PDA

View Full Version : Will Stoops win another title?

Soonermagik
5/16/2010, 12:05 AM
Let's face it, it's been a decade since OU's last national championship win. Sure, OU has played in a few others, but they have failed to win another. I'm not complaining, because it's been a great run, but can we expect another crystal ball within the Stoops era?

If so, when are you predicting the next national championship win?

gaylordfan1
5/16/2010, 12:12 AM
YES. Soon.

Soonerus
5/16/2010, 12:14 AM
Yes, just like NN soccer you just have to keep knocking on the door...

Collier11
5/16/2010, 12:30 AM
Let's face it, it's been a decade since OU's last national championship win. Sure, OU has played in a few others, but they have failed to win another. I'm not complaining, because it's been a great run, but can we expect another crystal ball within the Stoops era?

Lets put it this way bro, in Stoops first 10 years he played for the natl title 4 times, was within 1 play of winning 3 natl titles. We only won 1 but no other school played for more than 2 and we played for 4. Id be willing to bet we play for atleast 2 in this decade, I have faith that we will win atleast 1 in the next 10 yrs.

Hell, Stoops is at his best when he is hiding in the shadows like this yr, dont count out 2010 if we stay healthy. There arent any other great teams

rawlingsHOH
5/16/2010, 12:41 AM

Maybe. Titles are rare.

Switzer was lucky to win one w/o even having to play a bowl game. And Wilkinson LOST a bowl game and still won one. Must have been nice, hey?!

swardboy
5/16/2010, 06:07 AM
Maybe. Titles are rare.

Switzer was lucky to win one w/o even having to play a bowl game. And Wilkinson LOST a bowl game and still won one. Must have been nice, hey?!

INCONCEIVABLE!! You might as well try to win a land war in Asia....

StoopTroup
5/16/2010, 08:15 AM

Did you predict he would win one the 2nd year he was here?

Aries
5/16/2010, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I think we will probably within the next three years. Stoops doesn't show any inclination to leave, and he's almost always in the hunt. It not only takes good players and coaching, you have to have a few breaks along the way... we just need everything to come together at once.

XingTheRubicon
5/16/2010, 08:59 AM
For whatever unholy reason, our football program doesn't respond in dogfights. For the last 5 years anyway. Our M.O. has been get ahead thru superior talent early, then mix it up and stomp our opponent. When we have any type of adversity, OU has looked like that girl in Taken hiding under the bed.

The majority of NC teams are for what ever reason, grind it out, win ugly type teams during the regular season...at least at a few points during the year.

2000, we had @A&M and @OSU
2001, cocaines were an NFL team
2002 buckeyes were the epitome of just win, baby.
2003 LSU won several dogfights, including the last one.
2004 exception (details blurry)
2005 UT won a ton of dogfights in '04 that prepared them for SC in 05
2006 FLA beat SoCar by a point at home and other nail biters
2007 no NC should have been awarded in 07
2008 FLA exception...blew everyone out and lost close one during reg year
2009 Bama Sphincter clinching wins vs. Va Tech, Car, Tenn, LSU, and Aub.

We need to learn how to win close games.

JLEW1818
5/16/2010, 09:42 AM
2011-2012 season?

Landry comes back after a near Heisman year. Calhoun becomes a freaking STUD. We convince Broyles to stay. Broyles and Stills are the best 1-2 in college football. The Oline is dirty.

On Defense, Travis Lewis says screw it, and comes back for another season. McFarland is the best DT in college football. Gabe Lynn has a 12 interception season.

We beat USC for the national title.

HillbillyRay
5/16/2010, 09:51 AM
I agree with rubicon we need to be in some dog fights and come out on top,

TXBOOMER
5/16/2010, 10:28 AM
It will take a he11 of a Defense for him to win another one. I don't like our offensive style against one of the best SEC style defenses. But if we had a playmaking physical defense with good special teams play it could happen. We are lucky to have Stoops.....He is a he11 of a coach.

MR2-Sooner86
5/16/2010, 10:29 AM
2001, cocaines were an NFL team

26-24 against Virginia Tech was a close one.

