PDA

View Full Version : The Recruiting of ELVIS PEACOCK

PLaw
5/14/2010, 09:02 AM
Here's one that will bring a grin to all of us old timers and offer a good history lesson for the noobs.

---------------------------------------------------------

From Maximum Sooner

Switzer tales;Recruiting Elvis Peacock-1 of my all time favorite

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember the ABC Sports caster (Keith Jackson ) would always say right before OU would run a 4th and Goal. '' Look out for Peacock this young man can actually fly'' And then up and over the top he would go. BEAUTIFUL FORM I MIGHT ADD. He was one of the first to make that really popular back in the day. GOOD TIMES!

Switzer tales: Recruiting Elvis Peack
Posted by berrytramel
on may 13, 2010m at 5:37 am
The Oklahoma recruiting of Elvis Peacock did not rise to the level of Billy Sims’ drama a year later, or the pursuit of Adrian Peterson 30 years later. But make no mistake, Barry Switzer’s chase of the Miami, Fla., speedster was no small thing.

The principals of the story — Switzer, Peacock and OU assistant coach Gene Hochevar — rendezvoused last Saturday night, when they flew together from Norman to Waco, Texas, for Thomas Lott’s enshrinement into the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame.

Thirty-five years later, Switzer still recalls the nickname of Peacock’s high school, “Miami Central Rockets!,” and still paints the picture of Peacock running the 100-yard dash.

1976 Fiesta Bowl - Wyoming defensive end Dave Clements tackles OU halfback Elvis Peacock. 12-26-1976

“He’s on the (starting) box, up here,” Switzer said, using his hand to show how high Peacock stood. “He’s 6-(foot)-1. Everyone else is down here.”

Peacock ran a 9.4 100-yard dash. During Peacock’s OU days, when teammates would debate who was fastest, and Peacock’s 100-yard dash was dismissed as being too far for football terms and not relevant to the 40-yard dash, Switzer would offer some advice.

“Any guy that can run a 9.4 can run the 40,” Switzer said.

Hochevar, an unsung hero of Switzer’s 1970s staffs, was the assistant coach who speared Peacock for the Sooners.

“Coolest white guy ever,” said Peacock, who is not prone to outrageous statements. “He spoke the language. He knew what to do. He always knew where to find me.”

That would be the Gold Coast sandwich shop, in a rough section of Miami.

“I was the only guy who could go down to Liberty City with lime green pants,” Hochevar said.

Said Switzer, “He couldn’t outcoach you, but he could outdress your (butt).”

Years later, when Hochevar coached at Colorado with Bob Cortese (who would gain Oklahoma fame as coach of OKC’s arena football team), Cortese would tell Hochevar that OU cheated to get Peacock.

Hochevar dismissed Cortese, saying the recruitment of Peacock was no more complicated than this. “I had a Cadillac, red and white Eldorado,” Hochevar said. “The Colorado coach had a Fairlane station wagon.”

Switzer interrupted the story to tell Hochevar, “You know what I said when coaches told me that? ‘If you had a chance to go to your school or Oklahoma, what would you do?’”

Hochevar tells the story of a Kentucky recruiter taking Peacock’s mom to gamble at jai alai. The Kentucky coach hit a big winner and the next morning proudly told Hochevar he had shared half his winnings with Peacock’s mom. “Should have kept your money,” Hochevar said. “Elvis told me last night he’s for sure coming.”

When Switzer went recruiting in Miami in those days, he had a local high school coach, Rufus Ford, drive him around. Years later, NCAA investigators delved into Switzer’s finances and asked why he had written a check for $500 to Rufus Ford.

“Why?” Switzer asked. “Because his (butt) picked me up and drove me around Liberty City. I didn’t know where to go.” The NCAA investigator said, “That’s a violation.”

Switzer responded, “I should have got that $500 and got me a pit bull. Would that have been a violation?”

On national signing day 1974, Switzer and Hochevar sat in a Popeye’s chicken booth, with Switzer trying to talk Peacock into becoming a Sooner. The stoic Peacock never responded.

