PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the Catholics & Convicts are gonna renew acquaintances

Salt City Sooner
5/14/2010, 11:50 AM
Interesting that ND would agree with this in the same year that they're slated to come to Norman. Kudos for having the stones to do it if it comes to pass:

The Catholics vs. Convicts era is over, but one of the great college football rivalries of the 1980s is close to being resurrected.

Notre Dame and Miami are in discussions to play at Soldier Field in Chicago in 2012, the Chicago Tribune reported Thursday night.

The Associated Press, citing a person familiar with the negotiations, reported Friday that the programs are nearing a deal for a three-game series. The Soldier Field game would be followed by a home-and-home, likely in 2014 and 2016, the person told AP.

Apparently, both sides decided it's time to forget the past.

"It's a game that would be great for both universities," the person familiar with the talks said, speaking on condition of anonymity because no deal has been signed. "Everyone involved wants it to happen."

Notre Dame and Miami last played each other in 1990, completing a series of passionate and competitive games.

Lou Holtz and the Fighting Irish beat then-No. 1 Miami 31-30 in October 1988 on the way to the national championship.

The Hurricanes returned the favor in November 1989, routing the No. 1 Irish 27-10 before going on to win their own title.

Notre Dame has played one game at a neutral site every year. This fall, the Irish will face Army at Yankee Stadium.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5187926

jumperstop
5/14/2010, 11:53 AM
ND sucks, they have to do something to keep the media attention. Why not play big name teams and renew old rivalries?

badger
5/14/2010, 12:08 PM
ND sucks, they have to do something to keep the media attention. Why not play big name teams and renew old rivalries?

Notre Dame needs to play big-name teams to keep NBC ratings passable. Plus, as an indy, it looks a lot better to lose to name-teams than cupcake teams.

:D The year Notre Dame started 0-fer-??? (Jimmy's froshie season) was pure greatness. The trotted in celebrity after celebrity and even "Coach" Weiss tried his own "we gotta win this game" stunt, starting a Navy-ND tradition of both teams staying on the field afterward for each other's alma mater.

Let's be honest - we all knew that Weis thought ND would win, or he never would have pulled this stunt. This was his way of being able to revel in the season's (hahaha) SECOND victory a little bit more (they were 1-7 at the time, I think), while rubbing it in the loser's face too.

End result: Notre Dame loses to Navy for the first time in a billion years, and after this shameful event, the Domers have to stay on-field and be embarrassed further and Navy celebrates their victory with them still standing around... did I mention this game was AT Notre Dame?! :D:D:D

KantoSooner
5/14/2010, 01:05 PM
ND v. Miami

NO way this one ends in anything other than greatness. One must lose. Too bad both can't lose.

Or maybe a massive earthquake could open a chasm in the field and all the players and both coaching staffs could plummet to fiery deaths. THAT would be optimum.

They are cankers on the human race.

NormanPride
5/14/2010, 01:27 PM
My uncle is raging right now. Man, he hates Miami even more than I do... He has stories about going in and playing there, winning, then seeing Miami fans beat the crap out of ND fans on their way out of the stadium. That's why they don't play anymore.

prrriiide
5/14/2010, 02:57 PM
Plus, as an indy, it looks a lot better to lose to name-teams than cupcake teams.

Unfortunately for the Domers, your logic requires that they actually beat the cupcakes. Instead they are losing to both on a regular basis.

Like the children of Israel in the wilderness, the catholics have forgotten that God is a jealous god, so He has smashed the golden calf of South Bend. :D

jaux
5/14/2010, 03:17 PM
Domers will be good again...just in time for us to beat them.

SunnySooner
5/14/2010, 09:40 PM
I was at the Miami game last year, fun times. I can honestly say they have not only horrible "guido" fans, they have horrible traditions. It felt like a really low-rent NFL game, just awful. If I had forgotten how much I hated Thug U, that game brought it all back in HD. I now really hate them again. The good thing about their fans though, is--you only see them when they're winning. All the U flags around here do a complete Houdini after a loss. But really, enough bad things cannot happen to that program for me.

Mazeppa
5/14/2010, 10:45 PM
27 to 10 is a route?