PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele has OU #1

Pages : [1] 2

Collier11
5/26/2010, 03:03 PM
Per Pat Forde, Phil Steeles Top 10

Phil's Top 10: 1. Oklahoma; 2. Ohio State; 3. Alabama; 4. TCU; 5. Nebraska; 6. Boise State; 7. Florida; 8. USC; 9. Miami; 10. Oregon.

I guess of all the mags, his is the most respected so if anyone was going to have us #1 atleast it is him, means a little more to me anyway

yankee
5/26/2010, 03:04 PM
zomg!!!!11one

stoops the eternal pimp
5/26/2010, 03:04 PM
and DM as the #1 AA runningback..mmmmm

Is PHILE's first name PEDO?

Collier11
5/26/2010, 03:07 PM
Damn you! :D

BillyBall
5/26/2010, 03:12 PM
Per Pat Forde, Phil Steeles Top 10

Phil's Top 10: 1. Oklahoma; 2. Ohio State; 3. Alabama; 4. TCU; 5. Nebraska; 6. Boise State; 7. Florida; 8. USC; 9. Miami; 10. Oregon.

I guess of all the mags, his is the most respected so if anyone was going to have us #1 atleast it is him, means a little more to me anyway

Did he reveal that on a chat or blog? Is there a link?

Collier11
5/26/2010, 03:12 PM
Forde and Maisel posted it on Twitter, they got early copies

Nebraskas #5, texas is #11, Zona #25

BillyBall
5/26/2010, 03:14 PM

texas is #11

Thanks, that's the only preseason mag I buy. It's great if you like to gamble...

NormanPride
5/26/2010, 03:20 PM
It's amazing the hype we're getting all of a sudden. I don't know if I like it, because this team has yet to prove anything on the field even considering last year. We have serious issues at DT and corner, and until the D shows up and shuts someone down, we don't have any right to a top 5 ranking, IMO.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 03:22 PM
well most ppl have us 8-11 I think, this is just one mag

goingoneight
5/26/2010, 03:24 PM
No one has any right to anything yet. We were preseason #3 a year ago. I think like 10th the year before that.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 03:25 PM
I think this team has alot of potential but we need to see it. I will know alot about this team after FSU, they are going to be a pretty good team this year

NormanPride
5/26/2010, 03:27 PM
Still, Steele has traditionally been good at predicting this stuff. I'm surprised he's so high on us despite the obvious holes we need to fill. No doubt, the offense will be much better, but the D lost a top 3 pick and both corners. That's not easy to replace...

Collier11
5/26/2010, 03:29 PM
I think he is counting on all the young guys being really good this year who were forced into action last year. If that is the case, we will be legit, if not, another average year

BillyBall
5/26/2010, 03:30 PM
No one has any right to anything yet. We were preseason #3 a year ago. I think like 10th the year before that.

In Phil Steele's magazine we were preseason #3 in 2008.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/26/2010, 03:35 PM

Nebraska #5 ahead of texas at 11?

Are you sure this list isn't from somebody else or was PS drinking OVJ when he made his list?

goingoneight
5/26/2010, 03:36 PM
Well, does Phil Steele do basketball magazines then? Cuz I may just fill out my bracket in July. ;)

Collier11
5/26/2010, 03:37 PM
Nebraska #5 ahead of texas at 11?

Are you sure this list isn't from somebody else or was PS drinking OVJ when he made his list?

Nope, thats the football mag and im in agreeance that ut isnt a preseason top 10 team

stoops the eternal pimp
5/26/2010, 03:53 PM
I dont understand why not...I sure at this point wouldnt put oklahoma in front and I sure wouldnt have nebraska up there

Herr Scholz
5/26/2010, 04:12 PM
Serious question, what potential weaknesses/question marks/depth issues do you guys see your team having this year besides at DT and CB? I know your DEs, LBs and Ss are pretty sick on D. The Sooner D is always salty. What about on offense? WRs besides Broyles? TE? The O line starters and depth? Do you think Landry blows up this year? What area will hurt the most if someone goes down? Thanks.

I'll be very interested to see the FSU and Cinci games. That will tell the story pretty early.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 04:13 PM
I agree that ut should be ahead of us for one reason and it isnt because I feel like their team this year is better cus I dont, I just cant put us ahead until we beat them again

Collier11
5/26/2010, 04:14 PM
Serious question, what potential weaknesses/question marks/depth issues do you guys see your team having this year besides at DT and CB? I know your DEs, LBs and Ss are pretty sick on D. The Sooner D is always salty. What about on offense? WRs besides Broyles? TE? The O line starters and depth? Do you think Landry blows up this year? Thanks.

I'll be very interested to see the FSU and Cinci games. That will tell the story pretty early.

Oline until proven differently which includes the running game, other than that id have to say CB.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/26/2010, 04:19 PM
I think everyone is gonna be surprised on how good the Texas offense is gonna be this year...

Herr Scholz
5/26/2010, 04:20 PM
What position would hurt the most if a starter goes down? Is your DT Adrian Taylor going to be back to form in time?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/26/2010, 04:21 PM
He should be ready to go...obviously quarterback is that position IMO....Really need the linebackers to stay healthy

Collier11
5/26/2010, 04:22 PM
If a starter goes down id say CB or Safety. Taylor is reportedly ahead of sched and will be back but that was a gruesome injury, who knows if he will be as good

Herr Scholz
5/26/2010, 04:23 PM
I think everyone is gonna be surprised on how good the Texas offense is gonna be this year...

We'll see how the new scheme works out with the running game. I know our O line is very fired up about getting to blow off the ball again. If worse comes to worse though, Gilbert did win 2 state titles at Lake Travis running the spread.

Herr Scholz
5/26/2010, 04:26 PM
Really need the linebackers to stay healthy
So you've got Lewis, Lewis and Wort as starters, right? Who's behind them? Box? I don't know the others.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/26/2010, 04:27 PM
We'll see how the new scheme works out with the running game. I know our O line is very fired up about getting to blow off the ball again. If worse comes to worse though, Gilbert did win 2 state titles at Lake Travis running the spread.

whats funny is the people thinking since texas is replacing lineman that they are dropping down to freshman and guys who hadnt seen the field..I'll say it again, the ut staff does a better job at getting non starters PT on offense and getting valuable snaps.....

The talent is there and the soft non conference gives them an opportunity to get a lot of snaps before real comp.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 04:29 PM
Franklin and Bird as well with Ibiloye playing a hybrid

stoops the eternal pimp
5/26/2010, 04:31 PM
Not much LB experience besides T Lewis..Ronnell played a lot in the sun bowl and a lot of ST through out the season, but as far the position, not a lot...Box has to stay healthy, but I'm always doubtful of that

Herr Scholz
5/26/2010, 04:31 PM
Franklin and Bird as well with Ibiloye playing a hybrid

Are those guys freshman?

Collier11
5/26/2010, 04:34 PM
Ibiloye got PT last year and had 15 tackles, all 3 are sophomores, the other 2 got PT on ST.

I dont usually worry about LB cus Venables always has a strong LB group

TopDawg
5/26/2010, 04:47 PM
What position would hurt the most if a starter goes down? Is your DT Adrian Taylor going to be back to form in time?

You seem a little too interested in the answer to this question. Can we see about getting a restraining order on Herr?

NormanPride
5/26/2010, 06:07 PM
OL should be fine. Towards the end of last year they did pretty well. WR we have Broyles and a field of extras, but they're all pretty good. Stills is a true frosh that lit **** up in the spring. Serious expectations for that kid this year.

Landry isn't going to be Sam, but he's very good and I think he can lead us to the promised land. He'll have more consistent weapons and a better OL to set behind which should improve his accuracy and decisionmaking. We'll actually have some TEs this year, which always helps our offense. Nobody like Gresham, but about as good as Finley was before him.

On D, the LBs are going to be good. Travis hates getting blocked, but he's good otherwise. Ronnell is a freak of nature and Venables is drooling over the kid, MLB it's between Box and Wort. Wort is fast as hell and hits like a truck, but he's inexperienced and we don't know if he's game-good. Box we know can lead the D to a MNC (2008). Ibiloye is the hybrid, though he may be pushed by a true frosh in Tony Jefferson. That kid reminds me of Ed Reed right now, but he's raw. I predict he starts by Texas and Muschamp cries in his post toasties next morning because of it. ;)

Corner, we've got Hurst and Fleming I think. Hurst played some against Texas and got a sack and a few PBUs, so I think he'll be fine. Fleming is fast? Uhh... concerned there until I see them in game. Safeties are sick. Carter is good to great, and Nelson averaged a pick a game when he started halfway through the season.

DEs are fine. We've got Beal and Alexander who are great. Washington was the top HS DE a couple years back and he was getting starting reps in the Spring game so he should be in the rotation. DT we have worries, but if Taylor and McFarland are both 100% we'll be fine. Taylor is awesome, and McFarland had some very good flashes as a true freshman (which McCoy didn't even do). Behind them are McGee and Chaisson who are both converted DEs. Not sure what to think there, but the coaches and players like them both.

