PDA

View Full Version : SI's Stewart Mandel on OSU, good for a laugh

Collier11
5/13/2010, 12:05 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...e-pryor/1.html

Why is no one talking about Oklahoma State? The Cowboys have Brandon Weeden at QB, who played pro baseball and has a cannon for an arm. He reminds me a lot of Chris Weinke at Florida State. Then you have new offensive coordinator Dana Holgorson, who learned his craft from Mike Leach. Sam Bradford (Oklahoma) is gone, Colt McCoy (Texas) is gone and Tech has a new coach. Why can't the Cowboys win the Big 12 South?
-- James White, Stillwater, Okla.

Four reasons:

1. Mike Gundy is still their head coach.

2. They lost to OU and Texas last year by a combined score of 68-14.

3. They lost nearly their entire starting offensive line, linebacking corps and secondary.

4. Mike Gundy is still their head coach

sooner59
5/13/2010, 12:08 AM
Heh!

OU-HSV
5/13/2010, 12:11 AM
Not to mention, what the heck does his comment about Dana Holgorson being a Mike Leach protege have to do with winning the Big 12 South? Mike Leach himself couldn't even do that. Maybe he'll be able to help their production, but just because the guy learned from Leach doesn't mean he'll help them consistently win even as many games as Leach did while he was at Tech.

And he forgot to mention they still have the most totally enormously amazing super extreme high super powered offense in the world that will never be stopped. (don't they?) or am I missing something. ;) :D

goingoneight
5/13/2010, 12:24 AM
What does Mike Gundy do after he wins the National Championship?

Turns off his Playstation.

Collier11
5/13/2010, 12:24 AM
Its his New York Yankees Job, LOL

Breadburner
5/13/2010, 08:11 AM
Those fans are something else....Reading O.P. is quite entertaining......

BigTime1
5/13/2010, 08:19 AM

Good One!

Stitch Face
5/13/2010, 09:58 AM
Not to mention, what the heck does his comment about Dana Holgorson being a Mike Leach prototype

I think you mean protege. I doubt Mike Leach was engineered from an earlier Dana Holgorson design...

Boomer.....
5/13/2010, 10:09 AM
Pretty spot on!

agoo758
5/13/2010, 10:38 AM

Definately telling all my sooner friends when I get off of work! :D

In all seriousness, I am not sure what the whole fuss about Gundy is about. You have to admit he has had some moderate success since hes been there. Sure, his team isnt on the same level as us, but when have the pokers EVER been?

SteelClip49
5/13/2010, 10:40 AM
OSU fans clamor their recent success is worth noting because of how they are able to compete in the South. Well, I have got news for them sheep herders under their glorified coach.

Under Mike Gundy vs. the South.....

2005: (1-4) beat TTU

2006: (1-4) beat Baylor

2007: (2-3) beat TTU and Baylor

2008: (2-3) beat Baylor and A&M

2009: (3-2) beat Baylor, A&M, TTU

Total: (9-16) in 5 seasons with scrap wins. It's surprising they beat TTU 3 times yet those were played in Stoolwater.

In other words....PATHETIC. The most important record for Oklahoma State under Mike Gundy is (0-10) vs OU and Texas.

Salt City Sooner
5/13/2010, 11:08 AM
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=94582 :D

Jello Biafra
5/13/2010, 12:04 PM
[The Cowboys have Brandon Weeden at QB, who played pro baseball and has a cannon for an arm. He reminds me a lot of Chris Weinke at Florida State.

other than the fact that he is 37 years old, honestly, i can't think of a similarity at all.....

NOVSooner
5/13/2010, 12:39 PM
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=94582 :D

like a bunch of school kids beating up on each other...hilarious! :D

badger
5/13/2010, 12:58 PM
Ooo, I've got a better one:

What does Mike Gundy do after OSU wins the National Championship?

Answer: Congratulates the golf/cross country/wrestling team.

OU_Sooners75
5/13/2010, 01:03 PM
Link failure!

Collier11
5/13/2010, 01:04 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/05/11/terrelle-pryor/index.html

OU_Sooners75
5/13/2010, 01:07 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/05/11/terrelle-pryor/1.html

Flagstaffsooner
5/13/2010, 01:42 PM
BTW OU vs osu 1988 on ESPNC at 4PM CDT.

badger
5/13/2010, 01:43 PM
What else is funny are these articles out here that have Pokedom leaders (and T-Bone, of course) saying they want the Big 12 to stay as it is. How sayeth the Pickens?