JLEW1818
5/16/2010, 10:29 AM
oh and hope that Ohio State is the opponent

TXBOOMER
5/16/2010, 10:34 AM
2011-2012 season?

Landry comes back after a near Heisman year. Calhoun becomes a freaking STUD. We convince Broyles to stay. Broyles and Stills are the best 1-2 in college football. The Oline is dirty.

On Defense, Travis Lewis says screw it, and comes back for another season. McFarland is the best DT in college football. Gabe Lynn has a 12 interception season.

We beat USC for the national title.

Yes...Yes...And at the victory party you will meet Megan Fox who will fly you to Vegas to marry her.

JLEW1818
5/16/2010, 11:24 AM
damn straight

Crucifax Autumn
5/16/2010, 12:25 PM
I predict 3 in the next 5 years!!!!!!

MR2-Sooner86
5/16/2010, 02:51 PM
I predict 3 in the next 5 years!!!!!!

I'll see your 3 and raise you 7 for 5!!!!

rawlingsHOH
5/16/2010, 02:54 PM
For whatever unholy reason, our football program doesn't respond in dogfights. For the last 5 years anyway. Our M.O. has been get ahead thru superior talent early, then mix it up and stomp our opponent. When we have any type of adversity, OU has looked like that girl in Taken hiding under the bed.

i thought we responded to adversity pretty well in 2006, with a very modestly talented team.

XingTheRubicon
5/16/2010, 04:10 PM
i thought we responded to adversity pretty well in 2006, with a very modestly talented team.

I liked that team as well, however....

UO - we had the ball 1st and goal on the 3 with a 10 pt lead and 4 minutes to go in the 4th quarter and lost. Even with the blatant cheating, that's a choke job

UT/refs - still found a way to lose. This game still pisses me off. The forward/wait backward lateral, Sweed push off on DJ, and JJFinley pushing air calls were out and out corrupt calls. Still lost.

BSU - choke job

There were 3 games in '06 that seriously worried me going into halftime. We lost all 3. We were also the better team in all 3.

edit: I forgot about the Big XII title game vs Neb. that was a gutsy win vs a pretty even opponent.

XingTheRubicon
5/16/2010, 04:15 PM
26-24 against Virginia Tech was a close one.

at Virginia Tech. Miami jumped on Virginia Tech, leading 20-3 at halftime, 23-10 after three, and 26-10 midway through the fourth quarter. Virginia Tech added a couple of late touchdowns

not really

Curly Bill
5/16/2010, 04:29 PM
This won't surprise anybody coming from me, but with the two coordinators we currently have on staff I'm gonna say no. If Bob shakes things up a little bit, then I'll say that yes there's a good chance.

The difference in the very best guys manning those spots and what we currently have - good, but not great guys, is often what makes the difference in those close games, the ones won or lost on the basis of a play or two.

Salt City Sooner
5/16/2010, 05:44 PM
not really

Ernest Wilford flat dropped a 2 point conversion w/ 6 minutes to go that would've tied it up. That's a close game from where I'm standing.

Miami also barely got out with their collective lives against Boston College that year. UM was up 12-7, but BC had the ball on the UM 9 with less than a minute to go when they (specifically Ed Reed, who ripped the ball from a teammate's arms) returned a ricocheted pass for a 91 yd. pick 6.

starclassic tama
5/16/2010, 06:33 PM
not really

because we all know how important halftime scores are!

Collier11
5/16/2010, 06:36 PM
Ernest Wilford flat dropped a 2 point conversion w/ 6 minutes to go that would've tied it up. That's a close game from where I'm standing.

Miami also barely got out with their collective lives against Boston College that year. UM was up 12-7, but BC had the ball on the UM 9 with less than a minute to go when they (specifically Ed Reed, who ripped the ball from a teammate's arms) returned a ricocheted pass for a 91 yd. pick 6.

This ^ XR is way off on his statement

XingTheRubicon
5/16/2010, 06:58 PM
If you don't think UM was head and shoulders above everyone else in 01, you were either 12 years old or you're a moron.

