PDA

View Full Version : How many are we going to sign for 2011?

IronHorseSooner
5/30/2010, 09:21 AM
For the sake of argument, let's say that Barnett stays. We currently have 13. The big ones still left out there are Wallace, Turner, Petties, Dismuke, and Brown. The likelihood that we get are as follows:

1. Dismuke- I can't see an elite OL from OK not coming here, especially after OUr success putting OL in the NFL.
2. Wallace- We have a pipeline from Skyline happening. He is essentially a clone of his old teammate- Corey Nelson.
3. Petties- I just think that he and Dismuke will end up at the same place. We have also put a number of DBs & WRs in the league lately.
4. Turner- In the end, I don't think he leaves Big XII country, which would leave us, NU, and *. He'll be one that comes down to pretty close to signing day. Some kids are scared of competition, and we did have two large DB classes back-to-back. But, see, * did as well. I think it will be between us and NU.
5. Brown- As I have said before, there's only so much room at RB. We could have a situation much like DJ Wolfe and AD, where the #1 and #5 RBs come here, with some already established backs already on the roster. We would then have six talented RBs on the roster- AND NONE WOULD BE SENIORS!!!!

I am quite sure that I have left some other potential recruits off the list, and more die-hard recruitniks out there could probably name them. Also, we have only one OK kid on OUr commitment list so far, and his dad was also an OU QB. We need more OK kids here, and I think that Dismuke, Petties, and Turner would be great fits!

KiiDSooNER
5/30/2010, 10:37 AM
With the commitment of Franklin Shannon, I'm not to sure about Petties. I imagined that Petties would come and play OLB (Similar to Clayton/Ibiloye)

If I'm choosing 5 players who I'd want, I'd go with.

1. Brey Cook - OT
2. Anthony Wallace - LB
3. Dismuke or Phillips - OL
4. Turner or Jackson - CB
5. Shuler - WR/DB

Another guy would be Avery Walls (DB) who could be another option for us. Tevin Mitchel is another DB as well.

HillbillyRay
5/30/2010, 04:59 PM
i would love to see brey cook, turner, and brown but likely only 2 of the 3 end up in crimson

Collier11
5/31/2010, 08:25 AM
Weve got a nice little pipeline to Skyline going, should help with Wallace hopefully

IronHorseSooner
5/31/2010, 08:49 AM
I didn't put Cook on there because getting a kid from Springdale to leave Arky country is like trying to get a kid from Moore not to go to us. I just don't think it will happen. Also, they have put some OL in the NFL. I don't think as many as us, but they have put a few there.

KiiDSooNER
5/31/2010, 01:20 PM
Arkansas OL in NFL Right Now:
1. Nate Garner (Dolphins)
2. Jonathan Luigs (Bengals)
3. Jason Peters (Eagles)
4. Mitch Petrus (Giants)
5. Tony Ugoh (Colts)
6. Jose Valdez (Falcons)
7. Bobbie Williams (Bengals)

Oklahoma OL in NFL Right Now:
1. Jammal Brown (Saints)
2. Chris Chester (Ravens)
3. Jon Cooper (Vikings)
4. Davin Joesph (Bucs)
5. Phil Loadholt (Vikings)
6. Duke Robinson (Panthers)
7. Trent Williams (Redskins)

So yeah, we are tied with current offensive lineman in the NFL, but our guys are a lot more impactful than what Arky has produced. Hopefully Brey Cook sees that and wants to add to our list.

Herr Scholz
5/31/2010, 02:29 PM
2. Wallace- We have a pipeline from Skyline happening. He is essentially a clone of his old teammate- Corey Nelson.
Honestly I think he's Norman bound. UT is still recruiting him but we've got 3 LBs so far in this class and 3 in the last (although Kendall Thompson might end up at DE for us so who knows). Wallace is definitely a player you save a scholarship for no matter what though. He'd have 3 former teammates at OU but a couple on the Texas squad as well. Still, I think he's yours.

4. Turner- In the end, I don't think he leaves Big XII country, which would leave us, NU, and *. He'll be one that comes down to pretty close to signing day. Some kids are scared of competition, and we did have two large DB classes back-to-back. But, see, * did as well. I think it will be between us and NU.
Disagree with this one. I think UT is the slight leader here and will be in it until the end which might take a while (which is what I've read in a couple of spots). He'll be in Austin next weekend for our summer camp with all 20 of our commits so we'll see how he bonds with them. He knows he could come in and play for us right away. CB is the biggest need for us in this year's class, moreso than an elite RB. Some are saying we might take both him and Charles Jackson if they both want to come, even with limited numbers left.