I think, obviously, if we lose Murray our O goes in the crapper for a couple weeks as we figure things out. But we've got a ton of "talented" RBs behind him that should fill in nicely should the **** hit the fan.

Jacie
5/26/2010, 06:31 PM
You seem a little too interested in the answer to this question. Can we see about getting a restraining order on Herr?

You may have exposed the tip of the iceberg on this one. I believe the guy is a spy who every year feeds Mack the info on which Sooner to knock out of the RRS early to guarantee a sa*et victory . . .

ndpruitt03
5/26/2010, 06:35 PM
I think Texas loses way too much to be ahead of us. That's like saying We shoulda been rated higher than Texas after we lost Bradford even if we won that game. OU has a proven QB. 2 good WRs in Miller and Broyles and another good receiver in Murray. TEs haven't really been a big part of OU's offense outside Gresham for 2ish years and Trent Smith. And even with Trent Smith we used him less and less as his career went on it seemed.

We have one receiver capable of getting about 80 catches. That makes it so much easier for your other guys and we have a very accurate QB. Oh and look at Murray's receiving stats last year. He put up some good numbers there. Something like 16 yards a catch.

Our offense boils down to blocking in the end. And they did a solid job at the end of last year. They really dominated the Stanford game, and played well against OSU also.

Defense loses McCoy but if Adrian Taylor is healthy he could be a first round pick next year also. So replace a top 5 pick with another first rounder. Plus young guys like McFarland, McGee that played some last year. That Taylor injury did look bad and he may not be 100% in early on.

All the rest of the defense looks amazing. I really think we may have the best LBs in the country. Hurst showed a ton of promise last year and Nelson can play CB or safety. Q. Carter is one of the top safeties in the country.

There's so much talent on the team. The biggest 2 weaknesses I see are blocking/OL play and kicking. But as long as we have a kicker that can make PATs I'll be fine with whoever it is.

Soonermagik
5/26/2010, 06:36 PM
Serious question, what potential weaknesses/question marks/depth issues do you guys see your team having this year besides at DT and CB? I know your DEs, LBs and Ss are pretty sick on D. The Sooner D is always salty. What about on offense? WRs besides Broyles? TE? The O line starters and depth? Do you think Landry blows up this year? What area will hurt the most if someone goes down? Thanks.

Landry just has to protect the ball and they will be hard to stop. With the comibnation of Dejuan Miller and Ryan Broyles teams will have to respect the pass. This allows our RB's, primarily Murray to run loose.

I think the D will speak for itself.

Cinci will be the true test. OU has to prove they can beat good teams on the road.

Herr Scholz
5/26/2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the info. I've already forwarded it to Mack. Suckers.

yankee
5/26/2010, 07:01 PM
the LB hype worries me...everyone's pretty high on r. lewis and wort (as am i), but they're young and inexperienced. i think many people's expectations are a little too high at this point in time. i think we might see a dropoff in LB play (compared to last season) for the first half of the year as these guys get used to the speed of the game. we'll take our bumps and bruises, that's for sure.

Half a Hundred
5/26/2010, 07:33 PM
We just need Landry to be our Tee Martin this season.

oudavid1
5/26/2010, 07:51 PM

Wait, do you have a twitter?

gaylordfan1
5/26/2010, 07:58 PM
. Thats a grain of salt. Thats exactly what I am taking this info with.

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 08:47 PM
i don't know why anybody would have us 1 ...

unless they knew that the Oline would double in talent. A number 2 WR would come out.

for starters.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 09:22 PM
Dejuan proved he is a solid #2, its the oline that is the issue

Collier11
5/26/2010, 09:22 PM
the LB hype worries me...everyone's pretty high on r. lewis and wort (as am i), but they're young and inexperienced. i think many people's expectations are a little too high at this point in time. i think we might see a dropoff in LB play (compared to last season) for the first half of the year as these guys get used to the speed of the game. we'll take our bumps and bruises, that's for sure.

when has BV not had a really good LB group?

ndpruitt03
5/26/2010, 09:24 PM

Caleb was also really good early last year. DeJuan Miller was a lot better than anyone wants to believe for some reason.

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 09:24 PM

we still are very far from a Iggy-Manny-Gresham combo..... i know that's asking a lot. But that team still lost a couple games with a Heisman.

but somehow this Sooner team is ranked number 1? lol sorry. i can't buy it.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 09:25 PM
Broyles is better than either Iggy or Manny, Dejuan isnt that far off, neither is Caleb or Reynolds. We will be solid at WR

ndpruitt03
5/26/2010, 09:27 PM
we still are very far from a Iggy-Manny-Gresham combo..... i know that's asking a lot. But that team still lost a couple games with a Heisman.

but somehow this Sooner team is ranked number 1? lol sorry. i can't buy it.

Broyles is better than Iggy and Manny alone. Miller probably isn't as good as those 2 but he's not far off those 2 either. We may not have a TE like Gresham for a long time. The last time we had one as good as him was about 25 years ago.

JLEW1818
i hope. Still not sold on anybody outside of Broyles. We will see.

JLEW1818
Broyles is better than Iggy and Manny alone. Miller probably isn't as good as those 2 but he's not far off those 2 either. We may never have a TE like Gresham for a long time. The last time we had one as good as him was about 25 years ago.

so can you really look in the mirror and say this OU team. who didn't even finished ranked. should be number 1?

come on now.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 09:28 PM
I dont think so, Ive said that ut should be ahead of us til we beat them again, I do think this team has the potential to be really good if all the pieces that got major PT last year come together

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 09:31 PM
i mean it's a bold statement and somebody has to make it. If we run the table this guy looks great.

Curly Bill
5/26/2010, 09:35 PM
Still not sold on anybody outside of Broyles. We will see.

This^^^^

Anyone who says otherwise has been drinking too much Kool Aid, not to mention any names....

Collier11 :D

ndpruitt03
5/26/2010, 09:40 PM
so can you really look in the mirror and say this OU team. who didn't even finished ranked. should be number 1?

come on now.

The only team I really think should be number 1 is probably Ohio State. Nobody else is that far and above everyone.

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 09:43 PM
still gotta like Bama.

The have lost zero regular season games in the last 2 seasons. Return the entire offense.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 09:48 PM
This^^^^

Anyone who says otherwise has been drinking too much Kool Aid, not to mention any names....

Collier11 :D

In their 1st year of significant PT last yr, Miller had 434 yds receiving, Caleb had 408

Iggy had 517 and Manny had 378 in their 1st years

I hate to bring facts into your biased thought process ;)

Curly Bill
5/26/2010, 09:50 PM
In their 1st year of significant PT last yr, Miller had 434 yds receiving, Caleb had 408

Iggy had 517 and Manny had 378 in their 1st years

Supposing they progress as Iggy and Manny did you're on to something. To say that as of right now either is a solid #2 receiver is a real stretch.

434 and 408 yards is what, just over 30 yards a game? Thats some killer facts!!! :O

Collier11
5/26/2010, 09:52 PM
Broyles is a better #1 than Iggy was in 08

Miller and Caleb both are not that far off from being as good as Manny was in 08 as the #2, not better yet but not far off. Certainly not a stretch...

Curly Bill
5/26/2010, 09:53 PM
Broyles is a better #1 than Iggy was in 08

Miller and Caleb both are not that far off from being as good as Manny was in 08 as the #2, not better yet but not far off

No doubt Broyles is better than Iggy.

I haven't seen the consistency out of anyone else to think they can even spell #2 receiver, a little on be one. :D

ndpruitt03
5/26/2010, 10:03 PM
still gotta like Bama.

The have lost zero regular season games in the last 2 seasons. Return the entire offense.

They lose a lot of defense, which is what they were built on last year.

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 10:04 PM
I still take their D over any D in the West.

Their running attack will be insane.

Their offense scored how many points against Texas?? without a passing game. Their offense is the real deal.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 10:05 PM
Saban always has a good D, their Off will be better

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 10:06 PM
Alabama would destroy any team in the Big 12. Any.

Curly Bill
5/26/2010, 10:07 PM

Oh my! The crimson glasses wearing crowd is gonna have your a** for this!!! :eek:

Collier11
5/26/2010, 10:09 PM

I dont buy it, football isnt played on paper. Its all about matchups, I think on paper they are def better than any Big 12 team but I also think that several Big 12 teams, namely the top 3 all match up well with them

Collier11
5/26/2010, 10:10 PM
Specifically, I think any of the top 3's Defenses could match up with them well

goingoneight
5/26/2010, 10:31 PM

come on now.

It doesn't even matter really. It's preseason.

Secondly... check this out:

Name me five schools with a brighter look at QB.

Name me five schools with a better backfield.

Name me five schools with a comparable or more dangerous receiving corps.

Name me five schools with all of that, AND a top 5 coach.

Name me five schools as loaded or better on the D-line.

Name me five schools with the loaded LB corps we have.

