PDA

View Full Version : Homey , a Humming bird ?

olevetonahill
5/23/2010, 03:56 PM
How many have shown up at yer shack ?

There are just a few here . Ive went to just filling the feeders up 1/2 way cause it ferments stronger than the OVJ if i do the whole qt.

Okla-homey
5/23/2010, 07:52 PM
How many have shown up at yer shack ?

There are just a few here . Ive went to just filling the feeders up 1/2 way cause it ferments stronger than the OVJ if i do the whole qt.

Not a one yet. :(

I'm thinking they must have stayed in Mexico this year or sumpin'

olevetonahill
5/23/2010, 07:59 PM

I dont unnerstan it
This time last year I was filling the dayum things up about every 3 days
Now I just cut it down .

I'm thinking they must have stayed in Mexico this year or sumpin
Prolly skeered to cross the Rio grand :D what with the new Laws and such :D :cool:

Curly Bill
5/23/2010, 08:01 PM

Maybe they can't find enough work to bring em up this way?

olevetonahill
5/23/2010, 08:03 PM
Maybe they can't find enough work to bring em up this way?

Either that or they caint afford the Pesos that a coyote wants to get em across:pop:

Curly Bill
5/23/2010, 08:05 PM
Maybe the American humming birds are desperate enough to take the low paying jobs that normally goes to the messican humming birds?

Curly Bill
5/23/2010, 08:07 PM
Maybe the American humming birds are desperate enough to take the low paying jobs that normally goes to the messican humming birds?

OK, I now realize that this doesn't make any damn sense after remembering the original point of the thread was that Vet wasn't seeing any humming birds!!!! :mad:

American or messican. :P

olevetonahill
5/23/2010, 08:16 PM
OK, I now realize that this doesn't make any damn sense after remembering the original point of the thread was that Vet wasn't seeing any humming birds!!!! :mad:

American or messican. :P

Dumas , Ima seeing a few. Just not as many as years past :eek:

Curly Bill
5/23/2010, 08:17 PM
Dumas , Ima seeing a few. Just not as many as years past :eek:

Ok...whew, guess it is American humming birds you're seeing then.

Maybe I should just call it a night? :P

olevetonahill
5/23/2010, 08:20 PM
Ok...whew, guess it is American humming birds you're seeing then.

Maybe I should just call it a night? :P

Naw yer Ok
these little bastages Go all the way to Bra zill then try to cross all those borders to make it back :D

Curly Bill
5/23/2010, 08:21 PM
What they go to Brazil for...Carnival? :D

olevetonahill
5/23/2010, 08:22 PM
Wait a Minute CB
Iffen they Messican birds maybe I need to put some Taco mix in the water feeder !
What ya think ?

Curly Bill
5/23/2010, 08:22 PM
Wait a Minute CB
Iffen the Messican birds maybe I need to put some Taco mix in the water feeder !
What ya think ?

Genius! :D

olevetonahill
5/23/2010, 08:23 PM
What they go to Brazil for...Carnival? :D

If they do Ima see if I caint book passage fer Both of us this Fall :hot: :D

Curly Bill
5/23/2010, 08:25 PM
If they do Ima see if I caint book passage fer Both of us this Fall :hot: :D

Take em some OVJ, you'd be a hit. :D

badger
5/24/2010, 08:37 AM
Nah, they're everywhere. You definitely should not fill up a feeder entirely, especially if it gets any direct sunlight. Sugar water = not good in heat forever.

I recommend getting some red/pink flowers in your yard to attract them. I only filled their feeder this weekend and they've been buzzing around from the petunias, dianthus, impatiens and begonias

BudSooner
5/24/2010, 10:31 AM
I saw some in Tulsa last spring but I guess they don't care for the place here, i've yet to see any at all so far.

badger
5/24/2010, 11:05 AM
I saw some in Tulsa last spring but I guess they don't care for the place here, i've yet to see any at all so far.

Hummingbirds hate orange cones and street construction as much as the people who live in Tulsa :D

As long as we have a bird watching thread going, here's what you can expect in Tulsa this time of year and how to get them to your backyard:

1- Goldfinches. Unlike most of the year, this is mating season for the male finches, so they'll be bright yellow. Alas, as the summer months pass, they'll turn the more bland brown/yellow color that the females are. Till then, enjoy their bright feathers while they last.

