKSQP-E/ShcuytzUt1I/AAAAAAAAAYI/rROdxCNdUn8/s320/Limeade

YWIA. No HFCS, only 4 ingredients.

SWEET!

Well...maybe tart. As I get older it's harder to squeeze those limes an easier to find time to drink. I'm planning ahead for retirement. :D

StoopTroup
5/31/2010, 11:24 AM
i got yer high fructose right here :D

Lick my limes Bitch! :D ;)

StoopTroup
5/31/2010, 11:25 AM
This thread is worthless w/o samples.

Not for me it wasn't....:D

SteelCitySooner
5/31/2010, 11:58 AM
I like adding grand mariner also, but my brother in law got me throwing in some a little orange juice in the mix as well. try it..

Preservation Parcels
5/31/2010, 02:02 PM
Microwave a lime or lemon for 15-30 seconds, and you'll squeeze out twice the amount of juice. It's faster and less of a workout than rolling and mashing them, especially if you're doing a bunch. It causes the walls of the little pockets of juice to soften. You can also soak them in a tub of warm water for a few minutes to clean and soften them.

This does a great job, too. I cut the ends off and then split it around the "equator" to extract the most juice.

http://www.amazon.com/Amco-Enameled-Aluminum-Lemon-Squeezer/dp/B0002V23BG

Real Lemonade or Limeade

5 large lemons or 6 large limes
1 cup sugar
1 gallon total, ice and water

Wash and thinly slice lemons or limes.
Layer fruit and sugar in crock or punchbowl. Sprinkle part of the sugar over each layer.
Allow to rest (macerate) for 1-4 hours. This will draw out the juice and oil from the fruit.

To serve, add one gallon total of ice and water to the fruit and sugar mixture. Stir well to dissolve all the sugar. Ladle into cups.

pilobolus
5/31/2010, 09:15 PM
Don't bother with a margarita mix; all you need is good tequila, the fresh lime juice you have and some Triple Sec.

Yes. Nothing else should even be referred to as a margarita.

btk108
6/2/2010, 11:24 AM
ST says yes to washing his limes in warm water and rolling them around....when are you available?

Sooner in Tampa
6/2/2010, 11:30 AM
Try adding Chambord to your margarita...:hot:

YWIA!

OUMallen
6/2/2010, 01:00 PM
COunt me in as a proponent of the Gran Marnier!

C&CDean
6/2/2010, 01:16 PM
I just don't get the whole margarita thing. Who the hell wants to do all that work for a bunch of sugary booze?

If I drink tequila, it's the way God intended. Tequila, maybe a dash of salt, and maybe a lime to bite on the first shot. After that, just tequila.

Momma like them so for her I just buy that Cuervo Gold at the liquor store that already has tequila and Grand Marnier in it. That way all I have to do is rub a lime around the glass, stick it in the salt, put a couple ice cubes in the glass, and pour.

Fraggle145
6/2/2010, 01:35 PM
This. Best trick ever to juice a lime.
Also, triple sec sucks. Use Cointreau instead. That help make up for the fact that you're not using mix. I haven't used mix in years. If you have someone who has to have more sweetness, you mix a little simple syrup like you would for lemonade. 1 cup sugar 1cup water boil.

This.

NormanPride
6/2/2010, 02:06 PM
Sugary? Man, you guys are doing it wrong if it's sweet. It should be tart.

The Remnant
6/2/2010, 02:23 PM
Best post on the board.

C&CDean
6/2/2010, 02:26 PM
Liquor should be liquory, not sweet/tart/bitter/etc.

Why **** up a perfectly good thing with a bunch of sugar/tart/coke and crap? To me, it's like getting a Prime steak and pouring ketchup or A-1 all over it. Gay.

NormanPride
6/2/2010, 03:23 PM
Who the hell puts seasoning on stuff? I mean, I take my meat straight from the cow. The kicking makes it taste better. And why wash off the potatoes before you eat them? Stick that kisser into the dirt and get some REAL vitamins!

;)