That's a pretty sick list, I'd imagine if we stop thinking about BCS losses and fluke injury situations and realize this is only a preseason magazine top 25, OU's not a bad pick with said advantages. The OL can only be better. I don't buy Trent Williams and Brian Simmons as devastating losses. High-quality linemen with great experience? Yes. But there was a point in time when both of those guys were either out injured and/or playing other positions "filling in." We have a LONG way to go to get back to 2004 or 2007/8... but to suggest OUr OL, which only needs to find consistency on the road can't progress and direct the number of different weapons on offense.

If OU doesn't have two fast guys who can play corner, we'd have been screwed many times. Here we are, though.

Biggest needs:

We need an interior lineman to step up like Mack Brown needs Whitening toothpaste. Preferably more than one. While Stoops didn't gush over anyone, he said there was a "great showing by all parts on both lines of scrimmage" in more than just one recent interview.

QB: Landry Jones (gets better the further away from Lincoln 2009 he gets... before Sam, LJ's freshman season would have been considered a GREAT freshman campaign... in fact, his season is comparable to one Colt McCoy's)
RB: Two shifty seniors and a promising sophomore
TE: Ratterree and incoming Austin Haywood
FB: Brandon Crow and Marshall Musil
WR:Broyles, Miller, Reynolds, Stills, Caleb, Kenney

OL: Stephenson, Good, Habern, Evans, Brandon are your starters. Good news is the backups have plenty of starts and reps in themselves. We're not just a six-lineman team, either... we're getting a few guys out of redshirt, plus we stocked up on some quality HS guys. May take a few games to really get going, but should be a good group. Let's not forget that bad OL play isn't like a major glaring yearly issue with Stoops teams. 2009 was the exception, not the standard.

Outside rushers galore:
We need inside guys. A-Train... are you back? Like... really-REALLY back? Like, not afraid to go all out on that leg? Like... not a re-injury risk? McFarland? You ready to take it to the next level? Who's our backups should the shat hit the fan?

LB = loaded. I'll go ahead and say it. Austin Box is a competent, if not VERY GOOD MLB candidate, and Wort has him beat. That tells me that the buzz about this kid is for reals. And given the worst case scenario, many teams across the country would like Box's experience and ability as a "backup."

Safety has three to four guys who can play at a high level. Question is will the corners step it up, or are we loaning Jonathan Nelson out? Are we loaning Ibiloye to BV still or is he in the defensive backfield now?

I like a Nelson, Proctor, Carter, Hurst look... but it could just as easily be Hurst, Carter, Nelson, Fleming. That's just the experienced guys. You never know if we have a true freshman ready to go all Derrick Strait/Marcus Walker/Demontre Hurst and get in there in their first year.

goingoneight
5/26/2010, 10:36 PM
I dont buy it, football isnt played on paper. Its all about matchups, I think on paper they are def better than any Big 12 team but I also think that several Big 12 teams, namely the top 3 all match up well with them

One of the Big 12 teams had 'em pretty scared with a untested true freshman at QB for awhile.

Bama's a stout defensive and special teams monster... but I wouldn't say they're anymore "dominant" than Texas or us on any other year NOT 2009.

MR2-Sooner86
5/26/2010, 10:43 PM
Count me in as another who doesn't buy the #1 hype. If we destroy FSU, and I mean destroy, in every aspect of the game then I'll start to believe and if that continues for Cincinnati and Texas then I'll shout if from the hills this team is #1.

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 10:44 PM
Bama let off the gas. Everybody who watched the game saw that. That freshman for Texas threw all his passes to a wr who is no longer there.

Oh and this great running back group we have has been
a ghost against Texas the last two seasons. I think we had like -18 rush yards last year.

Landry, great stats. But somehow the sec has won the last 4 titles without great qb play in 3 of them.

We finished unranked for a reason. To really think we should be ranked 1 in the nation is insane and funny. Like I think it's almost suicide terrorist logic.

I bought into this last year. Not this year until I see results.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 10:45 PM
ut also didnt have Mccoy, made a huge diff. Bama isnt some world beater like 01 Miami, there wasnt a truly great team last yr

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 10:50 PM
Well they beat texas. Florida beat us the year before.
Its not even close. We can play all the ifs and buts.

The sec has won the last 4 titles.

ndpruitt03
5/26/2010, 10:53 PM
I still take their D over any D in the West.

Their running attack will be insane.

Their offense scored how many points against Texas?? without a passing game. Their offense is the real deal.

I know their defense were responsible for about 3 turnovers that led to TDs. Maybe more than that. Outside of Ingram their offense didn't do a lot in that game.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 10:54 PM
No, you said Bama would destroy any Big 12 team and it just isnt true.

If we could hold a block on the goal line or our WR could hold onto the ball we mightve beaten Florida, even with that we were still in a close game to the wire.

Tex lost their starting QB or who knows what wouldve happened, even with that they were within a score late in the game

JLEW1818
Going bed. Be back around lunch.

But for any human to think we are the number 1 team in the nation at this point.. Needs to be shot in the face... That's all.

Eielson
I think we'll be good, but I don't see this as a national championship team. Alabama definitely deserves to be #1. There aren't too many national championship-caliber players we have on this team. Beal and Broyles are about our only true, proven studs. For a championship, we'd need Murray to be that 1,900 yard back Stoops was talking about, Landry to get better, a second WR to step up, our O-line to come together, and a few more guys to fill in on D. That's a lot to ask for.

Curly Bill
5/26/2010, 10:55 PM
Well they beat texas. Florida beat us the year before.
Its not even close. We can play all the ifs and buts.

The sec has won the last 4 titles.

All in all the SEC teams play better defense than the Big 12 teams do, or anyone else does for that matter. I think the term is overused, but there is some truth to the ol defense wins championships mantra.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 10:55 PM
Going bed. Be back around lunch.

But for any human to think we are the number 1 team in the nation at this point.. Needs to be shot in the face... That's all.

wasnt the argument

Collier11
5/26/2010, 10:56 PM
All in all the SEC teams play better defense than the Big 12 teams do, or anyone else does for that matter. I think the term is overused, but there is some truth to the ol defense wins championships mantra.

Last season the Big 12 had 3 top 10 D's, the SEC had 2

ndpruitt03
5/26/2010, 10:58 PM
I hate Texas, and it was great for OU when Texas got their butts beat. But if Texas had McCoy healthy all game they win that game by 2 or 3 TDs because they were moving the ball all on Alabama. And Bama wasn't really doing that much on offense. In fact they had a QB that couldn't throw the ball AT ALL! Anyone that watched the first quarter with Colt McCoy KNOWS that Texas was the better team. They were about to go in for TD to make it 10-0 or something like that.

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 10:58 PM
I know their defense were responsible for about 3 turnovers that led to TDs. Maybe more than that. Outside of Ingram their offense didn't do a lot in that game.

yah their other running back didn't have very many rushing yards.... :rolleyes:

Collier11
5/26/2010, 10:59 PM
They werent 3 tds better than Bama with Mccoy but it certainly wouldve gone down to the wire at worst

Curly Bill
Last season the Big 12 had 3 top 10 D's, the SEC had 2

So....

JLEW1818
No, you said Bama would destroy any Big 12 team and it just isnt true.

If we could hold a block on the goal line or our WR could hold onto the ball we mightve beaten Florida, even with that we were still in a close game to the wire.

Tex lost their starting QB or who knows what wouldve happened, even with that they were within a score late in the game

if if if if if if

why does it seem the SEC never needs an IF the last 4 years? because they are BETTER.

ndpruitt03
Alabama's QB was like 5-7 for 10 yards or something like that.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 11:00 PM
AND....

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 11:00 PM
Alabama's QB was like 5-7 for 10 yards or something like that.

and what was the final score? they scored how many points without a qb?

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 11:01 PM
I hate Texas, and it was great for OU when Texas got their butts beat. But if Texas had McCoy healthy all game they win that game by 2 or 3 TDs because they were moving the ball all on Alabama. And Bama wasn't really doing that much on offense. In fact they had a QB that couldn't throw the ball AT ALL! Anyone that watched the first quarter with Colt McCoy KNOWS that Texas was the better team. They were about to go in for TD to make it 10-0 or something like that.

i still disagree. i promise to jesus and his mother mary that Alabama still would have won.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 11:02 PM
if if if if if if

why does it seem the SEC never needs an IF the last 4 years? because they are BETTER.

You are changing the argument, you said Bama would destroy any Big 12 team and its not true. And its not dealing with ifs, its facts. We both know that if we hold that block and if we dont tip the ball up on the goalline OU probably wins. We blew it, it happens, OU blows it all the time in BCS games. :D

Regardless, the SEC teams made the plays and won the games but neither of the last two were that much better than any Big 12 team, nor is this year

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 11:03 PM
yes Bama, 2010 Bama will destroy any big 12 team that gets in their way.. write this down, save it to desktop. if bama is healthy, its over .

"Bama lost some D Players"

haha.

OU lost major players. As did texas.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 11:03 PM
i still disagree. i promise to jesus and his mother mary that Alabama still would have won.

texas was about to go up 10-0 and Bama hadnt done jack on Off til Mccoy got hurt. It woulda been a great game

Collier11
5/26/2010, 11:04 PM
yes Bama, 2010 Bama will destroy any big 12 team that gets in their way.. write this down, save it to desktop. if bama is healthy, its over .

