PDA

View Full Version : U.S. to reinstate assault weapons ban?

MR2-Sooner86
5/22/2010, 08:03 AM
Calderon urges U.S. to reinstate assault weapons ban (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100521/us_nm/us_mexico_usa_2#mwpphu-container)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Mexican President Felipe Calderon urged Congress on Thursday to reinstate a ban on assault weapons to help cut cross-border gun smuggling and reduce drug gang violence for its southern neighbor.

In a speech to a joint session of Congress, Calderon described efforts to fight organized crime in Mexico, where 23,000 people have been killed in drug violence since he came to power in late 2006 and launched an army offensive.
Washington is also aiding Mexico's battle against drug gangs with a 2007 pledge of $1.4 billion for equipment and police training to help fight the cartels that ship some $40 billion worth of illegal drugs north each year.

The drug violence has become a major political test for Calderon and a growing worry for Washington and foreign investors as violence has spread across the southwest border.

"There is one issue where Mexico needs your cooperation. And that is stopping the flow of assault weapons and other deadly arms across the border," Calderon said to a standing ovation from U.S. lawmakers.
Calderon said the increase in violence in Mexico had coincided with the 2004 lifting of a U.S. assault weapons ban.

The 10-year ban on the sale of assault weapons to civilians expired without being extended by Congress.

Attorney General Eric Holder has said the administration favors reinstituting the ban, though guns rights groups oppose it.

Calderon said he respects Americans' Second Amendment right to bear arms but said many of the guns are getting into the hands of criminals.

SEIZING GUNS

Mexico has seized around 75,000 guns and assault weapons in the last three years, Calderon said. He said more than 80 percent of them came from the United States and noted there were more than 7,000 gun shops along the border.

"I would ask Congress to help us, with respect, and to understand how important it is for us that you enforce current laws to stem the supply of these weapons to criminals and consider reinstating the assault weapons ban," he said.

Though Calderon's request received applause and a standing ovation from mainly Democratic lawmakers, Republicans criticized the Mexican leader for discussing U.S. laws.

"It was inappropriate for President Calderon to lecture Americans on our own state and federal laws," said Senator John Cornyn, a member of the Republican leadership. "Moreover, the Second Amendment is not a subject open for diplomatic negotiation, with Mexico or any other nation."
On immigration -- a common theme during his visit to Washington -- Calderon said his country was trying to improve economic conditions so Mexicans would not feel the need to leave their country in order to succeed.

He said Mexico expected more than 4 percent growth this year, even though data released on Thursday showed the economy shrank quarter-on-quarter in the first quarter of this year.

Millions of people are still crossing the U.S. border illegally to seek work. An estimated 10.8 million illegal immigrants live in the United States, most of them from Mexico and Central America.

Calderon repeated his opposition to a new Arizona law that requires police to check the immigration status of anyone they suspect is in the country illegally.

"We must find together a better way to face and fix this common problem," he said.

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.
"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1)

I have no idea who the bigger choad is, Mexico's president, the current administration, or dumb asses who support this rigoddamndiculous bill.

P.S. **** the Brady Campaign!

Breadburner
5/22/2010, 08:04 AM
Yes its our fault....

Okla-homey
5/22/2010, 09:26 AM
The devil is, as per usual in these debates, in the details. To wit, precisely WTF is an "assault weapon?"

I think we can safely assume it is a long-gun of some kind, and not a handgun.

That's where a common definition of the term "assault weapon" breaks down.

Is my pump-action shotgun which can fire five rounds of 00 buckshot in under 12 seconds an "assault weapon." I could certainly assault you or a place with it.

Is an "assault weapon" any non-bolt action rifle?

Is it any auto-loading rifle? I hope not. I own an auto-loading .22 with which I can shoot a dozen .22 rounds downrange in less than 10 seconds. Not very scary because I'd have to hit you in the head or neck to drop you with that pea-shooter.

But wait, what about my M-1? I can empty its eight (8) .30-06 round magazine as fast as I can pull the trigger...which is pretty fast.

What about my auto-loading shotgun. As a Native Okie, I am the proud owner of the un-official Okie shotgun, the Browning A-5. It can fire five rounds of 12 gauge goodness as fast as I can pull the trigger. Which again, is pretty fast.

No matter. Lord knows we must ban "assault weapons," WhateverTF they are, because everyone knows "assault weapons" are killers. And banning them will guarentee crooks, creeps, narcos and other bad guys are denied "assault weapons" and the evile power they furnish all who have access to them. Because we know, crooks, creeps, narcos, etc. would not dream of violating US gun laws.

