PDA

View Full Version : Worst Russell Crowe Movie Ever

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2010, 07:04 AM
Robin Hood.

Yes, worse than that one.

I want to fight that movie and drown its kittens.

MR2-Sooner86
5/15/2010, 07:24 AM
Really? I was thinking it'd be Gladiator...in medieval times. Guess not?

Crucifax Autumn
5/15/2010, 07:41 AM
Strangely, just like Costner before him, he's having arguments with reporters about the accents.

MR2-Sooner86
5/15/2010, 08:37 AM
Kevin Costner...has that guy ever played in a good movie?

delhalew
5/15/2010, 08:46 AM
Not to rub it in...but I saw that coming. I like Crowe, but that movie had turd written all over it.

Crucifax Autumn
5/15/2010, 09:53 AM

Only one I ever liked was No Way Out, but that's been over 25 years ago.

soonerinabilene
5/15/2010, 09:54 AM

bull durham, field of dreams

Crucifax Autumn
5/15/2010, 09:57 AM
Heh...so if he wants his career back he needs a bat and a ball?

ndpruitt03
5/15/2010, 10:21 AM
Heh...so if he wants his career back he needs a bat and a ball?

Didn't work for him in For the Love of the Game

The last movie he did that I like is Tin Cup, that was about 15 years ago.

I still can't think of a Russell Crowe movie I really ever liked. 3:10 to Yuma was okay.

MR2-Sooner86
5/15/2010, 10:22 AM
After Waterworld I'm not sure I can ever take him seriously again.

Stitch Face
5/15/2010, 10:23 AM
Dances with Wolves.

Or you may know it better now as "Avatar."

Crucifax Autumn
5/15/2010, 10:26 AM
Waterworld sucked, but at least it had Dennis Hopper in all his over the top glory.

DWW was great the first time I saw it, okay the second, and boring as **** the third.

Okla-homey
5/15/2010, 10:55 AM
Russell Crowe was in one truly superb movie; "Cinderella Man"

I highly recommend it.

Russell Crowe was in a good movie: "Master and Commander"

I recommend it.

The rest...not so much.

XingTheRubicon
5/15/2010, 11:01 AM
fandango, silverado, bull durham, field of dreams and yes, for love of the game. That quote he had in FLOTG when he pleaded with God to make his arm stop hurting for 10 more minutes....with Vin Scully announcing was awesome. Especially if you've ever felt that pain standing on a mound with your arm throbbing from your shoulder to your fingertips.

XingTheRubicon
5/15/2010, 11:04 AM

I highly recommend it.

I recommend it.

The rest...not so much.

2nd for Cinderella Man.

MR2-Sooner86
5/15/2010, 11:07 AM

I highly recommend it.

I recommend it.

The rest...not so much.

How can you overlook Gladiator? Yes, the second half of the film drags a little but the fight scenes are ****ing bad ***!

lexsooner
5/15/2010, 11:52 AM
How can you overlook Gladiator? Yes, the second half of the film drags a little but the fight scenes are ****ing bad ***!

Fine flick, as well as A Beautiful Mind and Cinderella Man. Crowe and his movies have a lot more substance than Mel Gibson and his one dimensional comic book movies. Brave Heart was pretty good but mostly fiction; We Were Soldiers was a shallow, comic book movie with a fictional ending; The Patriot - blech! The Passion of Christ? Well, let Gibson's real life conduct speak for itself.

stoopified
5/15/2010, 12:06 PM
Robin Hood would have to suck at a level not measureable by current technology to truly be Crowe's worst movie.I would nominate a movie he was in with Denzel Washington(title escapes me).Crowe played a computer generated badguy who has a hardon for Denzel's character and.they spend the whole movie blowing up crap and trying to kill each other.No plot,just carnage from beginning to end.

MR2-Sooner86
5/15/2010, 12:06 PM
Brave Heart was pretty good but mostly fiction; We Were Soldiers was a shallow, comic book movie with a fictional ending; The Patriot - blech! The Passion of Christ? Well, let Gibson's real life conduct speak for itself.

Brave Heart was good but too damn long. We Were Soldiers I thought was rather good. Patriot is good as a movie, not a historical film. I'd put it up there with 300 as a good guys vs. evil bad guys type film.

JLEW1818
5/15/2010, 12:25 PM
so i just got a haircut. the lady asked me if Robin Hood was any good. I said a guy online said it sucked.