Not true and there is no way you can think its true. Bama couldnt even destroy Tenn last year. This Bama team isnt a great team, they are a really good team but they are beatable

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 11:04 PM
its funny how bama lost most of their oline coming into last season. and it was never a problem. I'm just saying. W/e the hell saban is doing, is the way to do things.

Our oline was horrible..

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 11:06 PM
that is SEC football. have you not been watching the last few years?? sure there are close wins. Florida lost to Ole Miss at home. And won national title against the best offense in history.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 11:08 PM
Still havent done a thing to prove your theory that they will destroy any Big 12 team. Better, so far it has been proven true, a lot better, not accurate at all.

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 11:13 PM
haha. i guess. if u wanna look at what teams lost. Bama at least has an entire offense coming back. have to rebuild a D, who has the best coach to ever coach a BCS team.

OU and Texas both lost important players on both sides.

i just can't find the crack out there to put us number 1. but it sure would be cool if we ended up number 1.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 11:14 PM
Again, this isnt about OU being #1, this is about you saying that Bama would destroy any Big 12 team and that is false

Salt City Sooner
5/26/2010, 11:17 PM
texas was about to go up 10-0 and Bama hadnt done jack on Off til Mccoy got hurt. It woulda been a great game
McCoy went out on UT's first possesion (5th play) of the game.

Collier11
5/26/2010, 11:18 PM
Texas was driving when Mccoy got hurt, had to settle for a FG. They got a 2nd FG off of a TO I believe, cant remember. Made it 6-0, woulda been 10-0. Makes a huge diff

unbiasedtruth
5/26/2010, 11:39 PM
37-21 is the score written in the books..... anything else is pure speculation....

itsok
5/26/2010, 11:57 PM
Alabama is the team to beat this year, if OU plays to its potential, we can play them...they might beat us, we might beat them...let the games begin!!!

Salt City Sooner
5/27/2010, 12:38 AM
The TO happened on Bama's first possession when Saban tried to get cute & use a fake punt & got it picked inside the Bama 40 (Gideon actually pulled a brain fart on it because by picking it instead of just knocking it down he cost UT 15-20 yards). Colt got hurt on a run just outside the Bama 10, but UT still had a 1st & goal at the Bama 1 w/o him. They couldn't punch it in though & took the 3. They recovered an onside kick on the ensuing KO, which got them another FG.

oudavid1
5/27/2010, 12:40 AM
I say lets line up and play em boys. Thats the beauty of this game, you have to play in order to win.

Collier11
5/27/2010, 12:55 AM
True, I wouldnt mind

Soonermagik
5/27/2010, 07:22 AM
that is SEC football. have you not been watching the last few years?? sure there are close wins. Florida lost to Ole Miss at home. And won national title against the best offense in history.

Every time OU was on the goal line they decided to run the ball on Florida. Wilson was stupid to think Chris Brown was going to run through Florida's front 7. Their pass D was suspect.. and that's where we lit them up.

Why they went away from throwing to Gresham and our receivers in the red zone I will never know. They could have been up on Florida by 14 points real quick and that would have ended the game.

SEC = Big 12. It's all the same. Sure LSU got lucky and barely beat OU. OU didn't throw on Florida enough and Texas lost their starting QB and still had a chance to win. I've seen enough games between the two to know they are equally talented. A lot of these games boiled down to injury or coaching differences. The talent on the field was equal. The SEC reign will stop. Conferences go up and down all the time.

IronHorseSooner
5/27/2010, 07:56 AM
Back to the original topic. Here are two mags- Athlons and Phil Steele- who have us in the Top 5. Last year, almost right after the BCS Title game, when asked, Herbie had us at #3. I agree, we have some questions, but even the folks who are considered "sure fire" by some to have great years ('Bama, tOSU, and BSU), have questions. The lowest that I have seen us so far is about #12. With that much of a range, what that means is that we are very intriguing pick. I agree, about a month into the season, we will know just where we stand (as will 'Bama and BSU). We won't carp about * or tOSU, because their early schedules are Charmin-soft. If we and 'Bama both go 13-0 or even 12-1, we will play for a title.

Also, think of this, outside of the * game, which would be a toss-up, who wouldn't we be a favorite against? This is also from where I think Steele is coming. We should be heavy faves against USU, ISU, CU, and Baylor. We should be moderate-to-heavy faves against USAFA, Tech, and OSU. We should about 7 point faves against Cincy, Mizzou, A&M, and FSU. If we come into conference play undefeated, we should be favored against *.

Again, remember where Steele's logic comes. Not many other teams out there can say that about their above schedules. 'Bama (at Arky early and FLA), BSU (@ VA Tech- it's neutral, but DC is VA Tech country), and tOSU (@ Iowa) , can't really even say that. It's shocking to see us there, but by that logic, it does make some sense.

JLEW1818
5/27/2010, 08:50 AM
The SEC winning the last 4 titles is not luck.

i guess u could claim 07 lsu got in with question. but there is question every year.

NormanPride
5/27/2010, 09:25 AM
Typical Football forum thread:

1. noob/normal person posts some article or info
2. People talk about it
3. jlew starts drinking
4. baj posts pictures
5. jlew drunkenly posts something ridiculous
6. collier calls him on it
7. lolslapfest
8. STEP comes in and says something gay
9. jlew hides in the closet while collier takes the bait
10. other posters get scared and leave
11. win thread is win

:D

JLEW1818
5/27/2010, 09:32 AM

2. People talk about it
3. jlew starts drinking
4. baj posts pictures
7. lolslapfest
11. win thread is win

:D LOL!!!! THAT IS THE POST OF THE YEAR

The_Red_Patriot
5/27/2010, 09:43 AM
How does anyone rank us #1?

We should start out from 15-20 IMO. We are young, unproven and look at last year.

It would be cool if he is right but there is no way.

Way to many question marks going into the season.

Hopefully we will look at my post come January and laugh and call me a loser.

hell....you can even post a thousand of these.

http://myweb.cableone.net/ric/graphics/your_a_fag.jpg

But it won't happen. We will drop two games this year.

NormanPride
5/27/2010, 09:47 AM
If we win it all this year, pg can swayzebomb the board for a day. :D

TexasLidig8r
5/27/2010, 10:01 AM

2. People talk about it
3. jlew starts drinking
4. baj posts pictures
7. lolslapfest
9a. Lid tries to decide if he should stir things up or just let the hillbillies self implode.
11. win thread is win

With addendum.

MiccoMacey
5/27/2010, 10:02 AM
Also, think of this, outside of the * game, which would be a toss-up, who wouldn't we be a favorite against? This is also from where I think Steele is coming. We should be heavy faves against USU, ISU, CU, and Baylor. We should be moderate-to-heavy faves against USAFA, Tech, and OSU. We should about 7 point faves against Cincy, Mizzou, A&M, and FSU. If we come into conference play undefeated, we should be favored against *.

Again, remember where Steele's logic comes. Not many other teams out there can say that about their above schedules. 'Bama (at Arky early and FLA), BSU (@ VA Tech- it's neutral, but DC is VA Tech country), and tOSU (@ Iowa) , can't really even say that. It's shocking to see us there, but by that logic, it does make some sense.

Exacry.

Phil Steele even says in his magazine that his number one team is not necessarily the best team. It's the team that has the most potential to be crowned champion (read: undefeated with enough of a strength of schedule to impress voters over other possible undefeated teams).

So he's not saying OU is the best team...just that OU has the best chance of winning it all.

MiccoMacey
5/27/2010, 10:04 AM
We should about 7 point faves against Cincy, Mizzou, A&M, and FSU. If we come into conference play undefeated, we should be favored against *.

Disagree about Cincinnati...we'll be more than 7 point favorites. They lose too much to be credible (even at home).

And I don't think we'll be favored by 7 against FSU. They scare me more than any other team (sorry Lid and Herr).

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 10:16 AM

2. People talk about it
3. jlew starts drinking
4. baj posts pictures
5. jlew drunkenly posts the truth
6. collier turns into mike gundy
7. lolslapfest
8. STEP comes in and says something logical because he understands reality
9. jlew hides in a closet while collier comes out of his
11. win thread is win

THE TRUTH..ITS SETS YOU FREE!!:D :D :D :eek: :D :eek: :D

IronHorseSooner
5/27/2010, 10:25 AM
Disagree about Cincinnati...we'll be more than 7 point favorites. They lose too much to be credible (even at home).

And I don't think we'll be favored by 7 against FSU. They scare me more than any other team (sorry Lid and Herr).

I could buy that, but I need to see us play well on the road against a team with some recent success (Cincy). Down here in FLA, most FSU fans that I run into don't know why we are scared of them (much the same way that A&M fans find OUr concern for them puzzling). They are scared carpless to come play us in Norman that early. Using Steele's logic, OUr home-field advantage is more than the average team. Even if we and FSU were considered dead-even, which is favorable to them, at best, we would still be around a 7 point fave. Good point, though! FSU does have some talent and an experienced QB, but they have been a middle-of-the-pack ACC team, who is incredibly erratic. Now, that was under Bobbah, but Fisher was a big part of that staff.

