PDA

View Full Version : What are our chances?

BigTime1
5/13/2010, 07:50 AM
Just wondering if anybody had any inside on what our chances may be of getting Arnette and Malcom Brown? I know I and a lot of others would love to see OU on the sides of these guys helmets.

Tigeman
5/13/2010, 11:16 AM
bout 5% on Brown.

OU44life
5/13/2010, 11:28 AM
bout 5% on Brown.

Oh come on Tigeman, how bout a more positive attitude about our chances. I'm saying a 6%;)

Tigeman
5/13/2010, 12:07 PM
haha ill see your 6 and raise you 5.5

BigTime1
5/13/2010, 01:02 PM
Well its gettin better thats up to 11 and a half now.

Herr Scholz
5/13/2010, 03:27 PM
Supposedly he's down to 4 schools but he hasn't named a favorite: UT, OU, Bama and FSU. I've heard that my Horns are looking good on this one but you never know. Also, one would think OU would be a longshot since you've already taken Brandon Williams, along with Finch and Clay in the last class. We've definitely put all our eggs in one basket on this one. We shall see. He's supposed to decide in either Aug. or Sep.

Tigeman
5/13/2010, 05:41 PM
The more and more I dig on this, the more and more I keep hearing Bama from authority figures down in his area Scholz. Which is surprising, b/c just 2 months ago I would have said it's * all the way!

I'm pretty sure it's down to * and Bama though. The rest are just fodder. I hope he doesn't end up at *, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he did. I'd say it's

50% - Bama
43% - *
5% - OU
2% - FSU

I do think he holds out until Signing Day though!

HillbillyRay
5/14/2010, 07:19 AM
I would say slim to none on both Brown and Arnett

Ruf/Nek7
5/16/2010, 08:17 PM
My brother-in-law, who played against Brown, swears that sometime in late 2008 Brown verbally committed to OU or had us favored. Supposedly it was an article in the San Antonio Express but i never found that in their archives. However, after reading stories from 08 and 09 it seems as though we have been after him for quite some time, and he is a huge Adrian Peterson fan hence him sporting the 28! I feel as though we are not the front runner but far from ruled out. Definitely give us a more than a 5-6% chance!

Tigeman
5/17/2010, 12:37 AM
He didn't ever verbal to us, but we were farrrr in the lead! At first at least. Alot of people pretty much conceded we had him, even alot of TX fans. Well that's changed... ALOTTTT.

Whenever we took Brandon Williams, we basically lost any chance of getting Brown. Essentially they are the same type of player. Like I said... my pretty reliable sources say Bama is in the lead but * isn't necessarily out. On the other hand, we basically are.

Collier11
5/17/2010, 04:03 AM
so what that tells you is the guy is afraid of competition I suppose?

Herr Scholz
5/18/2010, 11:19 AM
so what that tells you is the guy is afraid of competition I suppose?

I doubt that the highest ranked player in Texas is afraid to earn his spot.

fwsooner22
5/18/2010, 01:47 PM

Where were Roy Williams and Cedric Benson from?

Collier11
5/18/2010, 02:17 PM

his rating doesnt have anything to do with his willingness to compete, how many 5 stars do we see these days that will only go somewhere if there is guaranteed PT, ALOT!

oudavid1
5/18/2010, 05:32 PM
his rating doesnt have anything to do with his willingness to compete, how many 5 stars do we see these days that will only go somewhere if there is guaranteed PT, ALOT!

Wow, never looked at it that way.

IronHorseSooner
5/19/2010, 01:43 AM
Meh, we are loaded at RB. It is one of the few positions that I am not that concerned. With Finch, Clay, Calhoun, Miller, and now Williams (heck, we even have walk-ons coming in and doing well- see Whaley), there just isn't enough room for him. We even have FBs who have great prospects (Musil and Millard). I wish him well, but there's no room at the inn.