We're attractive.

He said this in response to OSU's best Big 12 season ever - being solely in... second place... in the Big 12!

...South.

:rolleyes:

TopDawg
5/13/2010, 01:50 PM
Why can't the Cowboys win the Big 12 South?

Because they're the Cowboys.

badger
5/13/2010, 02:20 PM
Because they're the Cowboys.

In the case of last season, there were two reasons why they couldn't win the Big 12 South, and that would be, the two Big 12 South opponents they lost to:

1- OU
2- Texas

Those two reasons will continue to be the major reasons why OSU cannot win the Big 12 South... that and many, many other reasons.

3- Mike Gundy
4- Crappy recruiting
5- Crappy coaching
6- Crappy facilities (ooo, invisible athletic village and 60k stadium with 50k fans!)
7- 49 championships that are not in football
8- "Cowboys 4ever" song
9- Orange is blindingly orange
10- Crazy fan expectations

IBleedCrimson
5/13/2010, 02:27 PM
Mike is starting to look...well , like maybe not the best of Coaches???

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=94582

hahahahahaha

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2010, 02:33 PM
i for one dont understand the insults thrown at Mike Gundy...I hope he stays coach at OSU for a long time to come and will support him being the coach anytime they think of making a change

Collier11
5/13/2010, 02:34 PM
Id love for him to be the osu coach for a long time

badger
5/13/2010, 02:43 PM
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=94582

hahahahahaha

Well, for a fanbase that loves to rub its national championship tally in our face all of the time, we should expect nothing less than uber criticism when a program doesn't add to that all-important national championship tally.

OSU football doesn't have any championships? Well shucks, let's fire the coach and bring in one that DOES win em!

:D Maybe they'll hire Leach.

:eek:

:D Oh wait, Leach loses to Gundy, so that'd never happen... and therefore, they'll never beat us.

Jacie
5/13/2010, 04:13 PM
Gotta hand it to Stewart, he didn't pull a Jenny Carlson. He attacked Mike Gundy and we all know why . . .

stoopified
5/13/2010, 05:12 PM
Ooo, I've got a better one:

What does Mike Gundy do after OSU wins the National Championship?

Answer: Congratulates the golf/cross country/wrestling team.Naw man,Mike wakes up with a huge smile after winning the NC,then breaks down crying when he realizes it was only a dream.

OSUAggie
5/13/2010, 05:24 PM
Gotta hand it to Stewart, he didn't pull a Jenny Carlson. He attacked Mike Gundy and we all know why . . .

He's been all over Gundy's *** since the Jenni thing.

badger
5/13/2010, 05:53 PM
He's been all over Gundy's *** since the Jenni thing.

OK Aggie - I would like your honest, Aggie opinion here -

What do YOU think of Gundy? Here, I'll give you options:

a) God's gift to Aggies like me
b) The reason we'll never beat OU
c) The reason we'll never beat Texas
d) The reason we'll never beat OU or Texas
e) I'm a patient Aggie. Gundy will be best coach in his conference, even if it doesn't happen till we get bumped to C-USA

OSUAggie
5/13/2010, 10:55 PM
I'm fine with Mike for now.

He has addressed his shortcomings, for the most part, when it either became painfully obvious that they needed to be addressed or he was told to do so. The Bill Young hire was something that was sorely needed, and I think it's working out well. He has retained his most important assistants (Wickline and DeForest) and I think the Holgerson hire will be even better than the BY hire.

He quit bitching at the media so much after going ape **** in '07.

He's recruiting well.

He has shown improvement as a decision-maker but still has some glaring issues that need to be addressed (like quit showing favoritism to players that have been in the program longer even though it's obvious that they suck or only have 1 arm or whatever).

And we've improved every season since the rebuilding debacle of '05, so what's not to be happy about?

Sure, I'd like some more wins. And I'd like for them to come over OU and/or Texas, but I think we're on the right track. It's a bit of an uphill battle when two ****ing monsters are in the same division, but I like the progress. At least we're not losing as many games that we have no business losing.