Collier11
5/27/2010, 10:32 AM

2. People talk about it
3. jlew starts drinking
4. baj posts pictures
7. lolslapfest
11. win thread is win

:D LOL!!!! THAT IS THE POST OF THE YEAR

THE TRUTH..ITS SETS YOU FREE!!:D :D :D :eek: :D :eek: :D

NP just knocked it out of the park!

oudavid1
5/27/2010, 10:34 AM
Who cares if destroy FSU or Cincy, lets focus on Utah State and posting a 70-0 shut out with no field goals, no turnovers and then go from there. Remember this, we destroyed everyone (except texas) in 2008 and we still couldn't play defense in the game that mattered. I learned two things, defense wins championships (already knew that) and pass interference on a big hit in the 1st quarter (major wright v Manny Johnson) gets everyone pumped up and wont be called. Its time to lock up the endzones like we did in 2000.

Eielson
5/27/2010, 10:45 AM
If defense won championships, Nebraska wouldn't have lost 4 games, and we wouldn't have lost 5 games. It's about the whole team.

Collier11
5/27/2010, 10:48 AM
A great defense can keep you in any game, your offense still has to score though

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 10:50 AM
that Nebraska offense is one of the worst I've seen in years...I don't understand anyone having them top 10

oudavid1
5/27/2010, 10:50 AM
If defense won championships, Nebraska wouldn't have lost 4 games, and we wouldn't have lost 5 games. It's about the whole team.

Defense is still the most important. and nebish lost because they only had one big defense threat, no one talked about there corners or linebackers.

IronHorseSooner
5/27/2010, 10:57 AM
that Nebraska offense is one of the worst I've seen in years...I don't understand anyone having them top 10

And most, if not all, of their fans would agree with you!

Eielson
5/27/2010, 10:58 AM
Defense is still the most important. and nebish lost because they only had one big defense threat, no one talked about there corners or linebackers.

Are you really going to say that Nebraska could've won it all last year if they had a better defense? It was undeniably their offense that held them back.

oudavid1
5/27/2010, 11:05 AM
Are you really going to say that Nebraska could've won it all last year if they had a better defense? It was undeniably their offense that held them back.

If the other team doesn't score, they cant win. And no, i did not say
Nebraska could've won it all last year if they had a better defense. I said
"Defense wins championships" -Bear Bryant also said this (Who won 6 titles at Bama)

NormanPride
Their game plan against us was to run the ball up the middle and pray we screwed up. We did. Our gameplan was to run the ball up the middle and take as few chances and pray that we could hit enough FGs to beat them. We took enough shots, but did not hit enough. I loved watching that game, but I hated losing.

oudavid1
A great defense can keep you in any game, your offense still has to score though

Agreed.

oudavid1
5/27/2010, 11:06 AM
Their game plan against us was to run the ball up the middle and pray we screwed up. We did. Our gameplan was to run the ball up the middle and take as few chances and pray that we could hit enough FGs to beat them. We took enough shots, but did not hit enough. I loved watching that game, but I hated losing.

Wow, i never thought of that game that way. Great way to put it. I feel the exact same way.

Eielson
5/27/2010, 11:16 AM
-Bear Bryant also said this (Who won 6 titles at Bama)

Stoops said it's more about the whole team. You have to do more than quote a famous guy to validate your point. Sure, you can't lose if the other team doesn't score, but you can't win if you don't score. That's nonsense anyway, when is the last time a defense went a whole season without allowing a point?

Nebraska and Oklahoma had top 5 defenses, but they combined to lose 9 games. You have to be able to play on both sides of the ball.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 11:18 AM

I looked at it as 2 very inept offenses...I've seen defensive football games and games where it looked defensive because both offenses sucked...That one falls in the category of the latter..

obviously good defenses played but most of the big errors in that game were unforced

oudavid1
5/27/2010, 11:18 AM
Nebraska and Oklahoma had top 5 defenses, but they combined to lose 9 games. You have to be able to play on both sides of the ball.

I agree. My point was that defense is more important than any other area. Not important just by itself. But your defiantly right. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 11:23 AM

uhm..they had a darn good lb group and a db group believe..they were solid all the way around on D..had a lb and safety both taken in the NFL draft off that team...

They lost because they couldnt score TDs

oudavid1
5/27/2010, 11:25 AM
uhm..they had a darn good lb group and a db group believe..they were solid all the way around on D..had a lb and safety both taken in the NFL draft off that team...

They lost because they couldnt score TDs

Well i couldnt name them, i only remember o'hanlin

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 11:30 AM
7 of the starters are coming back...3 of the 4 departures were NFL draft picks(Suh, Dillard, Asante)

They had good players at every position

NormanPride
5/27/2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah, but losing three draft picks is never easy to replace. We lose GK and our corners and it's going to be tough. Their D was heavily relying on Suh's incredible presence in the middle. I don't think you can accurately predict their D because of that. Just like you can't predict ours, even though I'd bet our depth is better in both positions than theirs.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah, but losing three draft picks is never easy to replace. We lose GK and our corners and it's going to be tough. Their D was heavily relying on Suh's incredible presence in the middle. I don't think you can accurately predict their D because of that. Just like you can't predict ours, even though I'd bet our depth is better in both positions than theirs.

Im not saying they will be as great of a D this year, Im saying they were definitely more than a one man threat last year...there was other quality talent on that D

BoulderSooner79
5/27/2010, 12:11 PM
Does any coach really deserve $4M/year? Well, if Stoops can guide the '10 team to #1 he'll earn it. He'll have to take a team that lost 5 games and was unranked in most polls with similar question marks (Oline, WR) and move them all the way up the ladder. Oh, and he lost 5 or 6 guys to the NFL and 2 of them in the 1st round (just counting the guys that played last year).

But jlew - shot in the face? Wouldn't just a splash of cold water be enough in this case?

NP, yes you nailed it on this thread :)

Collier11
5/27/2010, 12:21 PM
Does any coach really deserve $4M/year?

Go look at the money that Stoops and Mack bring into OU and ut and then ask that question.

Eielson
5/27/2010, 12:26 PM
Nebraska should be pretty good at DT with Crick and Steinkuhler. Maybe not as good as last year, but still pretty darn good. I know that's not really what was being discussed, but I'm just pointing that out.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 01:06 PM

Yet it was enough to not only beat OU, but come 1 second away from winning the Big12 CG.

It was also enough to beat a Top25 team by 33 points in the Holiday Bowl. Ranking OU #1 is far more off-the-wall than ranking NU in the Top10.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 01:07 PM

The strength of Nebraska's defense was it's secondary. Of course, Suh was the best player, just as McCoy was OU's, and Suh and McCoy got most of the attention for both defenses.

But NU's secondary was its strongest unit on the defensive side of the ball.

CincySooner
5/27/2010, 01:15 PM
just remember that Phil Steele has only correctly predicted the National Champion once in the last 10 years (Florida '08)

his prestige comes from getting the most correct out of the top 25.

JLEW1818
5/27/2010, 01:16 PM
The strength of Nebraska's defense was it's secondary. Of course, Suh was the best player, just as McCoy was OU's, and Suh and McCoy got most of the attention for both defenses.

[QUOTE]But NU's secondary was its strongest unit on the defensive side of the ball.

Because the Dline was amazing. Secondary had a lot to work with.

Flagstaffsooner
5/27/2010, 01:17 PM
Did you guys see this.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/12843/whats-up-with-ou-at-no-1

westbrooke
5/27/2010, 01:21 PM
Did you guys see this.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/12843/whats-up-with-ou-at-no-1

Ubben is right. Steele bet the house on our offensive line.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 01:29 PM
Because the Dline was amazing. Secondary had a lot to work with.

The DL was no doubt strong, but I watched nearly every Husker game at least once. I saw just as many coverage sacks as I saw sacks that would be contributed to the DL solely getting push or a speed rush.

The secondary was amazing, and had a knack for coming up with huge plays all season long.

westbrooke
5/27/2010, 01:31 PM
As much as we're counting on Adrian Taylor to come back strong and anchor our d-line, Nebraska will be counting on Crick to maintain his performance now that Suh is gone. That's still where the media focus will be.

NatureBoy's point about the secondary deserves some notice though; their safeties may be gone, but Amukamara is a legit badass.

NormanPride
5/27/2010, 01:44 PM
The DL was no doubt strong, but I watched nearly every Husker game at least once. I saw just as many coverage sacks as I saw sacks that would be contributed to the DL solely getting push or a speed rush.

The secondary was amazing, and had a knack for coming up with huge plays all season long.

That's because the front four could dominate a run game. Being able to commit 4-5 to the run and 6-7 to the passing game means you're going to win a lot of those aerial battles.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 01:51 PM
That's because the front four could dominate a run game. Being able to commit 4-5 to the run and 6-7 to the passing game means you're going to win a lot of those aerial battles.

