PDA

View Full Version : New Athlons is out!

IronHorseSooner
5/25/2010, 10:46 AM
On my flight back home yesterday, I picked up the new Athons (even though it is the Southeastern version). Here's their Top 5:

1. 'Bama (can't much disagree):)
2. tOSU (they will find a way to screw a couple up):rolleyes:
3. BSU (VA Tech will be a massive game for them)
4. SUC (Huh, I didn't get that one?!!?):confused: :mad:
5. OU (YEAH, BABY!!!!):D :pop:

They also had us winning the Big 12, and playing in the Fiesta Bowl against Pitt. They also had 'Bama with 1 loss, but playing for an MNC. :confused:

Other highlights:

Preseason AAs (1st, 2nd, and 3rd):
WR & KR: Broyles
All Purpose: Murray (this is the second year for him on that)
LB: Travis Lewis
DE: Beal
S: Q. Carter

Heisman Hopefuls: The Stache and Broyles

They also listed the best coaching jobs in the country. They were, in order:

1: * (WTF????):confused: :mad:
2: SUC (money and wimmen, how can you lose?):mad:
3: 'Bama (I can't disagree there!):)
4: tOSU (Tell that to John Cooper or Earl Bruce):P
5: FLA (Meyer's Recruiting Pitch: Come here and we will inflate your 40 times!):eek:
6: OU (Their statement was that not EVERY coach wins here (see the '90s), but you can win a National Championship here (no duhhhh!)):D

badger
5/25/2010, 10:55 AM
Is it true that those mags have different rankings for teams based on what region they come out in to sell more mags?

For example, they rank OU #5 in the local edition, but on the west coast, do they rank Florida up there instead?

rawlingsHOH
5/25/2010, 11:09 AM
Is it true that those mags have different rankings for teams based on what region they come out in to sell more mags?

For example, they rank OU #5 in the local edition, but on the west coast, do they rank Florida up there instead?

no

rawlingsHOH
5/25/2010, 11:09 AM
They also listed the best coaching jobs in the country. They were, in order:

1: * (WTF????):confused: :mad:
2: SUC (money and wimmen, how can you lose?):mad:
3: 'Bama (I can't disagree there!):)
4: tOSU (Tell that to John Cooper or Earl Bruce):P
5: FLA (Meyer's Recruiting Pitch: Come here and we will inflate your 40 times!):eek:
6: OU (Their statement was that not EVERY coach wins here (see the '90s), but you can win a National Championship here (no duhhhh!)):D

Not even close.

oudavid1
5/25/2010, 11:10 AM
Texas is a good job as far as money, but schools like BAMA suc because of the pressure to win every year. And as far as USC being ranked so high......i have no idea.

goingoneight
5/25/2010, 11:27 AM
Dude... when does it come out in Oklahoma?!?

I love grabbing me a preseason mag or two.

Beats reading about baseball, tack and field and golf for four months. :mad:

oudavid1
5/25/2010, 11:41 AM

Ewwwwww, and you can get it online i believe.

goingoneight
5/25/2010, 11:44 AM
I would say the only fallback to being the UT head coach is wearing orange. The fans worship you, you have the deepest of the deepest of the deepest talent pool to recruit from and money-money-money.

That said, other jobs aren't too far behind and have plenty of money themselves. Just more spoiled fanbases.

USC means money, nice environment, talent pool and has to have something to do with the fact that you can get away with the Reggiegate kinda stuff.

MiccoMacey
5/25/2010, 11:46 AM
Apparently Nebraska's #7 and Texas is #8. That's three in the top ten from the Big Twelve.

Soonermagik
5/25/2010, 11:59 AM
Only time will tell if these predictions are even close.

I would love to get to a BCS game and win. Hopefully, after playing in the Sun Bowl it will motivate the younger players to get us back to national prominence.

JLEW1818
5/25/2010, 01:20 PM
looks like OU is ranked ahead of texas and neb

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football

85sooners
5/25/2010, 03:14 PM
:pop:

goingoneight
5/25/2010, 04:21 PM
Teh Walmarts haz it.

Must admit... I dropped $8.00 into Sam Walton's monster. :O

I could care less about the preseason polls. I gave up on that a few years back when I wasn't always drinking and arguing with my rival fan friends about who's who. :D

Besides, most of them are closet OU haters and "their teams" change just about every year. Some of them came out of the closet and exposed themselves as Texas fans, though... :D Just in time to watch the Rose Bowl.

agoo758
5/25/2010, 06:03 PM
The worst coaching job in my mind is at any school in Louisiana that is not LSU. The state government pretty much starves all the schools while fattening up the historically underachieving Tigers, and there is NO, I say again, NO fan support for any other Louisiana team.

ashley
5/25/2010, 07:19 PM
The Bama coach makes lots of money but cannot even leave his house or office because of the fans and he also has to live in Alabama.

AlbqSooner
5/25/2010, 07:43 PM
Athlon's is notoriously BAD in their preseason picks. Jus sayin.

JLEW1818
5/26/2010, 01:06 PM
Athlon's had us number 2 last year. FYI

delhalew
5/26/2010, 01:28 PM
Phil Steele's mag seems to be the best. It will hit the stands in a week or so.

NormanPride
5/26/2010, 01:32 PM

everyone had us high last year. With Bradford and Gresham I think we deserve that ranking. Remember, those two injuries went public within days of each other. Gresham was scheduled to play vs BYU until his verdict came back worse than anything anyone predicted, and Bradford was injured in the game. That was the end of the offense.

oudavid1
5/26/2010, 03:37 PM

well its not like they knew that Bradford, Gresham, and the line would all get hurt so much.

GottaHavePride
5/26/2010, 05:14 PM

I love grabbing me a preseason mag or two.

World Cup should keep me busy until July 11th. After that I might bother to worry about preseason football stuff.

StoopTroup
5/26/2010, 05:18 PM
looks like OU is ranked ahead of "teh crown jewels" and neb

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football

Fixed. :D

Leroyt
5/26/2010, 08:07 PM
What did I miss about the children of the corn's recruiting that is going to allow them to consistently score more than 10 points?:confused:

oudavid1
5/26/2010, 08:21 PM
Fixed. :D

thats so cute

oudavid1
5/27/2010, 12:29 AM
We're Number 5! (http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/19035/no-5-oklahoma-sooners)

cheezyq
6/1/2010, 02:25 PM
Phil Steele's mag seems to be the best. It will hit the stands in a week or so.

He's also an admittedly HUGE Sooner fan. Smart guy, but kinda have to take it with a grain of salt, ya know.

VA Sooner
6/1/2010, 08:20 PM
Looking forward to the Steele Mag.... he's very in-depth with his analysis. This year's prediction is a little lofty but compared to the other Big 12 Teams, it's about right.

IronHorseSooner
6/1/2010, 09:14 PM
He's also an admittedly HUGE Sooner fan. Smart guy, but kinda have to take it with a grain of salt, ya know.

However, he is objective. Last year he had us at #5, which was the worst of any major prognosticator. Hence, I put more validity in his analysis than I do most others.

cheezyq
6/1/2010, 09:22 PM
However, he is objective. Last year he had us at #5, which was the worst of any major prognosticator. Hence, I put more validity in his analysis than I do most others.

Yeah, I know he's great at crunching the numbers and stuff, and he's usually far more objective than the rest of the "analysts". But knowing he's a Sooner fan, I try not to get TOO excited. :)