Frozen, is it worth saving the 8 bucks and not seeing it? Is the cartoon still better?

lexsooner
5/15/2010, 12:31 PM
Brave Heart was good but too damn long. We Were Soldiers I thought was rather good. Patriot is good as a movie, not a historical film. I'd put it up there with 300 as a good guys vs. evil bad guys type film.

I don't think any of Gibson's movies are considered historical films - Braveheart was mostly fictional - Wallace was actually from a prominent land-owning family, not a simple Scottish peasant. The murder of the wife was not true. England and Scotland actually had good relations until Edward I ruled - there were not centuries of raping and pillaging like the movie portrays. Robert the Bruce never betrayed Wallace. The French woman who married the gay prince who would be Edward II, never had any contact with Wallace. In reality, the future French queen and her son, Edward III, later conspired to murder Edward II, and they actually continued to invade Scotland. And in reality, some years after Scotland became "free" at the end of the movie, Scotland again fell under English rule for many centuries until England gave Scotland its independence.

I always thought I Drang valley was considered a debacle by the U.S. Army, a hard dose of reality about the escalating Vietnam war. To try and make it heroic with Gibson shooting NVA left and right while standing upright, and ending the movie with a totally untrue bayonet charge, is just pure fiction - really bad comic book fiction, IMHO.

Oh, I also liked American Gangster with Crowe and Denzel Washington. That was based on reality and was more real than all of Gibson's comic book movies together.

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2010, 01:41 PM
so i just got a haircut. the lady asked me if Robin Hood was any good. I said a guy online said it sucked.

Frozen, is it worth saving the 8 bucks and not seeing it? Is the cartoon still better?

My hatred for Gladiator is well-documented on this forum.

Robin Hood is the worst Russell Crowe movie. It outstrips Gladiator by a country mile.

Take whatever you will from that.

MR2-Sooner86
5/15/2010, 02:05 PM

New to me. So why did you hate it?

soonerboomer93
5/15/2010, 02:12 PM

I recommend it.

The best part of that movie, I was sleeping like a baby 10 minutes into it

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2010, 02:15 PM
New to me. So why did you hate it?

Overwrought, overproduced, underplotted dreck.

JLEW1818
5/15/2010, 02:28 PM

Robin Hood is the worst Russell Crowe movie. It outstrips Gladiator by a country mile.

Take whatever you will from that.

I didn't like Gladiator either.

GrapevineSooner
5/15/2010, 02:46 PM
I liked Mystery, Alaska.

And L.A. Confidential.

But that wasn't necessarily because of Russell Crowe in either film.

JLEW1818
5/15/2010, 02:48 PM
i liked 3:10 to Yuma

Salt City Sooner
5/15/2010, 03:50 PM
Robin Hood would have to suck at a level not measureable by current technology to truly be Crowe's worst movie.I would nominate a movie he was in with Denzel Washington(title escapes me).Crowe played a computer generated badguy who has a hardon for Denzel's character and.they spend the whole movie blowing up crap and trying to kill each other.No plot,just carnage from beginning to end.
Virtuosity; which, FWIW, had a very young Kaley Cuoco in it as well.

Okla-homey
5/15/2010, 03:53 PM

The only part of "Gladiator" was the first fifteen minutes. The best line? "Unleash Hell."

I have fantacised that Bob Stoops uttered those words in the locker room before the '08 Texas Tech game in Norman.:D

yankee
5/15/2010, 06:54 PM
american gangster was a bad *** movie...

soonerhubs
5/15/2010, 07:45 PM
Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind have great soundtracks. That's all I've got to add.

stoopified
5/15/2010, 08:05 PM
Virtuosity; which, FWIW, had a very young Kaley Cuoco in it as well.Yup,thats the one. BTW I think Cinderella Man is not only Crowe's best movie but one of THE BEST movies of all time.

GKeeper316
5/15/2010, 10:58 PM

Revenge with Anthony Quinn and Madeline Stowe was a great great movie... Brian DePalma directed it. JFK was good, and as mentioned before, Bull Durham was one of the best sports movies ever made.

and I don't care what anyone says... I thought Tin Cup was good as well.

Curly Bill
5/15/2010, 11:04 PM
Well, I don't care what you movie snobs say - I liked Gladiator.