5. Brown- As I have said before, there's only so much room at RB. We could have a situation much like DJ Wolfe and AD, where the #1 and #5 RBs come here, with some already established backs already on the roster. We would then have six talented RBs on the roster- AND NONE WOULD BE SENIORS!!!!

Texas fans are understandably antsy about this guy but we're being told by everyone just to be patient here. Wouldn't get your hopes up on this one. Think this one lives in an orange house already. You guys have plenty of talent at that position already for sure.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/1/2010, 02:14 PM
Brey Cook plans on announcing his decision later this month. I think we have a great shot at this kid.

http://oklahoma.scout.com/2/973512.html

soonerboy_odanorth
6/1/2010, 02:20 PM
5. Brown- As I have said before, there's only so much room at RB. We could have a situation much like DJ Wolfe and AD, where the #1 and #5 RBs come here, with some already established backs already on the roster.

...which deserves a call out on one of the guys that left for more pt elsewhere- Tashard Choice.

Tigeman
6/1/2010, 06:24 PM
scholz is pretty much dead on in his statement

Mad Dog Madsen
6/2/2010, 04:29 PM
So, what does everybody else think about Brey Cook? I say he commits to OU.

Herr Scholz
6/2/2010, 04:31 PM
scholz is pretty much dead on in his statement

I thank you. I enjoy following recruiting. It makes the depressing offseason a little better.

Collier11
6/2/2010, 04:43 PM
I enjoy following recruiting. It makes the depressing fact that im a horn fan a little better.

Fixed :D

Tigeman
6/2/2010, 09:19 PM
I thank you. I enjoy following recruiting. It makes the depressing offseason a little better.

It's kind of like Christmas for us adults when you land that big recruit! Even if some of us basically are kids! :D

misplacedsooner
6/3/2010, 01:08 AM
So, what does everybody else think about Brey Cook? I say he commits to OU.

i talked to a guy in memphis this weekend that was playing in a band on beale street and he told me of cook and to watch him end up in norman, said he was a family friend and here was where cook wanted to be.

IronHorseSooner
6/3/2010, 08:46 AM
i talked to a guy in memphis this weekend that was playing in a band on beale street and he told me of cook and to watch him end up in norman, said he was a family friend and here was where cook wanted to be.

That would be great! We, so far, have no OL, and if we could get him and Dismuukes, that would be awesome. Then, from reports, it looks like we will get him, and if so, that is a big coup pulling him from Arky's back yard.

Herr Scholz
6/3/2010, 01:10 PM
Fixed :D

Try being a Cubs fan. Brutal.

misplacedsooner
6/3/2010, 01:23 PM
Try being a Cubs fan. Brutal.

ha!!! try being a life long lions fan

Collier11
6/3/2010, 01:25 PM
oh man, youre a horn and a cubs fan, lol. That worked out great, OU and STL here :D

Herr Scholz
6/3/2010, 01:35 PM
oh man, youre a horn and a cubs fan, lol. That worked out great, OU and STL here :D

Yeah, thank God for VY. ;)

Mjcpr
6/3/2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, thank God for KY. ;)

Gross.

Collier11
6/3/2010, 01:46 PM
Yeah, thank God for VY. ;)

Thats what VY says everyday ;)

Eielson
6/5/2010, 04:35 PM
ha!!! try being a life long lions fan

Do those exist?

misplacedsooner
6/5/2010, 06:46 PM
haha, there are a few of us, not many ive run across here in oklahoma though.

IronHorseSooner
7/4/2010, 10:51 AM
Now with 18 (Bradley not counting), how many more? I bet we get either Brey Cook or Naff on the OL, Wallace at MLB, and maybe Petties.

Also, I have an OU v * recruit converter. With OUr player development, tradition, and with the overall type of kid that we tend to get, here's my take:

OU 3 star = * 4 star
OU 4 star = * 5 star
OU 5 stars are legends (GK, AD, Tommie)

As well, if I'm a big time OL, if I had a choice, why would you pick * over OU? We just put four out of five starters in the past couple of years in the NFL, not to mention All Pros like Jammal Brown and Davin Joseph, along with a guy like Chris Chester whose had a nice career with the Ravens. Outside of Leonard Davis, have any other recent * OL done anything in the league? Maybe I overlooked somebody.

Bottom line: Come here and prepare yourself for the NFL, and the sky's the limit. Go to *, and you can turn out like some of the guys recently on the NFL wrap sheet.

