PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the Reds in Thailand are ratcheting things up

Okla-homey
5/16/2010, 07:31 AM
if Chuck's still here in Okieland, perhaps he should consider staying
here until this revolution is put down and the ringleaders are rounded up and thrown in the klink.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article7127944.ece

Chuck Bao
5/16/2010, 08:52 AM
....OR chuck will return to Thailand after the murderous regime of prime minister Abhisit resigns and returns power to the people. But, that is looking less and less likely because they know they are doing wrong and will be brought to justice under a legitimate government. It is a great shame when a country's military is used agaist its own people. This government is using snipers in the tall buildings to pick off the pro-democracy leaders. 30 now dead since Thursday.

Crucifax Autumn
5/16/2010, 09:21 AM
Totally insane.

Okla-homey
5/16/2010, 09:43 AM
....OR chuck will return to Thailand after the murderous regime of prime minister Abhisit resigns and returns power to the people. But, that is looking less and less likely because they know they are doing wrong and will be brought to justice under a legitimate government. It is a great shame when a country's military is used agaist its own people. This government is using snipers in the tall buildings to pick off the pro-democracy leaders. 30 now dead since Thursday.

Sounds like the "watemelons" aren't so watermelon-y after all. Anyway, I agree, its always sad when a government is forced to use the military to put down civil unrest.

This appears to be one of those situations where neither side is willing to budge. And in those situations, the side with the most guns usually wins. E.g. United States, c. 1861-1865

Now, that said, if the Reds decide to go full-on revolutionary and are willing to destroy Thailand's largely tourism-based economy whilst waging a multi-year irregular war, the Reds in Thailand can win. E.g. Cuba, Vietnam, Republic of Ireland, etc.

You know, the Reds should perhaps consider the "civil disobedience" thing. It worked in India. Lot's of folks had better be willing to peacefully to jail though if that has a chance of working. The barricades and rock hurling thing would need to cease.

olevetonahill
5/16/2010, 09:54 AM
Ya know sompun aint right ,when a countries citizens are willing to stand up against a far stronger and armed Military.

Yea we have a lot f Wing nuts here that SAY they wanta stand up and fight

But unless and untill things get really bad most aint gonna do a dayum thing but Go ahead and get the easy part done

that is just talking about it

Chuck Bao
5/17/2010, 01:05 AM
Sounds like the "watemelons" aren't so watermelon-y after all. Anyway, I agree, its always sad when a government is forced to use the military to put down civil unrest.

This appears to be one of those situations where neither side is willing to budge. And in those situations, the side with the most guns usually wins. E.g. United States, c. 1861-1865

Now, that said, if the Reds decide to go full-on revolutionary and are willing to destroy Thailand's largely tourism-based economy whilst waging a multi-year irregular war, the Reds in Thailand can win. E.g. Cuba, Vietnam, Republic of Ireland, etc.

You know, the Reds should perhaps consider the "civil disobedience" thing. It worked in India. Lot's of folks had better be willing to peacefully to jail though if that has a chance of working. The barricades and rock hurling thing would need to cease.

In Thailand, we have a saying: “It is never as it seems.” I attribute that to a) the Thai media cannot report on highly sensitive issues regarding the palace and the integrity of the military and police and b) the major power blocs fight it out by creating side issues and by using proxies. Hence, the Yellow Shirts and the Red Shirts.

With that being said, the Yellow Shirts and Red Shirts have developed into grass roots organizations that have gained popular support in a near 50-50 divide of the country. Simply put, the Yellow Shirts believe that they are fighting to protect the monarchy and the Red Shirts believe that they are fighting to protect democracy.

One major reason that the conflict has gotten out of hand is that the Thai government and the Yellow Shirts completely underestimate the popular support for the Red Shirts. They still assume that the Red Shirts are largely poor, uneducated provincial people who cannot possibly understand politics and only protest because they are being paid, largely by that billionaire super villian, former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is still in exile.

The government and its minders have systematically beaten down the Red Shirts by banning their political parties and politicians, by staging the coup, by strong-arming the remaining political parties to join the Democrat party to form the Abhisit government, by banning all media sympathetic to the Red Shirts, by annoucing harsh state of emergency decrees in Red Shirt provinces and just today freezing bank accounts of Red Shirt politicians and supporters. This is having the opposite effect and making even more people angry enough to join the Red Shirts.

