PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Shock/Sooners in the WNBA

badger
5/13/2010, 12:28 PM
Sooner alums Ashley Paris and Nyeshia Stevenson were both cut from the Phoenix Mercury.

With one more roster spot cut to go before Friday (all teams must be down to 11 players by Friday), Amanda Thompson is still with the Tulsa Shock.

The Chicago Sky have 13 players on their roster, with both Abi Olajuwon and Courtney Paris still listed (again, two have to be cut by Friday)

I originally held out hope that somehow we'd have a few more OU alums in Tulsa by the end of cutting period, but from interviews, I just don't see Nolan Richardson working that way.

If anyone still cares about her, OSU's Andrea Riley is among 15 players still listed with the LA Sparks.

And now, before anyone else can post it, Family Guy's take on me posting this:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vXT0OCm6bA4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vXT0OCm6bA4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ouleaf
5/13/2010, 12:47 PM
Wow....had absolutely no clue Nolan Richardson was coaching a WNBA team. I learned something today.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2010, 12:51 PM
I guess CP3 could be his Oliver Miller

Boomer.....
5/13/2010, 12:55 PM
I heard that Courtney got cut but Abi made the Chicago Storm.

badger
5/13/2010, 01:39 PM
Wow....had absolutely no clue Nolan Richardson was coaching a WNBA team. I learned something today.

They've been giving him tons of coverage here in Tulsa, too. He's bringing back his "40 minutes of hell" scheme and even did something that every other WNBA team dropped by now: Open tryouts. Players paid like $100 to be able to get the chance to make a WNBA roster. They had like 50 show up for it.

Also, remember Marion Jones? If you don't, she a disgraced former sprinter that made "designer steroid" known as "The Clear" famous. She returned her Olympic medals and is now returning to basketball (she won a college national championship with UNC as a point guard before dedicating her time to sprinting).

Long explanation short, Marion Jones was the first declared member of the Tulsa Shock...well, after Nolan Richardson, of course. As soon as the Shock announced the move, they pretty much right away announced that Nolan would be coach.

I, too, heard that CP3 was getting (or already has gotten) cut, but it's obviously not official yet, or they're remove her from the official site.

Putting all WNBA jokes aside, you will not find a more competitive league for professional athletes to make a roster, except maybe the NFL. 11 roster spots on 12 teams. Hell, there's more womens basketball players than that in the Big 12! It is truly an accomplishment to make a roster.

Your reward? $34k-$55k salary.

Boomer.....
5/13/2010, 02:05 PM

That and being nationally know by dozens of fans.

badger
5/13/2010, 03:23 PM
That and being nationally know by dozens of fans.

I love womens basketball... in college. I still think that the WNBA is watching grass grow. I think all of you OU football fans who aren't really into the NFL know what I mean. We love our alma maters, but it's harder to love pros.

ouleaf
5/13/2010, 04:38 PM
I, too, heard that CP3 was getting (or already has gotten) cut, but it's obviously not official yet, or they're remove her from the official site.

Could have been a good player, but never seemed to have the will get in shape and expand her game. That's why she didn't win any titles at OU either.

Putting all WNBA jokes aside, you will not find a more competitive league for professional athletes to make a roster, except maybe the NFL. 11 roster spots on 12 teams. Hell, there's more womens basketball players than that in the Big 12! It is truly an accomplishment to make a roster.

I'm not sure competitive is the correct word there. When you take in the higher skill level it takes to be a pro in all the other leagues as opposed to the WNBA, it just doesn't seem as competitive to me. It's definitely one of the more limited or restricted leagues for sure in terms of total roster spots available....I'll give you that.

Well the WNBA isn't exactly a thriving business model. They can't have much in the way of sponsorships, TV contracts, ticket revenues, or merchandise sales. So I'm betting teams really can't afford to pay more..

badger
5/14/2010, 12:02 PM
CP3 was cut by the Chicago Sky, but I heard they kept Abi on the roster. No word yet on who the last Tulsa Shock cut will be. Hope it isn't Amanda Thompson.

