PDA

View Full Version : Young Man Starting New Life Gunned Down by Gun Criminal

yermom
5/28/2010, 02:26 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-2581-St-Louis-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m5d27-Elderly-Chicago-man-saves--family-self-with-illegal-handgun

"I just don't want to believe it's true," said his mother, Lenora Nelson, who said her son earned his GED while in custody and had just signed up for an online carpentry program. "He could fix almost anything," she said. Nelson was supposed to begin a job next week for a company that cleans out homes before they're remodeled, she said.

The last time she saw her son was Tuesday night, when they had his favorite meal -- steak burritos -- for dinner, she said. When he left around 9 p.m., he didn't tell her where he was going, she said.

Since being freed on parole, Nelson began working with an organization that helps former inmates find jobs once they're released from prison, his mother said.

he could have just called 911 :(

delhalew
5/28/2010, 02:35 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-2581-St-Louis-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m5d27-Elderly-Chicago-man-saves--family-self-with-illegal-handgun
he could have just called 911 :(
Pffft. Don't be naive.

"Git up ah git git da git down. 911 is a joke yo town".

Protect YOURSELF or die.

delhalew
5/28/2010, 02:39 PM
I think you linked the wrong article...

yermom
5/28/2010, 02:41 PM
ok, maybe there isn't enough there to sense my sarcasm :D

dude picked the wrong house to break into

i just hope the old codger gets his gun back

yeah, the quote was from a different article:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/05/would-be-burglar-shot-to-death-by-west-side-resident.html

MR2-Sooner86
5/28/2010, 02:43 PM
Funny I see a different article.

Early yesterday morning, an 80-year-old Korean War veteran in Chicago faced an armed home invader, whose first reaction upon seeing the homeowner was to fire two shots at him. Fortunately, both missed. Also fortunately, his was not the only gun on the scene.
An 80-year-old Army veteran shot and killed an armed man who’d broken in to the two-flat where he and his wife live in East Garfield Park early this morning and fired at him.
Other accounts of the incident reveal that the homowner's firearm was a handgun, possession of which in Chicago is--at least pending the Supreme Court's McDonald v. Chicago decision expected next month--illegal. This upstanding citizen, in other words--by all accounts well liked and respected by neighbors--is a "gun criminal."
What would have persuaded such a man to break the law with regard to Chicago's handgun ban--to think, in other words, that it's (to paraphrase) "better for the police to catch him with it than the robber to catch him without it"? A previous armed robbery:
A couple of months ago, the man — a Korean war veteran with three children and six grandkids — had been robbed at gunpoint at his home by three intruders, his son said. The robbers took $150, he said — and his father bought a gun and vowed never to be a victim again.
So where does this leave the man, legally speaking? Apparently, not in bad shape.
No charges are expected for a man in his 80s who fatally shot an alleged assailant during a home invasion Wednesday morning in the West Side Garfield Park neighborhood, police said.
Part of that is no doubt due to even Mayor Daley having the sense to avoid stepping into the politcal minefield of prosecuting an 80-year-old veteran who protected his life and family against an armed thug with a 13-page rap sheet. Another part is that Illinois has a law that protects violators of municipal gun laws, when the gun was used in self-defense at home.
Interestingly, when this law worked its way through the legislature in 2004, President Obama was an Illinios state senator (it was, in other words, before his election to the U.S. Senate). He voted against the bill, first when it came up for a vote in the state Senate, and again when there was a vote to reconcile the Senate's version with the amended House version. By the time of the vote to override then-Governor Blagojevich's (remember him?) veto, Obama had been elected to the U.S. Senate, but there's no reason to believe that he would have changed his vote, had he still been active in the state senate.
Still, legal issues aside, Chicago's handgun ban could cause problems for this good man and his family. His gun was almost certainly collected by the police as "evidence," and I would be willing to wager that he'll never get it back--the self-defense at home exemption from prosecution for violations of municipal gun laws says nothing about getting the "illegal" gun back. Does he have other guns? If not, can he quickly buy one on a fixed income (and then there's the wating period--three days for a handgun in Illinois)? Did the deceased have similarly unsavory friends who will want to "avenge" his death?
Oh--one more thing about the "illegal" gun. NYC Mayor Bloomberg's "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" group (of which Daley is, of course, a member, as is St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay) claims not to be anti-gun--just anti-"illegal" gun. Not anti-gun owner--just anti-"illegal" gun owner. You know--like this brave man who saved his life and his family.

delhalew
5/28/2010, 03:01 PM
Bloomberg is the most unbelievable bitch-assed punk in gub'ment. Which says a lot.

sooner_born_1960
5/28/2010, 03:08 PM
How does an "online carpentry program" work?

yermom
5/28/2010, 03:09 PM
you have to break into other people's houses and build stuff

Leroy Lizard
5/28/2010, 03:23 PM
Another part is that Illinois has a law that protects violators of municipal gun laws, when the gun was used in self-defense at home.

Interestingly, when this law worked its way through the legislature in 2004, President Obama was an Illinios state senator (it was, in other words, before his election to the U.S. Senate). He voted against the bill, first when it came up for a vote in the state Senate, and again when there was a vote to reconcile the Senate's version with the amended House version.

Another reason to oppose Obama.

yermom
5/28/2010, 03:25 PM
i don't know, that sounds a lot like amnesty for law breakers to me

why should we give in to people that want to break the law?

