PDA

View Full Version : Waitress fired for griping about tip on FaceBook

Leroy Lizard
5/20/2010, 10:54 AM
Not sure where I stand on this one:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100517/BUSINESS/5170344/North-Carolina-waitress-fired-for-griping-about-tip-on-Facebook-page

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A North Carolina waitress is out of a job after griping on her Facebook page about the $5 tip she got from a couple who sat at their table for three hours. The waitress says the customers kept her at work an hour after she was supposed to clock out.

The Charlotte Observer reported Monday that 22-year-old Ashley Johnson felt slighted after waiting on the couple at Brixx Pizza.

So she blasted the couple on Facebook, calling them cheap and mentioning the restaurant by name.

Brixx officials told Johnson a couple of days later that she was being fired because she violated a company policy banning workers from speaking disparagingly about customers and casting the restaurant in a bad light on a social network.

Johnson says she has apologized to Brixx and is looking for a new job.

Harry Beanbag
5/20/2010, 11:08 AM
Sounds to me like she had every right to bitch about the time wasting selfish cheapskates and the restaurant had every right to fire her over it.

Stitch Face
5/20/2010, 11:29 AM
Sounds to me like she had every right to bitch about the time wasting selfish cheapskates and the restaurant had every right to fire her over it.

Agreed.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2010, 11:34 AM
People that post stuff on facebook/youtube and dont think it can come back to haunt them need to wake up

StoopTroup
5/20/2010, 12:17 PM
Yep. I'm a Hamster Killa on teh YouTube. :D

Sooner in Tampa
5/20/2010, 12:18 PM
People that post stuff on facebook/youtube and dont think it can come back to haunt them need to wake up
^^^ THIS

sooner59
5/20/2010, 12:20 PM
I don't think it should be this way, but in reality, you have to take things like that into consideration before posting. Because it will come back to haunt you. I don't think she should have been fired, though, if she didn't say any names.

Pricetag
5/20/2010, 12:29 PM
Pricetag likes this.

badger
5/20/2010, 12:38 PM
I absolutely love to read wait staff horror stories, because they remind me of the most rude and abusive customers I used to deal with back in retail. Waitresses have no control, you say. Little cashier can get angry but there's nothing she can do about it, you say.

After standing on concrete for eight hours because the other cashiers took 30 minute breaks instead of 15 so I don't get one, I learned MANY ways to get back at rude and abusive customers. The biggest one was if they needed special treatment (they didn't), I'd call the "no" manager instead of the "yes" manager (every store has a "no" manager).

It's fun to read how wait staff rebel on their lousy tippers and rude eaters. It usually involves getting them at the crappy tables :D

Scott D
5/20/2010, 12:47 PM
Considering that any company can fire any employee for what they may post on a) facebook, b) blogs, c)upload your own pron sites, and d) the 5 people that still use myspace this shouldn't be a real surprise.

All it takes is one person at your employer to see you post something negative specifically about the employer or a customer to get you in the firing line. There are better ways to go about it, and usually keeping the patrons and employer name out of it is the best route to take..at least then you can claim you wrote fiction if called on it.

badger
5/20/2010, 12:51 PM
Meh, employers can fire employees for a lot of reasons... for the reasons they cannot fire you for, they can usually find a more plausible reason to say outloud ("We are in a recession!") while thinking the questionable reason ("She exercised her First Amendment rights!")

soonervegas
5/20/2010, 12:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v1mp8X6EI0

This movie is so close to where I worked it is scary.

Scott D
5/20/2010, 12:58 PM
eh, to a degree you represent your employer when on a social networking site. It's interesting to see how many people totally forget that one, before they post 50 pictures of them being drunk out of their skull, or go into a profanity laced tirade over something.

Leroy Lizard
5/20/2010, 01:34 PM
After standing on concrete for eight hours because the other cashiers took 30 minute breaks instead of 15 so I don't get one, I learned MANY ways to get back at rude and abusive customers.

It sounds like you needed to focus your attention on getting even with your fellow cashiers.

Crucifax Autumn
5/20/2010, 01:37 PM
I have no comments on this particular article.

badger
5/20/2010, 01:43 PM
It sounds like you needed to focus your attention on getting even with your fellow cashiers.