Contrary to popular belief, CP3 really did lose a lot of weight at OU, but most of that I heard was before she played a game at OU. The conditioning from when she stepped foot on campus to her first collegiate game caused her to drop about 30 pounds, if I recall correctly.

Alas, winning a lot of All-American, rebounding and player of the year awards might have caused her to step back conditioning and focus on other aspects of the game at college. Regardless, if her playing days are over, I think she would be a phenomenal coach and I would love to see her back on OU's sideline next to Sherry, just like when she got in foul trouble. Good luck, Courtney!

badger
5/14/2010, 02:47 PM
Amanda Thompson made the final cut!

JohnnyMack
5/16/2010, 04:53 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/a9/fullj.309036e5593cf6b406aff93e4f5db72c/309036e5593cf6b406aff93e4f5db72c-getty-98422098sb001_shock_lynx.jpg

badger
5/17/2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah, Nolan looked funny on the sideline :D

That ESPN chick that analyzes womens basketball (both college and WNBA) seemed impressed that our crowd showed up early to the first game. We won't tell her that getting into the BOK Center for an event is a logistical nightmare and you NEED to show up early to avoid standing outside in the rain (oh yes, it has been raining here a lot lately!) for an hour.

So, we lost our opener at home. We were apparently down 17 in the second quarter, only to pull it to even at the half.

Marion Jones, who apparently is getting a lot of European press, only played a few minutes and actually made Sportscenter for her debut - a play where a Shock post player missed a layup, Jones got the rebound and passed it to her, only for the same post player to miss... and then they showed Minny make a shot, then they flashed the score and that was the extent of their WNBA coverage for the day :D

Amanda had the second-fewest minutes on the team, next to Marion.

Not sure what the future holds for either of them on this team, but they are the only players I'd be able to recognize at this point, so I'd really prefer to see them play more often :)

Scott D
5/17/2010, 12:36 PM
I hate you Tulsa for killing my former wnba franchise...but not as much as I hate the Davidson family.

diegosooner
5/18/2010, 09:02 PM
I hope amanda hangs on!

badger
5/24/2010, 10:46 AM
Mkay, dudes, I have another Shockingly Shocking Shock update - we actually won a game.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=413&articleid=20100524_29_B1_MINNEA237417)

One of our two Sooners in the WNBA, Amanda Thompson, logged about 11 minutes and got four points, two rebounds and even an assist!

(if you are all on Marion Jones watch like the national media, if my math is correct, Amanda logged more minutes in this one game than Marion has logged in all of the Shock's games so far... all three of them. lulz).

If you all want to track Abi, you can go to the Chicago Sky's official Abi page here (http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/abi_olajuwon/index.html?nav=page) and see that she has appeared in two preseason and one regular season game thus far. In the game that counted, she had seven minutes and two points... oh, and an assist :D

Finally, because I know that none of you are interested in the WNBA (admittedly, myself included) and are wondering when the eff I'm going to finally do the "hottest of OU womens basketball" poll that I promised you all, have a Futurama clip poking fun at the WNBA:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/feE1G2sJty0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/feE1G2sJty0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

badger
5/31/2010, 02:07 PM
The Shock now have its first home win of the season.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=413&articleid=20100530_29_B1_Tulsas767903&archive=yes)

The Shock are (is???) now 2-3. This places Tulsa at the fourth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

We are hovering just above 4k in attendance right now. No telling how the summer months will effect interest. The televised games here suck. There is no picture quality on whatever they're using, so we might as well be watching an NES game of Double Dribble where you can't really tell which player is which, but you can tell the different colored unis.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/images/05/15/p1_dribble.jpg

There are a few games on ESPN2, so that helps, but honestly, I would much rather watch an OU team play womens basketball.

badger
7/6/2010, 04:32 PM
I am sorry to report that the WNBA is now without any Sooner representation.