In short folks. Those who seek to outlaw ownership/possesion/use of "assault weapons" and bans on same, are just anti-gun idealogues who have no idea WTF they seek to ban, but just know they hate guns and castigate this mysterious and impossible to precisely define class of firerms because it is somehow PC to do so.

F@3k El Presidente Calderone, and all his anti-gun demagogue fellow travelers.

MR2-Sooner86
5/22/2010, 09:40 AM
precisely WTF is an "assault weapon?"

This is what the bill said "assault weapons" were. (http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Assault_weapons_ban_(USA))

The law created a definition of assault weapon: Certain models (all of which apply to only semi-automatic weapons), such as the Colt AR-15, TEC-9, all Kalashnikovs (including the AK-47), Uzi, and others were banned by name; other weapons were banned for having certain features:

Semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines and two or more of:
folding or telescoping stock
conspicuous pistol grip
bayonet mount
flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
grenade launcher

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of:
magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or silencer
barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
unloaded weight of 50 oz or more
a semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm
(all but the last pistol feature are found in the pre-ban TEC-9, the probable inspiration for that section of the law)

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of:
folding or telescoping stock
pistol grip
capacity of more than 5 rounds
detachable magazine

Leroy Lizard
5/22/2010, 09:45 AM
Bayonet mount. LOL!

delhalew
5/22/2010, 09:47 AM
The "assault weapons" ban that previously existed was a joke. It prohibited things like having to many accessories on your rifle, capacity of magazines, ect.

2nd of all, Caulderon is lying. 80 percent of the weapons he seizes do not come from the US. These weapons are easier to get elsewhere than they are in the States. He doesn't want to discuss the corruption of his military and police, and how that relates to these weapons being in the wrong hands.

Of course, the Obama administration is eating this up. They will do anything to knock down traditional freedoms, and remnants of the "old" America that did not allow a federal government to run their lives.

By the way, the Mexican pres has no ****ing business addressing OUR legislature. Just one more thing to be disgusted by.

AlbqSooner
5/22/2010, 10:00 AM
If there weren't so many illegal messicans here sending assault weapons south, this would not be a problem.

We red blooded American's keep our assault weapons, we don't send em south.:D

PDXsooner
5/22/2010, 10:03 AM
I hope this doesn't impinge on my quest to purchase a tank.

Leroy Lizard
5/22/2010, 10:08 AM
No, your finances will likely take care of that.

delhalew
5/22/2010, 10:10 AM
I hope this doesn't impinge on my quest to purchase a tank.

I support your desire to own a tank. I merely request you don't drive it on public roads as the treads will destroy the road surface and you would pose a serious danger to pedestrians and motorists alike. If you would like to drive around in the country and blow **** up, I support you one hundred percent.

Leroy Lizard
5/22/2010, 10:37 AM
You need an operator's permit to drive a tank. Remember, driving a tank is only a privilege, not a right.

Leroy Lizard
5/22/2010, 10:41 AM
So, let me see if I have this right: If it looks like a cool prop in a movie, it's an assault weapon.

Does that sum it up?

Harry Beanbag
5/22/2010, 10:42 AM
Has a foreign leader ever taken a giant steaming dump in the Congressional chamber before? And the dems and some pubs even gave the jackhole a standing ovation for it. What happened to America?

delhalew
5/22/2010, 10:46 AM
Has a foreign leader ever taken a giant steaming dump in the Congressional chamber before? And the dems and some pubs even gave the jackhole a standing ovation for it. What happened to America?

It's a long list, but...

You can start with a century of revisionist history, and a systematic attack on the independent spirit of the American citizen.

StoopTroup
5/22/2010, 11:34 AM
I'm just glad I don't need to worry about them coming for my pistol. :D

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/41922/2390132910104322648S600x600Q85.jpg

Language NSFW

bvi6_Xgrk4A

StoopTroup
5/22/2010, 11:39 AM
FOR THOSE WHO LIKE TO ROCK!

:pop:

Rfj9xlj_v_A&feature=related

StoopTroup
5/22/2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah it's those damn America Assault rifles that are the problem...LMAO!

PZHNgQH1afw&feature=fvw

StoopTroup
5/22/2010, 11:45 AM
Oh yeah....better outlaw blueprints, and machine shops.

StoopTroup
5/22/2010, 11:46 AM
Better outlaw the Human Brain too.

Jacie
5/22/2010, 08:37 PM
If Presidente Calderon can stop the exportation of Mexican nationals w/o proper credentials across the border into the U.S., I bet most Americans would support such a ban . . .

StoopTroup
5/22/2010, 09:06 PM
I'd say we let them all come across as long as they agree to be bar-coded and have a small computer Lo-Jack installed behind their brain stem so that retrieval would cause instant death. :D ;)