Collier11
5/13/2010, 10:59 PM
I think the issue with OU fans (atleast me) is that osu fans talk like they are or ever will be a program at the level of OU and texas and it just wont ever happen. They might have a season here or there but they will never be a program at our level, yet most osu fans act like they are relevant on that level.

starclassic tama
5/14/2010, 02:18 PM
sam bradford was gone last year and they still could barely cross the 50

Mad Dog Madsen
5/14/2010, 02:33 PM
sam bradford was gone last year and they still could barely cross the 50

I don't think Sammy would've played on D anyways. :D

Mad Dog Madsen
5/14/2010, 02:41 PM
LMAO! Somebody on OP actually defended Gundy and said, "Oh, and don't forget those back-to-back 9 win seasons. And finishing second in the Big XII South last year!" Pure comedy over there... :D

Collier11
5/14/2010, 02:46 PM
yet they still lost to us last yr

NormanPride
5/14/2010, 03:11 PM
How was last year an improvement over '08?

goingoneight
5/14/2010, 05:22 PM

More home games, more patsies in the schedule.

Georgia's worst team in a decade, I think
Two patsies
Mizzou = down from 2008... game in Stoolwater
ISU
Tceh never wins in Stoolwater
Colorado... well... they tried their best to lose to them :D
Baylor, A&M

Basically, I see it like this... let's trade schedules:
Georgia's a good name opponent, and has been good under Richt... but they were down, and we don't lose in Norman. This was a home game for Aggy.
1-0
I honestly give us a W over Houston... I know we had offensive problems last year... but again... Norman.
2-0
3-0 Patsie 1 in Norman, 4-0 Patsie #2 in Norman.
Mizzou in Norman = W
Colorado in Norman = W
Iowa State = W
Baylor = W

... that's already OUr 2009 8 wins.

Tech in Norman = W#9

A&M got pwned by us in 2009... but we had serious road game issues in 2009. We can hang 60 on someone in Norman... but we could give up 40 and flatline on offense on the road. Tossup. I think if we're title-contending, the likelihood of a road game brain fart favors us to actually show up.

So worst-case scenario... even an OU team that suffered a very rough year could easily have been 9-1 until you throw in that Texas game. Sure, it ended 16-13. That's how it goes... but we're playing the comparison game. Is Sam hurt without Colby Clawson? Even if he is... the comparison to OU playing in Dallas versus landing them ON YOUR HOME FIELD is just silly. Texas, even against a beaten-up OU team can't possibly say that playing in Norman would have been the same outcome. Can they beat us whenever, wherever? They're a top-program, so yeah. But the numbers don't lie after 11 seasons... only two losses have been coughed up in Norman. Much like the competitive game that ended in a Sooner loss in Dallas, this game's a tossup. It never was competitive IN STILWATER.

The only reason OSU had a "better" season was an easier schedule. OU and Texas proved the 9-win Pokes to be a paper tiger. Big difference between the win/loss numbers of OU and UT last year... but even so, both teams were clearly BETTER TEAMS than Orange State (injuries considered).

Now, having ranted and raved on and on about aggy... they can certainly do worse than what Gundy's done there. They did for ages before him. He's earned his keep as HC at OSU... by their standards.

OSUAggie
5/14/2010, 05:35 PM

6-2 vs. 5-3.

NormanPride
5/14/2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah, but anyone who actually watched football knew you guys were much worse than in 2008.

goingoneight
5/14/2010, 05:51 PM
we get Tech at home every other year.

FIFY. :D

OU-HSV
5/15/2010, 03:16 PM
I think you mean protege. I doubt Mike Leach was engineered from an earlier Dana Holgorson design...

Yeah.

tulsaoilerfan
5/15/2010, 05:42 PM
I think the issue with OU fans (atleast me) is that osu fans talk like they are or ever will be a program at the level of OU and texas and it just wont ever happen. They might have a season here or there but they will never be a program at our level, yet most osu fans act like they are relevant on that level.

Hell they aren't even on a level with ATM; didn't those Aggies at least win a national title back in the 50's? Plus they also have a Big 12 title

bluedogok
5/15/2010, 10:52 PM
Hell they aren't even on a level with ATM; didn't those Aggies at least win a national title back in the 50's?
1919 & 1939

Plus they also have a Big 12 title
They have played in two, 1997 & 1998, winning in 1998.

12/6/97 - Nebraska 54, Texas A&M 15 - San Antonio
12/5/98 - Texas A&M 36, Kansas St. 33 - St. Louis

Chiliman
5/17/2010, 03:24 PM
Too funny!

IB4OU2
5/17/2010, 03:40 PM
i for one dont understand the insults thrown at Mike Gundy...I hope he stays coach at OSU for a long time to come and will support him being the coach anytime they think of making a change

He should be there a while...he's a man, he's 42.