PDA

View Full Version : OL & WRs

IronHorseSooner
5/20/2010, 11:59 AM
As many know, I am just getting back to civilization, and I was wondering what OUr OL will look like this year. Here's my take:

RT: Stephenson (they have him at LT, but my guess is that he ends up here)
RG: Mensik (he put on over 20 lbs, and my guess is that he will be around 290+ by the beginning of the season)
C: Habern (Hopefully, he can stay healthy)
LG: Good (Let's hope he plays up to his potential)
LT: Brandon (this is his best spot, and the experiment with him at RT was bad)

If there was anywhere that needs full and open competition, this is it.

As for WRs:

Slot: Broyles (can you say Biletnikoff?)
WR: Miller (match-up nightmare if he stays consistent)
WR: Stills (too good to keep off of the field)

ndpruitt03
5/20/2010, 12:31 PM
Our OL looks good if we don't have 85 injuries there. WRs aren't very deep but solid. Jaz Reynolds may be the 2nd best WR we have.

ouleaf
5/20/2010, 12:42 PM
RG: Mensik (he put on over 20 lbs, and my guess is that he will be around 290+ by the beginning of the season)

Still a little light for a Guard, but if he is the best at the position, then plug him in there.

BoulderSooner79
5/20/2010, 12:42 PM
I'm probably suffering from off-season optimism, but I think we will be pretty deep at WR with a lot of good competition to get playing time. Broyles and Miller are a given and everything is pointing to Stills getting on the field. I think Caleb was better last year than this board gives him credit for and he was dinged up a lot. Add in Reynolds and hopefully improvements from Kinney and there is a lot of upside. And all of them will look better if the O-line provide a bit more time for LJ (who should also be better). Another wildcard is getting more production from the TE to loosen things up for the WRs.

Soonerntxs
5/20/2010, 12:54 PM
OL looked great at the R&W game. The WRs were S---Hot & not many balls hit the ground; and this was one heck of a wet day.. The LBs stole the show & looks as though they are out for awards for 2010.

rawlingsHOH
5/20/2010, 12:54 PM
As for WRs:

Slot: Broyles (can you say Biletnikoff?)
WR: Miller (match-up nightmare if he stays consistent)
WR: Stills (too good to keep off of the field)

jaz reynolds

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2010, 12:57 PM
I don't like Mensik at a guard spot at all

Soonerntxs
5/20/2010, 01:00 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that FB Mousil, WOW! this guy will not be denied on 1st & goal stands, this I promise!

Soonerntxs
5/20/2010, 01:05 PM
Sorry all, I just got excited reading and went off on other positions other than OL & WR... I too look for S. Good to make a showing this year, as for the rest, lets just stay healthy...I think they all have great ability and teamwork and it appeared that all were in great physical shape.

ndpruitt03
5/20/2010, 01:06 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that FB Mousil, WOW! this guy will not be denied on 1st & goal stands, this I promise!

I don't know if you can really judge that much by that game. He played TB most of the game and while he did look good we've never really given the ball to our FB in real game situations since 2000 really. We've had some passes to FBs here and there but straight hand offs? Almost never.

Soonerntxs
5/20/2010, 01:24 PM
True, but I sure liked the speed & power he displayed up the middle.

NormanPride
5/20/2010, 01:36 PM
We'll have some good opportunities to give different looks at WR. We have an AA in Broyles easily, and both Miller and Reynolds have shown they can get down field. With Stills emerging, we could really take advantage of the different types of WRs we have.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2010, 01:46 PM
I don't know if you can really judge that much by that game. He played TB most of the game and while he did look good we've never really given the ball to our FB in real game situations since 2000 really. We've had some passes to FBs here and there but straight hand offs? Almost never.

this..remember when they used clapp as a rb in the spring and he did some damage...how many carries did he end up with again in the regular season?