Collier11
5/16/2010, 07:16 PM
So, now that youve been proven incorrect in your statement, instead of just admitting it since it isnt much of a big deal you resort to the age old defense of "well if you dont think so youre a moron", nice. I watched both of those games that are being talked about and they could have easily lost both.

Now, if you want to say they were head n shoulders above all the other teams they played that season that is fine, but they still nearly lost two games, both of which went down to the final few seconds. They also didnt play the other best team in the country due to Neb getting in over Oregon

Having said all of that, they were a very deserving natl title team and were the best team throughout the season but you are wrong in your statements

Sirus
5/16/2010, 07:29 PM
You guys are a bunch of Sooner gheeks! :D
I like the feuds though. They are very entertaining. Also very informative.

XingTheRubicon
5/16/2010, 07:37 PM
I never said in my original post that they had no close games. I said they were an NFL team.

In fact, the point of my first post was that more NC teams play vanilla during the regular season and gut out wins from time to time. The BC and VA Tech games just reinforce my point. History is littered with "could have easily lost this game or that game." That's how an aggie thinks. Winners win and golden eagles lament about what could have easily happened.

Jacie
5/16/2010, 08:06 PM
How sweet did the King feel winning that 1985 title? It had been 10 years and a couple of near misses since his previous one, while just two years earlier some loser was selling "Bury Barry" bumper stickers. He didn't go on hiatus from 1975-85 or wake up from a coma and decide to get busy coaching again. He was trying to do it every year and anyone who was paying attention knew it.

OUr coach Stoops is doing all the right things towards that goal. But there is still that intangible called luck that every National Champion is thankful for at some point in the season when everything goes their way.

Bob will keep building teams that have a legitimate shot at getting to and winning the big game but so will a few other coaches. As much as I would like it to happen sooner than later, realistically we may be just a year away from Bob's next serious run at #8.

1890MilesToNorman
5/16/2010, 08:53 PM
How about we enjoy one game a week during the season and see what happens? That's what makes it fun.

Collier11
5/16/2010, 09:07 PM
thats why college fball is so great, every week is a build-up, even when playing utah state :D

SoonerDood
5/16/2010, 09:17 PM
Cletus says we need to fire Stoops and hire a coach who won't ever lose a game.

rawlingsHOH
5/16/2010, 09:17 PM
I liked that team as well, however....

UO - we had the ball 1st and goal on the 3 with a 10 pt lead and 4 minutes to go in the 4th quarter and lost. Even with the blatant cheating, that's a choke job

UT/refs - still found a way to lose. This game still pisses me off. The forward/wait backward lateral, Sweed push off on DJ, and JJFinley pushing air calls were out and out corrupt calls. Still lost.

BSU - choke job

There were 3 games in '06 that seriously worried me going into halftime. We lost all 3. We were also the better team in all 3.

edit: I forgot about the Big XII title game vs Neb. that was a gutsy win vs a pretty even opponent.

I have a hard time saying we were the better team than Boise. As would the NFL, since they put more players into the league off that squad. A 50% Peterson did help matters much.

Ditto with Texas.

We were better than Oregon, but you are never going to get a fair shake playing @ Pac 10.

Still overcame a ton of adversity, and after every wrote us off won the conference. Including some impressive road wins against ranked teams in Colombia and Clg Station.

One of Stoops' best jobs.

Collier11
5/16/2010, 09:18 PM
I have a hard time saying we were the better team than Boise. As would the NFL, since they put more players into the league off that squad. A 50% Peterson did help matters much.

Ditto with Texas.

We were better than Oregon, but you are never going to get a fair shake playing @ Pac 10.

Still overcame a ton of adversity, and after every wrote us off won the conference. Including some impressive road wins against ranked teams in Colombia and Clg Station.

Considering how many pts they got off of our self inflicted wounds and we still shoulda won, Id say we were the better team

Curly Bill
5/16/2010, 09:46 PM
We were better, they were smarter.