Trust me, the army is still as watermelon-y as it has ever been. One estimate is that 60% of the Army are Red Shirts and 70% of the nationwide police force. I assume that the Army Commander-in Chief, who is now in charge of national security, did a better job in selecting the most loyal of troops in the latest crackdown of Red Shirt protesters in Bangkok.

Nobody wants civil war, obviously, but there remains that possibility. The military appears unified so far, despite its highly-politicized and factious top heavy command. It also seems more intent on looking out for itself, rather than looking out for the Abhisit government’s best interests. The government has consistently been made to look weak with its inability to control the security forces. I guess that leaves options open for later. The lone exception in declaring a side was the highly-decorated, renegade General Seh Daeng, who was shot in the head by a sniper while talking to reporters last Thursday.

I imagine that the government would very much like to shift the Army troops and armanents out of the Red Shirt provinces to better control those military personnel sympathetic to the Red Shirts. Meanwhile, Red Shirt protesters have set up road blocks in their provinces to stop the troop movement. I am thinking that Red Shirt protesters are again being used as proxies here.

The danger now is that the fighting spreads to the Red Shirt provinces. The government just added more Red Shirt provinces in its state of emergency decree, which bans the meeting of more than 5 people for political purposes and allows for detaining citizens for two months without any formal charges being filed. I am not sure how the government can enforce it since the police and army will not. If raw force is used at the road blocks like in the protest area of Bangkok, it could force more military to come out to support their Red Shirt brothers and cousins. Another flash point will likely be when Seh Daeng dies.

I honestly do not have a clue how this conflict will end. I still hope that Prime Minister Abhisit will eventually have to resign and a national unity government formed, amnesties will be issued on both sides and work will begin in amending the constitution (or adopting the much fairer ’98 constitution) with an early election by the end of this year. Nah, that would be too easy and not at all acceptable to the Yellow Shirts, who would take their turn at going on the rampage.

StoopTroup
5/17/2010, 09:32 AM
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

StoopTroup
5/17/2010, 09:33 AM
[For you Erin]Power to the peephole[/ea]

OklahomaTuba
5/17/2010, 09:55 AM
So which side are the ladyboys on???

Leroy Lizard
5/17/2010, 10:19 AM
So which side are the ladyboys on???

Ahem. Both sides.

I'm just waiting for the Reds to win so that I can buy some of those yellow shirts on Ebay at reduced prices. The ones that say "Thai National Champions" on them will go real cheap.

KABOOKIE
5/17/2010, 10:34 AM
So are you Chinese or Japanese?

Leroy Lizard
5/17/2010, 10:35 AM
Is that a reference to ladyboys or shirts?

OklahomaTuba
5/17/2010, 10:39 AM
To be honest, if I lived in a country where half the population were drug addicted shemale hookers, I want to shoot-up some **** as well.

Okla-homey
5/17/2010, 10:51 AM
You must admit, killshots from atop tall buildings depressed onto the street through billowing smoke and Bangkok's tropical haze is impressive. I wonder if they're using M24's* equipped like our snipers'?

Given this development, perhaps the red shirts should be discarded in favor of grey shirts..you know to better blend in with the urban surroundings.;)

M24's are basically accurized Remington 700's chambered for 7.62, typically with Leupold 10x40 scopes. They average around 1.5" MOA for a three round group at 100 yards.

C&CDean
5/17/2010, 03:50 PM
I shoot 1.5" groups with my Ruger M77 in 7mm Mag with Leupold scope.

It'd tear some protester's punkin plum up.

I hope Chuck stays home until all the **** finishes going down over there.

KABOOKIE
5/17/2010, 04:56 PM
I hope Chuck stays home until all the **** finishes going down over there.

I thought the reason he was there was because of all the **** going down over there???

Chuck Bao
5/18/2010, 02:32 AM
This MSNBC article on the Thai military says exactly what I was trying to say in my previous post - the watermelons are tricksters.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37203123/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

Edited to add: If you are wondering why that anti-riot policeman is wearing a lime green scarf in that pic on MSNBC, he's color coordinated. Initially, there was so much confusion on which police and army units the anti-riot troops belonged to that they made them pin or tie colored ribbons on their anti-riot gear. This makes me really wonder.