SoonerShay
5/20/2010, 01:55 PM
this..remember when they used clapp as a rb in the spring and he did some damage...how many carries did he end up with again in the regular season?

As much as the fans complained about him getting carries against BYU, I thought everyone would remember the 3rd and long play he ran.

rawlingsHOH
5/20/2010, 02:22 PM
He'll never carry the ball. And by never I mean less than 5 times in a season, unless we see another one of those 77-0 A&M games.

babyruth
5/20/2010, 03:58 PM
if you had to pick...mark clayton or broyles?

NormanPride
5/20/2010, 04:03 PM
That's really tough. I'd go with Clayton because of his blocking ability, though.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2010, 04:20 PM
clayton stronger upper body for blocking and creating his own separation....and clayton with the ball in his hands was just as good or better than broyles

Collier11
5/20/2010, 04:29 PM
jaz reynolds

Caleb did well before getting hurt also

Collier11
5/20/2010, 04:30 PM
STEP is legit with the ball in his hands

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2010, 04:30 PM
cough bitch

Collier11
5/20/2010, 04:33 PM
After all of this talk of fingering Lance, I dont trust you

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2010, 04:35 PM
its performance enhancing

NormanPride
5/20/2010, 04:51 PM
STEP's fingers are illegal in 27 states.

Curly Bill
5/20/2010, 05:20 PM

If KW is giving the ball to the fullback on the goalline I'll supply the rope. ;)

gaylordfan1
5/20/2010, 09:27 PM
Miller and Jaz had a good showing in the bowl game.... and I think OUr WR group as a whole will be MUCH improved from last year. My only worry, with exception to Broyles, is that we haven't seen any of OUr WR's do anything with the ball after the catch. I'm hoping Stills may be this for us.

Curly Bill
5/20/2010, 10:10 PM
Miller and Jaz had a good showing in the bowl game.... and I think OUr WR group as a whole will be MUCH improved from last year. My only worry, with exception to Broyles, is that we haven't seen any of OUr WR's do anything with the ball after the catch. I'm hoping Stills may be this for us.

Greedy bastage! After last season I'll be happy if they just catch it. :D

gaylordfan1
5/20/2010, 10:18 PM
Greedy? Yes SIR! I'm a Sooner Fan!

gaylordfan1
5/20/2010, 10:20 PM
I see your point, but YAC is what makes offenses! Maybe 2008 spoiled me, but half dat YAC is all i'm asking for Curly!

diegosooner
5/20/2010, 11:56 PM
can't have too much depth on the line. Who's the backup center? Do we have any TEs that can move to center?

gaylordfan1
5/21/2010, 12:03 AM
Lepak and Ikard are the probable 2 and 3.

ndpruitt03
5/21/2010, 12:54 AM
Has it been announced if Madu is back at RB or still at WR?

gaylordfan1
5/21/2010, 01:14 AM
pretty sure he is back running with the backs. That doesn't mean that something isn't in the works with him at slot a time or two.

rawlingsHOH
5/21/2010, 08:58 AM
clayton stronger upper body for blocking and creating his own separation....and clayton with the ball in his hands was just as good or better than broyles

I'd take Clayton too. I think Broyles is actually stronger.

goingoneight
5/21/2010, 09:59 AM
Clayton's proven at the NFL level thus far.

NormanPride
5/21/2010, 10:07 AM
Well, at this point Broyles has done just about everything Clayton did at the collegiate level, except crush fools on blocking assignments.

rawlingsHOH
5/21/2010, 12:09 PM
Though if you measure at similar points in school. Broyles in a landslide. Clayton didn't blow up until his 4th year on campus.

ndpruitt03
5/21/2010, 12:17 PM
I remember Clayton having a lot of good games his freshman year with Jason White as the QB. Clayton didn't absolutely blowup till his 4th year, but he was really good when healthy all 4 years.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 12:22 PM
Look at the competition Clayton faced to get on the field vs. Broyles plus the competition for passes to be thrown their way...That was a spread it around offense and for broyles, there hasnt been a consistent threat to spread it around to other than him

ndpruitt03
5/21/2010, 12:25 PM
True. With Mark we had Brandon Jones, Mark Bradley, Trent Smith, Curtis Fagan, Antoine Savage, I'm sure I've forgotten others. When we had similar type talent Broyles first year he was like the 4th or 5th best receiver.