Herr Scholz
5/19/2010, 03:49 PM

Sure, that's valid in a lot of cases. But maybe Brown just doesn't want to go to OU and you questioning his toughness or competitiveness or whatever is off the mark.

Herr Scholz
5/19/2010, 03:49 PM
Where were Roy Williams and Cedric Benson from?

Texas. Don't quite get your point. They both competed and were record setting players for UT.

Collier11
5/19/2010, 03:56 PM
Sure, that's valid in a lot of cases. But maybe Brown just doesn't want to go to OU and you questioning his toughness or competitiveness or whatever is off the mark.

Well, when OU was one of his favorites and he drops them upon us getting another big time RB commitment, I dont think thats an unfair question to ask

Herr Scholz
5/19/2010, 04:16 PM
Fair enough. But you have to admit, OU is absolutely loaded at that position. I wouldn't think a high profile kid looking elsewhere automatically means it's a character flaw on his part.

Collier11
5/19/2010, 04:21 PM
Didnt stop guys from going to usc. It is true though, id probably do what he did, lol

Herr Scholz
5/19/2010, 04:32 PM
You obviously don't need him. You just want to nab him to spite us since we're in desperate need of an elite RB. I know your evil plans. ;)

Collier11
5/19/2010, 04:43 PM
Gilbert with no running game is a sitting duck, you sir are correct

Herr Scholz
5/20/2010, 01:05 AM
Gilbert with no running game is a sitting duck, you sir are correct

True, but what you don't know is that he's a spread QB. Ran it for 2 state titles at Lake Travis. If we can't run, he'll throw.

He's much more mobile than Chris Simms BTW in case that's what you're thinking. And we don't have any Brett Robin's blocking.

Collier11
5/20/2010, 01:09 AM
He sure didnt look mobile vs Bama? And ive heard he is going to be under center

Tigeman
5/20/2010, 01:10 AM
LOL I don't think I'd be mentioning Chris Simms around here Scholzie! Def. not a way to prove a point. We kind of consider him a laughing stock, and was probably one of OUR best players at the time! :P

Herr Scholz
5/20/2010, 01:17 AM
LOL I don't think I'd be mentioning Chris Simms around here Scholzie! Def. not a way to prove a point. We kind of consider him a laughing stock, and was probably one of OUR best players at the time! :P

I know. He didn't fare well vs. you. He set records though.

My point was that Gilbert is not the same guy. He's plenty mobile. You'll see.

Herr Scholz
5/20/2010, 01:20 AM
He sure didnt look mobile vs Bama? And ive heard he is going to be under center

Not the offense we'll be running.

He'll be more under center with more play action, yes.

Collier11
5/20/2010, 01:43 AM
exactly, you cant run play action with no running game

Herr Scholz
5/20/2010, 01:44 AM
exactly, you cant run play action with no running game

We bring back more RB rushing yards than you. Our committee had 2,000+

Collier11
5/20/2010, 03:06 AM
Demarco was a 1000 yd rusher when healthy, and he wasnt even healthy that year for the full season. If he stays healthy you and I both know the type of back he is. We also have a slew of big time recruits.

yankee
5/20/2010, 03:10 AM
We bring back more RB rushing yards than you. Our committee had 2,000+

that means nothing until it's consistent.

oh, and i ran the numbers...you exaggerated by a few hundred yards. :rolleyes: ;)

Collier11
5/20/2010, 03:15 AM
Of backs that got significant carries, looks to me like you are returning about 1500 yards and that is between about 5 backs

OU returns over 1000 between 3, two of which missed a ton of PT due to injuries

CrimsonCommando
5/20/2010, 03:07 PM
Do either of the two guys mentioned have any Swagger? :pop:

Collier11
5/20/2010, 03:15 PM
we could use some

Herr Scholz
5/21/2010, 04:11 PM
Read this on a Longhorn insider newsletter today. This has been the consistent message out of Austin. FYI.

"Talked with a San Antonio source this week about Cibolo Steele running back Malcolm Brown and I was told that things continue to look extremely positive for the Longhorns. Patience is a virtue."