Unlike the customers, I know what the cashiers' personal situations are so I can sympathize with them wanting a longer break. Unlike me, they're stuck at the job year-round. There's no college experience (with OU football!!!!!) to look forward to for them, no hope of getting a degree to get a better job and a better life.

There's a lot of single moms that are cashiers. Also, some younger girls that just didn't feel like staying in college or leaving their high school towns. A few are also retired who just wanted something to do. One was even a demoted head cashier that was doing a lot of things that she used to disallow regular cashiers from doing (taking longer breaks, mostly).

When a cashier is an arsehole, I understand why, so I'm just like "only a few more weeks/months," grin and bear it. However, when a customer is an arsehole, I wonder - "What did I ever do to this poor sap that I'm going to sell an item to that I know doesn't work and they'll be returning in a few days?"

The item, of course, is a roll-a-hose. :D

GKeeper316
5/20/2010, 01:47 PM

yup and yup

NormanPride
5/20/2010, 01:47 PM
It's always a roll-a-hose.

badger
5/20/2010, 02:03 PM
yup and yup

When I used to have a blog in college, I actually lamented every night about my experience working at the Toys R Us store (I was calling that place "BRATS" by the end of my tenure there), which I think drastically increased my readership to said blog.

More than the other retail place I've done time at, Lowe's, Toys R Us was a place that would encourage manipulation of customers, from useless insurance programs, to overpriced batteries and accessories, to encouraging kids to be bratty and beg for more toys.

As undesireable as some situations were at both stores, I'm still extremely loyal to them when I think about where to buy stuff. Whatever they paid me at $7 an hour, they've gotten back by now.

StoopTroup
5/20/2010, 02:06 PM
After she gets a job again...she should go to the pizza place and order one slice and sit at the table all day until they make her leave or refuse her service.

IB4OU2
5/20/2010, 04:09 PM
OSU grads never quit griping...do your job and STFU...and you may get a tip.

VeeJay
5/20/2010, 07:06 PM
I have no comments on this particular article.

I have no comments regarding your apathy.

AlbqSooner
5/20/2010, 07:35 PM
I could not care less about his apathy.;)

SunnySooner
5/20/2010, 09:16 PM
I'm really glad youtube, etc. was not around when I was in college. I could maybe even still run for office...or not.

Turd_Ferguson
5/20/2010, 09:22 PM
I love the fact that a restaurant pays their hired help **** wages and expects me to pick up the slack...

sooner59
5/20/2010, 10:59 PM
I will already go ahead and say there is no way I could run for any office. Too easy to dig up stuff on me. But.....I couldn't care less what what candidates did in college. When that was two decades ago for most candidates, who cares? Clinton smoked pot, Bush did coke, Obama probably did both. All Presidents did that back in the day. It built character......or at least that is what George Washington told me. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/21/2010, 01:18 AM
When I used to have a blog in college, I actually lamented every night about my experience working at the Toys R Us store (I was calling that place "BRATS" by the end of my tenure there), which I think drastically increased my readership to said blog.

More than the other retail place I've done time at, Lowe's, Toys R Us was a place that would encourage manipulation of customers, from useless insurance programs, to overpriced batteries and accessories, to encouraging kids to be bratty and beg for more toys.

As undesireable as some situations were at both stores, I'm still extremely loyal to them when I think about where to buy stuff. Whatever they paid me at $7 an hour, they've gotten back by now.Kudos to your service in the Private Sector. As that entity is swallowed up, those memories will become even fonder as you revisit American Nostalgia.

Collier11
5/21/2010, 01:33 AM
I love the fact that a restaurant pays their hired help **** wages and expects me to pick up the slack...

Its a law, I waited tables/bartended for years and it still pisses me off, especially when you throw in tip share

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/21/2010, 01:41 AM
Its a law, I waited tables/bartended for years and it still pisses me off, especially when you throw in tip shareA Catch 22. They could pay their help more, and raise the cost of the meal. Maybe lose enough customers ot go out of business. Go on unemployment. etc.

stoopified
5/21/2010, 08:13 AM
SH!T happens