PDA

View Full Version : I AM LAWNMOWER MAN!

Okla-homey
5/11/2010, 07:48 PM
Okay, my push lawn mower was busted. As in it wouldn't start and leaked gas. The blade was also duller than a very dull thing. I considered taking it to some lawnmower repair feller for repair.

Then I reasoned, "hey, its just a lawnmower. It is merely a two-stroke engine on wheels with a blade attached. I am a kollege grajyut, thus I should be able to do this."

Therefore, after arriving home this evening from the salt mine, I took it apart, cleaned everything, jury-rigged a gasket or two from a piece of an inner tube and replaced the cracked and dried-up gaskets with my creations, tightened hose clamps, put in a new spark plug, and pulled the blade and sharpened it with a bastard file and a Dremel tool I've owned for years (a gift) for which I've never found a use. Until now.

I put it all back together, and it cranked on the third pull. And no gas leaks :D

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/karlchilders.jpg

yermom
5/11/2010, 08:06 PM
you lose points for never using the Dremel before

srsly

btk108
5/12/2010, 06:35 AM
mow, Forrest, mow!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uHI15WJ8d4I/SwyypyEUKkI/AAAAAAAAAJY/UZtV7RZcPR4/s1600/forrest-gump-running.jpg

StoopTroup
5/12/2010, 07:52 AM
Do not try to grow french fries potatoes and harvest them with a Kaiser Blade. Also....there may be proof that putting mustard on your french fried potatoes could lead to mental problems. Congrats with the mower repair....but be warned...you could be showing early signs of a very disturbing mental condition that leads to making 911 calls.

1890MilesToNorman
5/12/2010, 07:58 AM
You deserve some french fried potaters Carl! :D

btk108
5/12/2010, 09:28 AM
Do not try to grow french fries potatoes and harvest them with a Kaiser Blade. Also....there may be proof that putting mustard on your french fried potatoes could lead to mental problems. Congrats with the mower repair....but be warned...you could be showing early signs of a very disturbing mental condition that leads to making 911 calls.

heh..sounds like someone's been into the mustard :eek:

Oldnslo
5/12/2010, 09:38 AM
I bow to your internal combustion McGuyver prowess. A small engine is still an engine.

Okla-homey
5/12/2010, 10:02 AM

I'll take me some of the bigguns. Umm-hmmm.

olevetonahill
5/12/2010, 10:07 AM
The only prob I see Homester is the innertube gasket . The gas is gonna make it all gooey and shat and it will start leaking.If its in the Crab ya can get a Kit fer it fer cheap at Oriellies or just about any parts store .

Other than that Ya done Good bro

StoopTroup
5/12/2010, 11:05 AM
heh..sounds like someone's been into the mustard :eek:

I'm thinking I should hire out the yard work now. :D

Flagstaffsooner
5/12/2010, 01:06 PM
I'm thinking I should hire out the yard work now. :D

http://www.osu-tulsa.okstate.edu/images/hire-osu-logo-color.jpg

NormanPride
5/12/2010, 01:14 PM
I have a powered mower that the drive has gone out on. Not the blade and stuff, that works fine. Just the part that pushes it along has died, and I have no idea how to get in there.

Flagstaffsooner
5/12/2010, 01:28 PM
Once again,

Get an *** to pull it,

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vl82uG2c1XE/SDZTfoBTAuI/AAAAAAAAA50/VCFqqxy60Mw/s400/harvester2.jpg

Mjcpr
5/12/2010, 01:35 PM
Nice try, but I win the redneck lawn mower repair award with my mulching mower conversion kit.

Make your own. Like a good Okie, that's what I did. http://www.slickdawg.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Our old house was on a corner lot and had a huge yard. We had a small riding mower (that mulched) we used, a push mower to get what the rider couldn't reach, edger, weed eater, etc. When we moved last fall, we bought a house with a TINY yard so we only kept the push mower. This is the push mower I bought when I bought my first house which was around 1996. It's a cheap, Wal Mart Murray with a B&S engine.

Anyway, without the riding mower I thought I might have to buy a new mulching push mower or, gasp!, rake the yard. I looked online for some kind of mulching kit but had no luck. So, I bought a cheap, rubber welcome mat at Target and cut a piece out of it large enough to cover the exit hole. Drilled 4 holes around the hole to attach this piece to the mower and attached it with some various nut/bolt/washer combos I had in my tool box. Basically, a mulcher is just a mower with a mulching blade (it has cutting areas on the top of the blade as well) and some way to keep the grass in the blade housing to be chopped into tiny pieces and left on the lawn for additional fertilization.

Now, I usually can't fix ****, but I'm proud of this masterpiece. We'll see how well it works if it ever dries out around here. http://www.slickdawg.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9011/mower001.jpg

Okla-homey
5/12/2010, 01:47 PM
Nice try, but I win the redneck lawn mower repair award with my mulching mower conversion kit.

Methinks it may just choke down and die with your modification because you need a certain type of lawnmower blade for mulching. That said, you should be able to pick one up for a few shekels.

Otherwise, you could first make a few passes with your slingblade, some people call it a Kaiser blade, but I call it a slingblade, before you mow.

Mjcpr
5/12/2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah, part of my modification was a mulching blade as well. It has worked fine for a year now. :D

C&CDean
5/12/2010, 02:51 PM
Dude, what brand of mower is it? Cause if it ain't a LawnBoy, it ain't a 2-stroke.

TUSooner
5/12/2010, 04:09 PM
As soon as Homey gets a real job I expect he'll buy himself a new mower.

btk108
5/12/2010, 04:12 PM
Dude, what brand of mower is it? Cause if it ain't a LawnBoy, it ain't a 2-stroke.

