Collier11
5/17/2010, 01:06 AM
By Patrick Fioravanti
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted May 15, 2010

CFN Blog - Analyzing and breaking down the Oklahoma schedule

By Patrick Fioravanti

The Sooners’ 2010 double-edged sword of a slate

The last two years the Sooners have played pretty challenging schedules, and that doesn't appear to be ending any time soon.

2008 was the year that wins over TCU and Cincinnati probably provided the difference that put Oklahoma in Miami against Florida. 2009 was the year that Oklahoma's challenging schedule sent them to the Sun Bowl. That's right, it was the schedule that did it, not the injuries. The only folks making injury excuses for Oklahoma last year weren't from Oklahoma.

Oklahoma's 2010 schedule is looking like it might just be tougher than '08 and '09 combined. It won't matter what ranking Oklahoma starts out at this year with their schedule. If they take care of business, they'll play for it all. However that will be much easier said than done. Let's break it down:

Utah State - OK, after '09 they're entitled to this one. Smarter strategy than '09 as well when they started out with a tough BYU, then played the easier game.

Florida State - Blockbuster potential. Most Sooner fans sure wish Bobby Bowden was going to be on the sideline for this one. They would like to exact a little pay back for all those ridiculously low rankings he's been giving the Sooners over the years. Plenty of athleticism and talent on both sides of the ball to make this game one to watch. Sooners have advantage with this one being in Norman where they have won 30 in a row.(Will be 31 if they squeak past Utah State in week 1).

Air Force - Laugh if you want, but it's pretty hard to prepare for that Air Force offense. It isn't like everyone in the Country is running it. Not to mention the fact that there aren't a whole lot of teams out there that are more disciplined. I don't know if anyone saw what they did in their Bowl game last fall getting their offense off the field and converting a field goal without using a time out. Oklahoma should pull this one off, but they better not sleep on them.

@Cincinnati - Sure Brian Kelly is gone. More importantly though for Sooner fans is that Mardy Gilyard is also gone. Man, Sammy's gonna love throwing the rock to that guy! Gilyard put on a show back in Norman in '08. The momentum that Oklahoma carries from their first three games will have a lot to do with this one. Also, this will be Landry Jones first chance to prove to Sooner fans that the 5 pick game @Nebraska last year was a fluke. Sure he played well in El Paso, but many Sooner fans are still a little nervous.

Texas - Need I say more? Texas has a mysteriously high ranking coming into the 2010 season even though they lost a lot of players. This should bode well for Oklahoma if they can finally turn this thing back around. It'll be pretty interesting seeing Texas' youth on offense against the youth in OU's back seven. A glimpse of things to come. This will be Landry Jones' mid-term exam. Either he comes out of this game 5-0 or he needs to start looking over his shoulder.

Iowa State - Whew! Can a Sooner get a breather?! That 5 game stretch was brutal and the Sooners are going to be thankful for a bye week then being able to host the Cyclones. Better make sure Stoops shows them the film of the ISU-Nebraska game last fall just to make sure everyone's head is right.

@MizzOU - That was a quick break. This game isn't going to be an easy one for the Sooners. The Tigers are trying to move past the Chase Daniel era with Blaine Gabbert and this will be a huge opportunity for him to stick a nice crimson feather in his hat.

Colorado - This one shouldn't be too much of an issue for the Sooners. This isn't the type of game they lose in Norman.

@Texas A&M - Yet another challenging road game. A&M has a lights out offense, and playing in College Station isn't exactly easy. This game could be payback for the Sooners for all the pain they've inflicted on A&M recently.

Texas Tech - Will never forget the atmosphere when Sooner faithful did that 'jump around' thing right before halftime of their game in '08. It was so spontaneous and everyone in the stadium was doing it........except maybe for the black section in the corner of the stadium. This game won't be anything like that one, and it'll be interesting to see what kind of team Tuberville brings to Norman. 2003 was the last time the visiting team won this game.

@Baylor - Sooner fans look forward to finally seeing Robert Griffin play. Finally a road game that appears a little less challenging than all the rest.

@OSU - Yet another tough road game for the Sooners. Fortunately for them, the Cowboys appear to be in a rebuild mode. Being a rivalry game, that usually doesn't matter. Wonder if OSU will finally come off their absurd ticket policy by the time this one is played.

Anyone that can read will be able to see that it'll take a lot of work for the Sooners to improve on last year's record. They endure a brutal start to the season in their first five games, then finish the season with 3 very challenging road games. If recent history holds true, it could be a long season for the Crimson and Cream.