NormanPride
5/21/2010, 12:56 PM
Well, he probably would have seen the field, but he had the whole gas stealing incident/turf toe and had to sit the year out.

goingoneight
5/21/2010, 12:57 PM
Not really, the coaches just didn't use him as much with three seniors, a freak TE and two really good receiving backs all doing just fine in their own right.

NormanPride
5/21/2010, 01:32 PM
No doubt the team had tons of weapons, but the coaches said he would have seen the field. He was better than Chaney, who I believe was the #3 WR at the time behind Iggy and Manny. Especially when Manny went down for a while we could have used him.

BoulderSooner79
5/21/2010, 02:03 PM
Broyles had absolute breakout year last season and his story as a sooner is still incomplete. Also, I don't remember Clayton on punt returns and Broyles returns were a huge advantage to us last year. I'd still have to take Clayton, but could change my mind if Broyles has a repeat performance.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 02:07 PM
when clayton was here, OU had Antonio Perkins returning punts....it was probably best to let AP do his thing

rawlingsHOH
5/21/2010, 02:42 PM
I remember Clayton having a lot of good games his freshman year with Jason White as the QB. Clayton didn't absolutely blowup till his 4th year, but he was really good when healthy all 4 years.

Look at the competition Clayton faced to get on the field vs. Broyles plus the competition for passes to be thrown their way...That was a spread it around offense and for broyles, there hasnt been a consistent threat to spread it around to other than him

True. With Mark we had Brandon Jones, Mark Bradley, Trent Smith, Curtis Fagan, Antoine Savage, I'm sure I've forgotten others. When we had similar type talent Broyles first year he was like the 4th or 5th best receiver.

Broyles freshman year, with a loaded surrounding cast, was better than either of Clayton's first two years. He's ahead of the Clayton curve.

Remember, I said I like Clayton better, overall.

Broyles
2007 RS
2008 FR 46 - 687 - 6
2009 SO 89 - 1120 - 15

Clayton
2000 RS
2001 FR 45 - 519 - 3
2002 SO 26 - 416 - 5
2003 JR 83 - 1425 - 15
2004 SR 66 - 876 - 8

Collier11
5/21/2010, 02:46 PM
and Broyles best year was with a far worse team than Clayton ever played on

rawlingsHOH
5/21/2010, 02:47 PM
Broyles had absolute breakout year last season and his story as a sooner is still incomplete. Also, I don't remember Clayton on punt returns and Broyles returns were a huge advantage to us last year. I'd still have to take Clayton, but could change my mind if Broyles has a repeat performance.

Clayton was a good PR in spot duty. I recall him housing one in Stillwater.

NormanPride
5/21/2010, 02:50 PM
and Broyles best year was with a far worse team than Clayton ever played on

He also missed a couple games.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 02:59 PM
I see that your picking Clayton, but statistically comparing the two since the offenses those guys played in were so different is kind of an apples and oranges thing...that 2001 offense was horrible and the 2002 featured a starting quarterback replaced by a quarterback who got hurt that went back to the original qb....

as far as that curve i can agree with that..., I think it can also be agreed upon that Broyles was a much better raw athlete "out of the box"...the speed, moves, a lot of his game wasnt coached up...but as far as the intricacies of the game, the route running, creating your own separation, the fine points of the game, broyles isnt near that yet, which shows you what a natural athlete broyles was to find himself getting open without having those finer points down

rawlingsHOH
5/21/2010, 03:03 PM
Very true. Take individual statistics, in football, with a grain of salt!

