PDA

View Full Version : Beeeeeep!

badger
5/20/2010, 10:49 AM
This is the sound that you will no longer hear when Oklahoma Turnpike Authority replaces your pikepass beepy box with a silent sticker.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20100520_12_0_alalKA27817)

When I first got a Pikepass, NP stole it and it remained in his car. Eventually, I got sick of avoiding toll roads because I didn't have a Pikepass in my car and got another.

So anyways, if you get a new Pikepass account, you will get a sticker. No more sharing the Pikepass wealth with whoever's driving, because it's a lot more difficult (read: voids the sticker) to move a sticker than a beepy box.

NormanPride
5/20/2010, 10:54 AM
Hell yeah I stole it. You never drive anywhere.

Stitch Face
5/20/2010, 11:02 AM
That's bull****.

NormanPride
5/20/2010, 11:35 AM
No it's not, she doesn't like driving, so I took it. I'd do it again, too! :texan:

Stitch Face
5/20/2010, 12:05 PM
Heh.

Seriously, not being able to trade the thing is a total pain. I can't take it out of my commute care and put it in the family car for a trip to the city? F that S.

Pricetag
5/20/2010, 12:16 PM
Listening for the beep is going to be a tough habit to get over. Guess I'll have to pay more attention to the little light thingies.

StoopTroup
5/20/2010, 12:30 PM
I've used mine in multiple cars...WTF ever....lol

GottaHavePride
5/20/2010, 02:14 PM
Heh.

Seriously, not being able to trade the thing is a total pain. I can't take it out of my commute care and put it in the family car for a trip to the city? F that S.

If it's like Kansas, this won't be a big deal.

So, in Kansas, a sticker is $15. BUT, that also means your account comes pre-loaded with $10, so the sticker is really only $5. Then, you go to their website and link your sticker to your credit card, and once a month they charge you for however much you've driven that month. NO monthly fee. And you can have as many stickers as you want linked to that same credit card. So really, it only costs you an extra $5 to put a second car on your account.

Kansas also has the option where you pre-load your sticker and "refill" it occasionally, so you don't have to give them a credit card number. But then they DO charge you a monthly fee.

EDIT: Having a sticker also means you pay 15% less on tolls in Kansas.

NormanPride
5/20/2010, 02:16 PM
What about when you sell a car? Do you have to get the sticker un-registered?

bluedogok
5/20/2010, 11:17 PM
Here in Texas (at least with the TxTag) the stickers are free, the motorcycle plastic transponder has a $20 refundable deposit. All of the toll agencies here (Austin, Dallas, Houston) have gone to the sticker. I know my TxTag sticker works in Dallas or Houston, the TollTag rarely worked in Houston, they were the old style plastic ones.

I have two Pikepass transponders, I have swapped them around on our two cars and my motorcycle. My only concern is if they are going to the same system that we have down here is it going to conflict with my TxTag? I wish they would get the interoperable agreements in place so I could get down to one system.

What about when you sell a car? Do you have to get the sticker un-registered?
I went by the TxTag office and called the Pikpass office and had them remove my pickup from the system when we sold it. We recently traded in my wife's SUV and the dealer pulled the TxTag sticker and license plates off the car and gave them to us. If you trade or sell it pull the sticker yourself but get the car removed from the system because if the sticker doesn't work they will charge your account by plate number.

OUinFLA
5/21/2010, 07:31 AM
Florida changed to the stickers last year. Now called a Mini-Pass.
Cost $5 and $5 is credited to your account, so it's free.
Not transferable to another car.

If you sell, wreck, have stolen, etc. your car, you have to cancel that pass and go get another one for $5 (- $5 credit) at the retail outlet.
Fortunately, the retail outlet is the largest grocery store chain in the state and there is one every 5 square miles in most cities.

Our stickers don't beep and that bothered me at first, so, I have to look at the lights, or assume if they miss my sticker, it's their loss of revenue.

One other dealeo we have here in Fla is a law that states " Speeding fines doubled for speeding through toll booth". The speed limit thru the "Sun-pass" lane is 25. It's easy to go faster. Problem is, they are now putting speed sensors in the Sun-Pass lanes and it is rather easy to issue a ticket to the driver as they have all the info for the car off the Sun-Pass.

