PDA

View Full Version : Why so high on Donald Stephenson and Tom Wort?

htownsooner7
5/15/2010, 01:37 PM
Read a number of different things that Stephenson is the new left tackle and that the coaches really like him. Given how decimated our line was last year, how good could he be if didn't get on the field during that mess? Any insights would be appreciated. I also have questions about Tom Wort, everyone assumes that he's the next big thing and that our linebacking corps won't take a hit, but I think losing Reynolds and Clayton hurts. I'm particularly troubled by the fact that neither one of these guys has ever started a college game and they play very important positions where learning on the job can cost a team the game. Not trying to be a downer, just looking for discussion on these two players who will be very important for this team in 2010.

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2010, 01:39 PM
Stephenson had off the field issues that were keeping him, well, off the field.

starclassic tama
5/15/2010, 01:42 PM
yeah, stephenson was suspended all of last year. as for wort, i think it's a combination of his high school highlight tape, the fact that he was highly recruited, and how highly the coaches speak of him. for the most part, other than kevin wilson touting the o-line play last year, when stoops or venables speak that highly of a young guy it's for good reason. my question with wort is his size, he's listed at 6'0 220 but he looks smaller then that even...

htownsooner7
5/15/2010, 01:52 PM
To compound the size issue for Wort, his big asset was speed and its tough to come back from a major surgery like the one he had.

TahoeSOONER
5/15/2010, 01:53 PM
If Wort is keeping Box off the field as a starter then he must doing something right, which I'm interested to see how it truly play's out on the field. It's all speculation on my part because right now I'm just guessing. BV knows linebacker play and Box is no slouch. All I know is that OU has some young, talented and athletic linebackers.

rawlingsHOH
5/15/2010, 02:21 PM
Read a number of different things that Stephenson is the new left tackle and that the coaches really like him. Given how decimated our line was last year, how good could he be if didn't get on the field during that mess? Any insights would be appreciated.
he was the 2nd best lineman on campus last year. hard to play when suspended

I also have questions about Tom Wort, everyone assumes that he's the next big thing and that our linebacking corps won't take a hit, but I think losing Reynolds and Clayton hurts. I'm particularly troubled by the fact that neither one of these guys has ever started a college game and they play very important positions where learning on the job can cost a team the game. Not trying to be a downer, just looking for discussion on these two players who will be very important for this team in 2010.

we'll be better at LB this year. RR was a favorite but extremely limited in range.

Collier11
5/15/2010, 02:30 PM
he was the 2nd best lineman on campus last year. hard to play when suspended

we'll be better at LB this year. RR was a favorite but extremely limited in range.

These ^

htownsooner7
5/15/2010, 02:56 PM
Why are you so sure we'll be better at linebacker this year? How much better could we get? We were like 7th in yards allowed. This whole we'll be better means you are saying that Wort and Lewis are better right now than Reynolds and Clayton. I think they have 1 start between them. Kinda sounds like what people were saying about the oline last year.

RedstickSooner
5/15/2010, 03:02 PM
Why are you so sure we'll be better at linebacker this year? How much better could we get? We were like 7th in yards allowed. This whole we'll be better means you are saying that Wort and Lewis are better right now than Reynolds and Clayton. I think they have 1 start between them. Kinda sounds like what people were saying about the oline last year.

Ahh, but you forget, Htown -- we're *usually* really, really good during the offseason.

It's only once the season starts that pesky problems crop up.

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2010, 04:03 PM
I'm pretty sure Lewis has started more than one game, hasn't he?

gaylordfan1
5/15/2010, 04:20 PM
I'm pretty sure Lewis has started more than one game, hasn't he?

I think he got his only start against Stanford, now, he played a lot on special teams and in mop up duty during the season. He got a fare amount of snaps though.

They have always been high on Stephenson, like others have said he was suspended during last season. Which was very unfortunate. I only hope he can keep his head in the right place this season.

