PDA

View Full Version : Courtney Paris...wow?

Collier11
5/16/2010, 02:51 AM
So, taken 1st rd, got traded, now not even in the league or is she playing overseas for more $???

She isnt on Chicagos rosters and they last owned her rights? That would be a mega bust as good as she was at times in college

the_ouskull
5/16/2010, 08:31 AM
Maybe she needed the extra cash to pay back her scholarship...?

the_ouskull

sooner_born_1960
5/16/2010, 08:33 AM
I saw the other day where she was cut.

badger
5/16/2010, 09:54 AM
I started a Tulsa Shock/Sooners in WNBA thread in the "Other Sports" forum.

Nyeshia Stevenson and Ashley Paris were cut by the Phoenix Mercury earlier this week.

Interestingly, it was CP3's backup for three years, Abi Olajuwon, who made the the Chicago Sky, not CP3.

Other than Abi, Amanda Thompson (with the Tulsa Shock) is the only other Sooner in the WNBA currently.

bri
5/16/2010, 10:11 AM
I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that Abi actually put in work during her four years here to get into better playing shape than Courtney...

the_ouskull
5/16/2010, 03:05 PM
Yes. It does.

badger
5/17/2010, 11:56 AM
I will never say anything bad about Courtney Paris, because she has been nothing short of a wonderful person and great role model for Oklahoma.

Alas, reading your comments about CP3 not improving much during her time at OU made me recall something that I thought was just Courtney being goofy at the time:

Basically, her freshman season, the coaches issued grades on her rebounding each game. She got an F. Repeatedly. Then, the NCAA awarded her a big trophy for leading the country in rebounding, so she sent a note to her coaches apologizing for never being able to pass rebounding.

It's really tough to think that you're doing something wrong when you're receiving huge trophies for your accomplishments.
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/w-baskbl/import/VAHOFJDGQOFGHUO.20070401163917.jpg

I don't think that makes Courtney a bad person or a bad basketball player. I just think that's likely the reason why she seemed to be the same successful player each season. She was INCREDIBLY successful. She was INCREDIBLY dominant, and don't let a lack of NCAA titles or only one Final Four appearance diminsh that. Would she have been dunking by her senior year and have at least one title by the time she graduated if she did things differently? Don't kid yourself - UConn is far too dominant.

As for why CP3 was cut when Abi wasn't, don't read too much into conditioning et al. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that Chicago drafted Abi, but just supplemental drafted Courtney when Sacramento folded. If the Monarchs still existed, Courtney would be on that team. She was a victim of a circumstance that was beyond her control here. Sacramento was sucking in the NBA and they chose to fold their WNBA team in hopes of saving the Kings.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/17/2010, 12:27 PM
i wouldn't call her a bust anyway..calling someone a bust for not making a wnba team is like calling a football player a bust for not making an arena football squad

Collier11
5/17/2010, 12:56 PM
Reminds me of the Family Guy skit about the WNBA, lol

stoops the eternal pimp
5/17/2010, 01:01 PM
its like being a bust if you can't quite cut it as the french fry guy at mcdonalds

Curly Bill
5/17/2010, 06:16 PM
So...she's working at McDonald's now?

Must be the free food! :D

diegosooner
5/18/2010, 08:52 PM
I have unconditional love and respect for her- whether she plays another BB game or not. She's a Sooner.

Collier11
5/18/2010, 10:20 PM
I appreciate all she did for OU (and she did alot) but I have a tiny grudge against her that she didnt do more to get herself in better shape which would have only made her better

diegosooner
5/19/2010, 12:34 AM
It was unfortunate the Sacramento team folded. She might have worked her way into meaningful playing time there this next year.

bri
5/19/2010, 12:53 AM
Make all the excuses you want; she was fat and lazy, and THAT'S why she's out of the league. Not that stupid "supplemental draft" bullsh*t.