SicEmBaylor
5/16/2010, 06:32 PM
As far as Costner goes, I liked Thirteen Days a lot. I thought it was a very underrated.

fadada1
5/16/2010, 09:06 PM
costner - 3000 miles to graceland is a cool flick, imo.

as for robin hood... this or any others... donald duck, by far, had the best performance. no need to thank me for reminding you all of that.

Soonerfan88
5/17/2010, 12:21 AM
Whether you like this movie or not seems to be based on people's expectations. If you think it is the same old Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves story with lots of fighting and action scenes, you will definitely be disappointed. Even the trailers tell you it is the story of how Robin Hood became an outlaw. Think of it as a prequel. Overall, I thought it was a good movie.

GottaHavePride
5/17/2010, 11:29 AM
A Beautiful Mind had Jennifer Connelly. That's all I've got to add.

Fixed. ;)

TMcGee86
5/17/2010, 11:51 AM
costner - 3000 miles to graceland is a cool flick, imo.

as for robin hood... this or any others... donald duck, by far, had the best performance. no need to thank me for reminding you all of that.

You mean Daffy?

badger
5/17/2010, 12:08 PM
I recently watched the Disney version with NP - Hiss the snake is the greatest character in the movie and he spends most of it getting tied in knots, tossed in baskets or jugs of ale :D

As for summer flicks, looking forward more to what's coming than what's already out. Color me crazy, but I'm kind of looking forward to the Karate Kid (Kung Fu Kid?) remake. It has Jackie Chan!!!!

John Kochtoston
5/17/2010, 12:19 PM
Mystery, Alaska and State of Play are really god Russell Crowe flicks. American Gangster is decent. But, yeah Gladiator is a popcorn movie that won an Oscar because of a historically weak field.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/17/2010, 12:30 PM
Cary Elwes > all other Robin Hoods combined

sooneron
5/17/2010, 12:32 PM
Mystery, Alaska and State of Play are really god Russell Crowe flicks. American Gangster is decent. But, yeah Gladiator is a popcorn movie that won an Oscar because of a historically weak field.

agree- his best-

1. Cinderella Man - GREAT all around movie
2. The Insider - Very good performance
2a. LA Confidential - good performance in a hella cool movie
3. Beautiful Mind - VG performance , yawn movie
4. Mystery Alaska - good performance - good movie
5. American Gangster - good performance - Denzel ate it up tho.
6. Body Of Lies - Solid, but he seemed to be using his Insider character a bit
7. 3:10 to Yuma - Good - VG western
8. Romper Stomper - More people need to see this film
9. State of Play - Pretty good.
10. Gladiator - a ****load of actors could have played the role, but it's popcorn.

saucysoonergal
5/17/2010, 01:53 PM
The remake of 3:10 to Yuma cannot carry the original's jockstrap.

Are there no new ideas in Hollywood?

Crucifax Autumn
5/17/2010, 02:14 PM
I hate when I've reached my spek limit and STEP posts something aweome!

stoops the eternal pimp
5/17/2010, 02:30 PM
"Because, unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent."

badger
5/17/2010, 02:32 PM
"Because, unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent."

NP said there was some character that was basically "eff it" halfway through Crowe's Robin Hood that dropped any attempt at an accent?

Anyone know which character? Is there a vidya out there yet?

sooneron
5/17/2010, 04:26 PM
The remake of 3:10 to Yuma cannot carry the original's jockstrap.

Yes there are.

edit: okay, since I was called out in spek, here's the deal. Hollywood execs know what people will plop their money down en masse for one thing. That answer is F O R M U L A. Execs only care about one thing - bottom line whilst parlaying some nice bonus $. There are plenty of good ideas and scripts. A lot of them are independent, some are not.
Saying there are no ideas or good films anymore is like saying there aren't any good rock bands around. People that say that are usually too lazy to really look for something different or new and they only pay attention to the blockbuster publicity machine.

fadada1
5/17/2010, 04:34 PM
You mean Daffy?

doh!!! i'm retarded.

MrJimBeam
5/18/2010, 05:23 AM

If Hollywood's gonna remake movies remake "ZULU" and cast Crowe as Lieutenant John Chard and Colin Farrell as Bromhead. Of course Hollywood won't remake that movie cause too many Africans get killt.

I would suggest Crowe as Breaker Morant but that would be heresy. Edward Woodward is the **** in that movie.

OUmillenium
5/18/2010, 10:34 AM
Saw Robin Hood for free yesterday. It was good, for a free movie.