Coach V has said several times that Wort has not missed a beat during spring practice following his knee injury(speed wise). All of our statements are speculation at this time of the year. Nobody can has really seen him in game-like situations other than the coaches... esp Coach V. So, we are going off their impressions. He has gotten a lot bigger from last year. They had him working his upper body during his recovery during the season. He is pretty thick now, so IMO his size is fine.

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2010, 04:28 PM
Wait, are we talking Travis or Ronnell?

JLEW1818
5/15/2010, 04:30 PM
Ronnell i guess. Hope he keeps it up. Hard hitting.

hopefully Stephenson is Broyles like.... coaches knew he would be great, but didn't play him for a year. obvously way different positions... but if Ryan Broyles plays left tackle this season, is it really that surprising? :D

gaylordfan1
5/15/2010, 04:38 PM
I was talking about Ronnell. Travis Lewis has started every game since his RS Fresh year.

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2010, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I think that's the disconnect.

tulsaoilerfan
5/15/2010, 05:44 PM
Read a number of different things that Stephenson is the new left tackle and that the coaches really like him. Given how decimated our line was last year, how good could he be if didn't get on the field during that mess? Any insights would be appreciated. I also have questions about Tom Wort, everyone assumes that he's the next big thing and that our linebacking corps won't take a hit, but I think losing Reynolds and Clayton hurts. I'm particularly troubled by the fact that neither one of these guys has ever started a college game and they play very important positions where learning on the job can cost a team the game. Not trying to be a downer, just looking for discussion on these two players who will be very important for this team in 2010.

Like others said, Stephenson was suspended and Wort would have played alot last year if not for the knee injury; unfortunately, after a major knee surgery it's usually the second year back before most players are as good as they were before

AlbqSooner
5/15/2010, 06:57 PM
Lewis has shown he is a head hunter. Wort, I saw in the spring game last year. He had tremendous closing speed, great range and he brought Lewis like collisions. We will have to see how his surgery has impacted his speed and range.

ashley
5/15/2010, 07:13 PM
The coaches thought he would start last year. He was that impressive in spring drills.

VA Sooner
5/15/2010, 07:37 PM
Wort was impressive in spring ball 2009 and in the fall just before he tore one of the ligaments in his knee. He had speed, instincts, and was a very hard hitter. Between him and Ronnell, it will be difficult to tell who the harder hitter will be. We'll be good on linebacker, lots of talent and go two deep. I can't wait to see the backers in action. I feel for the other team's offense... but not much.

There will be a rotation of cornerbacks, I suspect, to determine who actually has the cover skills against good receivers. Will need to get that up to speed quickly as we've got a very tough non-conference schedule.

stoopified
5/15/2010, 07:39 PM
With Hammer Lewis,Travis Lewis, and Box coming back we will be solid at LB ,even without Wort.IF Wort is ready to go,I too think we could be better than last year at LB.

htownsooner7
5/15/2010, 09:19 PM
I was talking about Ronnell Lewis. He looked good to me, particularly on special teams. However, I'm hesitant to annoint him and Wort as better than Reynolds and Clayton when those guys are much more battle tested.

Breadburner
5/15/2010, 10:53 PM
I will take the staff's word for it.......

rawlingsHOH
5/16/2010, 12:44 AM

Travis should be a little better, and whoever starts at Mike I'd consider an upgrade.

I consider the "SLB" position a DB, as he is lined up nickel at 75% of the time anyway. And if you are talking about a standard, in the box, SAM backer, Ronnell fills that suit just fine! So good they prefered him on the field as a true frosh against Stanford last year, over other options.

rawlingsHOH
5/16/2010, 12:51 AM
I was talking about Ronnell Lewis. He looked good to me, particularly on special teams. However, I'm hesitant to annoint him and Wort as better than Reynolds and Clayton when those guys are much more battle tested.
I did like Clayton's athleticism as the nickel-hybrid in a spread happy conference. We'll still be better back there.

