PDA

View Full Version : Martin Garnder passes

Leroy Lizard
5/23/2010, 05:13 PM
Okay, he wasn't a famous rocker or baseball player, but it still is a noteworthy passing.

Okie too.

Martin Gardner, 95, math and science writer, dies

(AP) – 15 hours ago

NORMAN, Okla. — Prolific mathematics and science writer Martin Gardner, known for popularizing recreational mathematics and debunking paranormal claims, died Saturday. He was 95.

Gardner died Saturday after a brief illness at Norman Regional Hospital, said his son James Gardner. He had been living at an assisted living facility in Norman.

Martin Gardner was born in 1914 in Tulsa, Okla., and earned a bachelor's degree in philosophy at the University of Chicago.

He became a freelance writer, and in the 1950s wrote features and stories for several children's magazines. His creation of paper-folding puzzles led to his publication in Scientific American magazine, where he wrote his "Mathematical Games" column for 25 years.

The column introduced the public to puzzles and concepts such as fractals and Chinese tangram puzzles, as well as the work of artist M.C. Escher.

Allyn Jackson, deputy editor of Notices, a journal of the American Mathematical Society, wrote in 2005 that Gardner "opened the eyes of the general public to the beauty and fascination of mathematics and inspired many to go on to make the subject their life's work."

Jackson said Gardner's "crystalline prose, always enlightening, never pedantic, set a new standard for high quality mathematical popularization."

The mathematics society awarded him its Steele Prize for Mathematical Exposition in 1987 for his work on math, particularly his Scientific American column.

"He was a renaissance man who built new ideas through words, numbers and puzzles," his son, a professor of special education at the University of Oklahoma, told The Associated Press.

Gardner also became known as a skeptic of the paranormal and wrote columns for Skeptical Inquirer magazine. He wrote works debunking public figures such as psychic Uri Geller, who gained fame for claiming to bend spoons with his mind.

Most recently he wrote a feature published in Skeptical Inquirer's March/April on Oprah Winfrey's New Age interests.

Former magician James Randi, now a writer and investigator of paranormal claims, paid tribute to Gardner on his website Saturday, calling his colleague and longtime friend "a very bright spot in my firmament."

He ended his Scientific American column in 1981 and retired to Hendersonville, N.C. Gardner continued to write, and in 2002 moved to Norman, where his son lives.

Gardner wrote more than 50 books.

Gardner was preceded in death by his wife, Charlotte. Besides James Gardner, he is survived by another son, Tom, of Asheville, N.C.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Curly Bill
5/23/2010, 05:16 PM
Recreational mathematics...:confused:

Leroy Lizard
5/23/2010, 05:19 PM
Yeah, like Sudoku. Gardner was famous for his puzzles and brain teasers. (Olevet, here is a great chance for an insult!)

Gardner was one of my favorite mathematicians because of his skeptical inquiry. You could always count on James Randi or Gardner to put the screws to the weirdos. (Olevet, here is another great chance for an insult!)

StoopTroup
5/23/2010, 05:23 PM
You going to the funeral?

Leroy Lizard
5/23/2010, 05:35 PM
No. Why would I?

olevetonahill
5/23/2010, 05:36 PM
So , Are we possed to Cry over an Obscure mathematician ?
Is My life affected by his croakin ?
Why are you postin this Inane BS who cares ?

Kinda what you said awhile back :pop: :rolleyes:

SoonerInKCMO
5/23/2010, 05:36 PM
I used to subscribe to Skeptical Inquirer; always enjoyed Gardner's writings there. I went to the library earlier today and borrowed "Time Travel and Other Mathematical Bewliderments" and "Are Universes Thicker Than Blackberries" - should be good reading.

olevetonahill
5/23/2010, 05:37 PM
Oh May he RIP

SoonerInKCMO
5/23/2010, 05:39 PM
Is My life affected by his croakin ?
Why are you postin this Inane BS who cares ?

Kinda what you said awhile back :pop: :rolleyes:

Obscure? I don't think so. He wasn't a great theoritician or anything but he did a lot to popularize recreational math and the debunking of new age/paranormal/generally wack ideas.

olevetonahill
5/23/2010, 05:40 PM
Obscure? I don't think so. He wasn't a great theoritician or anything but he did a lot to popularize recreational math and the debunking of new age/paranormal/generally wack ideas.

Hush You
Ima dickin with Limptard :D :pop:

StoopTroup
5/23/2010, 05:45 PM
No. Why would I?

He was your favorite.

Dude...you gotta go honor your favorite.

Leroy Lizard
5/23/2010, 05:48 PM

I'm not. His death affects me not at all.

But I think it's newsworthy. After all, he was one of the most famous mathematicians in the U.S. (maybe even the most famous) and he was from Oklahoma.

StoopTroup
5/23/2010, 05:48 PM
he did a lot to popularize recreational math and the debunking of new age generally wack ideas.

To bad he's gone...we could have used him to debunk a whole bunch of Leroid's stuff.

olevetonahill
5/23/2010, 05:51 PM
I'm not. His death affects me not at all.

But I think it's newsworthy. After all, he was one of the most famous mathematicians in the U.S. (maybe even the most famous) and he was from Oklahoma.

But, But, But.
You said awhile back that Folks shouldnt care about Folks that died!
So which is it Limptard ? :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
5/23/2010, 05:53 PM
To bad he's gone...we could have used him to debunk a whole bunch of Leroid's stuff.

ST mebe we can Prop the old boy up and have a " Party at Marties"
Kinda like that show " Party at Bernie's":D

StoopTroup
5/23/2010, 06:00 PM
http://www.mathematik.uni-bielefeld.de/~bak/thom.html

SoonerInKCMO
5/23/2010, 06:03 PM
Hush You
Ima dickin with Limptard :D :pop:

Oh, well carry on then. ;)

olevetonahill
5/23/2010, 06:09 PM
Oh, well carry on then. ;)

Thank you :D

Ya remember when limptard was bitchin about us sayin RIP fer some one a few months back. Just gettin back at his ignarant azz:D

StoopTroup
5/23/2010, 06:13 PM
Memory loss can be an ugly thing.

Leroy Lizard
5/23/2010, 07:48 PM
But, But, But.
You said awhile back that Folks shouldnt care about Folks that died!

I don't.

Didn't I already say that?

olevetonahill
5/23/2010, 08:05 PM
I don't.

Didn't I already say that?

So why ya post this ? :confused: :pop:

Leroy Lizard
5/23/2010, 08:12 PM
Because it's newsworthy?

olevet, you're trying to dig up controversy where there is none. Just relax a little.