Herr Scholz
7/6/2010, 11:50 AM
As well, if I'm a big time OL, if I had a choice, why would you pick * over OU?
Because UT puts more OL in the league than OU? (9 vs. 7 currently - and that's not counting TEs or deep snappers but we have more of those as well.) And because we put more overall players into the NFL than any other school? (51 vs. your 40 currently)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/players?college=16

http://espn.go.com/nfl/players?college=26

Outside of Leonard Davis, have any other recent * OL done anything in the league? Maybe I overlooked somebody.
8 people to be exact since we have 9 active O linemen in the league.

fwsooner22
7/6/2010, 12:47 PM
Because UT puts more OL in the league than OU? (9 vs. 7 currently - and that's not counting TEs or deep snappers but we have more of those as well.) And because we put more overall players into the NFL than any other school? (51 vs. your 40 currently)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/players?college=16

http://espn.go.com/nfl/players?college=26

8 people to be exact since we have 9 active O linemen in the league.

How many would you consider to be successful ?

Herr Scholz
7/6/2010, 01:09 PM
How many would you consider to be successful ?

Successful? Being in the NFL is a success in my book but as far as starters go, 7 of our 9 (78%) are starters in the league and 1 of the backups is a rookie. 4 of your 7 are starters in comparison (57%). So we have more O linemen overall, more starters and a higher % of starters to the total numbers. I won't get into Pro Bowls and All Pro selections but we have more of those too.

Look, I was just showing it was silly to question a kid's decision to go to UT if he wants to go to the NFL because A) we have more active players in that league than any other school in the country and B) Mack's had more success recently with O linemen than Bob has. Both schools are top notch if you want to go to the NFL though, that's for sure.

UT:
Blalock, Justin Atlanta Falcons Guard - Starter
Davis, Leonard Dallas Cowboys Guard - Starter
Dockery, Derrick Washington Redskins Guard - Starter
Hills, Tony Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Tackle - Backup
Scott, Jonathan Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Tackle - Starter
Sendlein, Lyle Arizona Cardinals Center - Starter
Studdard, Kasey Houston Texans Guard - Starter
Tanner, Charlie New York Jets Guard - Rookie
Williams, Mike Washington Redskins Offensive Tackle - Starter

OU:
Brown, Jammal Washington Redskins Offensive Tackle - Starter
Chester, Chris Baltimore Ravens Center - Backup
Cooper, Jon Minnesota Vikings Center - Backup
Joseph, Davin Tampa Bay Buccaneers Guard - Starter
Loadholt, Phil Minnesota Vikings Offensive Tackle - Starter
Robinson, Duke Carolina Panthers Guard - Backup
Williams, Trent Washington Redskins Offensive Tackle - Starter

Eielson
7/6/2010, 01:59 PM
As well, if I'm a big time OL, if I had a choice, why would you pick * over OU?

I personally don't know why ANYBODY would want to go to Texas.

soonerguild
7/6/2010, 03:30 PM
Cook announces tonight gentlemen, fyi. Down to us and the piggies with most predicting he will stay instate.

KiiDSooNER
7/6/2010, 06:17 PM
And Arkansas he goes.

IronHorseSooner
7/6/2010, 06:51 PM
I hoped we would get him, but I doubted that we would, especially after we got Farniok and Dismukes. However, I bet we will get big kid (Naff?) out of OKC.

Curly Bill
7/6/2010, 10:29 PM
I'd never go to * either, but arguing our success versus * when it comes to OL was a non-starter.

Sorry, IronHorse.

CU Sooner
7/7/2010, 07:45 AM
Successful? Being in the NFL is a success in my book but as far as starters go, 7 of our 9 (78%) are starters in the league and 1 of the backups is a rookie. 4 of your 7 are starters in comparison (57%). So we have more O linemen overall, more starters and a higher % of starters to the total numbers. I won't get into Pro Bowls and All Pro selections but we have more of those too.

Look, I was just showing it was silly to question a kid's decision to go to UT if he wants to go to the NFL because A) we have more active players in that league than any other school in the country and B) Mack's had more success recently with O linemen than Bob has. Both schools are top notch if you want to go to the NFL though, that's for sure.

UT:
Blalock, Justin Atlanta Falcons Guard - Starter
Davis, Leonard Dallas Cowboys Guard - Starter
Dockery, Derrick Washington Redskins Guard - Starter
Hills, Tony Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Tackle - Backup
Scott, Jonathan Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Tackle - Starter
Sendlein, Lyle Arizona Cardinals Center - Starter
Studdard, Kasey Houston Texans Guard - Starter
Tanner, Charlie New York Jets Guard - Rookie
Williams, Mike Washington Redskins Offensive Tackle - Starter

OU:
Brown, Jammal Washington Redskins Offensive Tackle - Starter
Chester, Chris Baltimore Ravens Center - Backup
Cooper, Jon Minnesota Vikings Center - Backup
Joseph, Davin Tampa Bay Buccaneers Guard - Starter
Loadholt, Phil Minnesota Vikings Offensive Tackle - Starter
Robinson, Duke Carolina Panthers Guard - Backup
Williams, Trent Washington Redskins Offensive Tackle - Starter

I always knew Shanahan was pretty creative, but a 3 tackle set is breaking the mold.:D

HBick
7/7/2010, 11:51 AM
Would it make sense to OU to over sign if they are expecting to lose some juniors this year? Like Broyles or Alexander? Or would they have to declare for the draft first before they can offer those spots?

