PDA

View Full Version : The War is Making You Poor

yermom
5/25/2010, 12:24 AM
can't find this on any of the real news sites, weird.

http://trueslant.com/laurieessig/2010/05/24/the-war-is-making-you-poor/

The War is Making You Poor Act, HR5353: no additional funding for the wars, first $35k of income is tax free.

thoughts?

Harry Beanbag
5/25/2010, 01:36 AM
Sounds like the author of that article has no idea what he's talking about.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/25/2010, 01:47 AM
Sounds like the author of that article has no idea what he's talking about.Is it hope that the reason for our economy tanking is(yawn)because of military spending? If so, gee, that's original thinking from the left, huh? Yeah, I didn't read the link, but that's one of Yermom's concerns, isn't it?

Leroy Lizard
5/25/2010, 02:01 AM
She can't write.

BTW, here's a gem from one of her blogs:

Meyers [a novelist] continues this miseducation of our youth by having her teen heroine, Bella (yes, the heroine’s name is Bella and she’s beautiful) wait till she’s married to have sex.

Oh, the horrors!

She goes on to claim that she is suing the writer for brainwashing her daughters.

What an *******.

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2010, 08:25 AM
Actually, it isn't the war making us poor, its the libz.

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/files/2009/04/obamadebt.jpg

the_ouskull
5/25/2010, 08:40 AM
You get that graphic from Glen Beck?

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2010, 08:45 AM
You get that graphic from Glen Beck?

Nope:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2009/03/21/GR2009032100104.html

Of course, it's a year old, and the disaster-in-chief has only done more damage since then.

Which is probably why the market is starting to crash again.

HOPE AND CHANGE BABY!

XingTheRubicon
5/25/2010, 08:47 AM
Spending more than the rest of the world combined does seem a bit excessive.

I'd like to see a line by line audit of that 650 billion. That's 2 billion daily, btw.

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2010, 08:50 AM
650 Billion??

At least that created some jobs.

Obumblefuc just spent 800 Billion+ on the stimulus and the unemployment rate went up.

SoonerProphet
5/25/2010, 09:10 AM
The DoD needs to cut out its bloated paper pushing staff, bureaucracy, and waste.

For those "conservatives" that think that money spent for "defense" is somehow better than that of ss or medicare/caid. You are as fookin' delusional as the "libz".

sooneron
5/25/2010, 09:18 AM
The DoD needs to cut out its bloated paper pushing staff, bureaucracy, and waste.

For those "conservatives" that think that money spent for "defense" is somehow better than that of ss or medicare/caid. You are as fookin' delusional as the "libz".

this^

Leroy Lizard
5/25/2010, 09:30 AM

A dollar spent on defense puts more people to work than Medicare.

I'm not saying it is better to spend on defense, but it is hardly delusional to make the point.

Consider defense spending as "welfare for the educated."

Harry Beanbag
5/25/2010, 09:34 AM

The entire government needs to be gutted and streamlined.

85Sooner
5/25/2010, 09:34 AM
Private pay shrinks to historic lows

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/income/2010-05-24-income-shifts-from-private-sector_N.htm

Looks more like the wealth redistribution team in DC is costing us more.

StoopTroup
5/25/2010, 09:37 AM
The entire government needs to be gutted and streamlined.

There's an idea.

I bet that would fix everything...lol

Talk about a National Security disaster.

SoonerProphet
5/25/2010, 09:38 AM
A dollar spent on defense puts more people to work than Medicare.

I'm not saying it is better to spend on defense, but it is hardly delusional to make the point.

Consider defense spending as "welfare for the educated."

Really, I'd like a link to that. And work producing what, nothing for the private market.

Leroy Lizard
5/25/2010, 09:49 AM
Northrop hires lots and lots of highly paid engineers, which drives new technologies. In fact, defense spending accounts for a sizable portion of our total R&D in this country.

To approximate the cost of defense-related R&D, one can focus on the federally supported R&D performed by these industries. In 2005, these industries reported performing $14.0 billion of federal R&D, about two-thirds of all federal industrial R&D expenditures

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind08/c4/c4s3.htm

Unfortunately, few appreciate R&D spending because it doesn't just hand people money to spend. (We like that emotional angle of seeing a poor old man buying food.) But consider this:

The GPS System was created and realized by the American Department of Defense (DOD) and was originally based on and run with 24 satellites. It was established in 1973 to reduce the large number of navigation aids and to overcome the limitations of previous navigation systems.

How many lives have been saved by GPS?

You are naive if you think defense spending only goes into bullets and soldier pay.

JohnnyMack
5/25/2010, 09:56 AM
To question the efficiency of military spending and the size of its overall budget is clearly un-American and seditious.

SoonerProphet
5/25/2010, 09:57 AM
Northrop hires lots and lots of highly paid engineers, which drives new technologies. In fact, defense spending accounts for a sizable portion of our total R&D in this country.

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind08/c4/c4s3.htm

Unfortunately, few appreciate R&D spending because it doesn't just hand people money to spend. (We like that emotional angle of seeing a poor old man buying food.) But consider this:

How many lives have been saved by GPS?

You are naive if you think defense spending only goes into bullets and soldier pay.

No doubt things like jet aircraft, gps, computers, medicine are all greatly enhanced by defense r&d. One could easily toss out the many lives saved and enhanced quality of life generated by medicaid and medicare.

Do either of those arguments get to the root of the issue?

Harry Beanbag
5/25/2010, 09:58 AM
Just a little perspective. "Butter" is already accounting for over half of the budget.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/Fy2010_spending_by_category.jpg

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2010, 10:05 AM
Don't bother with the facts Harry. Obviously its the 18.7% on the military that's bankrupting this country, not the 50%+ in entitlement spending.

And this doesn't even include ZeroCare!!!!!!!!

Yes, that's how a liberal really thinks. Amazing, isn't it???

47straight
5/25/2010, 10:53 AM
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4373/42691516.png (http://img688.imageshack.us/i/42691516.png/)

That author wrote it in her break from making frappucinos.

Bourbon St Sooner
5/25/2010, 11:24 AM
No question the Great Society and crony capitalism have done more to make us poor than anything else, but the wars haven't helped. We can't afford to police the world anymore. If North and South Korea want to nuke each other, have at it.

Leroy Lizard
5/25/2010, 11:42 AM
No doubt things like jet aircraft, gps, computers, medicine are all greatly enhanced by defense r&d. One could easily toss out the many lives saved and enhanced quality of life generated by medicaid and medicare.

I'm not discounting that. I was just pointing out that it is not ludicrous to believe that defense spending is "better" than social welfare. To a certain extent, defense spending IS social welfare. Why deny a living to a person who spends a large portion of his life getting educated in aeronautical engineering so as to give the money to some woman who has 12 kids and hasn't worked a day in her life?

5/25/2010, 11:56 AM
The entire government needs to be gutted and streamlined.For sure, but at least Defense spending is one of the authorized functions of the govt.

5/25/2010, 12:01 PM
Don't bother with the facts Harry. Obviously its the 18.7% on the military that's bankrupting this country, not the 50%+ in entitlement spending.

And this doesn't even include ZeroCare!!!!!!!!

Yes, that's how a liberal really thinks. Amazing, isn't it???FIN! Another silly-premised, misguided lib thread closed.

Leroy Lizard
5/25/2010, 12:26 PM
For sure, but at least Defense spending is one of the authorized functions of the govt.

Is it the only one? (Constitutionally speaking.)

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2010, 01:44 PM
No question the Great Society and crony capitalism have done more to make us poor than anything else, but the wars haven't helped.Please.

$159.3 Billion (http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/factsheet_department_defense/) per year for trying to keep this country from being attacked again is chump change compared to what Obama has squandered in the last year and a half of his presidency.

Hell, he's spent 4+ times as much to unsuccessfully create one job. And another 5+ times as much to take over the healthcare industry.

Never mind the money for his endless bailouts to his friends on wallstreet, and at that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ponzi scheme.

Oh, but no, 1% of his reckless spending is what is bankrupting us. Ha!!!

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2010, 01:47 PM
Ironically, the war will cost less than the donks wetdream of bailing out their union cronies with tax payer money.

A Democratic senator is introducing legislation for a bailout of troubled union pension funds. If passed, the bill could put another $165 billion in liabilities on the shoulders of American taxpayers.

The bill, which would put the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation behind struggling pensions for union workers, is being introduced by Senator Bob Casey, (D-Pa.), who says it will save jobs and help people. http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2010/05/24/lawmaker-introduces-b-union-pension-bailout/

TopDawg
5/25/2010, 06:36 PM
Actually, it isn't the war making us poor, its the libz.

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/files/2009/04/obamadebt.jpg

Funny...cuz your chart makes it look like we had a surplus until around the time the war started (or shortly after Bush took over...whichever you prefer).

OklahomaTuba
5/26/2010, 09:07 AM
Funny...cuz your chart makes it look like we had a surplus until around the time the war started (or shortly after Bush took over...whichever you prefer).We did have a surplus. But a major economic bubble and the gutting of our military will do that.

Which is, not surprisingly, why we experienced a recession and an attack coincidently.

TopDawg
5/26/2010, 09:44 AM
So if what you say is true...that the libz are making us poor...then fill in the blank.

The libz are making us poor and the conservatives are too _________ to stop it.

A) gutless
B) clueless
C) corrupt
D) strongly guided by the same motives as the libz
E) all of the above

Or do you just think it's "darn unlucky"?

Harry Beanbag
5/26/2010, 10:27 AM
So if what you say is true...that the libz are making us poor...then fill in the blank.

A) gutless
B) clueless
C) corrupt
E) all of the above

It's either E or F) there aren't any real conservatives anymore.

Leroy Lizard
5/26/2010, 10:52 AM

A) gutless
B) clueless
C) corrupt
E) all of the above

Oh gee, the fallacy of limited options in full display.

TopDawg
5/26/2010, 11:39 AM
It's either E or F) there aren't any real conservatives anymore.

I figured someone might say that. I can dig it. Just as long as Tuba realizes that when he says "the libz" he means "almost all Democrats and Republicans that have occupied a seat in Congress or the White House for quite some time now."

TopDawg
5/26/2010, 11:44 AM
Oh gee, the fallacy of limited options in full display.

Of course you realize it was used only in response to the fallacy of OklahomaTuba in full display.

Leroy Lizard
5/26/2010, 11:48 AM
Something about two wrongs...

TopDawg
5/26/2010, 12:05 PM
I wasn't trying to right Tuba's wrong. I was trying to illustrate a point. Harry got it. Apparently you didn't.

XingTheRubicon
5/26/2010, 12:33 PM

A) gutless
B) clueless
C) corrupt
E) all of the above

F) few in numbers

5/26/2010, 12:57 PM
F) few in numbersGee, that was a difficult question. Surprised TopDawg couldn't figure it out on his own, and had to ask the question.haha.

OklahomaTuba
5/26/2010, 01:00 PM
I think this proves that TopDawg hasn't a clue on how our system of government works, or that the liberals control the whitehouse and congress.

Not really surprising truthfully.

the_ouskull
5/26/2010, 01:21 PM
So is Tuba a Glen Beck troll? How does this work?

the_ouskull

OklahomaTuba
5/26/2010, 01:52 PM
How does this work?

the_ouskull

You ask that a lot I bet.

TopDawg
5/26/2010, 01:55 PM
I think it has less to do with my understanding of how our system of government works and more to do with your inability to read the chart you posted.

If you'll examine it a little closer, you'll see that we started becoming "poor" in 2002, when the Republicans controlled the White House and House of Representatives. We stayed in the red throughout the Bush administration while for four years the White House, Senate and House of Reps were all controlled by Republicans.

OklahomaTuba
5/26/2010, 02:07 PM
I think it has less to do with my understanding of how our system of government works and more to do with your inability to read the chart you posted.

If you'll examine it a little closer, you'll see that we started becoming "poor" in 2002, when the Republicans controlled the White House and House of Representatives. We stayed in the red throughout the Bush administration while for four years the White House, Senate and House of Reps were all controlled by Republicans.