Abi got cut late last week. Link here (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=5349392)

Amanda Thompson was cut last month by the Tulsa Shock. Link here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=413&articleid=20100608_29_B1_TheTul926332)

A few others were with teams in the preseason, including CP3 with the Chicago Sky, Nyeshia Stevenson and Ashley Paris with the Phoenix Mercury.

Alas, the WNBA is once again Sooner-less... not that any of us were watching anyway.

ouleaf
7/6/2010, 05:21 PM
Fold....please fold. There is no point for this, or Women's BBall in general to exist any longer. It is teh awful.

I am so glad Dallas does not have a WNBA franchise.

badger
7/6/2010, 05:29 PM
They are definitely doing something wrong if they're not capitalizing on the success at the collegiate level. It reminds me of when they tried to start up a womens soccer league after the World Cup dream story (Mia Hamm, Brandi Chastain... you all remember it and you know it!) but couldn't retain the interest level... even a fraction of it.

texaspokieokie
7/7/2010, 11:00 AM
trivial: i saw nolan richardson in vegas, several years ago.

to succeed financially, they need to recruit the best looking women & junk the clown uniforms. JMHO

ouleaf
7/7/2010, 11:29 AM
to succeed financially, they need to recruit the best looking women & junk the clown uniforms. JMHO

Can't hurt, but it would still more than likely leave you with un-watchable basketball.

texaspokieokie
7/10/2010, 08:34 AM
should wear unis like womens volleyball.

ouleaf
7/10/2010, 11:01 PM
how bout they just stick to volleyball all together?

badger
7/20/2010, 05:21 PM
Time for Tulsa Shock Q&A!

Q: I noticed that this thread is also titled "Sooners in WNBA..."
A: None left. The WNBA is competitive and cruel.

Q: So, the Tulsa Shock just pushed the LA Sparks into OT!
A: Yes, but it unfortunately ended in a loss.
Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=413&articleid=20100720_413_0_LOSANG144126)

Q: Marion Jones still just a bench warming gimmick?
A: She is getting more minutes and actually scored 11 in the loss.

Q: So, the losing streak...
A: 13 straight losses now, 17 total.

Q: That means the Shock actually won one?
A: Won four, actually.

So, there's your periodical Shock update.

Scott D
7/20/2010, 05:24 PM
I wish you'd have renamed the team...the Tulsa version has dishonored the name Shock.

badger
7/21/2010, 09:16 AM
I wish you'd have renamed the team...the Tulsa version has dishonored the name Shock.

Meh... the way the WNBA is headed the name on front will be replaced with a corporate logo, so don't get too worried.

Crimsontothecore
7/22/2010, 11:57 PM
I hope Traber doesn't see this thread. He would not be happy about a discussio of womens bball.

badger
7/23/2010, 09:06 AM
I hope Traber doesn't see this thread. He would not be happy about a discussio of womens bball.

Someone actually replied to this thread? Ok then, the Shock lost at home last night by 32, bringing the losing streak to... 14!

There were 3,333 fans in attendance last night. The Shock drop to about 4-18, I think.

Boomer.....
7/23/2010, 09:25 AM
Sounds like things are going great for the new team.

Crimsontothecore
7/23/2010, 09:39 AM
Someone actually replied to this thread? Ok then, the Shock lost at home last night by 32, bringing the losing streak to... 14!

There were 3,333 fans in attendance last night. The Shock drop to about 4-18, I think.

Do you attend the games badger? I haven't been to any of their games so this is an outsiders opinion, but I just thing Nolan isn't the right fit for women's bball. Truth is, he probably isn't the right fit for ANY bball coaching job.

I know, I know. Young team, first year here, blah, blah, blah.

badger
7/23/2010, 10:43 AM
Sadly no. I think attendance would be higher if the team was winning or there were some local ties with colleges. About the only local tie is Nolan himself, and while he did great things for TU, some won't forget about how he left Arky... so that's a plus and a minus.