Was wondering that myself.

btk108
5/12/2010, 04:12 PM

Dude...I'm ready for some right now!

btk108
5/12/2010, 04:13 PM

Remember....green side up...green side up.

btk108
5/12/2010, 04:14 PM
The only prob I see Homester is the innertube gasket . The gas is gonna make it all gooey and shat and it will start leaking.If its in the Crab ya can get a Kit fer it fer cheap at Oriellies or just about any parts store .

Other than that Ya done Good bro

Don't be a critic of his MacGuyverin'

Okla-homey
5/12/2010, 04:23 PM

mea-culpa. Four stroke. But I fixed the bastage. Although based on Howard's suggestion, I reckon I'll have to get me a real gasket for the carb at some point.

btk108
5/12/2010, 04:26 PM
mea-culpa. Four stroke. But I fixed the bastage. Although based on Howard's suggestion, I reckon I'll have to get me a real gasket for the carb at some point.

Did you put mixed gas in it?

Okla-homey
5/12/2010, 04:27 PM
As soon as Homey gets a real job I expect he'll buy himself a new mower.

That's just it my man. That lawn mower was only two years old when we left the 'Gump in 2005 where I had a big yard you'll recall. It sat unused from Spring '05 until now because the place we lived in Tulsa before the current casa had lawn service included as part of the HOA dues.

New place, no HOA provided lawn service. Therefore, it was either hire some guy to cut it weekly, or do it myself. I chose to breathe new life into my seven year old mower, which has only had two years of service.

btk108
5/12/2010, 04:29 PM
I chose to breathe new life into my seven year old mower, which has only had two years of service.

Don't burn your lips on the exhaust pipe giving it CPR ;)

Flagstaffsooner
5/12/2010, 04:32 PM
Toro does ding dings.

btk108
5/12/2010, 04:32 PM
I thought Toro was a 2 stroker, also....good call Flag.

Okla-homey
5/12/2010, 04:36 PM
Did you put mixed gas in it?

no. it don't call for that.

C&CDean
5/12/2010, 04:38 PM
I don't think Toro has made a 2-stroke in many a year. I also believe LawnBoy quit making them last year.

btk108
5/12/2010, 04:41 PM
no. it don't call for that.

Yah...I know...was just makin sure you did :D

btk108
5/12/2010, 04:42 PM
I have been known to put diesel in a gas powered vehicle.....so I just check up on ppl now

Flagstaffsooner
5/12/2010, 05:15 PM
I think the guberment has pretty much outlawed the 2 stroke. And they call Arizona racial profiling.
http://realneo.us/system/files/leaf-blowers-from-marsP1120.jpg

Okla-homey
5/12/2010, 08:20 PM
I think the guberment has pretty much outlawed the 2 stroke. And they call Arizona racial profiling.
http://realneo.us/system/files/leaf-blowers-from-marsP1120.jpg

You know, if you wanted to pull some serious crap, as in case Fort Knox or get too close to a politician, just strap a leaf blower on and start blowing. No one, not even the Secret Service, would stop a guy operating a leafblower who appears to be working. :D

SunnySooner
5/12/2010, 09:34 PM
Or, instead of investing all that time, effort, and risk to bodily appendages, you could just go on Craigslist and buy a mower for $40 bucks or so. It will last you about 3, maybe 4 summers at which point you rinse and repeat. In the last 10 years, I've spent less than $100 on what is now my 3rd mower, and it's a dandy. It may last 5 or 6 summers before it goes blades up. Regardless, I've yet to have a greasy or broken fingernail, and my yard is always neatly cropped. Buy y'all have fun with those tools, hoses, gaskets and such, I know about boys and their toys. ;) :P :D

StoopTroup
5/12/2010, 10:52 PM
my yard is always neatly cropped, I know about boys and their toys. ;) :P :D

Go on.....:pop: :hot: :D

olevetonahill
5/12/2010, 11:18 PM
Or, instead of investing all that time, effort, and risk to bodily appendages, you could just go on Craigslist and buy a mower for $40 bucks or so. It will last you about 3, maybe 4 summers at which point you rinse and repeat. In the last 10 years, I've spent less than $100 on what is now my 3rd mower, and it's a dandy. It may last 5 or 6 summers before it goes blades up. Regardless, I've yet to have a greasy or broken fingernail, and my yard is always neatly cropped. Buy y'all have fun with those tools, hoses, gaskets and such, I know about boys and their toys. ;) :P :D

Broad That dont add up nor make sense :rolleyes:
10 years
3 mowers
they last 5/6 years :eek:

Is that the New math shat ?:P

btk108
5/12/2010, 11:28 PM
Go on.....:pop: :hot: :D

PERV!...you get positive spek for this one.

Okla-homey
5/13/2010, 06:15 AM

It's not about whether a person can afford to replace a busted mower. It's about whether a person has the wherewithall to fix said mower when it breaks. Besides, as one of this board's leading conservationists, I could not abide simply discarding a repairable lawnmower and adding to our nation's overwhelming mountain of discarded mechanical equipment.;)

SunnySooner
5/13/2010, 07:12 AM
Come on Vet, you know I'm blond, I don't "do" math. It's called geusstimation, and it's your friend, my friend.;)

And Homey, I greatly admire your ingenuity and good-ole American cheapskatedness. Look at this way, think of all the money I'm saving on manicures by just tossing them when they break. Although the last one I gave to a repair shop for parts. And I always buy em used, so it's some form of recycling. See, we're all winners here!!!! I get a lawnmower that runs, I make the prepubescent male in my house push it, and there's one less thing on that list that Mr. SS has to tend to when he gets back. Winners!!:D :D :D

XingTheRubicon
5/14/2010, 08:49 AM
This one begat that one and that one begat this one, and lo and behold someone says some **** about innertubes and gaskets... - just how retarded are you?