It goes hand-in-hand. The point is, NU's secondary is getting severely overlooked. I watch NU games religiously, and I believe the strength of the defense (as a unit) was the secondary. Those guys made play after play after play.

delhalew
5/27/2010, 01:52 PM

Not saying Alabama is not a great team, but they couldn't even destroy a weak Texas minus one Colt McCoy in the NC. Texas squeeked by our backups, Nebraska, Aggie...it's a long list.
The top tier Big 12 and top tier SEC are evenly matched and you know it.

delhalew
5/27/2010, 01:54 PM
Don't really want to get my hopes to high, but I've been reading Steele's mag for years. Dude is clairevoyant.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 02:01 PM
Yet it was enough to not only beat OU, but come 1 second away from winning the Big12 CG.

It was also enough to beat a Top25 team by 33 points in the Holiday Bowl. Ranking OU #1 is far more off-the-wall than ranking NU in the Top10.

true and it was good enough to get beat by texas tech at home and lose the next week to iowa state at home...

and if you wanna be proud of beating a 8-5 football team on your home field, congratulations..

There is nothing that shows Nebraska deserves a top 10 ranking

TexasLidig8r
5/27/2010, 02:02 PM
We'll see how good Mr. Crick is when he doesnt have KingKongdammit Suh next to him ripping the arms off offensive linemen and making the quarterback eat them.

Like.... this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT3lp6uT7gA

As for the Bugeater offense.. they scored.. oh.. what.. 7 points against Ioway State and turned the ball over 5 brazillion times and against Texas they had what... 106 yards of total offense with 32 yards coming on one play.

Oh boy.. they scored 30 points against a hapless Arizona team...

Nebraska at 5 is.. ridonkulous.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 02:04 PM
exactly

BoulderSooner79
5/27/2010, 02:05 PM
IMO, NU had the best D in the country by the end of the season. But CFB has evolved beyond the days of Bear Bryant and a team has to be decent in all phases to win championships. NU played the ultimate Beamer ball last year and was a dangerous team for anyone who played them, but that's not enough. (Note that Beamer himself has been close, but never won it all either). NU will need to get much better on offense to take the next step.

OU was closer to being very good last year than NU. Our offense would overwhelm a poor defense and our defense was almost as good as NUs. If our O-line could have created a few more cracks for our RBs or held out the pass rush just bit longer, we could have been effective against good defenses too. NU wasn't even close most the year and struggled to move the ball against the weakest of defenses. The Husker faithful are no doubt encouraged from the bowl game, but stuff like that can happen in bowls and I wouldn't read too much into it.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 02:06 PM
IMO, NU had the best D in the country by the end of the season. But CFB has evolved beyond the days of Bear Bryant and a team has to be decent in all phases to win championships. NU played the ultimate Beamer ball last year and was a dangerous team for anyone who played them, but that's not enough. (Note that Beamer himself has been close, but never won it all either). NU will need to get much better on offense to take the next step.

OU was closer to being very good last year than NU. Our offense would overwhelm a poor defense and our defense was almost as good as NUs. If our O-line could have created a few more cracks for our RBs or held out the pass rush just bit longer, we could have been effective against good defenses too. NU wasn't even close most the year and struggled to move the ball against the weakest of defenses. The Husker faithful are no doubt encouraged from the bowl game, but stuff like that can happen in bowls and I wouldn't read too much into it.

yup

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 02:07 PM
true and it was good enough to get beat by texas tech at home and lose the next week to iowa state at home...

and if you wanna be proud of beating a 8-5 football team on your home field, congratulations..

There is nothing that shows Nebraska deserves a top 10 ranking

Nebraska finished last season ranked #14. So I don't see NU beginning this year ranked in the Top10 as a HUGE stretch. It's definitely not near as big of a stretch as ranking OU that high.

Personally, I'd rank NU about where they finished. In the 12-15 range.

Yes, NU had an embarassing loss at home, but it wasn't to OU.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 02:09 PM
We'll see how good Mr. Crick is when he doesnt have KingKongdammit Suh next to him ripping the arms off offensive linemen and making the quarterback eat them.

Like.... this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT3lp6uT7gA

As for the Bugeater offense.. they scored.. oh.. what.. 7 points against Ioway State and turned the ball over 5 brazillion times and against Texas they had what... 106 yards of total offense with 32 yards coming on one play.

Oh boy.. they scored 30 points against a hapless Arizona team...

Nebraska at 5 is.. ridonkulous.

If Arizona is hapless, what would you call a Stanford team that was not only defeated by Arizona, but without Luck?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 02:11 PM
Nebraska finished last season ranked #14. So I don't see NU beginning this year ranked in the Top10 as a HUGE stretch. It's definitely not near as big of a stretch as ranking OU that high.

Personally, I'd rank NU about where they finished. In the 12-15 range.

Yes, NU had embarassing losses at home, but it wasn't to OU.

again, not sure what thats proving that you beat OU at home last year...but ok...

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 02:11 PM
If Arizona is hapless, what would you call a Stanford team that was not only defeated by Arizona, but without Luck?

sun bowl runner-ups?

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 02:13 PM
again, not sure what thats proving that you beat OU at home last year...but ok...

For the third time, ranking a team that finished #14 last year in the Top10 might be a stretch, but it's not near the stretch that it is to rank a team that finished unranked #1.

For Big12 teams, I'd have Texas ahead of NU and OU, and NU ahead of OU, until the season proves otherwise.

TexasLidig8r
5/27/2010, 02:17 PM
sun bowl runner-ups?

Who played in the Sun Bowl last year?

NormanPride
5/27/2010, 02:27 PM
For the third time, ranking a team that finished #14 last year in the Top10 might be a stretch, but it's not near the stretch that it is to rank a team that finished unranked #1.

For Big12 teams, I'd have Texas ahead of NU and OU, and NU ahead of OU, until the season proves otherwise.

I don't think you're getting any arguments here that ranking OU that high is weird. But seeing Nebraska in the top 10 is odd as well.

delhalew
5/27/2010, 02:29 PM
Mr Steele has spent every waking moment on this since the last season ended. Get his mag and go conference by conference. Then at the end of the season let your mind be blown by how much he got right.

Now for an encore...I'm gonna blow the guy.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 02:36 PM
I don't think you're getting any arguments here that ranking OU that high is weird. But seeing Nebraska in the top 10 is odd as well.

I think NU in the Top10 is too high, but I wouldn't call it odd. They finished #14 last year, winning 6 of its final 7 games. The one loss was on the 2nd final play of the game in the Big12 Championship Game.

Yes, the offense was BAD, but the defense was great. Those putting NU in the Top10 think, obviously, that the offense will improve and the defense won't drop significantly.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 02:38 PM

based upon circumstances that the OU team faced last year, I would have to disagree with you for the 3rd time...I think both rankings are equally as wrong

And whoever is the best team in the north be about the 3rd or 4th best team in the south

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 02:39 PM
Who played in the Sun Bowl last year?

Utep plays all their home games there

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 02:42 PM
based upon circumstances that the OU team faced last year, I would have to disagree with you for the 3rd time...I think both rankings are equally as wrong

And whoever is the best team in the north be about the 3rd or 4th best team in the south

The best team in the North (NU) will likely be just behind Texas.

Of course, that's just a prediction. There definitely will not be 3 teams in the South better than NU. I'd put some money on that, and even give you some favorable odds if you'd like.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 02:47 PM
The best team in the North (NU) will likely be just behind Texas.

Of course, that's just a prediction. There definitely will not be 3 teams in the South better than NU. I'd put some money on that, and even give you some favorable odds if you'd like.

Texas and Oklahoma both will be better, potentially Tech

Collier11
5/27/2010, 02:52 PM

Yea cus Neb turned 5 ints by Landry at home into 10 pts...what a team

NormanPride
5/27/2010, 02:54 PM
Tech has a new coach who hates the spread. They might be really bad. OSU has a new spread O with TEs as WRs. They might be really bad. A&M might be the third best, IMO.

But honestly, I think the Big 12 will be down this year...

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 02:57 PM
Texas and Oklahoma both will be better, potentially Tech

Snap back to reality.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 02:57 PM
Yea cus Neb turned 5 ints by Landry at home into 10 pts...what a team

Landry Jones was clearly Nebraska's best QB last year.

Collier11
5/27/2010, 02:58 PM
and Nebraska still couldnt pull away, at home

Herr Scholz
5/27/2010, 02:59 PM
IThe one loss was on the 2nd final play of the game in the Big12 Championship Game.
Just because your coaches ran out onto the field early doesn't mean the game was over.

Eielson
5/27/2010, 03:00 PM
I love Nebraska fans. They only lose 4 games in a season and all the sudden they want to come onto other boards to talk trash. Isn't Stoops' average season better than what Nebraska did last year? Congratulations guys, you almost won a Big XII Championship...we've won 6.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:00 PM
and Nebraska still couldnt pull away, at home

You're right in that NU only beat OU by 7. What exactly you're trying to prove by that, I'm not sure.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:01 PM
Just because your coaches ran out onto the field early doesn't mean the game was over.

The coaches only ran on the field because the clock said 0:00.