The fact that they have Marion Jones is intriguing, but like Nolan, she's also had her bad sports moments too (although I don't think Nolan ever cheated or spent time in jail)

Some people are really embracing the team. There were a lot of yellow Shock shirts walking around downtown last night. I'm just not there yet.

Scott D
7/23/2010, 05:03 PM
yellow? dear god...CHANGE THE NAME ALREADY!

srsly, change it to something connected to the Thunder...like maybe Dark Clouds, or Tulsa Tropical Depression

badger
7/28/2010, 05:44 PM
Time for another Shocking update - loss!

Annnd as an added bonus, a visual aide!
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2010/20100728_Shock0728.jpg
Hurr hurr, guess Shock should have made their colors blue and more blue to match empty seats derp derp

badger
8/4/2010, 12:10 PM
So the Shock just beat the top team in the league last night, ending their forever-long losing streak!

Linky (Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=413&articleid=20100804_29_B1_Tulsas476432)

It was apparently the birthday of Nolan's late daughter, who died of leukemia when she was 15, so incredibly special to them.

This reminds me of when the Toronto Raptors, back before Vince Carter, upset the Chicago Bulls, who would go on to win 72 regular season games that year. Yes, one of their 10 losses was to crappy, losing Toronto.

Yay, Tulsa.

texaspokieokie
8/8/2010, 12:19 PM
is tulsa shock the worst team in the league ???

maybe they should be the "shock absorbers".

badger
8/9/2010, 11:05 AM
is tulsa shock the worst team in the league ???

maybe they should be the "shock absorbers".

Yes they are, but to their credit, they had to replace nearly an entire roster as well as a new coach. Their top players from their recent title run demanded trades and the Tulsa Shock now have absolutely no players left from the Detroit Shock after mid-season moves.

Season tickets for next year are now $99 for all 17 home games.

texaspokieokie
8/9/2010, 11:14 AM
price is right.

they should hire players from OU & OSU. apparently they're all available.

i still couldn't go, it's about 250 miles from here.
& Michelle is using my 747.

badger
8/29/2010, 01:33 PM
I haven't given you a token update in awhile, so here goes:

The WNBA playoffs are invading your ESPN. Pray that they are finished before they start taking away valuable college football airtime :P

Tulsa, with a 6-win season, is not in the playoffs (duh!) but as such, is now the 250 out of 1000 ping pong ball favorite to win the overall #1 pick in the lottery.

As anyone following OU womens bball knows, there has only been one player in the sport's history to be a four-time All-American... Courtney Paris!!!! However, that's just because UConn's Maya Moore hasn't graduated yet, but this is her senior season coming up. Barring some weird Whitney Hand injury, expect UConn to be the shoo-in for the Final Four, and Maya Moore to be the #1 overall pick as the SECOND (not first, hahahaha) four-time All-American.

Nolan Richardson still seems committed to this. Tulsa doesn't have any star players, so their players all seem ready to return as well if the team will have them. We do have the rights to an ex-all star who chose not to play this season, so we might end up with both Maya and that player whose name escapes me.

There are currently no Sooners in the WNBA, but with some hard offseason work and good camps, they might make a roster. CP3 was really a victim of circumstance when Sacramento decided to fold their franchise. Roster spots are incredibly rare, so if she will have a better shot of making a team this year. Considering that Ashley and Courtney both helped bring the WNBA to Tulsa, the league at least owes them a tryout here.

badger
6/8/2011, 12:44 PM
I am recycling this thread to give a WNBA/Sooner/Shock update --- they all collide in Tulsa, 7 p.m. Friday, when the San Antonio Silver Stars, who drafted Danielle Robinson, visit Tulsa's BOK Center.

