PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Andre Johnson

PLaw
5/15/2010, 09:39 AM
Here is another Barry gem from another board:

Originally posted by 12233

Posted: Yesterday 4:44 PM

RE: Tivia. I remember a one word response from DKR......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the story about recruiting Andre Johnson, a D-back out of Houston. Bobby Procter, one of Switzer's assistants, had been dispatched to Houston to make an in-home call on the Johnsons. When he returned, he reported that Mrs. Johnson met him at the front door and wouldn't let him in. She told him that Andre was going to Texas and nowhere but Texas.

Barry decided to give it a try. When he showed up at the Johnson home, Mrs. Johnson answered the door and spoke to him through a closed screen door. She told him she knew who he was and said her son was not going to OU, he was going to Texas. And she asked Barry to leave.

Barry had grown up in a black neighborhood and his best friend was a black kid. He spent lots of time at his buddy's house and loved a dish that his friend's mother often fixed called "cracklin' bread. It was strictly soul food... not something you would find in a white family's kitchen.

As Barry stood on the Johnson's porch he caught a whiff of something he remembered well from his childhood. He said, "Mrs. Johnson, is that cracklin' bread I smell?" Mrs. Johnson replied, "What would YOU know about cracklin' bread?" Barry explained about his friend's mother and told Mrs. Johnson that he loved craclin' bread and hadn't had any in years. At that point, she let Barry in the house, took him to the kitchen and fed him two pans of cracklin' bread. When Barry left the Johnson home later that evening, he had another pan of cracklin' bread that Mrs Johnson had given him for the trip back to Norman...AND... a signed letter of intent from Andre. Barry was the King and still is.

BOOMER

XingTheRubicon
5/15/2010, 10:28 AM
Can you imagine DKKKR trying to compete with that...

Hey, is that some sort of ethnic food I smell?

Leroy Lizard
5/15/2010, 11:45 AM
"Do you have any corn bread and buttermilk?"

Tigeman
5/15/2010, 12:23 PM
Bring Barry back as recruiting coordinator! :D :rolleyes:

oudavid1
5/15/2010, 12:34 PM
I gue$$ texa$ didnt offer him a $cholar$hip yet?

47straight
5/16/2010, 01:57 PM
I thought I had heard the story with Lydell Carr, but I'm getting old.

Flagstaffsooner
5/16/2010, 02:43 PM
Who was it where he took off his shoes in the living room and ate chitlins?

tulsaoilerfan
5/16/2010, 04:16 PM
I thought I had heard the story with Lydell Carr, but I'm getting old.

Nope it was Andre Johnson; his momma also said that if he went to OU, he wasn't go to be playing in any secondary he would be in the firstdary :D

tulsaoilerfan
5/16/2010, 04:17 PM
Who was it where he took off his shoes in the living room and ate chitlins?

Think he took off his shoes at Keith Jackson's but not 100% sure

XingTheRubicon
5/16/2010, 04:19 PM
pine bluff, ar would be a good guess to find someone shoeless

KantoSooner
5/17/2010, 11:06 AM
If you can't get real cracklin's, then get a bag of pork rinds, crush it up pretty good and add it to your cornbread batter.
Not a bad stand-in if you have 'go with what you've got'.

Doyen
5/17/2010, 11:36 AM
Bring Barry back as recruiting coordinator! :D :rolleyes:

^ second