PDA

View Full Version : Yo, Men Types What Knows About Cars and Such...

SunnySooner
5/17/2010, 12:04 PM
I started my car today for the first time in a couple days, and got the weirdest smell coming thru the vents--like a chemically/sulfur/rotten egg smell, :eek: .

WTH? It got better as we got going, but worse again when I put it back in Park. I looked under the hood, nothing seemed out of place. I did get the oil changed about 4 days ago--did they spill something and now it's burning off, or ???? OH, and the a/c was on, but the smell was still there when I turned it to vent only. Any ideas? I'd hate to gas myself and wreck and kill my kids or something:eek: . Car ran fine/normal other than that.

Thanks!!

Veritas
5/17/2010, 12:17 PM
Is it a BMW? Cuz those things are ****e. ;)

olevetonahill
5/17/2010, 12:19 PM
About the only thing I can think of , is an antifreeze leak or ya losing refrigerant .

Keep am eye on yer Temp gauge . and then also see if yer A/C quits cooling

I cant imagine either of those giving off thos odors ya mentioned tho .

SunnySooner
5/17/2010, 12:23 PM
OK, Vet, I will. Drove it for about 40 minutes today, on highway and around town, didn't notice any temp. problems. I'll look under the car and see if anything's leaking. Thanks!!

OH, and no, it's not a BMW, I crazily married for love, not money, silly girl. ;)

Flagstaffsooner
5/17/2010, 12:26 PM
Quit farting in the car.

Seriously it sounds like incomplete combustion. Easy thing is to check the plug wires, are they all well seated? Here's a site with possible probs.http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/a/aa120702a.htm

I would contact the Vet.

olevetonahill
5/17/2010, 12:28 PM
It could be spilled oil , but I doubt it cause ya should have noticed it right after ya had it changed

Let me think about it and Ill be back on line tonight aroun 9 er so

stoops the eternal pimp
5/17/2010, 12:28 PM
I think your tires are leaking oil

Flagstaffsooner
5/17/2010, 12:30 PM
Hey Vet, as I recall incomplete combustion allowing gas to burn in the cat converter will cause that. ??

Flagstaffsooner
5/17/2010, 12:35 PM
Also check your trunk, Sicem may be hiding in there. His diapers smell like hell.
http://whitewatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/man-wearing-diaper.jpg

SunnySooner
5/17/2010, 01:20 PM
lol, ok, I've been googling, and you may be on to something with the fuel/cat converter thingy, it can be a result of gas with a high sulfur content. I fueled up the other day at a place I'd never been before, I bet that's it. It's close to empty again now, I'll refuel at my normal place tomorrow and keep you updated. Thanks MEN!!!

Zbird
5/17/2010, 01:20 PM
Dead catalytic converter

SunnySooner
5/17/2010, 01:24 PM
Dead? Ugh, that sounds expensive. It has a KN filter thingy on it--does that have anything to do with anything?

OUinFLA
5/17/2010, 01:26 PM
probably time to change your turn signal wiper blades.
old worn out rubber really stinks.

Flagstaffsooner
5/17/2010, 01:50 PM
It has a KN filter thingy on it--does that have anything to do with anything?Shouldnt..

Sure are alot of smartasses around here.:D

Crucifax Autumn
5/17/2010, 02:02 PM
Duh!!!!!! It's the blinker fluid.

C&CDean
5/17/2010, 02:07 PM
Anything that is rotten eggy is pretty much a combustion issue and shouldn't have anything to do with oil/antifreeze/etc.

Either your catalytic converter is toast, or you're not getting a complete burn on your fuel. What type of car is it, and what year?

Crucifax Autumn
5/17/2010, 02:13 PM
http://www.comptropolis.com/article/images_1/flintstones-car.jpg

Tulsa_Fireman
5/17/2010, 03:05 PM
Anything that smells like rotten eggs should start with a check of the battery.