I do agree that there should have been 1 second on the clock, however. Lucky break on UT's part, though.

Collier11
5/27/2010, 03:02 PM
That with your amazing Neb team that you are talking about, you could only beat an avg OU team with a fresh QB by a td at home after getting 5 ints

stoops the eternal pimp
Snap back to reality.

still here....waiting for you most spectacular argument that I m wrong

NatureBoy
I love Nebraska fans. They only lose 4 games in a season and all the sudden they want to come onto other boards to talk trash. Isn't Stoops' average season better than what Nebraska did last year? Congratulations guys, you almost won a Big XII Championship...we've won 6.

Point out the talk trashing, please.

The closest I've come to talking trash about OU is saying Landry Jones was NU's best QB, but that was only after a Sooner made a sarcastic remark about NU being a good team.

Why so sensitive?

Eielson
5/27/2010, 03:03 PM
You're right in that NU only beat OU by 7. What exactly you're trying to prove by that, I'm not sure.

I think what he's trying to say is that your best team in several years struggled to beat an injury-decimated team that ended up being one of our worst in several years. It's really not something to brag about.

NatureBoy
still here....waiting for you most spectacular argument that I m wrong

You want me to make an argument on why you're wrong in a prediction?

I'll give you 2 to 1 odds that NU finishes the season ranked higher than TT, A&M, OSU and Baylor.

TexasLidig8r
Utep plays all their home games there

Well played sir.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:04 PM
I think what he's trying to say is that your best team in several years struggled to beat an injury-decimated team that ended up being one of our worst in several years. It's really not something to brag about.

Don't start with injury excuses. NU beat OU. Was it by much? Of course not. It was a close, hard fought game.

Did NU beat a Sam Bradfrod led team? Nope. They beat a Landry Jones led team. Landry Jones is OU's 2010 QB.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 03:05 PM
You want me to make an argument on why you're wrong in a prediction?

I'll give you 2 to 1 odds that NU finishes the season ranked higher than TT, A&M, OSU and Baylor.

well you said to snap back to reality in that OU and texas and potentially a 3rd big 12 south team will be better than the best north team..and even as much as the north sucks overall, I doubt nebraska wins the north

Collier11
5/27/2010, 03:06 PM
Don't start with injury excuses. NU beat OU. Was it by much? Of course not. It was a close, hard fought game.

Did NU beat a Sam Bradfrod led team? Nope. They beat a Landry Jones led team. Landry Jones is OU's 2010 QB.

How can you say dont use the injury excuse? We were without the best QB in the country, the best TE in the country, and the majority of our Oline? How is that not a valid excuse? Its not like our 3rd string WR was out and someone is blaming that

Eielson
5/27/2010, 03:06 PM
Point out the talk trashing, please.

Claiming that OU will be worse than NU is pretty insulting.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 03:07 PM
its ok collier..they are a 4 loss team that won a game against a 5 loss team with most of its offense at home....wow

NatureBoy
well you said to snap back to reality in that OU and texas and potentially a 3rd big 12 south team will be better than the best north team..and even as much as the north sucks overall, I doubt nebraska wins the north

And again, I'd love to make that bet with you. Small, friendly wager. I'll put up $100 that NU wins the North, to your $50 that they do not.

Herr Scholz
The coaches only ran on the field because the clock said 0:00.

I do agree that there should have been 1 second on the clock, however. Lucky break on UT's part, though.
You're contradicting yourself. You're saying it was the right call but out of the other side of your mouth you're saying UT was lucky and there were 2 ends of the game.

NatureBoy
its ok collier..they are a 4 loss team that won a game against a 5 loss team with most of its offense at home....wow

You're using the, "who cares if you beat us, we sucked" argument?

Collier11
5/27/2010, 03:08 PM
Mizzou wins the north

NatureBoy
You're contradicting yourself. You're saying it was the right call but out of the other side of your mouth you're saying UT was lucky and there were 2 ends of the game.

It was luck. McCoy made a boneheaded play, but the team was lucky. It was also the right call.

It can be the right call, and still luck at the same time.

Collier11
You're using the, "who cares if you beat us, we sucked" argument?

No he is saying, as was I that you are bragging about beating us when we had a rag-tag team out there, and you barely beat us...at home

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:10 PM
Claiming that OU will be worse than NU is pretty insulting.

If that's the way you feel about Nebraska, then that's your choice. Won't try and change your views about the Husker program.

Collier11
5/27/2010, 03:10 PM
I love Pelini and I like what he is doing with the program but Nebraska hasnt had a really good team in a long time. I think that is the overriding point of this board

BoulderSooner79
5/27/2010, 03:11 PM

Not defending NatureBoy, but the call was correct *and* UT was lucky - no contradiction there. Now claiming 2 endings to the game is silly...

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:11 PM
No he is saying, as was I that you are bragging about beating us when we had a rag-tag team out there, and you barely beat us...at home

I'm not bragging about beating OU, I'm pointing out that NU beat OU. NU was definitely aided by Landry Jones's performance. Yes, Jones was there because Bradford was hurt. But Bradford is gone now, and that's the whole point.

Collier11
5/27/2010, 03:12 PM
Not defending NatureBoy, but the call was correct *and* UT was lucky - no contradiction there. Now claiming 2 endings to the game is silly...

True, if Suh doesnt get thru the Oline so easily or if Colt throws it just a little higher or longer, ut loses cus Colt had no clue what he was doing. Somehow, someway in that situation he lost his cool and nearly blew it

Collier11
5/27/2010, 03:12 PM
I'm not bragging about beating OU, I'm pointing out that NU beat OU. NU was definitely aided by Landry Jones's performance. Yes, Jones was there because Bradford was hurt. But Bradford is gone now, and that's the whole point.

Not one if you are changing the discussion to this year

Eielson
5/27/2010, 03:13 PM

Okay, let's not talk about injuries. Let's just talk about the team that was thrown on the field with little experience. That was arguably Stoops' worst team at OU. There isn't another Stoops era team you would've beaten on that night. In Stoops' first year, Heupel wouldn't have thrown 5 interceptions and would've found a way into the endzone, and in the Bomar year, we would've just kept handing it off to AD.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:13 PM
I love Pelini and I like what he is doing with the program but Nebraska hasnt had a really good team in a long time. I think that is the overriding point of this board

True, NU hasn't had a really good team in a long time. Last year's team was not what I'd call really good, but it did end the season winning 6 of 7 and finished in the Top15. There's still a lot to improve on, and a lot to prove, but I don't see it as being "odd" that NU is in the Top10 in many preseason polls.

My overriding point is that it's a much bigger stretch to play OU #1 than it is to place NU in the Top10.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:14 PM
Okay, let's not talk about injuries. Let's just talk about the team that was thrown on the field with little experience. That was arguably Stoops' worst team at OU. There isn't another Stoops era team you would've beaten on that night. In Stoops' first year, Heupel wouldn't have thrown 5 interceptions and would've found a way into the endzone, and in the Bomar year, we would've just kept handing it off to AD.

So you're going to go from perhaps Stoops worst team to being ranked #1? I realize most OU fans don't agree with that ranking, but my overriding point is that it's a bigger stretch to rank OU #1 than NU in the Top10.

Collier11
5/27/2010, 03:14 PM
Id say both are a little overrated

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 03:16 PM

this...but to think that Oklahoma wont end up better than nebraska is a bigger stretch

NatureBoy

If I were doing the rankings, I'd place NU in the 12-15 range, and OU slightly behind NU.

I'd place UT around 7-10. They lost a lot, but until someone beats them, they get the nod.

NatureBoy
this...but to think that Oklahoma wont end up better than nebraska is a bigger stretch

And that's what I disagree with strongly.

You probably would have said the same thing prior to last season, and then it happened.

By the way, no bet on the Big12 North discussion?

Herr Scholz
5/27/2010, 03:17 PM

I took his lucky comment to mean that the refs unfairly gifted us the game. That contradicts it being the right call. Claiming there were 2 endings also contradicts it being the right call.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 03:18 PM
And again, I'd love to make that bet with you. Small, friendly wager. I'll put up $100 that NU wins the North, to your $50 that they do not.

sorry fella, I don't know and you dont know me, and im past my teens, so I dont need to bet money to prove my point

NatureBoy
I took his lucky comment to mean that the refs unfairly gifted us the game. That contradicts it being the right call. Claiming there were 2 endings also contradicts it being the right call.

My "2nd final play of the game" comment was more tongue-in-cheek than anything. I thought I cleared that up by saying it was the right call.

NatureBoy
sorry fella, I don't know and you dont know me, and im past my teens, so I dont need to bet money to prove my point

Right, because only those in their teens bet on football.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 03:19 PM
And that's what I disagree with strongly.

You probably would have said the same thing prior to last season, and then it happened.

By the way, no bet on the Big12 North discussion?

let me ask you this..why was nebraska better than oklahoma last year?

Eielson
5/27/2010, 03:19 PM
So you're going to go from perhaps Stoops worst team to being ranked #1? I realize most OU fans don't agree with that ranking, but my overriding point is that it's a bigger stretch to rank OU #1 than NU in the Top10.