If I am not mistaken (and I might be, I don't follow WNBA very much at all!) Courtney and Ashley were the only other Sooners attempting roster spots this year and both have already been cut. Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110602_92_0_Former792966)

I take that back - Abi Olajuwon was cut by the Indiana Fever. Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mystics/fever-cuts-olajuwons-daughter-jene-morris-as-they-trim-roster-for-final-preseason-game/2011/05/31/AGj6HdFH_story.html)

SoonerofAlabama
6/12/2011, 04:45 PM
So the WNBA started in 1996 right? I don't hate it, but if it is on I am definitely changing it. I am just giving my take on this. I might watch for a few minutes if it is on TV, but I doubt that I will try very hard to find it. It is kind of a sad sport, what is wrong with it?

badger
6/14/2011, 01:58 PM
I tried to watch the local broadcast once. The quality was bad. It isn't just Cox and local cable, but there's this problem with OU womens games on ESPN, on local TV, whatever, they use inferior equipment for the games.

ouleaf
6/14/2011, 03:08 PM
I tried to watch the local broadcast once. The quality was bad. It isn't just Cox and local cable, but there's this problem with OU womens games on ESPN, on local TV, whatever, they use inferior equipment for the games.

Would better equipment really make those games any more watchable? I don't think so.

badger
6/15/2011, 01:26 PM
Would better equipment really make those games any more watchable? I don't think so.

Wait, are we talking WNBA or OU basketball, because I was tuning into OU basketball even with the crappy quality, but the crappy quality made me switch stations very fast with the WNBA.

I see your point though -- the product has to be watchable to begin with. Spiderman 3 sucks on Blu-ray, even if you watch in on a uber high def television.

badger
6/22/2011, 12:32 PM
Good news, everyone! [/futurama]

Courtney Paris is back in the WNBA.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=413&articleid=20110622_29_B2_hBaske180848&archive=yes)

Cut from the LA Sparks and seemingly out of the league once again, was signed by the Atlanta Dream this past weekend to help the team deal with injury issues.

9 points and 8 rebounds. Not her double-double stats from back at OU, but very admirable for someone who just joined the team a few days ago.

Go CP3! :D

SoonerofAlabama
6/22/2011, 12:35 PM
Has Danielle Robinson played yet? I might try to watch one if I at least get to watch a former OU player.

badger
6/22/2011, 12:45 PM
Has Danielle Robinson played yet? I might try to watch one if I at least get to watch a former OU player.

She plays for the San Antonio Silver Stars (yes, WNBA teams have weird names I know). Stats here. (http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/danielle_robinson/index.html?nav=page) She's played in all five games, but is not starting. However, she is logging good minutes and averages about 8 ppg and 5 apg.

If you really are dying to catch more WNBA, check ESPN (or ESPN2) during the week. They seem to be lacking poker or strongest man competitions, because they're actually showing a lot of WNBA now, heh.

SoonerofAlabama
6/22/2011, 12:50 PM
She plays for the San Antonio Silver Stars (yes, WNBA teams have weird names I know). Stats here. (http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/danielle_robinson/index.html?nav=page) She's played in all five games, but is not starting. However, she is logging good minutes and averages about 8 ppg and 5 apg.

If you really are dying to catch more WNBA, check ESPN (or ESPN2) during the week. They seem to be lacking poker or strongest man competitions, because they're actually showing a lot of WNBA now, heh.

"I might try to watch if it is on" isn't exactly "dying to watch" :D , but anyways I will look. Summer is the dead period for sports unless you really, really like baseball, so I might do that just to catch a lower down sport that I might actually care about.

badger
7/1/2011, 10:12 AM
About 15 years ago, a teenage badger actually tried watching the WNBA on television after the NBA Finals finished. After all, the NBA was over promoting it to the point that you almost had to tune in, just to see what the big deal was about.

15 years of not really tuning in since, I attended my first WNBA game in person, since I was offered free tickets.

The Tulsa Shock hosted the Minnesota Lynx. Never having attended a game before, I showed up about 45 minutes before tipoff... along with about two dozen others. Total. In the 7k capacity (not including the upper regions, that are curtained off) arena, two dozen. Even the Shock aren't out warming up (the Lynx are... and the bald one chest thumps another. Perhaps a Texas A&M alum?)

