PDA

View Full Version : The Storms and the News

SoonerNate
5/19/2010, 09:27 PM
I've been watching Channel 5 online and I can tell you I haven't seen so much hype in my lifetime.

Is it all for ratings?

SoonerNate
5/19/2010, 09:28 PM
Don't get me wrong, I remember the bad weather but 5 hours of coverage?

OU Adonis
5/19/2010, 09:54 PM
Tell that to the people who died in the last round of storms

olevetonahill
5/19/2010, 10:18 PM
Tell that to the people who died in the last round of storms

All 2 of em :eek: :gary:

Collier11
5/19/2010, 10:25 PM
there was no reason for all the coverage tonight, it was all blown out of proportion just like usual.

Leroy Lizard
5/19/2010, 10:32 PM
We need to toughen up as a nation.

Soonerus
5/19/2010, 10:38 PM
The tornadoes then the hellacious hail storm and we are gun-shy here in central Oklahoma...I am, and normally I drive into tornado threats...

Jello Biafra
5/19/2010, 10:38 PM
We need to toughen up as a nation.

i agree. lets start with the mexican flag waving, spanish loving gringos first.

Collier11
5/19/2010, 10:45 PM
The tornadoes then the hellacious hail storm and we are gun-shy here in central Oklahoma...I am, and normally I drive into tornado threats...

and thats all fine and legit but once they realized this wasnt going to amount to anything, put up the weather map and get the hell off the tv

Soonerus
5/19/2010, 10:47 PM
something like 16 tornadoes tonight, that is something...

silverwheels
5/19/2010, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't say that it didn't amount to anything. Better safe than sorry. Not like there's anything good on Wednesday nights, anyway. That's why it's business time.

olevetonahill
5/20/2010, 12:26 AM
They said a Nader was headin MY way
I grabbed a Beer and went to LOOK fer it :pop: :cool:

StoopTroup
5/20/2010, 06:32 AM
Storm sirens went off here again last night. My kids were stressing the heck out. The Wife and I made our bid to them to use common sense. "It's a warning...that is all...there isn't one on the ground near here....it's just a warning. Do you know how many people have actually seen a tornado?...do you realize how hard many of these Nader Chasers work to get even a photo of a decent tornado?..." Stuff like that. They calmed down after that. I got them to bed around 10-11 pm and around midnight I got up and ran through the house screaming that we are all gonna die!

They love their Father. :D

AlbqSooner
5/20/2010, 06:39 AM
Think you got it bad in Oklahoma? The Sooner Caravan was to be in Albq last night. Due to the weather None of the coaches could fly out.

OH THE PAIN!

I guess God even hates NEW Messicans.:D

StoopTroup
5/20/2010, 06:40 AM
Think you got it bad in Oklahoma? The Sooner Caravan was to be in Albq last night. Due to the weather None of the coaches could fly out.

OH THE PAIN!

You were robbed. I'd wear a black arm band or something today

StoopTroup
5/20/2010, 06:59 AM
Also...

I was at this Book Store in Tulsa last night called Steve's Sundries" Great little hole in the wall book store...a Tulsa Tradition for those of you who may not be from here. Anyway the guy behind the counter says there is a tornado on the ground in Stillwater. I listen with him to the KRMG 740AM radio reports and as it was sketchy at best as to what was going on there...I rushed Home to see what the TV might have on it. As I'm walking in the front door...it hits me...I need to call my Aggie Bride and tell her Stoolwater is getting hit by a ternader. I call and she's like "Really....how bad is it?" I told her that 1st reports say the massive amounts of fecal matter in the air there are being reported as toxic". She hung up on me. :D

Osce0la
5/20/2010, 08:04 AM
You hillbillies were all over the Weather Channel yesterday and last night...I watched for a little while because they were live from KFOR showing one on the ground...I changed the channel, flipped back a couple of hours later and saw coverage of Norman with some live shots...

C&CDean
5/20/2010, 08:44 AM
The whole thing about the coverage - and more importantly, those who hate all the coverage is this:

If you've ever had a tornado rip your **** up, or ever had 5-6" hail come through your roof, ceiling, and then still have enough energy to shatter your floor tiles and destroy your cars in the garage you'd probably not whine about all the coverage. Don't like it? Change the ****ing channel. There isn't anything on network TV worth watching anyhow. Wait, I think I'm getting it now. Y'all are pissed because they covered storms during Survivor and Idol and Apprentice. ****ing homos.