Protip: Finch feeder sock with thistle. The pictures on the feeder package don't lie - those things will attract a lot of finches at once.

2- Purple finches. Despite their name, they're actually Sooner red. A beautiful crimson color. You'll love em, and they're everywhere in Tulsa, despite this being Poke country!

Protip: Finch sock will work for them too, but they'll eat practically any type of bird seed, like sunflowers or some wild bird blend like Scotts is trying to promote.

3- House sparrows. They almost looks like little raccoon-faced birds, but have brown stripes on their gray faces. A little bit bland looking and quite abundant.

Protip: Will eat anything, just like purple finches.

4- Robins. Yes, they're everywhere, and yes, they dress in burnt orange, but hey, doesn't everyone that dresses in burnt orange eat worms from the dirt?

Protip: Stay away from their nests, or get prepared to get squaked at, and possibly attacked.

5- Cardinals. Beautiful red and yellow birds. Welcome em to your backyard and they'll stop by frequently the entire year.

Protip: Kernel corn or sunflower seeds.

6- Blue jays. The bully birds that look beautiful will eat tons of bugs and make a lot of noise.

Protip: I swear they're eating my grass seed, so if you're trying to get a lawn to grow, use a variety that is anti-bird, like Scotts.

7- Starlings/Grackles. If you see a large blackbird with a metallic green/purple/blue head that shimmers in the sun, it's a grackle. If it's smaller and has spots on its back, it's a starling.

Protip: Suet, sunflower seeds, grass seed. Starlings will try to impersonate woodpeckers by climbing trees and eating suet. Very cute. Grackles are just big and annoying, really.

8- Downy woodpeckers. Cute little black/white striped birds with a speck of red above their eyes, these guys move one hop at a time up and down a tree.

Protip: They eat suet.

9- Squrrel. These mysterious birds do not fly like their ostrich cousins, have big fluffy tails and never stop eating.

Protip: If you don't have a few husky/shepherd mix mutts to keep these uppity squirrels out of your yard, or you find them cute, they will eat kernel corn (favorite), suet (second favorite), sunflower seeds (third favorite) or even settle for the wild mix seed or grass seed. I only feed these guys because the dogs love them. They really are gluttonous pigs that will become hawk food after stuffing their cheeks.

badger
5/24/2010, 12:45 PM
Just for fun... more backyard stuff!

10- Butterflies. Never before this year have I seen so many butterflies in my backyard... but then again, I haven't gotten as many bright flowers back there. Previous years have been (a) plant bulbs, then (b) wait for months.

Protip: Annuals go on sale at Lowe's frequently by May as they try to stuff that looks a little dry or a little dead out. If it has any green in it, it's worth saving. If it has green AND buds on it, you have a winner!

11- Brown thrashers - If you see a little brown-backed bird with an off-white belly and black speckles on front, you have brown thrashers. These bug eaters love suet, perhaps because bugs also love suet. They will hop around your lawn as much as your suet feeders and much better than a different brown bird.

Protip: If you have brown-headed birds with black bodies, you have the fiend of all colorful and beautiful birds, the dreaded cowbird. Don't feed em, don't encourage em and if you're really anti-cowbird, check your yard's nests for their white speckled eggs.

yermom
5/24/2010, 01:04 PM
i'm pretty sure it's illegal to have humming birds as pets, guys

Curly Bill
5/24/2010, 05:21 PM
i'm pretty sure it's illegal to have humming birds as pets, guys

If they cross the border illegally all bets are off. :P

yermom
5/24/2010, 05:32 PM
you really can't, and i'm not saying i agree with it. it's just that bird law in this country—it's not governed by reason.

badger
5/24/2010, 05:50 PM
After Harry Potter made pet owls famous, some people were apparently trapping them to keep in cages for pets. The author had to tell kiddos that owls were not meant for pets and that it was cruel to try to cage em.

Trying to keep a hummingbird for a pet? That's like trying to keep a poisoned dart for a pet - one that is self-propelled and extremely territorial. Seriously - hummingbirds are kings of the yard. You can tick off dive-bombing swallows and sqwack-sqwack robins, but DO NOT PIZZ OFF A HUMMINGBIRD. You will be blind in t-minus 10...