Crucifax Autumn
5/18/2010, 03:03 AM

It'd tear some protester's punkin plum up.

Damn. If LAS was here he'd be describing his 1" groups.

:D

Sooner in Tampa
5/18/2010, 07:11 AM

Pfft....LAS scoffs at your lack of tight groupings

He can do that from a distance of 1 click...on a windy day

C&CDean
5/18/2010, 08:26 AM
With his M-1 with iron sights.

I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy...

TheHumanAlphabet
5/18/2010, 08:37 AM
The King must be in bad shape if he is "in hospital" since September and has not said anything regarding this unrest. I would think the "reds" would listen to what he said. I guess he must be so bad, he can't abdicate and let his son rule.

Okla-homey
5/19/2010, 12:01 PM
Great. Just great. It appears the Red thugs are burning Bangkok.

http://in.reuters.com/article/topNews/idINIndia-48572520100519?sp=true

Half a Hundred
5/19/2010, 02:21 PM
Hate to say it, but it sounds like it's about time for a civil war there, even if no one wants it. A damn shame, really.

Okla-homey
5/19/2010, 02:28 PM
US Department of State warns AMCITS to STFO of Thailand.

May 15, 2010

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Thailand of ongoing political demonstrations and unrest in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Due to escalating violence in central Bangkok, including gunfire near the U.S. Embassy, demonstrations in Chiang Mai, and other incidents throughout Thailand, U.S. citizens should defer all travel to Bangkok and defer all non-essential travel to the rest of Thailand. The Department of State has authorized the departure of all non-emergency U.S. government personnel and eligible family members from Bangkok. This replaces the Travel Alert dated April 28, 2010, and is in response to updated information on increased violence and security concerns. The Department of State recommends against travel to Bangkok and non-essential travel to Thailand at this time.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_4888.html

C&CDean
5/19/2010, 03:05 PM
So what are you going to do Chuck?

Chuck Bao
5/20/2010, 01:27 AM
So what are you going to do Chuck?

Good question, Dean.

I will probably return back to Bangkok as scheduled on June 22. I think I would be safe holed up in my condo. I live in a middle-low income Red Shirt neighborhood, which shouldn’t be affected much by either rioters or the military. I have plenty of food and drinking water. My biggest concern would be availability of tap water and electricity. All of my friends living in the provinces are in Red Shirt provinces and that would be much less safe than my condo in Bangkok. If I have to, I could rent a small apartment in one of the seaside resort areas.

It was shocking this morning to see pics on the TV of my former office building with the adjacent new shopping mall (largest in Southeast Asia) on fire. From what I gather from the internet, the seven story shopping mall collapsed as snipers kept the fire department from putting out the blaze. Even more shocking was the news story of nine people who had sought refuge in a Buddhist temple (next door to my office building) being killed. That is unimaginable for the Thailand that I know.

I have spent almost half of my life in Thailand and it is still my home. Nope is there. The US embassy in Bangkok is closed, but I suppose that we could fly to Singapore and try to get a US visa for him there.

I don’t know. I will, at least, call several friends in Bangkok to make an informed decision before returning.

Collier11
5/20/2010, 01:55 AM
I know it is a lot deeper than this for you Chuck but common sense says stay away

olevetonahill
5/20/2010, 01:55 AM
Dayum George
Im a Pray fer Nope and Hope Ya get home to an Intact home :eek:

StoopTroup
5/20/2010, 06:25 AM
Chuck...Buy one of those devices that will let you filter/drink your urine. Then go out into the street and collect the bladders of the dead Reds and open up Urine collection booths for the yellow shirts. I'd go with a "Privacy" advertising spread saying isn't it nicer to pee in private than right in the gutter. Then you can strain all the pee you've collected and never have to worry about water until one side or the other wins or gives up.

Okla-homey
5/20/2010, 07:37 PM
It was shocking this morning to see pics on the TV of my former office building with the adjacent new shopping mall (largest in Southeast Asia) on fire. From what I gather from the internet, the seven story shopping mall collapsed as armed Red Shirt thugs shot at firemen thereby keeping the fire department from putting out the blaze.

Fixed it.

And for the record, I hope it works out for you and your companion. It must be really tough for you both right now. srsly.