PDA

View Full Version : CHAINSAW THREAD 2010

StoopTroup
5/26/2010, 11:47 AM
I was cutting out some overgrown stuff in my backyard to make way for a new storage shed and I ran out of gas. Had the boy go grab the can and filled her up. Was about a minute into cutting again when it freewheeld and shut down...I immediately realized without looking that I didn't put the mixed 2 cycle gas in. Thankfully it was my poulan and not my stihl.

Anyway my Father-in-law owns a mower shop in Haskell, OK and when he was by to visit his Daughter I gave him the saw for parts and told him I didn't need it. The Wife just called and he is meeting her for lunch today and he fixed the chainsaw. I have a great FIL.

I hate using the stihl for stuff at Ground Level. I use it for clean cuts usually and not the stuff where I might have to toss the saw either. I was cutting a tree with an extension ladder once and I extended the ladder out the entire 20 feet as I knew the limb would move upwards as I cut part of the limb off. It did and it stopped at around 6 inches from the top of the ladder. :rolleyes: :eek: As it was going up I tossed the saw and grabbed onto the limb and started to climb up the ladder and get on the limb until the fire department could come get my dumbass. :D

Thankfully it stopped before the 20 feet of ladder ran out.

So...those of you DIY lumberjacks....make sure you got the right mix for your saw....sharpen that old chain ahead of time and never run out of ladder.

YWIA

ST

yermom
5/26/2010, 11:50 AM
i have smallish trees

i have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Troy-Bilt-PS720R-Trimmer-Attachment-11-Foot/dp/B0007MGCSU

and a 4-cycle weed eater

no mixing :D

StoopTroup
5/26/2010, 11:53 AM
I've broke everyone of those electrics I've ever used. Remember to never let me borrow that.

BudSooner
5/26/2010, 12:17 PM
I've broke everyone of those electrics I've ever used. Remember to never let me borrow that.
I agree, anything like that should never have "chainsaw" printed on it.

Chain pruner on the other hand is ok, if you get the chance and see Asplundh(?)out and around ask them where they get the saws they use.
My uncle bought one from a guy who sells to commercial tree companies, it's not good for anything huge since it only has a 14" bar on it but on a ladder it is very powerful and well balanced, almost to the point you could use it ONE HANDED.

On one occasion when I was on a ladder and secured to the tree with my harness, I was trying to cut a small limb and did use it with one hand and one other thing to add is that his saw didn't require it to be in the upper RPM range when cutting. Plenty of power in the mid band range.
But yeah, Stihl does make ****ing awesome saws but I would kill for one of the old Homelite saws just after they got away from the all metal cover.
I had one that was given to me, worn out but I went thru the engine and replaced alot of parts and that thing gave me at least 5yrs more service.

That thing was tough as nails.

StoopTroup
5/26/2010, 12:20 PM
AAA Rental on 15th St here in Tulsa has a whole wall of Stihl stuff....

Everytime I walk in there I feel like Tim the Toolman and start to grunt like a caveman. :D

StoopTroup
5/26/2010, 12:21 PM
http://www.moontractor.com/img/stihl1.jpg

BudSooner
5/26/2010, 12:48 PM
AAA Rental on 15th St here in Tulsa has a whole wall of Stihl stuff....

Everytime I walk in there I feel like Tim the Toolman and start to grunt like a caveman. :DQuanite sales&supply in Locust is a Stihl dealer, and has tractors as a bonus.
I don't have a real use for one other than some brush that needs cleared out once and awhile but he's got a Kubota over there with a backhoe attachment i've got a major hardon for. :D
And said he would throw in the brush hog free if I bought it with the attachment. Heh, if I had $25 thousdand to throw around I would do it, it is used though but only about 100hrs on it.

Yeah, I veered off the chainsaw part onto a tractor agenda.:D

Dean, I know you would chime in at some time....what is your opinion of Kubota? POS? I had a guy wanting to sell me a Massey with the front loader and box blade for $3000, had 500hrs on it before he rebuilt the diesel engine - 45HP, 3 point works great and had the clutch gone thru and rebuilt.

Is this a good deal? Or should I be cautious about a rebuilt at 500hrs?

THREADJACK END. :D

yermom
5/26/2010, 12:49 PM

it's not electric. it's an attachment to the weedeater

BudSooner
5/26/2010, 12:53 PM
it's not electric. it's an attachment to the weedeaterNot bad, I just don't like the drive system on them but for what they do they are ok.
Then again, taking a chainsaw and using it to prune with is overkill also. I've used an electric pruner and they work great, pretty handy if you have alot to prune and have plenty of cord to keep with you.

Or a small generator comes in handy also.

StoopTroup
5/26/2010, 12:54 PM
it's not electric. it's an attachment to the weedeater

I didn't look close enough. Sorry bro. I even sold some of those back in the day....lol

I do have to agree with Bud on those Asphlund guys and the polesaws they use. They look like they use the crap out of those things and they stand up to the everyday beating they get. The weedeater attachment is good enough for most of us though. I've got three huge pecan trees in my yard and the weedeater deal wouldn't hold up.

No woories Bud on the Kubota thread jack...this is a thread about cutting ****....man stuff.....lol

BudSooner
5/26/2010, 01:58 PM
I didn't look close enough. Sorry bro. I even sold some of those back in the day....lol

I do have to agree with Bud on those Asphlund guys and the polesaws they use. They look like they use the crap out of those things and they stand up to the everyday beating they get. The weedeater attachment is good enough for most of us though. I've got three huge pecan trees in my yard and the weedeater deal wouldn't hold up.

No woories Bud on the Kubota thread jack...this is a thread about cutting ****....man stuff.....lol
Heh we need Dean in here then, I tried to find his story about his near miss on the bulldozer? Frontend loader? from years ago.
It's a damn good thing Lowes etc cannot legally sell dynamite/C4 to the public, there would be enough holes in the ground to make Earth resemble the moon from mens playtime.:D :D