PDA

View Full Version : OU connected to Gallon payoff

Herr Scholz
5/19/2010, 08:35 PM
OU basketball: Texts, calls exchanged between coach, financial adviser's phones

by: GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer and JAKE TROTTER The Oklahoman
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
5/19/2010 6:17:40 PM

NORMAN ? Oronde Taliaferro, the former Oklahoma assistant basketball coach who abruptly resigned April 8, exchanged at least 41 phone calls and 25 text messages over a 10-month period with Jeffrey Hausinger, a Tampa financial adviser who reportedly wired $3,000 into the bank account of former OU forward Tiny Gallon.

The Oklahoman and Tulsa World discovered the communications, which took place from May 2009 to March 2010, during a review of Taliaferro's phone records, as requested by both newspapers under the Oklahoma Open Records Act.

After attempting first to shield Taliaferro's phone records, OU complied with the records requests this week, then issued a statement today confirming calls were made from Taliaferro's phone to Hausinger and that the exchanges are part of an ongoing, joint investigation by OU and the NCAA.

Records indicate calls and texts were exchanged from Taliaferro's cell phone and Hausinger's office and cell phones beginning May 12, 2009, and continued periodically through March 9, 2010.

The correspondence peaked in August 2009, the same month TMZ.com claims Hausinger wired the money into a bank account held by Gallon and his mother, Sylvia Wright. Gallon has since declared for the NBA Draft.

Taliaferro had no comment on the matter when last reached, the day of his resignation.

Hausinger, who resigned from his Tampa Merrill Lynch firm March 26 and began work at Raymond James Financial Services in Tampa March 29, did not return messages left on his office phone Wednesday.

Hausinger is contesting his resignation from Merrill Lynch, according to a document on the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority website.

In the document, Hausinger states he resigned "because I believe a fellow Merrill Lynch agent disclosed to the media my private financial information. The media reports indicated that I gave money to Willie Warren or Keith Gallon are false.

"I also did not give any money to Sylvia Wright, who was not, nor is a Merrill Lynch customer. I also violated no Merrill Lynch policy, procedure or regulation, and I believe Merrill Lynch was conducting this investigation as a cover for the media inquiries it received."

Since the story about Gallon and Hausinger was reported, the Tulsa World has made multiple attempts to reach Merrill Lynch officials for comment. Messages have not been returned.

Calls made between Taliaferro and Hausinger do not necessarily constitute NCAA violations.

However, if it's discovered the two conspired to provide Gallon with "extra benefits," OU's men's basketball program could be found guilty of major infractions.

The Sooner athletic department is still on probation for previous violations in both the football and men's basketball programs.

That probation expires Sunday.

JLEW1818
5/19/2010, 08:37 PM
is this a football story?

Herr Scholz
5/19/2010, 08:39 PM
Sorry, no, it should be moved to the hoops page. No comment though, jlew?

JLEW1818
5/19/2010, 08:41 PM
i think there is a thread in the basketball forum already...

as far as comment. i wanna find out more.

yankee
5/19/2010, 08:46 PM
the search function is your fraaaaaandddd.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2881553#post2881553

yermom
5/19/2010, 08:47 PM
paying off mediocre players?

we're doing it wrong

OKLA21FAN
5/19/2010, 08:51 PM

we're doing it wrong

this!

rawlingsHOH
5/19/2010, 11:06 PM
Sorry, no, it should be moved to the hoops page. No comment though, jlew?
i have one...
basketball is for women and yankees

Dio
5/19/2010, 11:24 PM
Smack fail

Mack has an asterisk just for you, Scholzie!

RADsooner
5/20/2010, 01:29 AM

we're doing it wrong

3000 is the mediocre rate these days?

Herr Scholz
5/20/2010, 01:42 AM
Are you guys trying to set up a pension plan with the financial advisor? That's smart ****.

MrJimBeam
5/20/2010, 05:52 AM
Are you guys trying to set up a pension plan with the financial advisor? That's smart ****.

BUY GOld!!11!!1!!one! G. Gordon Liddy says so.

stonecoldsoonerfan
5/20/2010, 08:40 PM
if a sooner had done this on hornfans, they would have been banned.

fwsooner22
5/21/2010, 10:25 AM
I thought Horns were supposed to be SOOOO SMART. What an embarrassment.