In the end: their smarts > our better more athletic team

Collier11
5/16/2010, 10:02 PM
well like I said, we spent nearly half of the game crapping down our own legs

Soonermagik
5/16/2010, 10:26 PM
I didn't mean to come across as ungrateful. In fact, I think Stoops has done an amazing job. With that said, to reach that elite level of the best college coaches he has to win another to cement his legacy.

Saban, Carroll & Meyer have all won 2, which I'm sure he's aware of. The sad thing is he lost to each one of them. Not that it's a terrible thing, because all 3 of those coaches are as good as it gets.

I still think he has to figure a way to make OU a better road team. They might beat the Saints at home, but lose to SMU on the road. We struggle big time in bowl games. I think once he figures out how to get over the bowl slump it will invoke confidence. Granted they beat a decent Stanford team, but that wasn't a BCS game, but it's a good sign they are headed in the right direction.

Collier11
5/16/2010, 10:32 PM
All good coaches struggle with different aspects, Stoops has struggled with road games and bowl games. The difference between a really good coach and a Great coach is the ability to figure out what adjustments need to be made where they struggle.

I have 100% confidence that Stoops will do what needs to be done in order to be a Great coach, having said that, he still needs to do it.

Against Florida and LSU he had chances to make game changing decisions or adjustments and whatever those decisions/adjustments were, he didnt make them. If he makes a diff call here or there he might have 3 natl titles already, unfortunately he only has 1

Soonermagik
5/16/2010, 10:39 PM
All good coaches struggle with different aspects, Stoops has struggled with road games and bowl games. The difference between a really good coach and a Great coach is the ability to figure out what adjustments need to be made where they struggle.

I have 100% confidence that Stoops will do what needs to be done in order to be a Great coach, having said that, he still needs to do it.

Against Florida and LSU he had chances to make game changing decisions or adjustments and whatever those decisions/adjustments were, he didnt make them. If he makes a diff call here or there he might have 3 natl titles already, unfortunately he only has 1

Well said.

Collier11
5/16/2010, 10:41 PM
Thats why I said it :D

Soonermagik
5/16/2010, 10:54 PM
Thats why I said it :D

Well played, sir. ;)

kingsby
5/17/2010, 09:55 AM
Depends on the Def Coord. Current DC with initials BV, not a snowballs chance.

boomermagic
5/17/2010, 09:59 AM
Good chance before he hangs it up..

Jello Biafra
5/17/2010, 10:41 AM
several bad breaks in the last couple of years....not saying we would have won it, but we go without injury last year, we are playing bama for the title. that would have had us playing in 5 title games in 10 years. not toooo bad. if you think about it, not all that different from when switzer was roaming the sidelines.

Jello Biafra
5/17/2010, 10:41 AM

this is just stupid.

badger
5/17/2010, 10:43 AM
this is just stupid.

Or as a poke would say:

this is just stoop-id

Seriously though, Stoops will win another title, it just probably won't be this season. Let's get another bowl win, try to win the Big 12 South and conitnue getting momentum back

Collier11
5/17/2010, 01:00 PM
this is just stupid.

Dontcha know, thats Curlys troll :D

kingsby
5/17/2010, 01:26 PM
this is just stupid.

Well OK .... "stay thirsty my friend"

boomermagic
5/17/2010, 03:44 PM

If it wasn't for BV's defense we might not have won at all last year.. Most of our injuries to key players were on offense.. I have been fairly impressed with Brents defense the last year or so..

Collier11
5/17/2010, 03:46 PM
unfortunately, the one year that BV couldnt put a decent D together was the year we lost to Florida, having said that he still virtually shut down Floridas high powered offense until the 4th qt when our D gave out after our Off couldnt do a damn thing

NOVSooner
5/17/2010, 04:07 PM
with the talent on the defensive side of the ball in last year's class combined with the talent on the offensive side of the ball in this year's class, as long as they work hard and listen to the coaches, i see no reason why we couldn't have #8 within the next 3 years.

Curly Bill
5/17/2010, 06:04 PM
Dontcha know, thats Curlys troll :D

I ain't got no troll.