However, if they can finally get over that hump and remember how to win road games it could be special. There are definitely more tough games for the Sooners than cakewalks. Just like in '08 and '09 the schedule has potential to send them to the promised land or back to El Paso. It won't get any easier for Oklahoma in the future either as they have upcoming home and home games schedule with Ohio State, Notre Dame, Tennessee, and LSU, which will begin after they return Florida State's game in Tallahassee in 2011.

Crucifax Autumn
5/17/2010, 01:59 AM
Great overall analysis, but he's stupid if he really thinks our problem was the schedule and not the injuries.

Collier11
5/17/2010, 02:01 AM
Im kind of at odds, of course I want to see good non conf games but I also realize that the more good teams you play the more risk of injury there will be. As much as I will enjoy watching this sched in 10', I dont know the reason for scheduling 3 bowl teams non conf when no other team in the nation has more than 2 most likely

Crucifax Autumn
5/17/2010, 03:48 AM
Because we're Oklahoma.

Collier11
5/17/2010, 04:01 AM
Yea but thats arrogant fan BS for the most part, no legit BCS team schedules the level of teams for non conf that we do minus 3 or 4 nationwide. Its suicide in a lot of scenarios, sure if we go undefeated non conf it is a huge benefit but what are the chances of that happening coupled with no huge injuries?

CincySooner
5/17/2010, 08:21 AM
I did some looking at the schedule myself and found an interesting nugget.

No team that we play will have a bye week before their game with us. The closest that anyone comes is Cincinnati plays on Thursday night the week before OU plays them, and FSU plays Samford before coming to town.

SunnySooner
5/17/2010, 08:24 AM
Didn't Bob say something that effect the other day, in the current system you shoot yourself in the foot more often than not. He may be looking for more Potato States in the future. I just don't like the system, SOS should be a bigger factor in the polls, imo.

Good read, a lot of what he says sounds familiar, I think he's been reading our board. ;)

Crucifax Autumn
5/17/2010, 08:26 AM
Yea but thats arrogant fan BS for the most part, no legit BCS team schedules the level of teams for non conf that we do minus 3 or 4 nationwide. Its suicide in a lot of scenarios, sure if we go undefeated non conf it is a huge benefit but what are the chances of that happening coupled with no huge injuries?

Yeah, but brutal schedules got us into 4 BCS championship games, so I'm proud of our team for having bigger balls than anyone else.

Collier11
5/17/2010, 01:02 PM
Agreed but this yrs sched goes beyond that, this one is tough even if FSU is down a little

JLEW1818
5/17/2010, 01:17 PM
I've said it once I"ll say it again.

We won't lose a home game.

so now we got

texas
@mizzou
@Baylor
@tamu
@pokes
@cincy (lost 3 most important people.)

so there u go

agoo758
5/17/2010, 02:54 PM

Being selected as the number 2 spot in 03, 04, and 08, when it was close makes the schedule worthwhile

Collier11
5/17/2010, 03:03 PM
you are missing the point, I am all for a good schedule and it has helped us in the past but we have 3 pretty darn good teams this yr on our non conf sched when most teams are scheduling 1 at most. We could easily get by scheduling just 2

IronHorseSooner
5/17/2010, 03:11 PM

so now we got

texas
@mizzou
@Baylor
@tamu
@pokes

so there u go

^^^ This right here! Also, I'm going to take another look at this.

1. Pinkel has NEVER beaten OU or *
2. We actually play Baylor better in Waco than at home.
3. Outside of their really good DE, does A&M have a defense yet?
4. Rebuild mode, rebuild mode, rebuild mode
5. Cincy 2010 does not equal Cincy 2008 or 2009; however, this game will tell more about this team than any other

That would leave a young * team ripe for the picking. I agree, their early season rating in suspiciously high.

Collier11
5/17/2010, 03:17 PM
^^^ This right here! Also, I'm going to take another look at this.

1. Pinkel has NEVER beaten OU or *
2. We actually play Baylor better in Waco than at home.
3. Outside of their really good DE, does A&M have a defense yet?
4. Rebuild mode, rebuild mode, rebuild mode
5. Cincy 2010 does not equal Cincy 2008 or 2009; however, this game will tell more about this team than any other

That would leave a young * team ripe for the picking. I agree, their early season rating in suspiciously high.

