PDA

View Full Version : Paul Thompson

Okla-homey
5/20/2010, 07:04 PM
I met Paul "Prime Time" Thompson today. I told him I thought he a displayed a great deal of character and commitment to his team when he stepped-up following the Bomar fiasco and did a great job that 2006 season, especially under the circumstances.

He'd probably heard it before, perhaps a bunch of times, but not from me.

He was very gracious and nice.

That is all.

Crimson Kid
5/20/2010, 08:05 PM
Cool. Love PT Great sooner and person.

OU-HSV
5/20/2010, 08:18 PM
Paul is awesome, one of my favorite Sooners in my lifetime so far.
My son and I each have personalized autographs from him...those will be kept forever.

yermom
5/20/2010, 08:22 PM
what is he doing now?

PLaw
5/20/2010, 08:26 PM
Class act - what a great examples for those that follow.

BOOMER

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2010, 08:52 PM
what is he doing now?

he was spending some time down here in mcalester trying to help a local guy promote an energ drink being made here..he called me about a month ago wanting to meet me for lunch and discuss some business aspects of it..when he called he said this is Paul Thompson and I told him I don't know a Paul Thompson.. He started laughing and said chris said you was a
sooner fan... I immediately went to apologizing

soonerboomer93
5/20/2010, 10:34 PM
Paulwned

OKC-SLC
5/20/2010, 11:53 PM
ENwned

diegosooner
5/20/2010, 11:58 PM
Thowned

sooner518
5/21/2010, 06:16 AM
did he tell you where you could get a Sooner ringtone?

stoopified
5/21/2010, 07:13 AM
when he called he said this is Paul Thompson and I told him I don't know a Paul Thompson.. He started laughing and said chris said you was a
sooner fan... I immediately went to apologizingOh the HORROR,how can you ever live that down? :D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 08:01 AM
I dunno...when we did meet up, I apologized some more and he just smiled and laughed...

Mad Dog Madsen
5/21/2010, 08:25 AM
Awesome! I got the chance to meet him in person as well. Very classy! He autographed a football for me and he also let me take a pic of his Big XII Championship ring which is HUGE by the way...

hgarmorer
5/21/2010, 08:33 AM
That what she said

Leroy Lizard
5/21/2010, 08:59 AM
Ha! Ha! Ha! This is unreal.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/21/2010, 09:26 AM
I knew that was coming as soon as I typed that! lol.

NormanPride
5/21/2010, 09:43 AM
Paul is one of my favorite Sooners. :) You guys are lucky!

Wishboned
5/21/2010, 09:47 AM
I wish every Sooner that came through Norman had PT's attitude and work ethic. Fortunately for us, his attitude is the rule, and not the exception.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 09:50 AM
There is a local home health company that hires OU football players to come do publicity stuff down here..and working in the health service, its not uncommon to run into those guys...PT has done some work for em, Rufus Alexander, of course Jamelle, DJ Wolfe, Jason White...seem to run into those guys a lot down here...

Leroy Lizard
5/21/2010, 09:55 AM
There is a local home health company that hires OU football players to come do publicity stuff down here..and working in the health service, its not uncommon to run into those guys...PT has done some work for em, Rufus Alexander, of course Jamelle, DJ Wolfe, Jason White...seem to run into those guys a lot down here...

Of course, Jamelle? Does this service hand out medical marijuana?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 09:57 AM
he hands out domestic beat downs and alchohol with car keys

He lived next door to me for a while...quite a few stories I could tell...

But I the talk I had with him after the Steve McNair death was pretty long and serious...I preached him a mini message

Mad Dog Madsen
5/21/2010, 10:05 AM
...I also have Jamelle's autograph. He spoke at a friends graduation. It was quite a surprise to see him there. The school never said anything about it. Apparently he is close friends with the superintendent there. Just thought I'd share that.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 10:10 AM
That dude has a lot of connections...and he makes friends very easy....

boomermagic
5/21/2010, 10:57 AM
Yeah, Jamelle was down here in Wilburton a few days ago.. I had lunch with him a while back and we talked about him staying out of trouble.. He's a good guy but he needs to concentrate on his issues..

