PDA

View Full Version : Buying an old truck....

StoopTroup
5/26/2010, 04:47 PM
I need an old truck to pull a boat and found one in my price range.

I haven't bought an old vehicle and paid cash in a very long time and was just wondering if any of you had advise. I know what I'm looking for mechanically but when it comes to title and paperwork what should I remember to do?

I want to make sure it's a clean title without leans and if it is a salvage title or not.

Carfax is $34.99 and Auto Data Direct is $4.95 per report.

http://www.add123.com/multi-state

Have any of you used these or do any of you recommend using something different?

StoopTroup
5/26/2010, 05:26 PM
Come one now SoonerFans...I've had a lot of medication and somebody is driving me up to Wagoner in a bit to make a deal on that truck and I'm not thinking clearly...

HELP ME OUT!

:D

StoopTroup
5/26/2010, 05:27 PM
I had to Five Star it....now look what you've made me do. :D

GottaHavePride
5/26/2010, 05:51 PM
Sorry, ST. I've only ever bought one car, and it wasn't used.

Crucifax Autumn
5/26/2010, 05:51 PM
I don't know sh*t!

StoopTroup
5/26/2010, 05:55 PM
I'm gonna try using the $4.95 deal to make sure the title is clean and if the title is actually in his name...I think everything will be fine as long as he gives me a receipt for the sale.

Curly Bill
5/26/2010, 05:56 PM
Any I've ever bought were new from the dealer. I figured they knew what they was doing.

StoopTroup
5/26/2010, 06:00 PM
Any I've ever bought were new from the dealer. I figured they knew what they was doing.

That's kind of my dilemma. I found this one on Craigslist and hadn't done a deal on a car ever. We are meeting at the walmarts to workout a deal so I'm only worried about the Walmart Customers and a driveby thonging by some fat lady from the circus.

olevetonahill
5/26/2010, 07:52 PM
When buying a used car you can look at Carfax which may or maynot tell you every thing about the vehicle. the only time Carfax is worth it is if you are buying a car you suspect may have been in a flood or something. They will tell you about Insurance claims on it .

The Title is pretty simple
On the top right side of the title it will tell you what type of title the vehicle has Transfer /Salvage etc.

The Newer titles IE the last 3 to 4 years or so OK has set up a place on the front of the title for transferring it to a buyer. Make sure THEY sign it and Have it Notarized.

On a different note If yer SELLIN a vehicle make sure and detach the portion on the bottom that has the buyers and sellers info on it and mail it in to the OTC
this notify's the state that YOU are no longer the owner and may help clear you if the Buyer dont transfer it into their name and has a wreck and abandons the car.

If its an Original Title and there are No liens against it it should not have anything in the Lien section

It it says vehicle is subject to a lien
The owner should have a Lien release to give with the title
Good luck

StoopTroup
5/26/2010, 08:15 PM
I s/w the guy selling the truck. He bought the truck for his brother who had wrecked his own ride and needed a truck to drive for a month or so. This fella just needs to sell it now as he just wants to get his money back on it. He's done a couple of repairs he says...which make sense if you're seriously trying to sell a vehicle.

Anyway...he never changed the title over to his name. I told him I needed the title to at least be signed and notarized so it was an "Open title" otherwise I wasn't going to be able to make a deal with him. He says he'll get it notarized in the morning and we can hook up tomorrow about working a deal on it.

There is just no reason for me to drive out of my driveway unless it's at least an "Open Title" IMO.

olevetonahill
5/26/2010, 08:40 PM
An open Title is illegal , But a lot of folks do it no real biggie
Just put yer name in as buyer and yer done

StoopTroup
5/27/2010, 09:04 AM
Yeah...I'm not exactly thrilled doing it that way either but I'm not buying an old classical car or museum piece so I think it's just something you have to do when you're dealing with folks who don't sell cars everyday. If you're dealing with a dealer...that's different...they are supposed to follow the details.

Again Thanks Bro.

StoopTroup
5/28/2010, 11:25 AM
OK....lol

I went and looked at the old truck last night. Guy pulls up and the truck looks pretty nice but it is after sunset. I get in and he says he's charged the A/C up and it's much better than it was and for me...it might knock the sweat off a gnat's *** but it's probably gonna need me to go through it but still not a deal breaker. He got the title notarized and I got the person's Address that's on the title and the VIN. The previous owners address is in Tulsa near me actually. The mirror is gone off the driver's side and needs either the mirror glued back in or the assembly that holds it to the motor needs to be replaced...maybe the whole motor and assembly. The truck will start with a screwdriver and he doesn't have any keys to the truck...says that someone broke the key he had off when test driving it and he hasn't been able to get a new tumbler/assembly for that yet. The brakes are a little spongy but not a deal killer for me as I know how to work on them. The tires are great. The engine purrs but your can smell a bit of anti-freeze but we sat there for 20-30 minutes talking after driving it and it never got hot on the gauge or overheated. The knob for the heater/a/c fan is missing. One of the arms off the Captains chair is broke off. The Passenger side headlight has moisture in it and has an issue. The truck has 240,000 miles in it but supposedly has had the engine and trans rebuilt 10,000 miles ago. Could be. It's got diamond tread plates on the truckbed and a large bed tool box for storage but I didn't dare ask if he had the keys for that as I figured the answer would be "Uhhhhhh...."....lol. I'll stop there for a minute.

I was thinking of doing a title search and asking a Sheriff I know to run the VIN on it for me. We went by the owner address on the title last night and the house is "For Sale by Owner". We called this morning and left a message for them to call as we wanted to see if they knew anything about the truck. The title has that it was updated at 105,612 miles so that's like 135,000 miles ago. :eek:

I'm not so much takin aback by the price and all the little things I might have to do with the truck as I am with the title and the time that has transpired since the last owner had the title put in their name.

I'm gonna give the fella a nice thanks for letting me look at your truck and good luck.

Hillbilly enough for ya? :D

StoopTroup
5/28/2010, 12:42 PM
Guess why I'd never buy this truck....:D

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ctd/1763989666.html

Stitch Face
5/28/2010, 01:13 PM
Admit it, you're running for Senate

StoopTroup
5/28/2010, 01:16 PM
I'm gonna be putting out yard signs soon. :D

C&CDean
5/28/2010, 01:17 PM
Guess why I'd never buy this truck....:D

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ctd/1763989666.html

Because your wife already owns it?

StoopTroup
5/28/2010, 01:18 PM
Because your wife already owns it?

That kinda cut close to the bone....lol

StoopTroup
5/28/2010, 07:32 PM
Finally found one and I'm now the prOUd owner of a 1988 Chevy pickem up.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/43225ff4.jpg

olevetonahill
5/28/2010, 08:54 PM
So ya let her Bend ya over huh ?

StoopTroup
5/28/2010, 09:45 PM
Nope. Different seller/truck. Much smoother deal.