PDA

View Full Version : Just had my blown head gasket replaced.

soonerinkaty
5/13/2010, 06:42 PM
Costed an assload, apparently they commonly go out on my model Impalas. But anywho, is it normal for it to run a tad bit hot after it was replaced? I also smell burning antifreeze, but I kinda expected that. I had the thermostat replaced and water pump and all that good ****. What say you, normal to run a little hot right after the shop?

Frozen Sooner
5/13/2010, 06:49 PM
I don't know ****, but if you're burning hydrocarbons and running hot it sounds like they didn't fix the problem.

olevetonahill
5/13/2010, 06:55 PM
No It shouldnt run hot at all
If yer smelling antifreeze then it aint fixed . Or some thing was left loose
Check the coolant level and dont let it get hot on the way back to the shop that did the repairs
Or make em send a wrecker to pick it up .

soonerinkaty
5/13/2010, 06:56 PM
Thank God for that 1 year warranty.

sooner ngintunr
5/13/2010, 06:57 PM
IMSO it should not be running any hotter than before. There would be no reason to. I'd keep an eye on it. Check your coolant level (while the engine is cool of course). Make sure you have some in your overflow (cold level). Thats the first thing that dries up when you have a problem.

sooner ngintunr
5/13/2010, 06:59 PM
I'm hoping they checked and made sure that your head wasn't warped, if it was they should have machined it (and charged you plenty for that). If not and it is, blown head gasket here we go again.

I have a feeling you might be using that warranty.

Turd_Ferguson
5/13/2010, 07:31 PM
"Looks like ya blew a seal!". "Naw, I just ate an ice cream."

soonerinkaty
5/13/2010, 07:36 PM
It was warped, so they sent it in and had it fixed and it passed the pre$$ure test and all that good stuff. Is this normal temp?

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/6130/tempgauge.jpg

Before it ****ed up it was running around the second marker to the left.

olevetonahill
5/13/2010, 07:42 PM
It was warped, so they sent it in and had it fixed and it passed the pre$$ure test and all that good stuff. Is this normal temp?

No thats not hot at all
Most of todays engines run anywhere from 190 to 210
looks like thats right in the range to me
My concern is ya smelling the anti freeze.
If yer coolant level is ok then the smell should fade .
if that smell stays around take it back by and let em do a look see.

soonerinkaty
5/13/2010, 07:48 PM
Okay good. I figure they just spilled a little antifreeze on something when they were putting it all together and its just burning off. They did take the radiator off and check it, so maybe it happened then.

olevetonahill
5/13/2010, 07:59 PM
Just keep an eye on the coolant level
and if ya still smell it tomorrow have em check it

AlbqSooner
5/13/2010, 08:06 PM
It also matters what thermostat they put in. Could be you had a 140 in it and they replaced it with a 180 or somesuch. Take Vet's advice, not mine.

soonerinkaty
5/13/2010, 08:10 PM
Whats the difference between a 140 and a 180 anyways?

olevetonahill
5/13/2010, 08:42 PM
The different degree Thermostats allow the engine to run specifics temps
a 180 degree thermo lets the egine run at 180 degrees

Yer Impala uses a specific thermostat

Not sure what it is
Ya need to tell me the engine and year and shat and I can find out .

If you dont have the proper Thermo installed yer Cars engine computer will make it run all kinds of stupid trying to get it to the required Temp .

soonerinkaty
5/13/2010, 08:45 PM
Its a 3.4l 2005 Impala

olevetonahill
5/13/2010, 08:54 PM
Ill find out tomorrow and let ya know
meantime ask em what temp one they installed

Had a customer who had some radiator work done at another shop years ago
His Van ran like crap from then on he brot it to me I spent almost 2 weeks off an on checking things before he told me they had changed thermostats on it also
They put in a 180
his engine required a 197
the computer was going nuts trying to get the fuel Air mix right

soonerinkaty
5/13/2010, 08:56 PM
Oh well it runs great right now, no problems at all. Just seemed a little hotter than normal. The different thermostat makes sense.

goingoneight
5/13/2010, 09:05 PM
If they mixed your antifreeze wrong (common mistake if they have it in the drum/premixed), you can run really hot and smell it.

olevetonahill
5/13/2010, 09:08 PM
Did they put that Pink shat back in ?
Ive had 2 different Service managers tell me to get that pink shat flushed out and use the Old Green stuff
something about the Pink carp screws yer gaskets all to hell and gone .