Too long. I thought the period costumes and sets were very realistic. Overdone CGI kills me so that was a bonus - lots of live action. But not enough "Robin Hood" stuff. Need to clip at least 30 min out of this one. Tudors + Gladiator = Robin Hood is not the best formula for success.

I recommend it until something better comes out. I am waiting to see Iron Man II with the wife so Robin Hood was my only choice.

badger
10/28/2010, 11:26 AM
I have to resurrect this thread because I finally got to see it with NP last night on Netflix (new releases are no longer immediately available for rental from Netflix).

About an hour and a half in, I look over at the clock and tell NP that there's at least an hour left and he's like "awww ****" and we start making fun of it instead of appreciate whatever artistic art they were trying to impart.

You know what made Gladiator memorable? You might hate the story and the actors, but at least there was a lot of blood and fight scenes. Robin Hood was rated PG-13. Should have been the first warning sign that something was not going to be awesome about this flick.

Unlike Gladiator, there was also no awesome soundtrack music to remember the film by. NP and I started making fun of that during the final fight scene - picture a low-pitched guy voice going "Bahhhhhh! Bahhhhh!" and a higher pitched female voice shrieking "Ahhhhhhhh! Ahhhhh!" long sustained notes that were without emotion or direction. That was the extend of Robin Hood's soundtrack. It sucked.

Then there were the other filler scenes where there's arrow shooting and attempting british accents. Crowe for the most part sounded like he did in Gladiator. Poor Russ-hole. Just couldn't drop his Aussie-ness. Anyway, these were good moments to toss out random Monty Python lines - ("Must be a king!") or better yet, Homestar Runner lines ("The thatch roof cottages!")

This was definitely supposed to be the prequel in a longer series, but my guess is box office floppage will result in no more crappy robin hood movies.

Sucked. Don't rent, you'll waste two and a half hours of your life that you could have been watching Blake Griffin dunking.

texaspokieokie
10/28/2010, 11:38 AM
i liked Costner very much in "Revenge".

i liked Crowe very much in "LA Confidential".

i never pay any attention to what folks say about a movie. i have to judge for myself.

StoopTroup
10/28/2010, 11:43 AM
The sequel will make the first one better...you just watch! :D ;)

NormanPride
10/28/2010, 11:57 AM
I was shocked at how bad it was. The only thing that differentiated it from a made-for TV movie was the big names. Terrible acting, terrible writing, and a boring as sin plot. Wow.

StoopTroup
10/28/2010, 12:03 PM
All it did for me was keep me asking in my head...Exactly how does all of this tie into the Story Of Robin Hood? We all have seen quite few movies that changed the story up here and there...some offering more Darkness and other more Romance etc...

But in this one...the one thing that really stuck out was...if this is a preqel...how will they get Friar Tuck and RH to to stand off against each other later in the film? All the originals had those two meeting for the first time crossing a stream and fighting each other with Staffs I believe. Maybe I have it wrong. Oh yeah...that was Little John...

See though...it wasn't entertaining as much as it was disturbingly confusing....

The Sheriff of Nottingham was some sort of ghey ***-kissing loser instead of a nemesis also...

sooneron
10/28/2010, 12:08 PM
"Actually, it's a buck and quarter staff, but I aint tellin' him that!!"

http://www.alexross.com/81472-big.jpg

Scott D
10/28/2010, 12:25 PM
the proper answer to this thread is "All Of Them" except for LA Confidential.

picasso
10/28/2010, 12:26 PM

Bull Durham
Fandango

umm...

OhU1
10/28/2010, 12:29 PM
Why do they keep re-making Robin Hood in the first place? Every 2 years there's another version of this over told tale.

Sooneron was the only person that mentioned "Romper Stomper" with Crowe. It's a very early film of his. Crowe is a sullen Australian skin-head goon and quite convincing. There is little trace of the future leading man to be seen in this role.

It's been a long time since I saw Romper Stomper - the main thing I recall is hundreds of pissed off Chinese immigrants finally having enough and chasing this skinhead gang through the 2nd half of the movie. It reminded me of Night of the Living Dead as the immigrants just kept coming in waves while the gang tried to get away.

picasso
10/28/2010, 12:31 PM
Why do they keep re-making Robin Hood in the first place? Every 2 years there's another version of this over told tale.

Sooneron was the only person that mentioned "Romper Stomper" with Crowe. It's a very early film of his. Crowe is a sullen Australian skin-head goon and quite convincing. There is little trace of the future leading man to be seen in this role.