That's not even what I'm discussing. I've said (I believe in this thread) that Alabama should be #1. I'm saying that Nebraska won't be better than OU. Nobody on this board has said that OU should be rated #1. Why do you keep getting into Nebraska being better than OU arguments, and then keep retreating to "OU being rated #1 is a stretch?" We agree. Now quit saying it.

Herr Scholz
5/27/2010, 03:20 PM
Fair enough. BTW, I'm going up to Lincoln this year. Looking forward to that one.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 03:20 PM
Right, because only those in their teens bet on football.

this isn't about betting on football..its about you putting your bird chest out there and thumping it..

Collier11
5/27/2010, 03:21 PM
If I were doing the rankings, I'd place NU in the 12-15 range, and OU slightly behind NU.

I'd place UT around 7-10. They lost a lot, but until someone beats them, they get the nod.

IMHO, the only way Nebraska is ranked higher than OU at the end of the year is if we stumble in our non conf since we are playing such a tough schedule.

NatureBoy
let me ask you this..why was nebraska better than oklahoma last year?

Better overall, better finish, won the head-to-head matchup.

delhalew

Stoops' first year was not great. In his second year...national champs. A good coach can turn the corner from misfortune rather quickly. I should add the "power program" caveat. If you have weak recruiting you can't turn it around that quickly.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:22 PM
this isn't about betting on football..its about you putting your bird chest out there and thumping it..

What's with the hostility? I like to make a buck on football games from time to time. If you don't want to bet, just say so.

goingoneight
I can see some of the corn's point. Point taken about the B12 CCG, and about LJ's performance in ONE unfateful, bad game. LJ overall though was a pretty good QB most of the year, and as this offense grows, I can only expect him to progress along with it. If corn is saying "LJ sucks, neener-neener-neener," well, I'd have to take issue with that. Though I don't see it since the guy has already admitted to it not being OU's best team or effort.

stoops the eternal pimp

so you cant explain it any deeper than that? this is getting good

so if bradford and gresham aren't hurt, is nebraska a better team last season?

Eielson
5/27/2010, 03:23 PM

He asked why, he didn't ask for indicators.

Collier11
5/27/2010, 03:23 PM
What's with the hostility? I like to make a buck on football games from time to time. If you don't want to bet, just say so.

Its not about betting, its that you tried to prove your point by throwing money at the discussion

Collier11
5/27/2010, 03:24 PM

More importantly, is Bradford worth 7pts cus I highly doubt he throws 5ints, let alone the ONE that set up your ONLY td.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:24 PM
That's not even what I'm discussing. I've said (I believe in this thread) that Alabama should be #1. I'm saying that Nebraska won't be better than OU. Nobody on this board has said that OU should be rated #1. Why do you keep getting into Nebraska being better than OU arguments, and then keep retreating to "OU being rated #1 is a stretch?" We agree. Now quit saying it.

You're totally missing the other half of the point (again).

OU being ranked #1 is a bigger stretch than NU being in the Top10.

I've already commented on how I haven't seen OU fans who think OU should be #1. You must have missed that.

delhalew
5/27/2010, 03:25 PM
Nature boy, Steele rankings are not about last year. Unlike most preseason rankings, Steele actually puts thought into were these teams will actually end up.

stoops the eternal pimp

sorry about that..really am..

but anyway, no sir I will not bet you, I bet point spreads some but not long term stuff..too much stuff can happen to be that ignorant...thanks for the offer though

Collier11
sorry about that..really am..

but anyway, no sir I will not bet you, I bet point spreads some but not long term stuff..too much stuff can happen to be that ignorant...thanks for the offer though

youre sweet :D you shoulda used the "You dont know me, you dont know about my life" angle

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:26 PM

You're sounding like Texas fans crying about losing to Alabama because McCoy got hurt. It's a part of the game. I do not believe for a second that Bradford would have thrown 5 INTs. You're forgetting, though, that Bradford was injured in part because of OU's bad OL. Would Bradford have been injured by Suh or Crick? Who knows.

I don't know how deep you want me to explain things to satisfy you. I just hope "the eternal pimp" doesn't make a reference to me being in my teens again for betting on football.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 03:28 PM
You're sounding like Texas fans crying about losing to Alabama.

I don't know how deep you want me to explain things to satisfy you. I just hope "the eternal pimp" doesn't make a reference to me being in my teens again for betting on football.

i apologized...dont know what else to say..

I'm not crying about losing..OU lost...You just act like nebraska became a better football team just because it just happened...I asked you some questions now you dont wanna respond..

that was a simple yes or no question you avoided

so Ok..thanks

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:29 PM
Nature boy, Steele rankings are not about last year. Unlike most preseason rankings, Steele actually puts thought into were these teams will actually end up.

But if we throw everything out that happened last year, what do we go off of? What do we know about players like Landry Jones and Jared Crick if we don't go off of last year?

gaylordfan1
5/27/2010, 03:30 PM
I'm inserting the pistol in my mouth..... right NOW!

Eielson
I've already commented on how I haven't seen OU fans who think OU should be #1. You must have missed that.

No, I saw it...and that just confuses me even more why you keep bringing it up.

NatureBoy
i apologized...dont know what else to say..

I'm not crying about losing..OU lost...You just act like nebraska became a better football team just because it just happened...I asked you some questions now you dont wanna respond..

that was a simple yes or no question you avoided

so Ok..thanks

I did respond. You asked if Bradford was healthy....

I replied that I don't think for a second he would have played as badly as Jones. Bradford is on a whole different level. I also don't know that Bradford would have left Lincoln healthy had he entered Lincoln healthy, as OU's OL was a struggling unit.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:31 PM
No, I saw it...and that just confuses me even more why you keep bringing it up.

Because that's the part OU fans are disagreeing with. You guys disagree with me saying it's a bigger stretch to put OU #1 than it is to put NU in the Top10, and that's sparked a nice little discussion.

gaylordfan1
5/27/2010, 03:32 PM
So, Nature, whats the upside to the NU offense this year? Serious question. I don't really follow the team that much? I know you return your QB and RB, who else?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 03:32 PM
the question was more overall like is nebraska a better football team than oklahoma with bradford and gresham...

if head to head matchups is the rule on who is the best football team, then iowa state > nebraska

TexasLidig8r
5/27/2010, 03:33 PM
Because that's the part OU fans are disagreeing with. You guys disagree with me saying it's a bigger stretch to put OU #1 than it is to put NU in the Top10, and that's sparked a nice little discussion.

Hey Naitch..

Rick Flair called.

He wants his name back.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:34 PM
So, Nature, whats the upside to the NU offense this year? Serious question. I don't really follow the team that much? I know you return your QB and RB, who else?

10 of 11 starters return.

Of course, the question that follows will be: is returning the entire unit of a bad unit a good thing?

I don't know, but I imagine it will be a good thing. I expect to see considerable improvement on that side of the ball.

Eielson

If your feelings get hurt that easily, then the internet isn't the place for you. You seem way too sensitive, and just so you know, this isn't making anybody feel sorry for you.

NatureBoy
the question was more overall like is nebraska a better football team than oklahoma with bradford and gresham...

if head to head matchups is the rule on who is the best football team, then iowa state > nebraska

Who said head-to-head is "the rule" on who is the better team?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/27/2010, 03:36 PM
Helu is a quality RB..I don't believe at all in the QB..the WR group is ok...

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:36 PM
If your feelings get hurt that easily, then the internet isn't the place for you. You seem way too sensitive, and just so you know, this isn't making anybody feel sorry for you.

Okay, so I call you sensitive, and you reply with calling me sensitive?

Originality at its finest.

gaylordfan1
5/27/2010, 03:38 PM
Whats NUs message boards name?

NatureBoy
Helu is a quality RB..I don't believe at all in the QB..the WR group is ok...

It mostly hinges on the OL, IMO. Lee will be improved IMO, but by how much? He had much needed surgery in the off-season, so we'll see.

NU doesn't need a Top25 offense (like it had in 2008). They just need a respectable offense that can quit putting the defense in bad situations, and capitialize on the good situation the defense will put it in.

delhalew
But if we throw everything out that happened last year, what do we go off of? What do we know about players like Landry Jones and Jared Crick if we don't go off of last year?

Well we know that LJ's performance last year put him at the top of the rookie heap.
You said OU can't go from a down year to dominance. The facts don't bear that out.
Is a number one realistic...I don't know. Is it possible...absolutely.

NatureBoy
5/27/2010, 03:39 PM
Well we know that LJ's performance last year put him at the top of the rookie heap.
You said OU can't go from a down year to dominance. The facts don't bear that out.
Is a number one realistic...I don't know. Is it possible...absolutely.

You are wrong. I did not say that OU can't be dominant.

Eielson
5/27/2010, 03:39 PM
Okay, so I call you sensitive, and you reply with calling me sensitive?

Originality at its finest.

You're delicate. Is that better?

Regardless, you act as if you were deeply wounded by STEP's comments. What he said was dead-on, and not that offensive. You're definitely the sensitive one.