Collier11
5/21/2010, 04:14 PM
I know nothing about him, whats his natl rep. Big time recruit?

Herr Scholz
5/21/2010, 04:20 PM
He sucks. Don't worry about recruiting him.

Collier11
5/21/2010, 04:21 PM
heh

Tigeman
5/21/2010, 05:17 PM
Oh Come on Scholz, you know as well as I do to take anything the insider sites say with a grain of salt!

I could say .... With the news coming out of Cibolo Steele

Things still look positive for Bama.

Things still look positive for OU.

Things still look positive for FSU.

Considering he's narrowed things down to these 4, this wouldn't be a stretch at all. You see what I did there? You just leave things open ended and you can't get in trouble! LOL

I do think in the end he ends up at *, but his coaching staff is saying Bama! Here's the thing that hurts you guys I think.... I'm thinking he waits till the season gets under way (despite his statements to the contrary); then he sees your all's supposedly improved running game. Promptly noticing the complete and utter failure that it is, he promptly phones Saban! Guess we'll see though! Sure hope he doesn't sign with you guys though, as he is def. a BIG TIME RB. The guy will be special for sure! As long as he has a team that knows how to run it that is ;)

gaylordfan1
5/21/2010, 06:27 PM
He wears # 28... Wonder who his idol is? Wonder what school that idol went to?

gaylordfan1
5/21/2010, 06:28 PM
:D

Herr Scholz
5/24/2010, 04:27 PM
The guy will be special for sure! As long as he has a team that knows how to run it that is ;)
Ricky Williams, Cedric Benson and Jamaal Charles all say hi. They all played at Texas under Mack and they're all starting RBs in the NFL now. Williams had the all time NCAA rushing record at one point as well.

Greg Davis knows how to run the ball. He just crafts his offenses around the talent he has. With VY and Colt, he put the ball in the QB's hands more. It's simply a question of emphasis.

KiiDSooNER
5/24/2010, 07:59 PM
I think Malcolm Brown is better off going to Alabama. Mark Ingram won't be there anymore and he'll have a chance to split carries with Richardson.

Tigeman
5/24/2010, 09:56 PM
Ricky Williams, Cedric Benson and Jamaal Charles all say hi. They all played at Texas under Mack and they're all starting RBs in the NFL now. Williams had the all time NCAA rushing record at one point as well.

Greg Davis knows how to run the ball. He just crafts his offenses around the talent he has. With VY and Colt, he put the ball in the QB's hands more. It's simply a question of emphasis.

Hehe... step into my parlor said the spider to the fly! Kind of set you up there.... cause I knew that was coming from you! My defense to that is, if you guys say we can't use 6 to 5 b/c it was to long ago, then you can't use them b/c they were to long ago! :D So who you got recently?.... Face it... Davis has forgot how to run it :P You guys would have loved to been able to run it also the last two years... but you couldn't even when you wanted to :rolleyes: :P

BigTime1
5/25/2010, 08:43 AM
Malcolm please take into consideration that something without a doubt happens to people when they go to UT. Almost everyone I know thats asscociated with that university is a little WEIRD. We all know about Vince Youngs breakdown and if you didnt know how crazy Ricky Williams is that was clearly seen in Run Ricky Run. That dude is OFF. But truly thats just 2 examples they all are affected, defected, whatever you want to call it...WEIRD. We may seem crazy and some mentally deranged on the field but thats where it stays. And remember this years draft and the ones in the past...we sculpt NFL players. Yes we have a stable of backs in place and another awesome player coming in Williams. Come be a part of it. You and Williams added to whats there and last years recruits yall may be known as the Untouchables. And remember AD the best RB in the NFL and what he wore on his chest and think who he will be taking under his wing. I gaurantee ya it wont be a Longhorn or any kind of Crimson Tide.
BOOMER SOONER.