...but he was right on with that post. :D

Curly Bill
5/17/2010, 06:05 PM
You guys buried him deep. Took me two whaps to get him green. :D

85Sooner
5/17/2010, 07:04 PM
Sorry, but no. The 2000 was because of the team not just coaching.We are now experiencing the second coming of the G Gibbs era.

rawlingsHOH
5/17/2010, 07:18 PM
Sorry, but no. The 2000 was because of the team not just coaching.We are now experiencing the second coming of the G Gibbs era.
lol
Just with a lot more conference championships.

Collier11
5/17/2010, 08:42 PM

youre a ra tard

85Sooner
5/17/2010, 10:24 PM
youre a ra tard

OK since I am such a retard and rely on facts, lets look at them. Based on records, which is what determines MNC. In the past 6 years B stoops won most games against teams we were supposed to beat just like Gibbs ( who went 2-15 against highly rated teams). We have lost to Texas, the only highly ranked team in the past five years we have on our schedule. Nebraska and Colorado have not been the power houses they were during the Gibbs years. We go to a bowl and get beat, except against mighty stanford! wow.
Since the loss in 2004 vs the trojans, we have lost to TCU, UCLA, Texas, Texas tech, Oregon , Texas again, Boise State, Colo, Texas tech again, west virginia, Texas again , Florida, BYU, Texas again. , Nebraska, Texas Tech again. Who have we beaten in a game where the winner was in question?

Yes we have had great players, Yes we have won conference championships due to Texas losing.
The idea of "big game bob" is gone. Period.
That said, I don't know the answer to changing the results. I will say that no one I know will bet against Texas despite who they are playing. Bob is 5-6 in bowl games. I am not a "just happy to be there" person,especially with the effort we have displayed in most of the "big" games. Call it what you like. If the magical season of 2000 had not occurred, would he be a success based on the results we have seen from other major coaches? Are you happy with conference championships when there is only one other national contender in the conference that shows up EVERY TIME? How would OU survive in the SEC?
Again, I am not saying I have the answer but this is the exact feeling I had when Gibbs was the coach and I saw banners flying over during games saying Goodbye Gary.
Barry did lose many times but usually to teams they overlooked. For the most part Teams under switzer showed up to play. Now don't pretend that if you find one exception to my points that you negate the facts.

Collier11
5/17/2010, 10:28 PM
The last 6 years, so you get to pick and choose your time period, just curious since Stoops has been here for 11 friggin years?

Stoops is till in the top 5, maybe top 3 of winning coaches of this decade. Stoops has gone to 7 BCS games in 11 years, 4 natl title games in 11 years, won a natl title, won 6 conf titles, is 36-16 vs the top 25, 6-5 vs tex, 9-2 vs osu, so again...please tell me how he is even in the same breath of Gibbs? Until you can do that, you are a clueless Ra-Tard!!!

Collier11
5/17/2010, 10:29 PM
Switzer also had 3 consecutive 4 loss seasons before he won his last natl title

olevetonahill
5/17/2010, 10:35 PM
You guys buried him deep. Took me two whaps to get him green. :D

took me ONE to put him back :D

JLEW1818
5/17/2010, 10:36 PM
OU and texas finished tied with 110 wins for the decade. The most in a BCS Conference.

(boise 112)

olevetonahill
5/17/2010, 10:40 PM
We Succ dont ya know

Curly Bill
5/17/2010, 11:03 PM
took me ONE to put him back :D

Now go look! :P

:D

TahoeSOONER
5/18/2010, 12:35 AM
This program is so close but it's going to take a sniper team like 2000. It's obvious this staff has what it takes but they need to get back to out working teams on the offensive line. When OU runs well, they win. We know that JH taught QB's can mix it up on the pass and Oklahoma plays defense. I can't imagine a better example of a sniper team than the one about to take the field.

SoonerNate
5/18/2010, 04:52 PM
Even to this day I cannot complain. Let's not forget the 90's.

Octavian
5/19/2010, 12:58 AM
Yes -- but it depends on how long he stays.

Stoops is very close to owning 3 NC rings right now. Just a handful of plays go differently against LSU and Florida --literally 4 or 5 --and everyone in the country is comparing Stoops with Bear Bryant.