Leroy Lizard
5/28/2010, 03:43 PM
Sorry yermom, but you're not making any sense here.

yermom
5/28/2010, 03:50 PM
you don't mind people breaking laws you don't agree with, is all i'm saying

if we were talking about weed, there would be some circular logic about how it should be illegal because it's illegal or something

Leroy Lizard
5/28/2010, 03:55 PM
you don't mind people breaking laws you don't agree with, is all i'm saying

if we were talking about weed, there would be some circular logic about how it should be illegal because it's illegal or something

Except that gun ownership is constitutionally protected. And if you notice in my prior posts, I stressed the lack of a compelling reason to break drug laws as a reason to criticize those that do. But here a man was defending himself.

And I never said that weed should be illegal because it's illegal (an obvious tautology).

A nice effort, though.

sooner_born_1960
5/28/2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah. I think homey was the one to do that.

TUSooner
5/28/2010, 04:58 PM
tautology, that's the word I've been looking for lately. But now I dn't have anywhere to use it. :(

Leroy Lizard
5/28/2010, 05:23 PM
Use the word to use it.

soonerinkaty
5/28/2010, 05:37 PM
Pffft. Don't be nieve.

Protect YOURSELF or die.

Is that Nas?

yermom
5/28/2010, 05:44 PM
Chuck D

Leroy Lizard
5/28/2010, 05:46 PM
Sounds like a real poet.

47straight
5/28/2010, 06:16 PM
Mayor Daley thinks that if something happened overnight, you might change your mind.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/if-i-put-this-up-your-butt-youll-find-out-how-effective-it-is/

olevetonahill
5/28/2010, 06:49 PM
Sorry yermom, but you're not making any sense here.

Neither are you , dumas:rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
5/28/2010, 06:54 PM
Mayor Daley thinks that if something happened overnight, you might change your mind.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/if-i-put-this-up-your-butt-youll-find-out-how-effective-it-is/

Bizarre. WTF?

A reporter asked the obvious question: Given the numbers of shootings in the city, isn’t the handgun ban ineffective?

The question was more than fair. In Chicago, the only people who are confident in their 2nd Amendment rights to bear arms are the criminals, the cops and the politicians.

Law-abiding citizens can’t own handguns. They don’t have an army of bodyguards, as does Daley. Political hacks have guns. They get out the vote for his machine.

And the retired neighbor who’s never been arrested in his life? Oh, no. If he has a gun, it would be anarchy in the streets, according to Daley.

Confronted with a logical question, here’s what the mayor did: He picked up a rifle from the prop table of guns, raised it and began to babble.

“It’s been very effective,” said Daley of the handgun ban. “If I put this up your butt, you’ll find out how effective it is. Let me put a round up your, you know.”

The mayor of Chicago then went on to say if the justices were attacked by thugs with guns, they’d see things his way.

“Maybe they’ll see the light of day,” Daley said. “Maybe one of them will have an incident, and they’ll change their mind overnight, going to and from work.”

Leroy Lizard
5/28/2010, 06:56 PM
Neither are you , dumas:rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be easier if you just PM'ed me these messages? I mean, everyone has probably figured out by now that you don't like me.

olevetonahill
5/28/2010, 06:58 PM
Wouldn't it be easier if you just PM'ed me these messages? I mean, everyone has probably figured out by now that you don't like me.

Limptard , Ima just trying to make sure that everyone knows yer a dumas
hell you got a Semi lib dissing yer azz and you got a hard core Conservative on ya
Does that tell ya anything ? :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
5/28/2010, 07:04 PM
Limptard , Ima just trying to make sure that everyone knows yer a dumas

Yeah, you have only said it about a kajillion times in here. We get your message.

hell you got a Semi lib dissing yer azz and you got a hard core Conservative on ya
Does that tell ya anything ? :rolleyes:

Who's the hardcore conservative?

olevetonahill
5/28/2010, 07:12 PM
Another Olevet story ( yall can look it up on Atlanta TeeVee)
I believe it was 1981 that Morton Grove Ill. passed a Ban on the ownership of a Weapon inside their city.

Kennasaw Ga. Passed an Ordinance REQUIRING That every head of household own and Know how to use a fire arm:D

I were durnk one night in my office talking to the Lady who was running MY gunstore at the time , Marylin said something like Hell we ought to send em a gun, to help the peeps out. Im 1/2 way in this bottle of scotch and say Send it hell . I got a Brand new airplane lets just fly it top em

I get on the phone and call the Mayor Of Kennasaw ( Darvin Purdy, if any want to check)
Tell him what we planing he said Bring it. So it takes about 2 weeks to get every thing loose so we can head that way
By the time we are ready to leave , folks had Bought 5 Weapons and 3 cases of ammo, Plus there was something like 300 bucks donated to help with a training fund. Any way I call Darvin and say we on the way.

I were on Atlanta TeeVee Presenting em the weapons On be-halve of the Citizens Of Elk City Oklahoma

Any way 4 years later Kennasaws crime rate has dropped to almost ZERO while Morton Groves has skyrocketed
Best time I ever had was In Kennasaw that weekend :D

a few weeks later , Darvin Purdy the Mayor mailed a 45 record of the song ( Kennasaw get yer guns) i still have it

olevetonahill
5/28/2010, 07:13 PM
Yeah, you have only said it about a kajillion times in here. We get your message.

Who's the hardcore conservative?

Me :P :rolleyes: