PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Classic Programming Alert

Sooner04
5/24/2010, 07:48 PM
Tonight, at midnight, on ESPN Classic you have one of the wildest OU games in history. From the fall of 1989, it's the running and gunning Sooners of Jackie Jones, William "Cheese" Davis and Skeeter Henry, against the "when in doubt, shoot" mad bombers from Loyola Marymount with Bo Kimble, Jeff Fryer and Terrell Lowery.

Note: Hank Gathers did not play in the game. He collapsed the first time about a week or so prior to our arrival.

Pricetag
5/24/2010, 10:42 PM
Sweet! I can watch it after AWA wrestling.

1890MilesToNorman
5/25/2010, 06:56 AM
Shoot i missed it, was this the game where about 250 points were scored?

Mad Dog Madsen
5/25/2010, 08:15 AM
They played about 3 times in the late 80's. 88-90 if memory serves correctly. I think there was about 250 points scored in each of those! lol.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/25/2010, 10:21 AM
Tonight, at midnight, on ESPN Classic you have one of the wildest OU games in history. From the fall of 1989, it's the running and gunning Sooners of Jackie Jones, William "Cheese" Davis and Skeeter Henry, against the "when in doubt, shoot" mad bombers from Loyola Marymount with Bo Kimble, Jeff Fryer and Terrell Lowery.

Note: Hank Gathers did not play in the game. He collapsed the first time about a week or so prior to our arrival.

oh jackie jones...I missed you so much...and you too William Davis

Sooner24
5/25/2010, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I got it recorded to watch this weekend. Here's what I will look like watching it. :pop:

What a fun team to watch. We rolled through the Big 8 tournament and finished the regular season ranked #1.

At the airport in KC, after the tournament, we went through the metal detector (man it sure used to be easier flying but I digress) when Barry Switzer set off the detector. They had him take off his belt and he still set it off. Watch, rings, and everything else he could remove with metal and he still set off the alarm. Finally they had he remove his shoes (yes, there was a day when you could get in the airport with your shoes on) and he passed through fine. Seems there was some kind of metal in the soles of his shoes. Got to hold the Big 8 Championship trophy and get my picture made with it and flew home that night with Barry Switzer, Billy Tubbs and the #1 team basketball team in the country.

NMSooner'80
5/25/2010, 01:05 PM
Shoot i missed it, was this the game where about 250 points were scored?

Final was 136-121 (OU's favor). Skeeter Henry had a 31-point second half en route to 41 for the game. My brother was in residency (after med school) out west and got to see that game in person.

C&CDean
5/25/2010, 02:26 PM
It'll be worth watching just to see the kids' reaction to the shorts. One of my kids not too long ago goes "Michael Jordan never wore those short-shorts." I go "wanna bet" and showed him some MJ video with him in hot-pants. The kids can't believe anybody ever wore anything other than those stupid damn-near-to-the-ankle "shorts" they wear these days.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/25/2010, 02:30 PM
I still wear mine with a nice polo when I go to the wal marts

C&CDean
5/25/2010, 02:37 PM
"The People of the Walmarts - McAlester edition..."

bri
5/25/2010, 05:23 PM
Actually, MJ was the one who first started the longer shorts. But yeah, the crap they wear now is ridiculous.

Pricetag
5/25/2010, 06:35 PM
oh jackie jones...I missed you so much...and you too William Davis
Damn, Jones was smooth.

Pricetag
6/5/2010, 11:58 AM
I forgot what an outstanding ball handler William Davis was for a big guy.

And somehow, I have no memory of Harris, number 20. I remember all the rest of the guys but him.

OUmillenium
6/8/2010, 09:52 AM
Harris rarely played, I was surprised ot see him get in as much as he did this game. JJ and some others were in foul trouble I guess..

OUmillenium
6/8/2010, 09:53 AM
+ it was early in the season, I think their 5th game. Smokey would take over the guard spot oppo Terry Evans as the season went on.