That all gets lost in the mythologized media-fan narrative that gets constantly recycled. But that doesn't make him any less of a coach....just because the ball hasn't bounced our a way a few times in National Championship Games.

In Bob's first 10 years, OU played in 4 NCG's. The record speaks for itself.

If he stays another decade, OU will likely have 2-4 more NCG appearances and the ball will bounce our way at least once -- maybe twice.

Still wouldn't be a bit surprised if Stoops tied Wilkinson and Barry before he's done in Norman.

goingoneight
5/19/2010, 08:27 AM
Seems every 3 years or so, Stoops has one of those Super Teams like 2004 and 2008. They're clearly the best when it happens, but they always seem to leave you scratching your head when it's all said and done (TGOWWDNS and the Butterfinger Bowl against Flartuh).

diegosooner
5/22/2010, 01:14 PM
Once every 12 years would not be too bad. Maybe he'll get two more.

JLEW1818
5/22/2010, 07:58 PM
Seems every 3 years or so, Stoops has one of those Super Teams like 2004 and 2008. They're clearly the best when it happens, but they always seem to leave you scratching your head when it's all said and done (TGOWWDNS and the Butterfinger Bowl against Flartuh).

yep, 2012, Landry's SR Year

stoopified
5/23/2010, 11:33 AM
YES

IronSoonerMan
5/23/2010, 08:38 PM
I didn't mean to come across as ungrateful. In fact, I think Stoops has done an amazing job. With that said, to reach that elite level of the best college coaches he has to win another to cement his legacy.

Saban, Carroll & Meyer have all won 2, which I'm sure he's aware of. The sad thing is he lost to each one of them. Not that it's a terrible thing, because all 3 of those coaches are as good as it gets.

I still think he has to figure a way to make OU a better road team. They might beat the Saints at home, but lose to SMU on the road. We struggle big time in bowl games. I think once he figures out how to get over the bowl slump it will invoke confidence. Granted they beat a decent Stanford team, but that wasn't a BCS game, but it's a good sign they are headed in the right direction.

I did not know Petey won 2.....
IMO Bob is as good as it gets.

Collier11
5/23/2010, 10:52 PM
Pete has 1 last I checked

itsok
5/24/2010, 12:13 AM
I dont see why Stoops would leave OU before the end of the decade...We win at least one more with him...

ndpruitt03
5/24/2010, 02:05 AM
Based off how our coaching has been the last 5 years. Not sure we have the staff put together now to win another title. When we come up against top teir coached programs we lose.

oudavid1
5/24/2010, 02:14 AM
Based off how our coaching has been the last 5 years. Not sure we have the staff put together now to win another title. When we come up against top teir coached programs we lose.

I defiantly understand what your saying here. in 2000 we had a different staff.

teir

tier

gaylordfan1
5/24/2010, 04:37 AM
(sp)?

Soonermagik
5/24/2010, 08:53 AM
Pete has 1 last I checked

Okay, I mistyped, he won one and was awarded another. I think we can all admit that Pete was one of the best college coaches we've seen in some time.

gaylordfan1
5/24/2010, 09:03 AM
^and a smart man.... Knew when to get the F out of Dodge to avoid sanctions due to his labor.

mightysooner
5/31/2010, 11:53 PM
Based off how our coaching has been the last 5 years. Not sure we have the staff put together now to win another title. When we come up against top tier coached programs we lose.

^^^^^^^^This

Stoops only wins NT's when he puts a complete product on the field. And by complete, I mean a team that has difference makers on offense, defense, and special teams all clicking together in the same season like 2000.

Curly Bill
5/31/2010, 11:59 PM
I'd like to thank you brave men in coming forward and saying we don't have the coaching staff to win a NC. It's something I've believed for sometime now.

It's not a message that always goes over well here, but I feel it is the truth.

This is not a shot at Bob either, I think Bob is capable of winning the NC, I just don't think either of his coordinators are up to it, and whatever BJW is coaching these days prolly isn't up to it either.