Stitch Face
5/13/2010, 09:16 PM

That's a turkey thermometer. You got screwed.

soonerinkaty
5/13/2010, 10:10 PM
That's a turkey thermometer. You got screwed.

What?

And Vet, they used the green ****.

BudSooner
5/13/2010, 10:26 PM
Did they put that Pink shat back in ?
Ive had 2 different Service managers tell me to get that pink shat flushed out and use the Old Green stuff
something about the Pink carp screws yer gaskets all to hell and gone .

Dexcool, yeah, i've heard of it. GM was really big on this stuff in the 1996 and up models, said it was cheaper and that when someone needed to add more then they could go to the store and buy the premixed version and not get the ratio wrong.

They loved it, but apparently not enough to put it in the flagship vehicle Corvette...it still uses the green antifreeze.
The reason it "eats" the gaskets is the Dexcool is an organic based antifreeze(less harmful for the pets and grass)but if you mix it and the regular green antifreeze then the two create an extremely acidic compound that breaks down copper/cork/and rubber.....which kind of sucks when you think about how much of that stuff is in todays cars.
The reason I know of this stuff is that my aunts car(2001 Monte Carlo SS)had engine problems that we thought were vaccum related and my first thought was a head gasket/intake manifold gasket. Upon researching this car and its problems, I heard that you need to check the coolant for signs of "foreign debris" in the coolant tank.
BINGO! Good news/Bad news time, there was stuff floating around in it and we emptied it, and flushed out the engine of the old stuff and put in new Dex.
The bad news.....it got into the intake manifold gaskets, and created a hotspot under one of the runners so hot that the carbon/plastic based plenum burned a hole about 5/8" in the top, WILL NOT RUN NOW. :mad:

The car is obviously out of warranty, no telling how long the stuff had been in there(they bought the car used)so the only thing my uncle can do now is spend $500 in parts and other items needed to replace the damn thing.

As an aside about this car, it's ****ing jinxed....seriously.
Part 1-it ran like total dog**** about 2months into ownership, the diagnostic readout said mass airflow sensor, we replaced it but it was still bad.
Problem is that he bought a NAPA brand MAF sensor, ONLY ONLY ONLY get GM Goodwrench parts!!! The fine wire which measures air density could not calculate how much air per fuel was needed and caused the engine to load up with far too much fuel.

Part 2-Throttel postion sensor went out, not hard to replace, but it was replaced two weeks after the MAF sensor.

Part 3-Fuel pump-NEVER EVER get gas at a gas station when a tanker is filling the underground tanks, it stirs debris up and that crap will get into your tank and stop up the filter and kill the fuel pump.
Oh yeah, **** YOU GM! The manual said to LOWER THE TANK under the car(it is right under the rear seat in that model)but oh yeah......lift up the rear seat and what do ya find???? A ****ING ACCESS PLATE TO REPLACE THE PUMP! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Part 4-not her fault, some ******* pulled out and hit my aunt head on, thankfully the airbad deployed and she was not even scratched up.....2 months after replacing the pump.
Beautful car, great to look at but I would not buy that damn thing if I had to drive more than 1 block to do anything.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My '02 Blazer has Dexcool, it's the only thing its ever had and the stuff in the radiator looks as good as the stuff right out of the bottle.

My Opinion Matters
5/14/2010, 09:04 AM
Whats the difference between a 140 and a 180 anyways?

40 degrees.

Your welcome.

C&CDean
5/14/2010, 09:42 AM
Dexcool, yeah, i've heard of it. GM was really big on this stuff in the 1996 and up models, said it was cheaper and that when someone needed to add more then they could go to the store and buy the premixed version and not get the ratio wrong.