the_edge
5/21/2010, 07:34 PM
Somebody seriously needs to ask PT if he knows what ENA means.

diegosooner
5/22/2010, 01:03 PM
Paul ended up being a much better passer than I ever thought he would be. But I don't think he ever developed into the runner/scrambler that I was anticipating. Maybe the coaches didn't stress that with him.

yermom
5/22/2010, 01:18 PM
i remember Chuck Long saying he wanted to use him that way before JW decided to come back in 2004

StoopTroup
5/22/2010, 01:50 PM
Good Thread Homester.

oumartin
5/23/2010, 07:59 PM
I remember seeing paul run down the sideline in mop up duty one year and he seemed very fast. Once he was a starter and was more of a drop back passer he seemed to lose that speed he once possessed. Of course maybe he looked fast due to the compitition at that moment

gaylordfan1
5/24/2010, 08:19 AM
Stoops pretty much took his legs away as a threat. Not really Bobs style I guess.

goingoneight
5/24/2010, 09:53 AM
Speed doesn't equate to being a good runner. It just means you're fast. PT never had the VY/Vick/McCoy kind of escapability nor the open field moves. People mistakenly labeled him the "dual threat" QB because of a few mop-up duty scrambles against poor defenses. And after JW's surgeries, anything that moved outside the pocket could have been considered a dual threat in comparison.

rawlingsHOH
5/24/2010, 10:14 AM
Stoops pretty much took his legs away as a threat. Not really Bobs style I guess.

They actually used his legs a lot, but it was to throw the football. A large percentage of our passing game that year was the sprint-out, including the memorable drive against NU.

Salt City Sooner
5/24/2010, 10:31 AM
IMO it wasn't a style thing as much as it was a depth thing. If Paul gets hurt that year, you're talking about either A) the holder (McEachern), B) an untested JUCO (Halzle) or C) a true freshman (Bradford) getting meaningful snaps. The situation necessitated that the #1 priority of the offense that year was to run the ball efficiently & keep Paul's jersey as clean as possible. In other words, be conservative & play to your defense. Considering the fact that that team for all intents & purposes played left handed the entire year thanks to the BRSI mess & still won the conference, I'd say it was pretty sound strategy, even if a few of those close games messed with my ticker a little more than I was used to. :)

It's never been Stoops M.O. to go VY on anybody or anything like that, but he's not been adverse to letting his QB run a bit here & there in the past when he's had one who could do so (i.e. Heupel's timely option plays, & White's scrambles before the knees gave way). This is something I think you'll see more of when Bell is ready to go, & by more, I mean a half dozen times or so per game (just enough to remind the defense "hey, we CAN do this if it's what you leave us").

goingoneight
5/24/2010, 11:34 AM
Running your QB is a high-risk situation in a pro-style offense. I would rather the guys use that athleticism and mobility as a last resort and learn how to run the offense properly like Heupel, White and Bradford did. For every VY running for the roses, there's a Colt McCoy running for the training room.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/24/2010, 11:36 AM
did anybody catch PT trying to run with the ball from the qb spot against tcu or after some of the catches he made at wr? it was very awkward and he would have got killed if he kept it up...He stood straight up when he ran and held the ball too far out....

Jello Biafra
5/24/2010, 01:30 PM
Somebody seriously needs to ask PT if he knows what ENA means.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140315

TMcGee86
5/24/2010, 01:37 PM
he was spending some time down here in mcalester trying to help a local guy promote an energ drink being made here..he called me about a month ago wanting to meet me for lunch and discuss some business aspects of it..when he called he said this is Paul Thompson and I told him I don't know a Paul Thompson.. He started laughing and said chris said you was a
sooner fan... I immediately went to apologizing

please tell me the drink is called Ebony Ninja Assassin... please tell me the drink is called Ebony Ninja Assassin... please tell me the drink is called Ebony Ninja Assassin...

*crosses fingers

stoops the eternal pimp
5/24/2010, 01:44 PM
if it was anything that cool, I woulda bought into it

picasso
5/26/2010, 01:34 PM
I shook his hand at Chili's back inna day. I knew dude could play when I noticed he was with 3 chicks.