It's been a long time since I saw Romper Stomper - the main thing I recall is hundreds of pissed off Chinese immigrants finally having enough and chasing this skinhead gang through the 2nd half of the movie. It reminded me of Night of the Living Dead as the immigrants just kept coming in waves while the gang tried to get away.

Have you seen the movie Eric Bana was in that was quite similar to this? He was young and BIG and a sociopath. It was a good one.

OhU1
10/28/2010, 12:37 PM
Have you seen the movie Eric Bana was in that was quite similar to this? He was young and BIG and a sociopath. It was a good one.

No, but I'll look for it.

Below is a pic of Crowe from Romper Stomper. He's not real big but he pulled off an intimidating presence.

http://croweitalia.altervista.org/RS/RussellCrowe_RomperStomper_01.jpg

picasso
10/28/2010, 12:40 PM
Here it is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0221073/

sooneron
10/28/2010, 01:41 PM
Here it is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0221073/

Meh, he's no Jake "the Muss" Heke.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/myth_adventuress/Temuera/Jake_c71.jpg

StoopTroup
10/28/2010, 01:45 PM
That's freaky.

picasso
10/28/2010, 02:01 PM
I'm telling ya Bana was a big guy in that flick. I didn't hardly recognize him.

And he can actually act, so that makes him > any tough guy, pro wrestler type.:)

sooneron
10/28/2010, 02:06 PM
Don't you dare talk about Jango Fett that way!
Seriously, want to see a good down undah flick- check out Once Were Warriors. It is ridiculously heavy and somewhat depressing. It's worth it just for Jake's beatdown scene in the bar. Of course, it's a NZ movie so it's > aussie. :D

Morrison is hella good in it. He seems like a box of c4 about to go off at any second. sick

picasso
10/28/2010, 02:17 PM
Don't you dare talk about Jango Fett that way!
Seriously, want to see a good down undah flick- check out Once Were Warriors. It is ridiculously heavy and somewhat depressing. It's worth it just for Jake's beatdown scene in the bar. Of course, it's a NZ movie so it's > aussie. :D

Morrison is hella good in it. He seems like a box of c4 about to go off at any second. sick

I watched that back when it came out. Good flick and great title.

sooneron
10/28/2010, 02:37 PM
BEAT DOWN
nsfw
RCHe-0w9KX8&feature=related

badger
10/28/2010, 02:43 PM
I wish there was something positive I could tell you about this flick, but really, the best cinematic scenes were the ones in the trailer - Russ-hole running out of the water with a sword, then Russ-hole bleeding with a flamey arrow drawn on his bow.

SteelClip49
10/29/2010, 12:42 AM
For all of you saying how bad Gladiator was...Crowe got his Oscar for it. It will always be his best movie.

Best Costner movies, imo.....

1. Dances with Wolves (2 Academy Awards)
2. Field of Dreams
3. The Postman
4. For The Love of The Game
5. Bull Durham

badger
10/29/2010, 08:21 AM
For all of you saying how bad Gladiator was...Crowe got his Oscar for it. It will always be his best movie.

It was kind of screwy that the oscar would go to a big budget flick, when usually those awards are relegated to the touchy feelie flicks. But, hey, they have to stay relevant somehow :P

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2010, 08:23 AM

Milli Vanilli won a Grammy.

texaspokieokie
10/29/2010, 08:29 AM
Crowe was good in "Proof of Life".

this is a terribly negative threaD, LIKE MOST MOVIE THREASD ON so.

Crucifax Autumn
10/29/2010, 08:46 AM
Milli Vanilli won a Grammy.

And Anna Paquin won an Oscar even though she can't act for ****. No matter how much I like the first 2 X-Men movies and True Blood, her acting is about as accomplished as my pole dancing.

StoopTroup
10/29/2010, 09:15 AM
her acting is about as accomplished as my pole dancing.

Any youtubes we should know about? :D

Crucifax Autumn
10/29/2010, 09:24 AM
Tons, but I'm not sharing.

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2010, 09:31 AM
Crowe was good in "Proof of Life".

this is a terribly negative threaD, LIKE MOST MOVIE THREASD ON so.

I find your post about the South Oval movie threads to be terribly negative.

texaspokieokie
10/29/2010, 10:01 AM
I find your post about the South Oval movie threads to be terribly negative.

it would seem more negative if i hadn't misspelled "threads" & hit the
"caps lock" key.

which adults watch "robin hood" movies. i liked the 1st one i saw;but i was probably only about 6 to 8 yrs old. the one that had errol flynn. (i think)

these are for kiddies.