NOVSooner
5/25/2010, 08:46 AM
You guys would have loved to been able to run it also the last two years... but you couldn't even when you wanted to :rolleyes: :P

bro, not to play devil's advocate b/c i hate the whorns just as much as all other Sooner fans, but this statement could be true for us to, at least in the RRS. i'm sure you meant a full season but i'm sparing you the rebuttle from scholz...

Herr Scholz
5/25/2010, 10:45 AM
Face it... Davis has forgot how to run it :P You guys would have loved to been able to run it also the last two years... but you couldn't even when you wanted to :rolleyes: :P
No he hasn't. It was a different scheme that emphasized the Colt and the passing game. We still had about 2,000 yards (2,066 to be exact) rushing with our committee approach though. We'll be under center more and pushing off the ball this year instead of the zone blocking/stepping sideways/spread offense we had going.

And OU had a total of negative 16 yards rushing vs. UT last year. And I believe about 30 total yards rushing against us the year before. You guys like to blow smoke about Demarco Murray but he hasn't done anything against us since that one run he had when he was a Freshman. Chris Brown wasn't much better. Did you guys forget how to run the ball, then?

Herr Scholz
5/25/2010, 10:57 AM
And remember this years draft and the ones in the past...we sculpt NFL players.
So do we. UT has the most NFL players of any university in the country. We have 53 active players including 4 RBs and 1 FB (Ricky Wiliams, Cedric Benson, Jamaal Charles, Chris Ogbonnaya and Ahmard Hall).

For comparison, OU has 44 active players including 2 RBs and 1 FB (Adrian Peterson, Allen Patrick and Matt Clapp).

Both schools are NFL factories. Brown will be successful at either place. Although PT will definitely be easier to come by at UT at this point since we haven't signed an elite RB in a few years. OU is stacked with talent at that position.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/players?college=16

http://espn.go.com/nfl/players?college=26

BigTime1
5/25/2010, 11:01 AM
That is true I agree of course last year is not a good measureable since we had 5 starters out which included 2 of our biggest passing threats which yall would have had to respect a ton more had Sam and Gresh been there...and would have totally changed how our offense could be approached. And my above post still stands without deny.

BigTime1
5/25/2010, 11:04 AM
True we are both factories and really I have a lot of good Longhorn friends and only truly hate the team when we play but seriously give me some insight on the weirdness that seems to take over so many of the you. Like truly mentally odd for a overwhelming %.

Herr Scholz
5/25/2010, 11:05 AM
You had both Sam and Gresh in '08 and we held you to 48 total yards rushing. Brown had 29 and Murray had 6.

Herr Scholz
5/25/2010, 11:06 AM
seriously give me some insight on the weirdness that seems to take over so many of the you. Like truly mentally odd for a overwhelming %.

Yeah, OK. :rolleyes:

OU44life
5/25/2010, 11:07 AM
You guys like to blow smoke about Demarco Murray but he hasn't done anything against us since that one run he had when he was a Freshman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWc67ThLtuM

there goes that smoke blowin again.

BigTime1
5/25/2010, 11:08 AM
I said I agree our rushing has sucked against yall the past couple of years. Hopefully it has come full circle and we are in a position for success again. ...not to take any credit from em...Yalls DLine has been pretty stout

BigTime1
5/25/2010, 11:12 AM
Go ahead deny it but it is 110% the truth. And can be seen any day around that campus a random alum or on tv as ricky and vince got drug into it during their stay there. I said there are good people from there but you cant say you dont see it in A LOT of others...

Herr Scholz
5/25/2010, 01:37 PM
So only a few Longhorns are 'good people'? Good to know you're objective. Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

KiiDSooNER
5/25/2010, 01:57 PM
See, I can't even hate on Texas players that go to the NFL, because I'm a Titans fan and we have... Vince Young, Ahmard Hall, Bo Scaife, Michael Griffin and Chris Simms.

Collier11
5/25/2010, 02:01 PM
My Chiefs have a few as well, ill hate on all of them that dont play for KC though :D