Collier11
5/21/2010, 03:22 PM
Id say take individual stats in football over basketball any day. Sure it often depends on the personnel around you but a lot still has to happen for you to have a great year, alot more than in hoops

gaylordfan1
5/21/2010, 03:34 PM
Lets hope Broyles follows suit and stays his SR season like Clayton. One more year to get better, and one more year to help the team.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 03:37 PM
Couldnt disagree more as usual....in the right kind of offenses in football, your gonna have certain stats no matter what your talent is..a pass happy offense is gonna have gaudy quarteback, wr statistics..a running attack is gonna mean big rb statistics..or a high speed offense is just gonna have guady numbers period...in basketball your team can suck, your coach can suck, and still put up the numbers....if your good enough

rawlingsHOH
5/21/2010, 03:40 PM
I don't know nuttin about hoops, but my comment was made in comparsion to baseball, a stats game.

Collier11
5/21/2010, 03:42 PM
Couldnt disagree more as usual....in the right kind of offenses in football, your gonna have certain stats no matter what your talent is..a pass happy offense is gonna have gaudy quarteback, wr statistics..a running attack is gonna mean big rb statistics..or a high speed offense is just gonna have guady numbers period...in basketball your team can suck, your coach can suck, and still put up the numbers....if your good enough

Thats my point, in basketball 30ppg doesnt mean you are a great player, look at Gilbert Arenas.

In football, you have to be good to put up big stats. Look at Broyles YAC, nuff said.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 03:49 PM
uhm Gilbert arenas is a darn good basketball player..just a moron...

You do have to be good to put up those numbers in basketball..

in football you dont have to be good to put up those numbers if in the right system

ie..every texas tech quarterback....heck a couple of receivers had over 100 receptions in the big 12 that arent near the player broyles is...

Collier11
5/21/2010, 03:55 PM
Just cus they didnt equate to the NFL doesnt mean they werent good at Tech.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 03:56 PM
we are talking stats as far as being a measurable in the talent of a player or comparing players

Collier11
5/21/2010, 04:13 PM
and in college they were great. I would agree that Clayton was better than any receiver that Tech ever had outside of Crabtree or Welker though

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 04:13 PM
yeah because those stats dont equate better talent

Collier11
5/21/2010, 04:15 PM
Depends on the individual, its a system that benefits receivers but you still have to be able to run and catch and break tackles

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 04:22 PM
but if the system has you spread there is less tackles to break and who is tackling you is different

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 04:22 PM
31 TDs 19 Ints, 59 percent completion percentage

48 TDs 14 Ints, 72 percent completion percentage

15 TDs 5 Ints, 62 percent completion percentage

who is the most talented?

Collier11
5/21/2010, 04:23 PM
you talkin College or NFL, need the players names as well.

gaylordfan1
5/21/2010, 04:24 PM
I see both points and agree with both of you guys. Tech was a pass happy offense, so the QB and the WR's will have large numbers. But the QB does have to make the pass catchable and the WR does have to catch the ball and run after it.

Collier11
5/21/2010, 04:26 PM
Darius Heyward Bey, Mike Williams, Charles Rogers, etc... big diff between talent and being a good football player.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 04:30 PM
once again, the argument is thats stats in football are a more telling story of a players talent in football than other sports....and im saying people in the right systems are going to put up the stats regardless of whether they are the most talented or not in football compared to other sports..

you need names on those guys because the stats won't tell you who is the most talented

Collier11
5/21/2010, 04:31 PM
I think it is somewhat ambiguous is my point, big stats at the WR position for OU mean more than they do for Tech...