Herr Scholz
7/7/2010, 12:32 PM
I always knew Shanahan was pretty creative, but a 3 tackle set is breaking the mold.:D

Ha, missed that one. Trent Williams and Jammal Brown are the starting tackles and Derrick Dockery and Mike Williams are the starting guards. They just need a center and the whole line would be UT/OU.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/depth-chart/WAS/washington-redskins

IronHorseSooner
7/10/2010, 09:31 AM
I'd never go to * either, but arguing our success versus * when it comes to OL was a non-starter.

Sorry, IronHorse.

Hey, I'm a kicker by trade. Ask me to analyze those guys, and I'm a bit more comfortable.:D

It just seems that in the past couple years we had more success putting OL in the NFL. I guess that is not necessarily the case.

Curly Bill
7/10/2010, 04:26 PM
Hey, I'm a kicker by trade. Ask me to analyze those guys, and I'm a bit more comfortable.:D

Ok then, why haven't we been able to trot a decent kicker out there since Hartley left? ;)

IronHorseSooner
7/10/2010, 05:50 PM
Lack of priorities would be my guess. They got the wrong sort of kicker with Stevens. Just because you hit a bunch of FGs doesn't make you a great kicker. Look at percentages. He had a low percentage for an elite kicker. However, I do give them credit for Tress Way, but I want to see him as the kickoff guy. He has far too strong of a leg just to use on punts.

Curly Bill
7/10/2010, 09:33 PM
Lack of priorities would be my guess. They got the wrong sort of kicker with Stevens. Just because you hit a bunch of FGs doesn't make you a great kicker. Look at percentages. He had a low percentage for an elite kicker. However, I do give them credit for Tress Way, but I want to see him as the kickoff guy. He has far too strong of a leg just to use on punts.

Not making it a priority would be my guess as well.

I'm blaming both BV and KW for that. :D

IronHorseSooner
7/10/2010, 09:53 PM
Not making it a priority would be my guess as well.

I'm blaming both BV and KW for that. :D

Knew you would!:D Kicker is the most misunderstood position on the field, and 90% of that position is between the ears. A lot of even the best coaches don't understand what makes a good kicker. Height on the kicks is the best indicator of a good kicks. That's the problem with Stevens. He kicks a lot line-drives. They begged to be blocked.

I am interested to see what O'Hara, Easley, and Hunnicutt do. All of them have great height on their kicks. You can teach accuracy.

I will continue to say that Way needs to be the kickoff guy. Moreland is also a line-drive type kicker.

Herr Scholz
7/14/2010, 03:14 PM
Any idea how many you guys are taking this year? You've got 17 now with 36 offers outstanding (not counting Chris Barnett).

HBick
7/14/2010, 05:12 PM
Any idea how many you guys are taking this year? You've got 17 now with 36 offers outstanding (not counting Chris Barnett).

I was curious about this as well, see my post on page 2. I'm assuming 25? Maybe 26 or 27 if it's expected that Broyles and Frank Alexander leave? Frank is a bit of a reach right now, but if he has another great season wouldn't surprise me to see him make that jump. I'll be watching to see how the DE's perform this season with the departure of Gerald.

Herr Scholz
7/14/2010, 05:38 PM
That many? According to Rivals, you guys have taken 95 players in your past 4 classes. A lot of attrition? How many seniors are leaving after this season?

2010 - 29
2009 - 23
2008 - 22
2007 - 21
Total: 95

HBick
7/14/2010, 05:55 PM
That many? According to Rivals, you guys have taken 95 players in your past 4 classes. A lot of attrition? How many seniors are leaving after this season?

2010 - 29
2009 - 23
2008 - 22
2007 - 21
Total: 95

Don't forget 5th years from 06 who are still on the team. Attrition might be the wrong word, but I mean when you lose players who transfer (Jameel Owens for example), then career ending injuries (Cory Walker, Curtis "Big Cat" Bailey), early departures and of course the inevitable few are kicked off the team (Jarboe), it should should be closer to 85 than 95.

Herr Scholz
7/14/2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah, to me it always seems like it's a real stretch for us to make the 85 limit with the amount of players we take every year as well but somehow they always make it work. I think many of the transfers we hear about are really just trap doors and non renewed scholarships.