Collier11
6/1/2010, 12:06 AM
you and NickZepp, impressive

Collier11
6/1/2010, 12:07 AM
Okay, I mistyped, he won one and was awarded another. I think we can all admit that Pete was one of the best college coaches we've seen in some time.

Absolutely he was, still only has 1 though :D

Herr Scholz
6/1/2010, 12:12 AM
I'd like to thank you brave men in coming forward and saying we don't have the coaching staff to win a NC. It's something I've believed for sometime now.
As a fan of a team that lost 5 in a row to the likes of Mike Leach, Mark Mangino and Mike Stoops on your staff, I will back this up. I'd say the UT staff is better right now.

yankee
6/1/2010, 12:46 AM
As a fan of a team that lost 5 in a row to the likes of Mike Leach, Mark Mangino and Mike Stoops on your staff, I will back this up. I'd say the UT staff is better right now.

greg davis is teh suck.

Herr Scholz
6/1/2010, 12:49 AM
greg davis is teh suck.

No.

yankee
6/1/2010, 12:55 AM
there's a first...

Curly Bill
6/1/2010, 04:09 PM

On this I have to agree with you.

Curly Bill
6/1/2010, 04:10 PM

Mmmmm....Kool Aid! :D

ndpruitt03
6/1/2010, 04:13 PM

I mean just look at the record from 2000-2004 then 2005-2009 and we've probably sent more players to the pros in the 2nd half of the decade than in the first half. There's something disconnected there and it isn't the talent.

Collier11
6/1/2010, 04:15 PM
Just played for a natl title 2 years ago...also, in the 2nd half of the decade we have had The Bomar fiasco and The Bradford Injury

Curly Bill
6/1/2010, 04:18 PM
in the 2nd half of the decade we have had The Bomar fiasco and The Bradford Injury

All of which can be blamed on KW and BV. :D

Pricetag
6/1/2010, 04:21 PM
If he stays another decade, OU will likely have 2-4 more NCG appearances and the ball will bounce our way at least once -- maybe twice.
I think if he wins one more, he wins two more. We're never going to have the kind of players we had in 2000 again, those guys who are ready to chew their own limbs off to win. I think they've been trying to figure out how to get a commensurate amount of effort out of the guys who have much more talent ever since 2005 when we lost the last of that 2000 bunch. If it clicks, it is likely to happen more than once, IMO. It may never happen, though.

Collier11
6/1/2010, 04:29 PM
All of which can be blamed on KW and BV. :D

So whose fault was 03?

Collier11
6/1/2010, 04:30 PM
I think if he wins one more, he wins two more. We're never going to have the kind of players we had in 2000 again, those guys who are ready to chew their own limbs off to win. I think they've been trying to figure out how to get a commensurate amount of effort out of the guys who have much more talent ever since 2005 when we lost the last of that 2000 bunch. If it clicks, it is likely to happen more than once, IMO. It may never happen, though.

Disagree...that team still nearly lost 3 or 4 games. Its all about getting the breaks, winning a natl title is really hard. Its just that some around here make it like it is easy

Curly Bill
6/1/2010, 04:33 PM
So whose fault was 03?

Who is: Brack Obama, Alex. :P

ndpruitt03
6/1/2010, 04:37 PM
Just played for a natl title 2 years ago...also, in the 2nd half of the decade we have had The Bomar fiasco and The Bradford Injury

Why was Bomar ever starting? He never showed he was that good a QB on the field yet he started. Thompson should have started all the way and needed to grow as a QB. The next year he was really good as a starter. Bomar didn't even know how to take snaps.

Collier11
6/1/2010, 04:38 PM
Guess you dont remember the final 5 games of that season, he was pretty darn good. Had a few 4th quarter comebacks as well

Collier11
6/1/2010, 04:39 PM
Who is: Brack Obama, Alex. :P

You got me there :O

goingoneight
6/1/2010, 04:42 PM
Pete has 1* last I checked

FIFY. ;)

goingoneight
6/1/2010, 05:08 PM

It's not a message that always goes over well here, but I feel it is the truth.