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 04:34 PM
agreed.. within the comparison we are making, the ou stats dont mean as much as each others because of the different offenses

thats were we started this at...2 different offenses you cant say those tell the tale in the 2 different systems clayton and broyles play/played in...

then you said the stats tell the story more in football than in any other sport...I told you your retarded and then you tried to kiss me

the stats in football don't tell the tale as much as baseball or basketball, because it takes more of an individual talent to hit 40 homeruns or score 30 a game than just to say I ran for a 1000 or caught for a 1000

Mad Dog Madsen
5/21/2010, 04:50 PM
agreed.. within the comparison we are making, the ou stats dont mean as much as each others because of the different offenses

thats were we started this at...2 different offenses you cant say those tell the tale in the 2 different systems clayton and broyles play/played in...

then you said the stats tell the story more in football than in any other sport...I told you your retarded and then you tried to kiss me

the stats in football don't tell the tale as much as baseball or basketball, because it takes more of an individual talent to hit 40 homeruns or score 30 a game than just to say I ran for a 1000 or caught for a 1000

Totally agree. You could use Graham Harrell as an example. Didn't he have back to back 5,000 yards passing (season) and not even get drafted? Speaking of Graham, I think I heard he's a coach or something on OSU's staff. Anybody heard that???

Collier11
5/21/2010, 04:51 PM
Agree with baseball, not as much with basketball...still think its easy to be on a bad team and put up big stats in basketball for an above avg player

rawlingsHOH
5/21/2010, 05:58 PM
you talkin College or NFL, need the players names as well.

talent is talent

rawlingsHOH
5/21/2010, 06:00 PM

no idea

we don't know...
a) the systems
b) the talent around them
c) the talent they're playing against

diegosooner
5/21/2010, 06:38 PM

insufficient info!

SOFSooner
5/21/2010, 06:40 PM
Welcome back to the world, I am getting ready to leave for another deployment so I get to watch Sooners on AFN again. Third time in four years, but I think that with the experience that OU players got on the offensive line and receivers last year will provide a huge dividend this season. I can't wait to see and hear OU stuffing the shorthorns and the rest of their schedule also and if everything plays out right to their eight national championship. Again welcome home.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2010, 10:12 PM
That's the point guys.. Stats don't tell the story..that's the reason I posted that way

Some of you are all about completion percentage and were all over Snead for throwing 20 ints,

The stop stat line is Matt Ryan, the middle is Graham Harrell, and the bottom is Tom brandstater..1 and 3 were good enough to make NFL rosters

Collier11
5/21/2010, 10:37 PM
I gotta be honest though, from a fans point of view I never thought Matt Ryan was as good as he is, I figured he would be somewhere between Kyle Boller and what Joe Flacco is now.

starclassic tama
5/22/2010, 12:44 AM
i think broyles is more explosive then clayton, even though that's kind of a bold statement...

delhalew
5/22/2010, 09:13 AM
That's the point guys.. Stats don't tell the story..that's the reason I posted that way

Some of you are all about completion percentage and were all over Snead for throwing 20 ints,

The stop stat line is Matt Ryan, the middle is Graham Harrell, and the bottom is Tom brandstater..1 and 3 were good enough to make NFL rosters

Looking mostly at completion percentage and td to int percentage, I was trying to decide who was better...Harrell or Brandstater. LMAO.

TXBOOMER
5/22/2010, 10:37 AM

Broyles is better with ball in his hands. He is quicker than Clayton. I loved Clayton but Broyles is a better college WR.

diegosooner
5/22/2010, 12:42 PM
Broyles is better with ball in his hands. He is quicker than Clayton. I loved Clayton but Broyles is a better college WR.

Broyles didn't have White as QB. There was something special about the White-Clayton duo.

BoulderSooner79
5/23/2010, 12:29 AM
Clayton always reminded me of a RB when he got the ball in the open. I always felt he could have started at RB if we didn't need him so much at WR. We could have used him the way the gators used Harvin - especially in '03 when we didn't have a dominant runner. Broyles looks more like a WR that is good in the open field, but I wouldn't see him taking handoffs from the backfield. I think we can all agree these are 2 guys that made us very happy by signing with the Sooners.