When the Shock enter, that "black and yellow" song plays. A fox mascot named "Volt" and a few "cheerleaders" (They're wearing Shock jerseys and short shorts) try to get the crowd to cheer (attendance was allegedly 3,900 or so). The audience finally relents some noise when... you guessed it... free t-shirts were up for grabs.

The Shock (who missed many of their warmup shots) start off cold, but then, after a 3 finally falls, along with a few others, it's a game. But, by the half, they are down 24, mostly because they aren't playing very good defense, or rebounding. Nolan must be rolling over in his grave (nope, just getting a technical, hehe).

At halftime, they line up some average looking people (like they just grabbed them from the crowd)... for a dunk contest?! A trampoline and mats are at the other end. This has disaster written all over it. Sure enough, a 6-foot black guy misses the trampoline and lands face-first on the mat. A plant won, who is apparently a member of the new dunk team. OK...

I make a deal with NP, whom I've dragged along with another free ticket: If the Shock fall behind by 30, or can't cut the lead to below 20 in the next 5 minutes, we can leave. I can tell that he is hating the entire experience and never wants to attend another WNBA game ever again.

If you've ever attended an NBA game, you've surely heard all of the generic de-fense, and "everybody clap yo' hands!" stuff they pump into an arena for every single play. This was no different at the BOK Center, except for the fact that not a lot of people participated in the cheers. At this point, I'm finding the gray haired lady at center court with a front row seat's reactions much more fun than watching the game. She is hating the refs right now, as several of our starters have four fouls... now one picked up #5. (Like the NBA, the WNBA allows 6 fouls per game per player).

NP is forced to stay till the end of the quarter, as the Shock actually cut it to 16 at one point... and then it grows back to 24 by the end of the quarter.

In conclusion, it was a very meh experience for me. For NP, it was unbearable torture. I'm glad we didn't stay for the fourth in retrospect. The Shock ended up losing by 40 (at the Lynx had the #1 draft pick last year, so it's not like they're an awesomely great team).

I'll rant a little more on this later. Anyone else here ever attend a WNBA game?

badger
7/1/2011, 11:29 AM
OK, so I asked an actual WNBA fan about what the eff I just witnessed (I have already told NP I owe him a favor for making him endure that... what does Nolan call it? 40 minutes of hell? Yeah, that).

Basically, all WNBA experiences are not that bad, I am informed. It was just an exceptionally bad night to make it your first WNBA experience.

I think I would have liked it more if there was someone to cheer for. The only player with local ties was infamous ballhog Andrea Riley of Oklahoma State fame. I can't totally badmouth her, because she just had a kid during the offseason (with her OSU athlete husband, who I think might be with the Tulsa Talons now). However, the same things we witnessed during her OSU days happened during her limited playing time last night --- not wanting to pass and putting up wtf shots.

ouleaf
7/1/2011, 11:56 AM
I vote we blow up this thread...the only thing more pointless is the WNBA itself. I honestly think the only thing that has kept the league afloat has been the NBA's fear of having to admit it was a failure and take a slight PR hit.

I realize these girls have put in countless hours to become professional basketball players, but it is just not a good product and I don't see how many team could be turning a profit.

badger
7/1/2011, 12:44 PM
Profit question --- the first team in league history to get a profit was the Connecticut Sun in 2010.

Link (http://www.bizofbasketball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=820:connecticut-sun-first-wnba-team-to-turn-a-profit&catid=34:nba-news&Itemid=54)

I highly suspect it was because of all the UConn ties. I think they had a lot of alums on that team and thus, the UConn fanbase just went from one UConn team to the next. :rolleyes:

Interesting quote from that story:

“It isn’t something you would enter into if you’re trying to make a lot of money,” said Dawn Trudeau, part-owner of the Seattle Storm via Bloomberg Businessweek. “It’s something you’re doing because you have a love for the game, your community and what this says to the world.”