Mizzou has a good young QB, they will be tough and we dont play very well in Columbia
Baylor should be a breeze, lets hope
A&M can score but our D is much better than theirs, if we can get over the road woes we should beat them easily
OSU wont be very good, a 5-7 win team IMO, that rivalry in Stillwater is always tough on us though
Cincy has a stud young QB who can move around and its on the road, we all know how mobile QBs do against us on the road at diff times

rawlingsHOH
5/17/2010, 04:18 PM

so now we got

texas
@mizzou
@Baylor
@tamu
@pokes

so there u go

Amen!

diegosooner
5/17/2010, 10:48 PM
I'll risk the tougher schedule anyday.

olevetonahill
5/18/2010, 12:25 AM
Aint the Schedules set several years ahead ?
So who knows how good they where the last season ?

oudavid1
5/18/2010, 12:44 AM
texas
@mizzou
@Baylor
@tamu
@pokes

so there u go

Cincy-No friggin way
Texas-No Stability, and Sam Bradford wont get knocked out, Will be a great game
Mizzou-Defense will keep the Offense in it
Baylor-What?
TAMU-Biggest Game, Defense shut them down once, but there gonna be dam good
OSU-LOL

IronHorseSooner
5/18/2010, 03:37 AM
I understand that A&M will be good, but EVERY A&M fan that I speak with, regardless of place or time, wonder why we are so worried about them. I tell them that they have 2 good WRs, a good QB, a good young RB, and a darn good DE (Miller). They point to me that KU had about the same thing last year, and look where it got them. Also they have no confidence in their coaching staff.

As for Mizzou, I understand that they have a good young QB, but what else do they have? Their best WR, RB, and LB are all gone. Mizzou is another one of those teams that gets great talent, but can't get over the hump.

Cincy's QB, Collaros (sp), is a multi-threat guy, but if you keep him contained, where will he throw it. None of Cincy's other skill guys strike any fear into you. It won't be a run away, but it SHOULD be a win if everybody is healthy.

Weeden needs to be the man for OSU, because Cate couldn't even complete a pass against CU! I think they will be about a .500 team, but who until Weeden can prove himself, they had better get used to 8 & 9 man fronts to stop Hunter. I expect a win, but y'all are right, it will be closer than most think because this might determine bowl eligibility for them.

I have commented on another post about what I think of *. When I did, Herr came back with a sarcastic comment. My point is exactly what the author of this article stated- they are suspiciously highly ranked. I am not saying who will win either way, but there is no way that they are the #4 team and that ahead of us. They are us last year- talented, but young. They will need a year to get in synch. Everybody lauds Gilbert in the BCS Title Game, but he also accounted for 5 turnovers, and his receiver on both of his TDs was Shipley. * will soon understand that Shipley was their offensive MVP, Thomas was their defensive MVP, and Lawrence was their ST MVP. Also, this will Gilbert's first RRR, and Landry's second. Ask any player on either side who has played in that game, and they will state how much that experience plays into it.

All I am saying is that we are as or more talented than any other team on that schedule, and more experienced than *. I don't know if we will run the table, but it is NOT out of the realm of possibility.

BTW, I AM HEADING BACK HOME FROM AFGHANISTAN!!!!!!

What is also quite cool is that Caitlin Hill (now CPT Hill) is also on the same flight and says "Hello" to everybody in the Sooner Nation! She also wishes that we beat the heck out of *, as her boyfriend is an obnoxious Whorn (her words, not mine). I then commented that it was redundant, because there is only one type anyway!

C&CDean
5/18/2010, 08:42 AM
Safe journey home brother.

King Barry's Back
5/18/2010, 09:41 AM
Didn't Bob say something that effect the other day, in the current system you shoot yourself in the foot more often than not. He may be looking for more Potato States in the future. I just don't like the system, SOS should be a bigger factor in the polls, imo.

Good read, a lot of what he says sounds familiar, I think he's been reading our board. ;)

"I just don't like the system, SOS should be a bigger factor in the polls, imo."

Yeah, it should. If two teams are undefeated, the one playing the tough schedule (in most cases) should get in over the one playing the easy schedule.

That's obvious.

But the trade off is OU is much more likely to lose one or two non-conf games because of these hard schedules -- and we are not (and probably shouldn't) get in over the undefeated team that played the cake walk schedule.

And until that changes, there's not much advantage in doing it.

Just consider 2009.

If we had opened with Chattanooga in 09, we would have cruised to a season opening lop-sided win. Sammy would have survived another game, and the whole season would have been in front of us.

Then play it out. Maybe Sam gets knocked out at Miami, maybe not. But if we score a few more points, we win that game and got to Dallas undefeated.

Who knows after that.

After last year, I am not in favor hard schedules.

NormanPride
5/18/2010, 09:46 AM
Stay safe, IHS, and tell CPT Hill that with all due respect, she's really hot.