StoopTroup
5/20/2010, 08:51 AM
Dean...I made them turn that **** off and man up. So WTF ever...lol

Stitch Face
5/20/2010, 10:31 AM
I've always thought the weather coverage in OK was awesome. Especially after we lived in Omaha for awhile. I mean, Nebraska gets tornados pretty bad as well, right, but their coverage was all like "we think there might be a tornado out there somewhere, run!" whereas in OK you get "there's a tornado at 51st and Yale right now and it'll be at 21st and Garnett in seven and a half minutes." You could plan a shopping trip during a tornado as long as you drove where the storm wasn't according to the news reports.

But last night was the first time I couldn't tell WTF was going on. Is it just me, or has the definition of "tornado warning" changed? Tornado warning used to mean "look, there's a tornado, get the **** down!" whereas last night damn near every county was in red and the sirens were going off all night because conditions where such that a tornado could form. Isn't that supposed to be a "tornado watch?" For the first time ever I really couldn't tell when we should be concerned or not and I wasn't about to sit in the safe room for three hours.

OhU1
5/20/2010, 11:55 AM
If a trash dumpster behind a Dollar General catches on fire the news channels break in with a dramatic "THIS IS BREAKING NEWS" bulletin and cut to the helicopter shot of the scene. It's a given that if there is a rain cloud approaching the borders of Oklahoma we'll get a report.

Pricetag
5/20/2010, 12:24 PM
Is it just me, or has the definition of "tornado warning" changed? Tornado warning used to mean "look, there's a tornado, get the **** down!" whereas last night damn near every county was in red and the sirens were going off all night because conditions where such that a tornado could form. Isn't that supposed to be a "tornado watch?" For the first time ever I really couldn't tell when we should be concerned or not and I wasn't about to sit in the safe room for three hours.
This. I remember a handful of tornado warnings during my entire childhood. When those sirens went off, it meant business. I can't count how many times I've heard the sirens over the past several years, and it is causing people to get desensitized to them.

StoopTroup
5/20/2010, 12:28 PM
If a trash dumpster behind a Dollar General catches on fire the news channels break in with a dramatic "THIS IS BREAKING NEWS" bulletin and cut to the helicopter shot of the scene. It's a given that if there is a rain cloud approaching the borders of Oklahoma we'll get a report.

Dude...If that Dollar General was to burn to the ground because of that fire...Stoolwaters economy would go bust.

C&CDean
5/20/2010, 12:51 PM
This. I remember a handful of tornado warnings during my entire childhood. When those sirens went off, it meant business. I can't count how many times I've heard the sirens over the past several years, and it is causing people to get desensitized to them.

C'mon now. Back in the day they only did the sirens when Joe Bob up at the little tower dealio actually eyeballed a twister. They've got madd technology nowadays. Without the technology and warning systems we've got in place, those two May tornadoes in the 90's in Moore would have killed hundreds - and maybe even thousands.

Pricetag
5/20/2010, 12:55 PM
C'mon now. Back in the day they only did the sirens when Joe Bob up at the little tower dealio actually eyeballed a twister. They've got madd technology nowadays. Without the technology and warning systems we've got in place, those two May tornadoes in the 90's in Moore would have killed hundreds - and maybe even thousands.
I agree, the technology is awesome, and I don't begrudge the coverage a bit. I was able to watch last night and know that my family wasn't in danger by looking at the map. But the sirens sounded, anyway. The weathermen were even saying that the sirens had been sounded as a precaution. I'd just rather they remain silent until it is time to run for the hills.

StoopTroup
5/20/2010, 12:57 PM
Once the wind blows my Wife down the street....I know it's time to take cover.

SoonerNate
5/20/2010, 04:14 PM
You hillbillies were all over the Weather Channel yesterday and last night...I watched for a little while because they were live from KFOR showing one on the ground...I changed the channel, flipped back a couple of hours later and saw coverage of Norman with some live shots...

You hillbillies?

I've been up to Birmingham.

stoopified
5/21/2010, 09:53 AM
there was no reason for all the coverage tonight, it was all blown out of proportion just like usual.That is EXACTLY the problem with wall to wall waether coverage,after a certain period of time people no longer give ut due notice.Its like the boy who cried wolf.

sooner59
5/21/2010, 12:01 PM
When the weather is on giving storm updates for hours on end, I just start drinking. It keeps the excitement level up when anything could happen. And I don't pay too much attention to sirens. I watch the weather maps. If the tip of a storm that "had the potential to produce a tornado" grazed the southern tip of Cleveland County, and You were at the Northern tip, you were never in danger. As long as I can see the weather map and dopler radar, the siren means little to me.