The real problem is replacing Gerald McCoy. Linebacker, non issue.

HillbillyRay
5/16/2010, 09:46 AM
I agree, I am more concerned with McFarland and the play of the corners, there is planty of talent and potential i just want to see it translate to on the field. As far as Wort i will take BVs word, he knows LBs

SoonerFah
5/16/2010, 02:07 PM
I guess I am in the minority, because I believe we will miss Ryan Reynolds greatly. I realize he was 2 steps slower than he used to be, but he was the brains of the entire defense. I still remember the impact of not having him against Texas 2 years ago. Hopefully, Box and or Wort are better prepared to take over the middle than we were that day in Dallas.

As far as the line goes... couldn't be much worse than last year. From what I saw in limited spring videos, it looks like the staff is putting emphasis on putting your hand on the ground and driving people off the ball. I expect to see the run game much improved from last season.

rawlingsHOH
5/16/2010, 02:58 PM
I guess I am in the minority, because I believe we will miss Ryan Reynolds greatly. I realize he was 2 steps slower than he used to be, but he was the brains of the entire defense. I still remember the impact of not having him against Texas 2 years ago. Hopefully, Box and or Wort are better prepared to take over the middle than we were that day in Dallas.

As far as "the brain" goes. It was actually Travis Lewis who started becoming the QB of the defense late last season. And highlighted by a shutout of Okla State. We are beyond sound there.

Tigeman
5/16/2010, 05:43 PM
As to Wort... If you'll remember coming out of HS at his All-American game, he dominated EVERYBODY! That game alone caused him to jump up like 20 spots in the ESPN 150. He's all Luginbill could talk about for a few weeks after that game, even though he was already signed.

goingoneight
5/16/2010, 08:12 PM
If Wort is keeping Box off the field as a starter then he must doing something right, which I'm interested to see how it truly play's out on the field. It's all speculation on my part because right now I'm just guessing. BV knows linebacker play and Box is no slouch. All I know is that OU has some young, talented and athletic linebackers.

He ran with the first team for the OSU and Stanford practices. Just too late to burn a redshirt for nothing more than an 8-5 team.

gaylordfan1
5/16/2010, 08:28 PM
He ran with the first team for the OSU and Stanford practices. Just too late to burn a redshirt for nothing more than an 8-5 team.

I didn't know he was rehabbed at that time.... good to know.

NormanPride
5/17/2010, 10:36 AM
Is Wort ahead of Box right now? I thought Box was still the "starter" in the middle? I would be shocked if he's bumped out of that position.

Jello Biafra
5/17/2010, 11:01 AM
yeah, stephenson was suspended all of last year. as for wort, i think it's a combination of his high school highlight tape, the fact that he was highly recruited, and how highly the coaches speak of him. for the most part, other than kevin wilson touting the o-line play last year, when stoops or venables speak that highly of a young guy it's for good reason. my question with wort is his size, he's listed at 6'0 220 but he looks smaller then that even...

size is not everything...in fact, size/speed has very little to do with the lienbacker position.

intelligence (which puts you in a position to make a play) and heart have as much to do with it as your physical talents. ever heard of teddy bruschi? dat nguyen?zac thomas?mike singletary?

all of these dudes were LISTED at 6'0 or below. course, now that i look at it, bruschi was listed at 6'1" but i think we ALL know he isnt 6'1".

rawlingsHOH
5/17/2010, 01:02 PM
Is Wort ahead of Box right now? I thought Box was still the "starter" in the middle? I would be shocked if he's bumped out of that position.

Seems like the coaches (at least BV) want Wort to have the job. I have had no problems with Box's play when we've seen him. Especially in this conference.