Oh, and OSU is going to run a spread, leach-style offense. They got the OC from Tech I think, and have overhauled everything. I heard they didn't have enough WRs, so they converted a bunch of TEs. Sad.

oudavid1
5/18/2010, 11:53 AM
Hod Bless You IHS, it will be an honnor to have you back on this side of the pond

IronHorseSooner
5/18/2010, 12:54 PM
Stay safe, IHS, and tell CPT Hill that with all due respect, she's really hot.

She's real down to earth, as well. She's a flight surgeon, which is a darn tough job over here.

OSU going to the spread? They have to have the personnel to run it, first and foremost. If that's the case, then why did Sims decide to go there?

NormanPride
5/18/2010, 01:25 PM
Nobody else had room for him around here. Us and Texas are full up on RBs, and nobody likes A&M. IMO, he should've gone to Tech, who will be running the ball more under Tubbie.

I saw her email to ESPN a while back, and was really proud of all the work she's done over there. It sounds like she really needed the break, too.

IronHorseSooner
5/19/2010, 01:38 AM
OSU using TEs as WRs will be classic to watch! Sims probably should have gone to Tech, but he would have been better than anything * would have a RB. With TCU's success of late, heck, I would have put them in the mix.

On the other note, being a flight surgeon in AFG is one of the toughest jobs out there. She also has to treat the enemy and locals. I met her pilot, and he's a good guy as well.

NormanPride
5/19/2010, 09:55 AM
Wheedon or whoever it is they have is a good QB. He was the one that actually moved the ball on us in last year's shutout (in junk time, yeah, but still). They just don't have anyone to throw it to right now, and Hunter is not a spread back. I'll be interested to see how much of the spread they adapt.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/19/2010, 10:53 AM
mizzou isn't above abusing home field advantage. i wouldn't be surprised if the field looked like a swamp.

NormanPride
5/19/2010, 11:37 AM
That would benefit us more, wouldn't it? They run a spread and we have the ability to run down hill...

KantoSooner
5/19/2010, 12:00 PM
Calhoun between the tackles. Knees high enough to hit guys in the facemask.
Fall can't come soon enough.

diegosooner
5/20/2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah, but brutal schedules got us into 4 BCS championship games, so I'm proud of our team for having bigger balls than anyone else.

Agreed.

sendbaht
5/20/2010, 07:36 AM
Interseting stuff.

Then we beat NB in the Big 12 Champ game. Great season!

Breadburner
5/20/2010, 08:30 AM
Interseting stuff.

Then we beat NB in the Big 12 Champ game. Great season!

Nebbish is overated according to those at O.P. but of course they are not.....lol...

SoonerAtKU
5/20/2010, 10:06 AM
The way I look at it is this: OU has been to 4 national championship games. In 2 of those years, Texas has been good enough to ALSO go to a BCS game. In Texas' 2 title appearances, OU fielded their worst two teams of the decade going by record.

This tells me that the schedule is working just fine for us so far. It's lifting us above Texas when they're good, and Texas has to wait for OU to be historically bad to have a chance to play for anything beyond a conference title.

IronHorseSooner
5/20/2010, 11:42 AM
The way I look at it is this: OU has been to 4 national championship games. In 2 of those years, Texas has been good enough to ALSO go to a BCS game. In Texas' 2 title appearances, OU fielded their worst two teams of the decade going by record.

This tells me that the schedule is working just fine for us so far. It's lifting us above Texas when they're good, and Texas has to wait for OU to be historically bad to have a chance to play for anything beyond a conference title.

^^This!!! Also, the comment about Mizzou having their place look like a swamp and using the home field is absolutely spot-on. However, it rarely gives them a win (see us, *, and even OSU a couple of years ago).

Soonerfan88
5/22/2010, 08:25 PM
OSU going to the spread is really going to hurt them this year. They are trying to rebuild a defense that was never good to begin with and now they are going to be on the field most of the game? We are going to roll in Stillwater this year.

IHS, thanks and safe travels. If you ever get to Ft. Leonard Wood, let me know and I'll buy you a beverage.

Williesan
5/22/2010, 11:49 PM
mizzou isn't above abusing home field advantage. i wouldn't be surprised if the field looked like a swamp.

Fortunately for the opponents, Mizzery took out that joke of a grass field several season ago. In fact, I think the last time we played up there they had FieldTurf or some derivative of it.

I think aggy lite is the only place that can screw up field turf with a sprinkler system. ;)

Williesan

JLEW1818
5/23/2010, 08:00 AM
Missouri lost at home to Baylor last year.