The world says back "We also have womens professional leagues that pay more than yours and have longer seasons. It's where all the players your WNBA cuts go to still have a professional career."

The WNBA should be a reminder to all college stars to get a very, very good education.

badger
7/6/2011, 11:21 AM
Sherri's take on the WNBA here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=234&articleid=20110706_29_B3_CUTLIN164039) (as well as info on offseason stuff and future plans and surviving without D-Rob).

The season has started - how much of a WNBA fan are you?

Um, a quasi. It's hard for me to watch it because of when it's on, I'm doing basketball camps and I'm recruiting. It's difficult. I try to keep up with D-Rob (Danielle Robinson), obviously, I try to keep up with the Tulsa Shock as much as I can. But as far as really knowing the landscape and feeling like I'm really invested in it, I don't get to see it as much as I would like. It's just tough because of the time of year.

badger
7/11/2011, 12:23 PM
Shocking update:

After yet another loss Friday night, Nolan Richardson resigned as Tulsa Shock coach.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=226&articleid=20110710_226_B1_CUTLIN116988&archive=yes)

It was reportedly the first time ever there was a WNBA coaching change midseason.

So, how does the Tulsa Shock follow that shocking news up? By losing. Again.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=413&articleid=20110711_29_B1_PHOENI656227&archive=yes)

So... there you have it

badger
7/21/2011, 12:48 PM
Finally a reason to give the Tulsa Shock a second chance --- Abi's coming home.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=413&articleid=20110721_413_0_Former897740)

Seriously, I might have to go to another game now. NP however would likely not set foot in that arena for a WNBA game ever again unless Sherri is coach, the team is all OU alums and their name is the "Sooners" not "Shock" :D

Scott D
7/21/2011, 01:12 PM
withhold the cookie until he goes to a shock game :D

badger
7/21/2011, 02:44 PM
withhold the cookie until he goes to a shock game :D

i'm not that cruel. just cruel enough to subject you all to this thread :P

More Shocking news --- Marion Jones finally got cut.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=413&articleid=20110721_413_0_TheTul165586)

For awhile, Tulsa seemed to try to get name players (Marion Jones, Sheryl Swoopes) instead of building a winning team. It seems that now that Nolan Richardson is out, they are focusing more on team building that big name attracting.

Does this mean Sheryl is next to go? No idea. In fact, I have no idea how long this season is. Perhaps it's almost over

Scott D
7/21/2011, 03:28 PM
I'd still prefer they change the name from the Shock.

OUmillenium
7/21/2011, 04:20 PM
I thought they were called the Tulsa Suck?

badger
7/21/2011, 04:45 PM
I thought they were called the Tulsa Suck?

They might as well be. A win. It is both what they seek and what they currently have :mad:

badger
7/26/2011, 12:49 PM
Time for your weekly torture, guys.

The Tulsa Shock will host the Atlanta Dream tonight at our downtown BOK Center. This will put OU's four-time All American Courtney Paris up against her protege and fellow Sooner, Abi Olajuwon.

Yes, she's Hakeem's daughter, if you haven't heard that already :D

And Courtney is still Bubba's daughter :D

:mad: anyone else dying for football to start?

badger
4/9/2013, 02:29 PM
The ghost of Nolan Richardson lives. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Liz_Cambage_not_returning_to_Shock/20130409_413_0_LizCam442473)

Background: Nolan's final draft pick (and one of many examples of our poor WNBA's franchise's bad luck) was Liz Cambage, that Aussie star that dunked in the Olympics on some (I don't know who to be honest) third world country's hapless team. Pre-draft, she openly said that she didn't want to come to Tulsa, then she backtracked after everyone probably told her own bad that sounded. Tulsa then went on to be so bad that season that Nolan was finally ousted and since that season (and post-Olympics), Liz has not returned.

The only time I saw her outside of our BOK Center (where the Shock play) was at the local Whole Foods. She was very tall.

fin