A leaking cell will smell EXACTLY like rotten eggs/sulphur-y. An offgassing battery can be because of overcharging, a crack, lord knows what else. And the smell can and will be intermittent, so it's my advice to you to immediately get that battery checked. The fumes put off by an offgassing battery are highly flammable and is well within flammable range and with a low enough ignition temperature for a normally warm engine to ignite the fumes which can result in A) battery deflagration, B) battery detonation, or the real turd rocket, C) a fire in your engine compartment.

Get it checked. Now.

SunnySooner
5/17/2010, 03:48 PM
OK, Fireman, I'll have my neighbor look at it. It's less than a year old, though, so hopefully it's OK. It's an '02 Escalade, Dean. The KN filter allows us to use mid-grade gas instead of the premium, but sometimes I buy the high dollar stuff, as I did when I last refueled at the previously unvisited station. From what I'm reading, I'm starting to believe that's the problem. If I get my normal fuel and it's still doing it, then I'm back to square one. Thanks again, guys, this is the type of crap that always happens when Mr. SS is not around.

Mjcpr
5/17/2010, 03:51 PM
Did anyone drop *** before entering the vehicle?

That'll do it too.

C&CDean
5/17/2010, 03:51 PM
Does your hubby know you drive a pimpmobile?

SunnySooner
5/17/2010, 04:01 PM
LOL, I was waiting for that. It's an EIGHT year old "pimpmobile". I do love it though, I can see everything from up there, and it keeps my kids safe, it's a tank. And way more fun than my old minivan, no doubt. This is the first "problem" I've had with it, hopefully it's nothing serious.

Zbird
5/17/2010, 06:09 PM
You could just move to Sulphur. It always smells that way. No one would suspect it was your car.
:D

StoopTroup
5/17/2010, 07:58 PM
I'd go with Fireman's assessment and have that battery and the charging system checked. I've seen a few cars have alternator / voltage regulator problems and cook the battery. That will give off a pretty bad smell too.

AlbqSooner
5/17/2010, 08:03 PM
What have you been feeding your kids? They would never admit to Mom that they ripped one in the back seat.

Breadburner
5/17/2010, 09:43 PM
Your muffler bearings are going out.......

VeeJay
5/17/2010, 11:11 PM
Sunny - my diagnosis based on the information provided is that the rotten egg smell you are getting is a mixture of brake dust mixing with the air filter's dyno. That should never come into contact with the carburetor's dually exhaust. You have a problem in the spark plug. Could be a faulty hose. I'd call 911.

Let us know how that goes.

...and I hope I never have to ask you for advice.......

Leroy Lizard
5/18/2010, 12:44 AM
lol, ok, I've been googling, and you may be on to something with the fuel/cat converter thingy, it can be a result of gas with a high sulfur content. I fueled up the other day at a place I'd never been before, I bet that's it.

I have had similar problems with Mobil.

SunnySooner
5/18/2010, 08:34 AM
Update: filled up this am and smell is GONE, woohoo!! I hate taking a car to the mechanic, it's like, "I know you're about to bend me over, please be gentle." So thanks for all the advice, genuine and smart ***. :D

Leroy Lizard
5/18/2010, 09:10 AM
Update: filled up this am and smell is GONE, woohoo!! I hate taking a car to the mechanic, it's like, "I know you're about to bend me over, please be gentle."

MPEGS!

goingoneight
5/18/2010, 11:50 AM
Anything that is rotten eggy is pretty much a combustion issue and shouldn't have anything to do with oil/antifreeze/etc.

Either your catalytic converter is toast, or you're not getting a complete burn on your fuel. What type of car is it, and what year?

This.

and while it is a very rare instance... new cars have AC filters inside the cab (AKA "cabin filters"). These things will circulate any stink you have in the car until they're changed. Not likely ther cause unless something really rotten is down near it. I have seen small, dead critters around the cabin filter housing (usually behind the glove box).

SoonerJack
5/18/2010, 04:03 PM
MPEGS!

L0000000LLLLL