Creative revenue production, I believe it's refered to.

Okla-homey
5/21/2010, 04:54 PM
Why could'nt a feller apply said PikePass sticker to piece of clear acetate, cut to size, and keep that plastic with the sticker stuck thereon on his dash? Then, when he wants to drive something else, switch it to the other vehicle's dash.

I'll bet someone will even sieze this as a business opportunity and market such piece of plastic, prolly even equipped with a couple little sucky cups to attach it to the inside of the windshield. I'll even bet he'd be able to sell said item for 5 or 10 bucks, having less than .50 in it.

GottaHavePride
5/22/2010, 08:44 AM
Why could'nt a feller apply said PikePass sticker to piece of clear acetate, cut to size, and keep that plastic with the sticker stuck thereon on his dash? Then, when he wants to drive something else, switch it to the other vehicle's dash.

I'll bet someone will even sieze this as a business opportunity and market such piece of plastic, prolly even equipped with a couple little sucky cups to attach it to the inside of the windshield. I'll even bet he'd be able to sell said item for 5 or 10 bucks, having less than .50 in it.

That's certainly possible, but then you run into the "****, I left my tag in the other car" moments.

And at least the tag in Kansas says it uses the glass of the windshield as an antenna, basically, and that if the sticker isn't attached directly to he windshield it won't work. I haven't tested this to see if it's true.

Breadburner
5/22/2010, 09:44 AM
The stickers are free.....

delhalew
5/22/2010, 09:55 AM
Tx, OK, and Kansas need to get together on one pass. Like the EZPASS that works in Chicago, along I-80, and NYC/Jersey...along with other areas in the Northeast.

OUinFLA
5/22/2010, 03:03 PM
Tx, OK, and Kansas need to get together on one pass. Like the EZPASS that works in Chicago, along I-80, and NYC/Jersey...along with other areas in the Northeast.

Or, we could just have a Federal sticker that works everywhere. Depending upon the US Govt to distribute the proper amount of funds back to the states with toll roads.

It would certainly make it easier for Big Brother to keep better track of your movements.

bluedogok
5/22/2010, 03:53 PM
With the three Texas agencies this will get you a fine per instance, their "Terms of Use" states that it is one sticker/transponder registered to one particular vehicle and may not be used in another vehicle, that was the case before the stickers started being used with both NTTA and HCTRA. I have known people who have been nailed for doing this in the Houston market swapping between cars and motorcycles, it is something HCRTA enforces vigorously. In many cases they will reduce the fine but it is could lead to an account being revoked in the eyes of the toll agencies.

Why could'nt a feller apply said PikePass sticker to piece of clear acetate, cut to size, and keep that plastic with the sticker stuck thereon on his dash? I'll bet someone will even sieze this as a business opportunity and market such piece of plastic, prolly even equipped with a couple little sucky cups to attach it to the inside of the windshield. I'll even bet he'd be able to sell said item for 5 or 10 bucks, having less than .50 in it.
When we first went to stickers here I put ours on Plexiglas with Velcro about the same size as the Pikepass and would swap them when we crossed the border. We finally tried it with the TxTag up and it didn't conflict with the OK system, since they are going to the same system now I will have to see if there is a problem.

Okla-homey
5/22/2010, 06:00 PM
And at least the tag in Kansas says it uses the glass of the windshield as an antenna, basically, and that if the sticker isn't attached directly to he windshield it won't work. I haven't tested this to see if it's true.

Glass as an antenna? That's a physical impossibility. Glass doesn't conduct RF energy, just as it doesn't conduct electricity.

I think KDOT is just trying to skeer you grainbrains into doing their will.;)

StoopTroup
5/22/2010, 06:37 PM
grainbrain SPEK Homey...lol

bluedogok
5/22/2010, 07:51 PM
Glass as an antenna? That's a physical impossibility. Glass doesn't conduct RF energy, just as it doesn't conduct electricity.

I think KDOT is just trying to skeer you grainbrains into doing their will.;)
Technically a windshield isn't just "glass", it has polymer films for safety and some have defroster wires in them....of course the toll stickers or boxes don't work behind those wires.