Actually we were starting to recover very nicely from the attacks, tech bubble, and wars until about the time the donks got control of congress.

Still, it's laughable that you're trying to blame republicans for the Obama's attempts at bankrupting of the country by quadrupling the debt. I wouldn't normally call Bush a frugal President, but compared to Obama.....

TopDawg
5/26/2010, 02:09 PM
Still, it's laughable that you're trying to blame republicans for the Obama's attempts at bankrupting of the country by quadrupling the debt.

It's laughable that that's what you think I'm trying to do.

It's also laughable that you don't acknowledge the data in the very chart you posted.

OklahomaTuba
5/26/2010, 02:19 PM
It's also laughable that you don't acknowledge the data in the very chart you posted.No, I think it's pretty clear how much poorer we are today vs just a few years ago, when we were getting less poorer, and people had jobs.

JohnnyMack
5/26/2010, 02:38 PM
No, I think it's pretty clear how much poorer we are today vs just a few years ago, when we were getting less poorer, and people had jobs.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/images/2009/jan/wk2/art02.gif

Do you notice anything in this here graph? Any sort of trend at all? Now, please reply by not using the words Brack, squanderer in chief or anything like that and simply tell me what was happening here.

the_ouskull
5/26/2010, 06:13 PM
Tuba is another idiot who believes what his parents, peers, and the magic talking box tell him to believe. You've got bi-partisianship etched into your brain, and nobody to shake you to make the image go away. Get over the whole Dem vs. Repub thing and realize that both parties are f*cking this country over, (although it'd be hard to break one off in America for as long as Bush did, to the extent that he did, without the support of people such as yourself, so thanks for that...) and have been for a long time. Well, at least since Clinton got rid of Reagan and Bush I's deficit.

"He cut military spending which led to 9/11, and blah, blah..."

If you believe this, you are f*cking stupid and there's no hope for you. Terror caused 9/11. Military occupation caused 9/11. A group of people who "just want to watch the world burn" (thanks, Alfred) caused 9/11. You know who didn't? Obama. But, I GUARANTEE you, if you look for as long as it takes to Google it, you'll find someone, probably another supporter of your oh-so-intelligent party, that thinks he did, or that he had a hand in it... or even that HE'S a terrorist.

I'm not a Bush supporter. (My brain gets in the way...) I'm not an Obama supporter either, though. I'm a government supporter, and my drought is running longer than the Cubs... But, being a government supporter, that makes me a Ron Paul supporter. Maybe he doesn't have all the answers, but at least he's not in bed with his daddy's buddies, leaving messes to be blamed on the next guy.. who f*cked things up even worse and blamed it on the last guy. Hmmm... makes me wonder...

What's the difference between the two (people and parties) again? Oh, that's right, one of them's black, and, therefore, a "turrurist." I truly hate people sometimes. Thankfully, you're spared, having not been a person in ages, apparently.

Tell me, if you could pick Miranda Kerr or Sean Hannity to pop out of your next birthday cake, would you have a flip a coin? Do you have pics of Ann Coulter saved on your computer in a folder entitled "Tax Information?"

Get over what you think is right for five seconds, open your eyes, and then start discussing the REAL problems instead of FOX News' talking points for the day. If you'd talk about fixing stuff instead of vs. vs. vs., then more sh*t might get done. You want to know what government has become...? I'd be HAPPY to show you...

(Link, and show in general... NSFW.)

http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/1012/

and the sequel...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/1013/

You're welcome...

the_ouskull

5/26/2010, 07:58 PM
No, I think it's pretty clear how much poorer we are today vs just a few years ago, when we were getting less poorer, and people had jobs.That boy just don't seem to wanna pay 'tention, does he?