Collier11
5/17/2010, 01:08 PM
Im sure there is something that us outsiders are missing but im with you Rawlings, when Box has been in there it seems like he has made plays for the most part.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/17/2010, 01:11 PM
I'll have to see stephenson do something on the field before I believe the hype..I know the videos posted last year showing the oklahoma drill, he was the lineman that was blown up on about every one of those highlights..of course those guys he was going against were pretty good also

starclassic tama
5/17/2010, 01:18 PM

box isn't even a middle backer anymore, he is the backup on the strong side. i doubt he sees the field much at all this year unless it's special teams. wort is the starter at mike.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/football-depth-chart.html

TahoeSOONER
5/17/2010, 01:27 PM
Like I said, saying Wort is ahead of Box is pure speculation. Box has done nothing but impress and has more experience than Wort but from what I've read Wort has a huge upside. Either way, Box will see the field and OU should be just fine at LB.

Jello Biafra
5/17/2010, 01:33 PM
box isn't even a middle backer anymore, he is the backup on the strong side. i doubt he sees the field much at all this year unless it's special teams. wort is the starter at mike.

thats going to change several times before the first snap of the season. all that means is, as of feb9, he was a backup at SLB. but, if it comes out that he IS SLB backup, can you imagine how good these linebackers are/can be?

Jello Biafra
5/17/2010, 01:34 PM
Like I said, saying Wort is ahead of Box is pure speculation. Box has done nothing but impress and has more experience than Wort but from what I've read Wort has a huge upside. Either way, Box will see the field and OU should be just fine at LB.

agreed. like i said, can you imagine just how good this linebacking corps is with a player like box as a backup?

starclassic tama
5/17/2010, 01:42 PM
i've never been much impressed with box... he's a quality public pisser, wort is the man in the middle. he will start from day one, if not, call me soonerus

stoops the eternal pimp
5/17/2010, 01:50 PM
i've never been much impressed with box... he's a quality public pisser, wort is the man in the middle. he will start from day one, if not, call me soonerus

agreed...I have not seen anything from Box that shows anything more than a solid backup

Chiliman
5/17/2010, 03:22 PM

That "depth" chart doesn't mean much. In the Spring, Box rarely lined up @SLB and Franklin rarely lined up @ MLB.

Ryan Reynolds told me that Box had a great spring. First spring he's been healthy for in 2 years. Ryan said Box was first on the depth chart @ MLB @ the end of spring practice. Guess we'll see come fall.

NormanPride
5/17/2010, 03:24 PM
He was a cheap shot away from starting for us in the 08 MNC game. Of course, as soon as he went out against OSU we (read: Balogun) started blowing them up...

rawlingsHOH
5/17/2010, 04:12 PM
He was a cheap shot away from starting for us in the 08 MNC game. Of course, as soon as he went out against OSU we (read: Balogun) started blowing them up...
Short memories. The weeks leading up, Box pretty much owned it. Especially impressive against Texas Tech and A&M. And he was having a decent game against OSU too.

Balogun was completely exposed in the UF game (to be expected, he had such little experience). But IMO, if we had Box and Murray, we win the NC.

Chiliman
5/17/2010, 04:37 PM
Short memories. The weeks leading up, Box pretty much owned it. Especially impressive against Texas Tech and A&M. And he was having a decent game against OSU too.

Balogun was completely exposed in the UF game (to be expected, he had such little experience). But IMO, if we had Box and Murray, we win the NC.

Yep

NormanPride
5/17/2010, 04:50 PM

Agreed. I think Box had his weaknesses that year, but that's to be expected since I think he was put in the role too early in his development.

SoonerShay
5/17/2010, 05:06 PM
I've read that Box might be the starter at MLB to start the season actually. He apparently had a great spring.

gaylordfan1
5/18/2010, 08:50 AM
I have only read that Wort was the guy.... Haven't seen anything about Box having the upper hand.

NOVSooner
5/18/2010, 12:14 PM
i think if we have this as a "problem" that we'll be fine in the LB corps, regardless of who's starting vs who's the backup

diegosooner
5/22/2010, 01:20 PM
I expect us to be as good if not better at LB, compared to last year. Regarding the OL, it all depends on the injury factor. We'll be good, maybe very good, if healthy.