PDA

View Full Version : Sampson's Name on the Rise...

the_ouskull
5/27/2010, 04:31 PM
It's Insider, so, uh... sorry...

But it says stuff like this:

He writes: "As the Cleveland Cavaliers sift potential coaching candidates, general manager Danny Ferry has made calls checking on Milwaukee Bucks assistant Kelvin Sampson, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

"For now, the Cavaliers' interest appears to be strictly in the fact-finding phase, but some league personnel believe it's just a matter of time until Sampson becomes a legitimate head coaching candidate in the NBA."

Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer confirms this report via Twitter: "Sources confirm Yahoo! report about Cavs' interest in Bucks asstistant coach Kelvin Sampson. In fact, I'm told he may be near top of list. Cavs' interest in Kelvin Sampson seems to be mostly if they miss out on bigger names they're after. But those big names are tough to get."

As we noted last week, K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune reported that the Bulls may also be looking at Sampson, though according to Gery Woelfel of the Journal Times, he's yet to be contacted by the team.

Wojnarowski adds this via Twitter: "The Clippers are also showing an interest in Bucks assistant Kelvin Sampson, sources tell Y! Sampson has relationship with Blake Griffin."

Add it all up, and Sampson seems likely to at least get an interview of two out of these openings. Whether he nabs a job, though, remains to be seen.

Too bad he couldn't coach a lick. :rolleyes:

the_ouskull

KingWKB
5/27/2010, 04:39 PM
I didn't think Taylor liked Sampson, so why would Blake?

yermom
5/27/2010, 04:40 PM
he can make all the calls he wants now

NormanPride
5/27/2010, 04:45 PM
Sigh... I wouldn't hate that. The guy gave us many good memories...

badger
5/27/2010, 04:47 PM
04 posted this on the general sports forum. he'll probably be over here shortly to scold you all for associating that guy with Sooner basketball again ;)

If not, here goes - finger of shame time!

(points at you all) SHAME! SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!!

;)

Mad Dog Madsen
5/27/2010, 04:54 PM
:pop:

StoopTroup
5/27/2010, 04:57 PM
Sampson was twice the Coach Capel is.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/27/2010, 05:00 PM
WTF? Nobody said that during the Elite Eight run just last freakin' year?!? Give the guy a break already...

yermom
5/27/2010, 05:22 PM
Kelvin didn't ever have a #1 overall pick either

:pop:

StoopTroup
5/27/2010, 05:57 PM
WTF? Nobody said that during the Elite Eight run just last freakin' year?!? Give the guy a break already...

Maybe not but I haven't been overjoyed with his system or his recruits.

Samspon had just as good of a start as Capel and still wasn't able to take us to the promised land. OU needs a National Championship in Basketball and we need to see some kids who are worthy of playing on the Court where Wayman played. The attitudes I'm seeing make me want to see the bench cleared and a new Coach hired.

Jeff is gonna get a break...he's got one year to turn this around or OU can send him packing for all I care.

oumartin
5/27/2010, 06:53 PM
Blah, Well maybe he will get one of those head coaching jobs. I don't think people didn't say he couldn't coach. I just know many didn't like his coaching style.

I don't miss him nor will I ever.

StoopTroup
5/27/2010, 08:02 PM
Blah, Well maybe he will get one of those head coaching jobs. I don't think people didn't say he couldn't coach. I just know many didn't like his coaching style.

I don't miss him nor will I ever.

I don't miss him either. It was his fault he stayed to long too.

He had plenty of opportunities to leave OU without leaving us in a mess.

Capel is talented...he though...is a Gary Gibbs...an interim Coach who replaced someone who almost sank OUr Ship (Nothing against The King, but he had a War going against the NCAA). I believe the next guy Castiglione hires will take OU to the next level. Tough spot for Jeff. He should use OU to better his career and not sink it into oblivion.

Leroy Lizard
5/27/2010, 08:15 PM
Sigh... I wouldn't hate that. The guy gave us many good memories...

Yeah, we're reminded of them constantly by our rivals.

Leroy Lizard
5/27/2010, 08:17 PM

I did after we lost.

Collier11
5/27/2010, 09:06 PM
Sampson had a bunch of thug recruits as well, Sampson got us in alot of trouble, Capel hasnt yet :eek: Right now, lets call it a draw

ndpruitt03
5/27/2010, 09:09 PM
Kelvin did what is equivalent to speeding with his violations. Capel basically ignored his staff doing things wrong. But Sampson didn't have near the talent Capel has had and won more. Capel still has a chance to turn things around. I hope the NCAA doesn't punish OU and gives him that chance. If we get serious punishment from the NCAA(post season ban, scholarship losses, etc) we may see Capel lose his job real soon.

Collier11
5/27/2010, 09:16 PM
You are dead wrong, Sampsons initial violations may not have been that bad but he did lie about it and continues to deny any wrong doing at OU and Indiana. He got us put on probation, that isnt a minor violation

Capel hasnt been proven wrong on anything yet other than recruiting some bad character guys, there is alot of evidence coming out now that nothing illegal even happened...we will see, I hope not

ndpruitt03
5/27/2010, 09:42 PM
I hope not also. It does look like Orande did have something to do with paying Gallon and maybe Warren but I don't think OU gets any violations. Hell the entire roster was gutted after last year. That is enough punishment.

Collier11
5/27/2010, 10:04 PM
If it is proven that Taliaferro was involved we could be in big trouble