Switzer turned to Hochevar and said, “I know he can’t talk. Can he hear?”

Peacock cracked up. Eventually, Peacock said he was considering Michigan and Oklahoma.

“I didn’t like the way he said it,” Switzer said, talking about the order in which the schools were listed. “I jumped up and said, ‘I don’t see Bo Schembechler around here. My (butt) is here on national signing day.”

Peacock signed with the Sooners and became a star, rushing for 2,163 yards and 28 touchdowns.

delhalew
5/14/2010, 10:03 AM
I love hearing about The King's recruiting exploits.:D

badger
5/14/2010, 11:39 AM
Barry Switzer was a master recruiter - and he still turns on the charm to whoever he meets, whether he's a 5-star running back or just some little blond chick that says "I'm a Packer fan."

Seriously - when I was 12 years old and whining about the Cowboys aaaaagain beating the Packers in the playoffs to go Super Bowling (grrrr. Super Bowl XXX should have been Green Bay's, dammit!), I was glaring in the direction of head coach Barry Switzer when Aaron Taylor went out on a John Deere Gator with an injury, when our aging defensive coordinator Fritz also had to be taken out because a roughie toughie Cowgirl pushed the back of his head into the carpet/cement that was once in Cowboys stadium. I had to blame someone for the dirty play of Deeeee-town, so this little girl blamed Switzer.

But, having met him, he's won me over. Bygones, bygones... but GB still deserved Super Bowl XXX :mad:

:D

stoopified
5/14/2010, 01:36 PM
My favorite Switzer story is the one where he went through the trash to find out what beer a recruit's father drank.He then goes inyo the house and the father asks him if he would like a beer and Barry replies ONLY IF ITS A PEARL.The man did his research.

badger
5/14/2010, 02:17 PM
Some recruiting these days reeks of fakeness - the coach is out for the star player to win football games and doesn't care about the kid beyond that.

I wonder if people thought the same about Switzer back in his day? To Switzer's credit, his relationships haven't wavered with his players, even though they no longer play and he no longer coaches :)

Mad Dog Madsen
5/14/2010, 02:24 PM
Some recruiting these days reeks of fakeness - the coach is out for the star player to win football games and doesn't care about the kid beyond that.

I wonder if people thought the same about Switzer back in his day? To Switzer's credit, his relationships haven't wavered with his players, even though they no longer play and he no longer coaches :)

I always heard Barry Switzer recruited these kids to be a part of the "Sooner Family." As you can clearly see, he meant that.

goingoneight
5/14/2010, 05:49 PM
Switzer was no doubt the master of loopholes and unheard of techniques recruiting kids to Norman. However, today's game comes down to your personality. He has plenty of that and plenty of knowledge of the game.

All in all, I'd say a Barry Switzer has to try a little harder in today's game, but still lands the ADs and Tommie Harris's if he wants them. Also, in Switzer's time, he was one of the only coaches a young, black player would trust and look up to. That's not the case nowadays. You won't hear coaches saying today that they aren't going into that ghetto just for some football player. Racist hearts lost out on a lot of talent the King made into great football teams in the late 60's, 70's and 80's.

In 1975, recruiting was a game. Today, it's a business. With the beep of a text message, a prized recruit can change his mind. I think that's why Stoops is so good at what he does, because he's a likeable coach, but also very business-like and sells the program well. Switzer won a lot of recruiting games with coaches who wouldn't go as far as he would. They wanted athletes, Switzer was after the player as an individual and the family. Two very different coaches.

Sooner70
5/15/2010, 09:22 AM
Peacock was a great one. I remember that Nebraska game in the late 70's and Sooner Magic that involved him helping to win that game in the waning moments when it appeared the Huskers had it in the bag.

We were in an airport one time & my wife recognized him. She told me I should go get his autograph, but I didn't want to bug him. So my wife, even though an OSU grad and knowing the Sooner fan that I am, went over and got his autograph for me. I've still got Elvis's autograph somewhere, on a plane ticket or a bag receipt, I think.

Crimson Kid
5/15/2010, 05:31 PM
I work with his son. Elvis peacock jr.