This is not a shot at Bob either, I think Bob is capable of winning the NC, I just don't think either of his coordinators are up to it, and whatever BJW is coaching these days prolly isn't up to it either.

BJW has moved back to where he was best at if you consider the two areas he's handled at OU. We need BJW unless there's another big-time Tejas recruiter out there. BJW and BV are among the most respected recruiters in the country down in Tejas. We might be able to get someone better... who knows? But how long do you keep a guy who can bring a a Bob Stoops defense without giving him keys to the house (see: Muschamp)?

I know we've seen better collective efforts at times, but it's not like the LSU and UF game were just out-of-reach. We fumbled and turned our way over and out of those games. I know that's the ifs and buts game... but... merrrgh... but Iglesias or Manny Johnson holds onto a couple of perfectly thrown passes that night, we're in position for monumental victories. Kejuan Jones and Mark Clayton both dropped passes IN THE ENDZONE against LSU. Manny Johnson dropped a pass perfectly thrown WHEN HE WAS WIDE OPEN against UF. As much as we might want to bask KW for the goal line calls to CB... it's not like we were tearing it up with oppotunities in the passing game.

I'm patient because as frustrating as a loss is in a BCS game is... I still know we're one of the top staffs in the country. If you feel there's a better guy here or there, convince their staff members to leave jobs like ALABAMA, TEXAS and FLORIDA to come here. We're a top-notch program, but we don't have the kinda pull to make lateral movements happen like that.

The defensive staff changes this off-season will be interesting to see how they play out in coming years. BV is where he's best at, coaching LBs... BJW is back where he made things happen from 1999-2004 (three MNC appearances in that time frame 1-and-2). It's on Martinez. Is he really a good DB coach or does the SEC just suck at offense? I think it may be a little of both. Even in the most dominant SEC victories, I've never come away from a matchup thinking any of those offenses were anything impossible to defend.

I HAVE to disagree with the assessment of KW by the trigger-happy coach-firing crowd. He's developed talent VERY well in his time here. 2009 aside, given the impossible task of fielding a healthy team for even two series, let alone two weeks in a row, 2006 was a great job, 2007 and 2008 were masterful jobs. Before the "it was the players, not the coach" argument comes into play... who brought those guys along? How many people wanted Iglesias, Johnson, Bradford, who wanted to take a chance on JUCO Loadholt, etc.? KW's been a big part of GREAT success the whole time he's been here.

Most of the time, the difference between "this coaching staff is great" and "fire the coach!" is really...
"will Reggie catch the ball or muff the punt?"
"C'mon Iggy, you got him beat-- get it!-- AWWWW... :("
"Use your 360-lb frame and knock Jermaine Cunningham's azz off the ball, Phil! WTF, man?"
"Is our starter healthy yet?"

:mack: has a solid coaching staff down at UT... but he found out he's no different than Stoops was in October the minute his starting QB went down for the count.

Collier11
6/1/2010, 05:11 PM
Weve played in 4 natl title games in 11 years with a slew of changing coaches, we had a chance to win 2 of the lost games in the 4th quarter. Its not like our coaches are incompetent, our players just didnt make the plays

ndpruitt03
6/1/2010, 05:13 PM
Bomar played well about 2 games. And one of those was against OSU so that doesn't really count.

Collier11
6/1/2010, 05:45 PM
Baylor, Neb, A&M, Osu, and the Holiday bowl (minus the retard move on the goalline at the end of the game)

MeMyself&Me
6/1/2010, 06:40 PM
He played better later on in the season but I wouldn't say it was good. Didn't he finish with something like 10 TDs and 10 INTs? I got to think that if he had 5 good games that year that he'd finish a little better than that.

ndpruitt03
6/1/2010, 06:45 PM
He played better later on in the season but I wouldn't say it was good. Didn't he finish with something like 10 TDs and 10 INTs? I got to think that if he had 5 good games that year that he'd finish a little better than that.

I think he also lost like 8 fumbles that year and fumbled it a lot more than that.

Collier11
6/1/2010, 08:00 PM
and I think at one point he had 2tds and 8ints, something like that. He played well down the stretch including game winning drives in Nebraska and against A&M