PDA

View Full Version : Bret Easton Ellis... Who reads him? What have you read? What do you think?

the_ouskull
5/24/2010, 06:07 PM
I've been beating his books up lately. I read The Informers today. Yes, today. I started this morning, and finished it around 2:30 or so. Decent read, but confusing. It's supposed to be a loose sequel to Less Than Zero, but it really just kind of takes place in the same world. I'm going to scope out the movie next.

His works, while all (that I've read) very good, also seem to translate well to the screen, except for the aforementioned Less Than Zero. To do that one correctly, it'd take a little more than Marek Kanievska and Harley Peyton to bring that one to life. I think that Ellis would have had to have written the screenplay himself... or hired someone as sick-minded as me to do it. :D

(How come no movies that could stand to be re-made are being re-made? The Karate Kid, while 80's cornball crap, is still watchable. Do we really need Karate Kid Black 2010?)

Anyway, I've just been in a mood, and I was wondering if anybody else in here:

1) Reads.
2) Reads Ellis.
3) Thinks about it after they read it, assuming that both 1 and 2 already apply.

So, what's up, Soonerfans? Are you literate, or will this sink to the bottom like Herr and Lid posted it?

the_ouskull

yermom
5/24/2010, 06:17 PM
all i remember about Less than Zero is the Bangles cover of Hazy Shade of Winter that i didn't even know was a cover back then

what is this "book" you speak of?

the_ouskull
5/24/2010, 06:17 PM
I loved that cover. It was about the only good thing that came from that movie, honestly...

the_ouskull

KC//CRIMSON
5/24/2010, 06:19 PM
Haven't read the book, but the movie version of The Informers was horrible.

I mean, if there's such a thing as "epic win" in *uck-ups, that would be it.

CatfishSooner
5/24/2010, 06:23 PM
i really enjoyed The Rules of Attraction...good movie too. Also, you gotta love American Psycho...
the main character (guy) in Rules is the brother of the crazy guy in American Psycho...
I wasn't a big fan of Less Than Zero though

the_ouskull
5/24/2010, 06:24 PM
Well, Imperial Bedrooms is the official sequel to Less Than Zero. The Informers - the book version - is just a collection of short stories from the same era, with some of the same names and places. I love the cast for The Informers, but I'm scared to death to watch it. The book was hard enough to follow. I don't know what the movie will be like. I guess I'll see soon enough. I just need to get goooooood and drunk first. Give me fifteen minutes or so. Now, where did I put the absinthe...?

the_ouskull

royalfan5
5/24/2010, 06:31 PM
I've enjoyed his books much more than the movie versions.

CatfishSooner
5/24/2010, 07:12 PM
I thought The Rules of Attraction was a good movie...American Psycho was OK

sooneron
5/24/2010, 09:22 PM
Read Less Than Zero, Psycho, and Rules. Yes, I have read three of his books and I can say that I'm not a big fan of his. I keep expecting to either "get it" or just find it somewhere above meh. Not sure if it's his prose style or what. Just not a fan.

the_ouskull
5/24/2010, 09:53 PM
See? I get that, too, though. His style is part of the appeal for me, just because it's very different. But The Informers was TOO disjointed, it was like he was trying too hard to be himself. I still haven't watched the movie, either. I decided against getting drunk enough. NBA it is.

Of those three that you mentioned, I think that Rules was the easiest read for me, followed by LTZ, and then Psycho. I'm re-reading Psycho right now, and it's soooo hard to re-read, but I keep f*ckin' doin' it... It's hard because I just want to get to the middle/end already; the "good part," if you will.

I should start a f*cked-up book club.

the_ouskull

sooneron
5/25/2010, 07:47 AM
I don't think I have ever read a book as quickly as LTZ.

Position Limit
5/25/2010, 12:13 PM
i read american psycho recently. while i did enjoy it, i think the movie was much better than the book. rare occasion for that. in fact i loved the movie.

Frozen Sooner
5/25/2010, 12:16 PM
I like a lot of his stuff, but I think Pahlahniuk covers about the same ground more effectively.