OUthunder
10/29/2010, 10:07 AM
I liked Gladiator, but I'm married with three kids, so the wife and I only see about two non children movies a year, so anything seems good. I hated the western that Crowe did (3.16 to Yuma I Think) and I really wanted to like it. The fight scenes in Gladiator made it worth the price of admission in my books. Plus it had bewbs, I'm easy. :D

His best movie is the boxing movie. Nice flick, good story.

On to Costner... I like his material. I never really understood the negative press that he gets. I thought that Tin Cup was awesome and I thought that Bull Durham and Field of Dreams were both excellent. I even like the romantic baseball movie that he did with Travollta's wife (Kelly Preston I Think). Damn, she still looks fine. Hell I even like the Time in a Bottle movie.

texaspokieokie
10/29/2010, 10:15 AM
i like botha those guys.

i liked LA Confidential because i like most movies that are made in or about LA.

thot it strange that (at least) 2 real people were in it,johnny Stompanato

& Lana Turner. maybe others were real folks, but not ones i remember.
they did mention Mickey Cohen.

Scott D
10/29/2010, 10:49 AM
I think the backlash with Costner is that no matter what the era, no matter what the setting, no matter what the plot. Kevin Costner is playing......Kevin Costner. There's no attempt on his part to be anything other than who he already is.

Part of the reason that Mel Brooks through Cary Elwes took his shot at Costner in Men in Tights with the line of "I'm the only Robin Hood with an English accent."

texaspokieokie
10/29/2010, 11:09 AM
actors are like that. john wayne was always the same.

Big 8
10/29/2010, 11:17 AM
I think the backlash with Costner is that no matter what the era, no matter what the setting, no matter what the plot. Kevin Costner is playing......Kevin Costner. There's no attempt on his part to be anything other than who he already is.

What's wrong with that? So did these great actors. James Stewart. Cary Grant. Humphrey Bogart. Bette Davis. John Wayne. Michael Cera.

StoopTroup
10/29/2010, 11:32 AM
Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp are really good examples of actors who have changed their appearance and performance and given memorable moments on film.

Anthony Hopkins was a bit more subtle in his changes...but still a great Actor. Russell Crow is good but as talented these other guys.

OUthunder
10/29/2010, 11:47 AM
Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp are really good examples of actors who have changed their appearance and performance and given memorable moments on film.

Anthony Hopkins was a bit more subtle in his changes...but still a great Actor. Russell Crow is good but as talented these other guys.

Honestly, the only actor that I can think that is worse than Bard Pitt, is Ben Affleck.

Anthony Hopkins is a fantastic actor.

badger
10/29/2010, 12:33 PM
Honestly, the only actor that I can think that is worse than Bard Pitt, is Ben Affleck.

I, too, am not a fan of Bard Pitt, or other bards for that matter. Eff Shakesphere, eff all you bards! :mad:

Scott D
10/29/2010, 12:50 PM
What's wrong with that? So did these great actors. James Stewart. Cary Grant. Humphrey Bogart. Bette Davis. John Wayne. Michael Cera.

It depends truly, most of them were typecast into certain types of roles. Costner's tried to play different roles...he's suited to the over the hill athlete trying to make a comeback role. Period pieces are not anywhere near his forte, but yet he's tried them multiple times.

How many times did you see John Wayne try to convince you (badly) that he was from an older era in Merry Ole England. Wayne as a Mongol was just painful to see, despite the fact that Hollywood rarely cast anyone that was Asian at the time.

Big 8
10/29/2010, 01:20 PM
http://pics.livejournal.com/glockgal/pic/001960t9

jumperstop
10/29/2010, 01:25 PM
I really like gladiator. That's saying a lot cause I hate most movies...

King Crimson
10/29/2010, 03:39 PM
Crowe was actually pretty good in State of Play, though the US movie version blows balls compared to the UK original.

C&CDean
10/29/2010, 03:51 PM
It depends truly, most of them were typecast into certain types of roles. Costner's tried to play different roles...he's suited to the over the hill athlete trying to make a comeback role. Period pieces are not anywhere near his forte, but yet he's tried them multiple times.