Salt City Sooner
5/21/2010, 11:57 AM
Scholzie started this little campaign out on SoonerScoop, but they locked it, so he had to come play town crier over here.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/21/2010, 12:11 PM
Scholzie started this little campaign out on SoonerScoop, but they locked it, so he had to come play town crier over here.Makes one want to hate OU, doesn't it?haha

Soonermagik
5/21/2010, 01:08 PM
I'l be interested to see where the investigation goes.

85sooners
5/21/2010, 01:40 PM
:texan:

Boomer Mooner
5/21/2010, 02:29 PM

...and for once I can agree with hornfans.

If I want to listen to some dip**** Texan shoot his mouth off all I have to do is walk out my front door. It really is too bad I can't get away from it when I come to a website that's supposed to be all about "Sooner Fans".

RedstickSooner
5/21/2010, 02:48 PM
is this a football story?

If it causes the football program to suffer sanctions, you're g-damned right it's a football story.

If basketball causes our football squad one more friggin' penalty from the NCAA, I vote we drop the motherfudgin' sport. This is bull. I have nothing against you people watching basketball during the winter, but if it hurts my beloved Sooners when it comes time to kick off the football season, I'm gonna break something.

Basketball seems to attract corruption, and it sucks anyhow. Not as badly as, say, wrestling or soccer, but enough that it certainly isn't worth corruption.

Leroy Lizard
5/21/2010, 02:54 PM
If it causes the football program to suffer sanctions, you're g-damned right it's a football story.

If basketball causes our football squad one more friggin' penalty from the NCAA, I vote we drop the motherfudgin' sport. This is bull. I have nothing against you people watching basketball during the winter, but if it hurts my beloved Sooners when it comes time to kick off the football season, I'm gonna break something.

Basketball seems to attract corruption, and it sucks anyhow. Not as badly as, say, wrestling or soccer, but enough that it certainly isn't worth corruption.

I love it.

badger
5/21/2010, 03:19 PM
I mentioned it in the basketball forum already (since Gallon is a basketball player, the assistant coach was an assistant basketball coach and did I mention that Gallon just participated in the National BASKETBALL Association Combine????), but our probation for both basketball and football ends Sunday.

Yes, the Bomar/Quinn fiasco, combined with the Calvin Simpson fiasco is about to be behind us.

So yeah, have to give Texans something to run their mouths about during the offseason, since whining about Colt's injury was starting to get old, along with free-fallin' from your No.1 basketball ranking was getting old. It's only a matter of time before your record setting baseball season will get old too... about the time OU upsets you guys in the Big 12 tourney at Bricktown and falls short in the College World Series :D

To make this football relevant, October revenge can't get here fast enough. Mack might recruit em well, but he can't coach worth shizzle.

Soonerfan88
5/22/2010, 08:16 PM
Just to keep that Texass free fall momentum going, OU just kicked the #3 ranked Hook 'em out of the NCAA Tennis tournament. OU is now in the Elite 8.

And with compliments to badger:
To make this football relevant, October revenge can't get here fast enough. Mack might recruit em well, but he can't coach worth shizzle.

Bourbon St Sooner
5/24/2010, 05:09 PM
Mack's the best at getting texas refs to put time back on the clock so he can win his 2nd conference title in 500 years of coaching. Oh, and did I mention *.

Bourbon St Sooner
5/24/2010, 05:12 PM
Just to keep that Texass free fall momentum going, OU just kicked the #3 ranked Hook 'em out of the NCAA Tennis tournament. OU is now in the Elite 8.

And with compliments to badger:

What? A highly touted horn team underachieved on the national stage? Where have we seen this before?

badger
5/24/2010, 05:30 PM
Mack's the best at getting texas refs to put time back on the clock so he can win his 2nd conference title in 500 years of coaching. Oh, and did I mention *.

With teeth gritted to the point of my dentist screaming:

It. was. the. right. (deep breath... oxygen mask... blood pressure medicine... stress toy squeezed to death...) call.

Hate texas or loathe texas, it was the (arrrrrrrrgh) right call, because the ball didn't hit the ground and the refs (grrrrrrr) were right to review the call because (expletive deleted x infinity) it is in the rule books and the rule books have worked in OU's favor for tie-brekaers for Big 12 championships before, so (my teeth have been grinded to the bleeding gums for saying this, but) Texas deserved to have a second back on the clock.

TXBOOMER
5/24/2010, 06:04 PM
i have one...
basketball is for women and yankees

I couldn't agree more.