5/26/2010, 08:00 PM
http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/images/2009/jan/wk2/art02.gif

Do you notice anything in this here graph? Any sort of trend at all? Now, please reply by not using the words Brack, squanderer in chief or anything like that and simply tell me what was happening here.How long did the dems have majorities in both houses, before the economy got chaotic?...wait!haha

5/26/2010, 08:16 PM
Tuba is another idiot who believes what his parents, peers, and the magic talking box tell him to believe. You've got bi-partisianship etched into your brain, and nobody to shake you to make the image go away. Get over the whole Dem vs. Repub thing and realize that both parties are f*cking this country over, (although it'd be hard to break one off in America for as long as Bush did, to the extent that he did, without the support of people such as yourself, so thanks for that...) and have been for a long time. Well, at least since Clinton got rid of Reagan and Bush I's deficit.

"He cut military spending which led to 9/11, and blah, blah..."

If you believe this, you are f*cking stupid and there's no hope for you. Terror caused 9/11. Military occupation caused 9/11. A group of people who "just want to watch the world burn" (thanks, Alfred) caused 9/11. You know who didn't? Obama. But, I GUARANTEE you, if you look for as long as it takes to Google it, you'll find someone, probably another supporter of your oh-so-intelligent party, that thinks he did, or that he had a hand in it... or even that HE'S a terrorist.

I'm not a Bush supporter. (My brain gets in the way...) I'm not an Obama supporter either, though. I'm a government supporter, and my drought is running longer than the Cubs... But, being a government supporter, that makes me a Ron Paul supporter. Maybe he doesn't have all the answers, but at least he's not in bed with his daddy's buddies, leaving messes to be blamed on the next guy.. who f*cked things up even worse and blamed it on the last guy. Hmmm... makes me wonder...

What's the difference between the two (people and parties) again? Oh, that's right, one of them's black, and, therefore, a "turrurist." I truly hate people sometimes. Thankfully, you're spared, having not been a person in ages, apparently.

Tell me, if you could pick Miranda Kerr or Sean Hannity to pop out of your next birthday cake, would you have a flip a coin? Do you have pics of Ann Coulter saved on your computer in a folder entitled "Tax Information?"

Get over what you think is right for five seconds, open your eyes, and then start discussing the REAL problems instead of FOX News' talking points for the day. If you'd talk about fixing stuff instead of vs. vs. vs., then more sh*t might get done. You want to know what government has become...? I'd be HAPPY to show you...
(Link, and show in general... NSFW.)
http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/1012/
and the sequel...
http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/1013/
You're welcome...
the_ouskullSorry, the OUSkull, that pathetic soliloquy easily qualifies you for ignore status. Stay warm!

TopDawg
5/27/2010, 01:08 PM
No, I think it's pretty clear how much poorer we are today vs just a few years ago, when we were getting less poorer, and people had jobs.

Which you could've said in 2003.* When the Republicans were in control of everything.

*The only difference is that you would've had to use "richer" instead of "less poorer" when referring to the way things were.

Veritas
5/27/2010, 05:47 PM
If you only make 35K, you barely pay any taxes anyway.

tommieharris91
5/27/2010, 10:07 PM
Y'know, if any of you guys were actually Constitutionalists, then you would be blaming the Ds in Congress instead of the D in the Oval Office.

tommieharris91
5/27/2010, 10:18 PM
Please.

$159.3 Billion (http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/factsheet_department_defense/) per year for trying to keep this country from being attacked again is chump change compared to what Obama has squandered in the last year and a half of his presidency.

FY2011 Request: $708.3 billion
FY2010 Enacted: $660.4 billion
FY2010 Supplemental: $33.0 billion

Oh, but no, 1% of his reckless spending is what is bankrupting us. Ha!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7a/U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2007.png/800px-U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2007.png

Math is tough.

XingTheRubicon
5/28/2010, 10:16 AM
Math is tough.

Apparently it is. Now go click the first link in this thread.

PDXsooner
5/28/2010, 10:39 AM
Tuba is another idiot who believes what his parents, peers, and the magic talking box tell him to believe. You've got bi-partisianship etched into your brain, and nobody to shake you to make the image go away. Get over the whole Dem vs. Repub thing and realize that both parties are f*cking this country over

He's like many people who can't seem to decipher the difference between ideology and reality. Constantly telling us what the conservative ideology is (which I happen to agree with a lot of) will not make it come true.