How many times did you see John Wayne try to convince you (badly) that he was from an older era in Merry Ole England. Wayne as a Mongol was just painful to see, despite the fact that Hollywood rarely cast anyone that was Asian at the time.

John Wayne is a cowboy. Period. Green Berets? Nope. McQ? Nope. Rio Bravo? Oh hells yes.

Costner as a washed up ball player? Period. Cavalry officer? Nope. Robin the Hood? Oh hells no. The only problem with this is that I like the RH story, and I did like the movie. Severus Snape as the Sheriff of Nottingham was the win.

EnragedOUfan
10/29/2010, 03:54 PM
Gladiator was awesome. That movie kicked major ace, probably one of my top three favorite movies of all time.

Dances with Wolves kicked ace and still kicks ace. Waterworld was awesome. Kevin Costner's version of Robin Hood was awesome, Russell Crowe's was horrible. Despite that Crowe's version had a different storyline, the movie dragged and was really slow......

EnragedOUfan
10/29/2010, 03:56 PM

I don't know, The Town was bad ace and you can't forget about Armageddon. Acting or not, those Afleck movies were awesome.

OUthunder
10/29/2010, 03:56 PM
I'd also like to add that The Piano had full frontal, just saying. :D

mgsooner
10/29/2010, 04:54 PM
you can't forget about Armageddon

Actually, you can and should.

SteelClip49
10/29/2010, 07:13 PM
Ben Affleck did well in Pearl Harbor.

Scott D
10/29/2010, 07:22 PM
John Wayne is a cowboy. Period. Green Berets? Nope. McQ? Nope. Rio Bravo? Oh hells yes.

Costner as a washed up ball player? Period. Cavalry officer? Nope. Robin the Hood? Oh hells no. The only problem with this is that I like the RH story, and I did like the movie. Severus Snape as the Sheriff of Nottingham was the win.

see, Dean gets it...what's wrong with the rest of you muh****ahs?

See, Alan Rickman, that's a dude that is a versatile actor. Not to mention he's great at toeing that line between being a bad guy you almost like, and being a not quite bad guy that you wish was a bad guy.

So to summarize.

Gary Oldman great actor.
Russell Crowe, not so much.

Scott D
10/29/2010, 07:24 PM

Steven Seagal's best work was in Executive Decision.

What? That's a Kurt Russell movie? Why yes, it is...and Seagal did his best work in the entire 7 minutes of screen time he got, especially the last 10 seconds.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/1/2010, 08:41 AM

I recommend it.

The rest...not so much.

i watched this movie before i'd read the book series and it was just bad. after i'd read about 5 or 6 novels of the aubrey/maturin series, it went to okay/good. which highilights the problem with making a movie that is 11 books into the series.

RacerX
11/1/2010, 10:00 AM
Steven Seagal's best work was in Executive Decision.

What? That's a Kurt Russell movie? Why yes, it is...and Seagal did his best work in the entire 7 minutes of screen time he got, especially the last 10 seconds.

Completely agree.

badger
11/1/2010, 11:35 AM
So we watched Troll 2 last night as the little trick or treaters rang the doorbell. You know, the movie with no trolls (or troll) and just goblins that was named the best worst film ever and has 0 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

It was awful. I had to stop eating dinner during it. Bleh.

So anyways, food for thought when discussing how crappy Russ-hole Crowe's Robin Hood was.

Vegas Sooner
4/2/2011, 08:03 PM
Why is there a gay thing about Crowe?

?????

MR2-Sooner86
4/2/2011, 08:36 PM
Waterworld was awesome.

One of you sucks more as a moviegoer, American, and all around human-being. The problem is I'm having a hard time deciding who.

picasso
4/2/2011, 11:08 PM

You mean like Samuel L. Jackson or Matthew McConaughey?

Scott D
4/3/2011, 02:39 PM
You mean like Samuel L. Jackson or Matthew McConaughey?

at least neither of them tried to make you think that Britain of the Robin Hood era was centered around a nobleman's son who sounded like he was from Ohio. :D

GDC
4/3/2011, 04:46 PM
i like botha those guys.

i liked LA Confidential because i like most movies that are made in or about LA.

thot it strange that (at least) 2 real people were in it,johnny Stompanato

& Lana Turner. maybe others were real folks, but not ones i remember.
they did mention Mickey Cohen.

James Ellroy always wrote some real life folks, as well as some characters loosely based on actual people, into his novels.

LA Confidential would have been a great movie with or without Crowe.