They loved it, but apparently not enough to put it in the flagship vehicle Corvette...it still uses the green antifreeze.
The reason it "eats" the gaskets is the Dexcool is an organic based antifreeze(less harmful for the pets and grass)but if you mix it and the regular green antifreeze then the two create an extremely acidic compound that breaks down copper/cork/and rubber.....which kind of sucks when you think about how much of that stuff is in todays cars.
The reason I know of this stuff is that my aunts car(2001 Monte Carlo SS)had engine problems that we thought were vaccum related and my first thought was a head gasket/intake manifold gasket. Upon researching this car and its problems, I heard that you need to check the coolant for signs of "foreign debris" in the coolant tank.
BINGO! Good news/Bad news time, there was stuff floating around in it and we emptied it, and flushed out the engine of the old stuff and put in new Dex.
The bad news.....it got into the intake manifold gaskets, and created a hotspot under one of the runners so hot that the carbon/plastic based plenum burned a hole about 5/8" in the top, WILL NOT RUN NOW. :mad:

The car is obviously out of warranty, no telling how long the stuff had been in there(they bought the car used)so the only thing my uncle can do now is spend $500 in parts and other items needed to replace the damn thing.

As an aside about this car, it's ****ing jinxed....seriously.
Part 1-it ran like total dog**** about 2months into ownership, the diagnostic readout said mass airflow sensor, we replaced it but it was still bad.
Problem is that he bought a NAPA brand MAF sensor, ONLY ONLY ONLY get GM Goodwrench parts!!! The fine wire which measures air density could not calculate how much air per fuel was needed and caused the engine to load up with far too much fuel.

Part 2-Throttel postion sensor went out, not hard to replace, but it was replaced two weeks after the MAF sensor.

Part 3-Fuel pump-NEVER EVER get gas at a gas station when a tanker is filling the underground tanks, it stirs debris up and that crap will get into your tank and stop up the filter and kill the fuel pump.
Oh yeah, **** YOU GM! The manual said to LOWER THE TANK under the car(it is right under the rear seat in that model)but oh yeah......lift up the rear seat and what do ya find???? A ****ING ACCESS PLATE TO REPLACE THE PUMP! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Part 4-not her fault, some ******* pulled out and hit my aunt head on, thankfully the airbad deployed and she was not even scratched up.....2 months after replacing the pump.
Beautful car, great to look at but I would not buy that damn thing if I had to drive more than 1 block to do anything.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My '02 Blazer has Dexcool, it's the only thing its ever had and the stuff in the radiator looks as good as the stuff right out of the bottle.

Well what the **** did you expect? You buy a Chevy, you buy the problems.

Crucifax Autumn
5/14/2010, 11:05 AM
Well what the **** did you expect? You buy any modern vehicle, you buy the problems.

Fixed for accuracy.

btk108
5/14/2010, 12:55 PM
you caught my attention with a few the keywords in the title....now I'm jest "meh":D

sooneron
5/14/2010, 12:59 PM
Yep, waiting for the copycat for this one... :pop:

Crucifax Autumn
5/14/2010, 01:04 PM
I blew a gasket yesterday when I discovered my daughter hadn't done a single one of her daily chores.

soonerboomer93
5/14/2010, 01:39 PM

The gas pump should have a filter on it to catch anything like that before it gets to the gas tank of the car. When I was working at one of those stores, we didn't let anyone pump when the tanker was filling the undergrounds, because the stirred up **** would plug the gas pump filters.

BudSooner
5/16/2010, 01:00 AM
The gas pump should have a filter on it to catch anything like that before it gets to the gas tank of the car. When I was working at one of those stores, we didn't let anyone pump when the tanker was filling the undergrounds, because the stirred up **** would plug the gas pump filters.Yeah, but I still won't fill up if the tanker is there.

And Dean, my Blazer has not given me any problems since buying it three years ago....other than the ****ty mileage and I expected that.

BudSooner
5/16/2010, 01:05 AM
Gotta one thing, posting on a PS3 is the ****s.

Stitch Face
5/16/2010, 01:06 AM
Yep, waiting for the copycat for this one... :pop:

Some are too easy to be fun